Head lice infestation is so common. It is not a health hazard, a cause of disease or a symptom of poor hygiene. Head lice can live close to the scalp and need blood to survive. Although head lice infestation can happen in anybody, it is most common in children aged 3- 14. Fortunately, there are a variety of home remedies that can help you treat head lice naturally. So, check it out!
List Of Natural Home Remedies For Head Lice People Can Apply At Home:
In this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best home remedies for head lice people can do at home that can help you eliminate all of the lice and their nits from your head. So, if you want to resolve with the lice problem with the natural ingredients in your kitchen, keep both of your eyes on this interesting article right now.
I. Symptoms Of Head Lice
Head lice infestation spreads from one person to another with ease through direct contact with contaminated hair, combs, brushes, bedding or clothing. A common symptom of head lice is that you feel something crawling on the head. Also, you can have a scalp itchiness and red bumps on your scalp. In case you or anybody else in your family develops this problem, you have to try to deal with the problem as soon as possible.
II. Natural Home Remedies For Head Lice
Now, discover some of the simplest ways on how to remove all of the lice from your hair. All of these ways are safe and easy to use, so you do not need to hesitate to apply any of these remedies at the comfort of your own home.
Another great one out of the best home remedies for head lice naturally is mayonnaise. Studies found that mayonnaise can help suffocate the head lice and then kill off them. It is considered as a home remedy for treating head lice. To use mayonnaise for treating head lice, you can follow the instructions below:
- Cover your hair with some mayonnaise.
- Then, leave it on your hair for at least 5 hours by using a shower cap.
- Wash off your hair by using your regular shampoo.
- After that, dry your hair with a hair dryer to make sure that the head lice are dead.
- Finally, remove the lice with a nit comb
- Repeat this remedy once a week for 2 months.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be used as a natural insecticide to kill off head lice. Addition to this, tea tree oil also helps reduce the itching naturally. To use tea tree oil when it comes to home remedies for head lice, you can apply any of the following methods:
- Mix 3 tbsp. of olive oil with 1 tsp. of tea tree oil.
- Also, add 1 tsp. of eucalyptus oil if needed.
- Then, apply this oil mixture on your hair thoroughly.
- Allow it to sit on for about 20- 30 minutes before shampooing your hair as normal.
- Repeat this remedy twice a week within 1-2 months.
- Mix 4 drops of tea tree oil with one ounce of your regular shampoo.
- Use this mixture to shampoo the hair as normal.
- When your hair is dry, remove the head lice with a nit comb.
- Apply this remedy for at least 2 months.
Note: When using tea tree oil, you should be careful because it is quite strong.
List of Top 14 Tips On How To Prevent Head Lice In Children And Adults will show you some of the preventive measures that can help prevent head lice in both children and adults, so check it out.
3. Olive oil
This kitchen staple contains excellent smothering agents, which can help kill off head lice and their nits. Therefore, if you are looking for home remedies for head lice, you should consider making use of olive oil.
- Apply some olive oil on your scalp and hair and then gently massage it.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it on overnight
- The next morning, wash it off with clean water
- When your hair is dry, use a nit comb to remove all the head lice and nits.
4. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac is known as a natural insecticide, so you can make use of it if you want to get rid of head lice. Indian lilac can help relieve the scalp irritations caused due to scratching on the head. Addition to this, it also contains moisturizing properties, which means that it will not cause scalp issues.
- Apply a paste made from Indian lilac leaves on the hair and scalp.
- Leave it on until it is dry and then wash off the hair
- Repeat this remedy at least twice a week within 2 months.
- Grind some Indian lilac seeds to get a fine powder.
- Then, mix enough groundnut oil with 1 tsp. of this powder to create a thick paste.
- After that, apply this paste on your scalp and hair and let it stay on overnight.
- The next morning, wash off the hair.
- Reapply this remedy once a week for about 2 months.
- Use some pure Indian lilac oil to massage your hair and scalp.
- Let it sit on for at least one hour before rinsing it off with your regular shampoo.
- After that, use a nit comb in order to remove head lice when your hair is dry.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times a week within 1-2 months.
It may be surprising, but researchers found that almonds could help you remove head lice effectively and naturally.
- At first, soak 10 almonds in water and leave it on for overnight.
- Peel and grind these almonds to get a thick paste the next morning
- Then, add 3 tbsp. of lemon juice to your almond paste.
- Apply this paste on your hair and scalp thoroughly and let it sit on for 2 hours
- Finally, wash it off using cold water.
- Reapply this remedy once a week for about 2 months.
Onions can be used as a natural one on the list of home remedies for head lice that you should not skip out! Studies found that onions contain high level of sulfur that can help kill off head lice.
- Grind 4- 5 onions in a food processor until you get a paste
- Then, place this paste on a sieve and use a spoon to press it to take out the onion juice.
- After that, gently massage your hair and scalp with the onion juice
- Cover it with a shower cap and wait for at least 2 hours
- Next, wash off your hair with your regular shampoo and warm water
- When your hair is dry, use a nit comb to eliminate all the head lice from your head
- Reapply this treatment daily for 3 consecutive days. Then, reapply it once a week for about 2 months to remove all of the head lice.
An effective one out of natural home remedies for head lice that we want to mention in this article is vinegar. The high content of acetic acid found in vinegar can help you kill off head lice effectively. Addition to this, the vinegar can also help remove the dead nits from your head.
- Mix equal amounts of mineral oil and pure vinegar.
- Then, apply this mixture to your hair and scalp before you go to sleep.
- Use a shower cap to cover your head and hair and let it sit on overnight.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo as normal the next morning.
- Dilute equal amounts of vinegar with water
- Then, use this solution to rinse off your hair.
- Let it sit on for about 10 minutes before washing off your hair again using warm water.
Note: Reapply any of the remedies above for 2- 3 times a week for about 2 months. Also, you should use a nit comb to comb your hair thoroughly after applying these remedies.
8. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly can be used to treat head lice effectively thanks to its stifling effect. It will suffocate the lice by clogging their breathing holes. Now, to know home remedies for head lice by using petroleum jelly, you can follow the instructions below:
- Apply some petroleum jelly on your hair and scalp.
- Then, use a shower cap to cover your head and leave it on overnight
- Use some baby oil to clear the petroleum jelly the next morning
- After that, wash your hair with your shampoo
- When the hair is dry, remove all of the lice and nits by using a nit comb.
- Reapply this remedy once a week for about 1- 2 months.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil offers your hair a variety of benefits, including treating head lice. It will suffocate the head lice and then kill off them. Now, if you want to know some natural home remedies for head lice with the help of coconut oil, you should take the following steps:
- At first, warm up 3 tbsp. of coconut oil
- Then, add a small amount of camphor to it.
- Apply this oil mixture all over your head, and gently massage your scalp.
- After that, use a shower cap to cover your head and leave it on overnight
- The next morning, wash it off with your regular shampoo.
- When your hair dries, use a nit comb to remove all of the head lice and nits.
- Reapply this remedy daily for about 5 days.
10. Rubbing Alcohol
When it comes to home remedies for head lice, you should not skip this ingredient. Rubbing alcohol can be used to kill off head lice and nits. Also, this disinfectant is safe for using, so you do not need to worry when using it on your head.
- Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol onto your hair
- Then, spread the rubbing alcohol throughout your hair with your fingers
- Let it sit on for a couple of minutes.
- Now, apply some your regular conditioner onto your scalp.
- Next, use a comb to remove all the head lice before shampooing your hair
- Repeat this remedy once a week for 1- 2 months.
11. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another great way out of the best natural home remedies for head lice thanks to its acidic nature. Also, it is very effective in preventing the head lice infestation.
- Apply some lemon juice to your scalp.
- Let it sit on for half an hour before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Reapply this remedy once a week for the best results.
- Add 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice to a paste made from 4 garlic cloves.
- Then, apply this mixture on your head and gently massage around your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a thick towel and let it sit on for about 30 minutes.
- After that, wash it off with fresh water and then with your regular shampoo.
- Reapply this remedy for 5 consecutive days to prevent the head lice problem.
12. Use Hair Dryers
Hot-air methods have been found to help kill off nits and live head lice. According to a study, a blow dryer that uses direct heat could help eliminate nearly 98% of nits as well as 55% of head lice. Therefore, you can consider using a hair dryer on your clean hair if you want to eradicate the head lice. However, keep in mind that you do not use hot air after you any of the chemical lice treatments because some may have flammable ingredients.
13. Follow A Good Personal Hygiene
To get rid of head lice effectively, you need to follow a good personal hygiene regularly:
- Throw out all of your infested bedding and clothing: Keep in mind that lice can live in clothes and bedding up to a month. Therefore, you should throw them out instead of trying to save them.
- Wash your new clothes with hot water, and then dry them at a high temperature.
- Wash your bedding, clothes and other personal items regularly
- Take regular baths or showers with a mild soap.
Hope that this article can be helpful for your problem. Actually, all of the home remedies as I mentioned above have been reported to be effective in eliminating head lice and nits from the head without causing any unwanted side effect. So, you can feel free to apply of these remedies as soon as possible if you or other people around you are having this problem. Finally, if you know other great home remedies for head lice, share them by dropping your comments in the comment section below.
Leave a Reply