Fungal nail infection is a common problem for most of us. People develop a nail infection at some point in their lives. This infection develops slowly and causes unsightly and thickened nails. Sometimes, it is painful. Actually, fungal infections could impact any body part.
What Are Causes Of Fungal Nail Infection?
A fungal nail infection may happen due to the overgrowth of fungi under, in or on the nails. These fungi thrive in moist, warm environments, so such kind of environment could cause them to overpopulate naturally. The same fungi could result it athlete’s foot, ringworm, jock itch, aside from nail infection.
Fungi are already present in or on the human body can result in nail infections. They could spread from person to person. You could suffer from fungal nail infection from walking barefoot in pools or public showers or by using the shared personal items like nail clippers. For those having athlete’s foot, it could spread from the skin to nails.
Symptoms Of Fungal Nail Infection
People with fungal nail infection often have nails that:
– Turn white or yellow
– Get thicker
– Split or crumble, and it might separate from their skin
Once you get a fungal nail infection, it could be uncomfortable and sometimes painful to walk, wear shoes or stand at a position for a long time. Over time, the fungal nail infection can lead to permanent damage to your nail bed and nails.
Who Is At Risk Of Fungal Nail Infection?
It is estimated that most people have a fungal nail infection at some point of their lives. The most commonly impacted by this infection are toenails, in compared with fingernails. Besides, it is much more common in those people who are over 60 and those younger people sharing common items, including athletes and swimmers.
Also, fungal nail infection seems more common in people living in humid or hot climates. If you smoke cigarettes, then your risk of having fungal nail infection will be higher. People with diabetes, having a disease causing poor circulation, wearing artificial nails, swimming in a public swimming pool, having a nail injury, etc also have a higher risk of getting fungal nail infection.
When it comes to treating a fungal nail infection, it is not necessary for people with mid case or no symptoms to have a treatment. For instance, a single small toenail might be infected and remains little concern or painless. Some people will not go for a treatment because that treatment does not always cure the condition. Actually, the cure rates are from 60% to 80%. Also, treatment clearing the infection does not always restore the appearance of the infected nails to normal. It takes for a few months or even longer to let the anti-fungal medicines to be effective. Sometimes, unpleasant side-effects might go with some antifungal.
This article from Healthy Guide will help you find out how to treat fungal nail infection at home without using medicines. By applying these home remedies for fungal nail infection, you will get rid of fungal nail infection naturally. Check out top 21 home remedies for fungal nail infection below!
21 Must-Try Home Remedies For Fungal Nail Infection
1. Tea Tree Oil
With anti-fungal and anti-septic properties, tea tree oil is one of the most effective home remedies for fungal nail infection. This type of oil is often used to deal with different kinds of skin infections. What you need to do is:
– Mix several drops of tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil together
– Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture over your infected toenails.
– Wait for about 10 minutes and make use of a toothbrush to scrub the infected nails
– Follow this routine 2-3 times per day till you get satisfied results
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Having acidic feature, apple cider vinegar could prevent the spreading of fungal nail infection. Concurrently, it can kill fungi and bacteria.
– Mix water and apple cider vinegar together with the equal parts. Then, soak your nails in the solution for a half of an hour every day. After getting done, you dry the nails entirely. Follow this routine daily and you will see improvement quickly.
– Alternatively, you could make the antifungal exfoliating scrub by mixing coarsely rice flour with several spoons of apple cider vinegar. Apply this method several times per week to get rid of dead skin cells and keep your skin naturally soft.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is very famous for its versatile uses, ranging from skincare, hair care to treatment for health issues. This ingredient is available in most kitchens which could also be used to treat toenail fungus. Also, it can deal with foot odor.
Take these steps to get rid of symptoms of fungal nail infection:
– Mix ½ cup of baking soda, ½ cup of Epsom salt, and ¼ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide together and put them in 4 cups of hot water.
– Stir them well before adding ¼ cup of white vinegar into it.
– Then, soak your infected nail in the mixture for 10 minutes or so
– Rinse it off thoroughly with clean water, let your foot dry naturally
– Repeat this routine 2 times per day for a few weeks.
As an alternative, you can also make use of baking soda and sodium borate. As fungus needs the acidic environment to flourish, so the alkaline feature of baking soda can prevent toenail fungus from spreading by creating an unfavorable environment for it. Commonly known as borax, sodium borax is a mineral and also a great fungicide. If you combine it with baking soda, you can get a remedy which could treat nail fungus quickly. Mix borax powder and baking soda together with the 1:1 ratio, then add a little bit water to create a good paste. Wet your nails and rub the mixture gently over your affected nails. Apply this method twice per day and follow it for at least 2 weeks after the problem has improved.
Learn more: How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks Fast And Naturally – 25 Tips
4. White Vinegar
One of the simplest home remedies for fungal nail infection is white vinegar, which has antifungal properties that can kill the fungus naturally. Vinegar’ acidic nature can balance the pH levels of nails as well as skin; therefore, it makes them less vulnerable towards the growth of fungus. Also, it gives a relief from itching and boosts the healing process.
Steps to use white vinegar to treat fungal nail infection:
– Prepare a bowl which is big to soak your fingers or nails. Then, add white vinegar and warm water with the ratio of 1:2 into the bowl.
– Soak your infected nails into the solutions for 15 minutes
– Remove your nails from the mixture, and wash them thoroughly with clean water. Warrant that you remove all the traces of vinegar.
Note: In case that you feel an irritation, then try to dilute the vinegar with water.
Read more: List Of Natural Oils For Skin Care – Top 30 Great Oils To Apply
5. Listerine And Vinegar
The combination of Listerine and vinegar creates a good solution for fungal nail infection. Listerine has different kinds of alcohol which feature with antiseptic properties. The thymol present in Listerine acts as fungicide. Eucalyptol with 90% eucalyptus can reduce the pain and swelling associated with fungal nail infection. Meanwhile, the salicylate has organic acid shedding the dead skin cells and boosting the production of new cells. Also, it has non-steroidal anti-inflammatory which has analgesic properties.
– Mix equal amounts of vinegar and Listerine together in a big bowl which is enough to soak your nails into.
– Soak the infected nails into the solution and wait for 15 minutes
– Remove it off from the solution and use a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub your nails gently to eliminate dead skin cells.
– Reapply this method twice per day for several weeks. This treatment can take a few months to entirely remove the problem.
To get additional benefits, you can apply vicks to your nails at night, then wear gloves or socks. Wait till the next morning to rinse it off.
Read More: Top 15 Natural Home Remedies For Dark Underarms
According to a study, the ingredients (eucalyptus, menthol and camphor) available in Vicks bring effective results in treating fungal nail infection.
– Take a spoon to scoop out the vicks from its container. Do not use your finger to scoop to avoid sticking your infected finger to the vicks.
– Apply vicks over your infected nails, both under and down into the cuticle by using a cotton swab.
– Cover the fingers and toes with a socks/ bandage or gloves to avoid staining your furnishing and sheets.
– Reapply this method twice per day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
However, it is worth noting that this method may take a few months to see the improvement.
Check Out: How To Get Thicker Hair Naturally At Home – Best 20 Tips
7. Hydrogen Peroxide
In regard to home remedies for fungal nail infection, this treatment is very effective. Use the 3% hydrogen peroxide to make this treatment. The stronger versions of this ingredient are not safe and could result to irritation.
– Rinse your nails with tepid water.
– Then, add several drops of hydrogen peroxide on the cotton pad before placing it over your infected nails.
– Wait for 5 minutes and use another cotton pad to dry the nails.
– Repeat this routine 3-5 times per day. After the nail fungus clears, you repeat this process once per week for 2 to 3 months in order to prevent future formation.
Another way to use hydrogen peroxide for treating fungal nail infection is to combine it with water as the ratio of 1:1. Then, soak your nails in to the solution for 15 minutes or so. Remove it off and wash your nails thoroughly. Repeat the process every day before hitting the day for about 1.5 months to notice the good results.
8. Natural Home Remedies For Fungal Nail Infection – Hydrogen Peroxide And Vinegar
This method will last for 3 days.
– The first days, you soak your affected nails into a proper amount of 5% vinegar for about 5 minutes. During the process of soaking, pres and release your nails several times to make sure the vinegar can absorb under your nails. Rinse it off with water before patting it dry.
– The 2nd day, you soak your affected nails into a proper amount of 2% hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes or so. Repeat the same routine as the 1st day.
– The 3rd day, you repeat what you did in the 1st day. On the 4th day, repeat the 2nd day.
Do this method for about 3 weeks to get noticeable results. However, you should not combine both hydrogen peroxide and vinegar because it can forms peracetic acid which may have different properties that you are not aware of.
9. Epsom Salt
Containing antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, Epsom salt can exfoliate the nails as well as skin gently, thereby speeding up the recovery process. It is actually one of the most amazingly effective home remedies for fungal nail infection that we want to show here and encourage readers to learn and make use as soon as possible for good!
– Boil a proper amount of water. Then, allow it to cool down till your skin could tolerate it.
– Place the infected nails into the water and pour Epsom salt on your nails. Make sure that the Epsom salt can be surrounded your affected nails.
– Wait for 15 minutes before washing it thoroughly with water. Pat till it is totally dry.
– Repeat this routine thrice per day.
Another way to make use of Epsom salt for fungal nail infection is to mix it with tea tree oil.
As mentioned earlier, tea tree oil has antifungal properties. Epsom salt can soften the nails and skin, enabling the tea tree oil to reach the fungus which is presenting under your nails.
You can follow these steps:
– Add a proper amount of Epsom salt to a water basin. Then mix it with well to make the salts dissolved.
– Add several drops of the oil into that solution. To create a relaxing aroma therapy, you add several drops of lavender oil into.
– Soak your affected nails in the solution for about 20 minutes and dry them well. Try to focus on the areas between the toes or fingers. Wear socks or shoes after that.
– Repeat this routine twice per day.
10. Coconut Oil
Because having fatty acids, coconut oil can disturb the cell integration and damage fungus. Also, it has antifungal properties.
– Scoop out a small amount of coconut oil, then spread a thin layer of the oil over your infected nails, massage it gently for several minutes to make sure that the oil can get under your nails as well as behind the cuticles. In case you have some infected nails, you can soak a bandage into the oil, then wring out the excessive oil, apply it over your nails.
– Wear socks and wait till the next morning to remove the bandage.
– Reapply this method 3 to 6 times per day.
Note: after the infection has disappeared, you can use coconut oil every day to prevent the reoccurrence of this infection and get healthy nails.
Having antifungal properties, honey can treat toenail fungus by drawing out the toxins out the foot. Also, it has hydrogen peroxide which can heal your skin wounds.
– Take a small amount of honey to pour onto your infected nails
– Then wrap the nails using gauze. Wait for a few hours before removing it. Rinse the area with water. Pat it dry entirely.
– Keep following this process twice per day till you get your desired results.
To get additional benefits, you could treat fungal nail infection from inside by eating 1 tablespoon of honey plus with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per day.
12. Lavender Oil
Thanks to antifungal properties, lavender oil is one of the most effective home remedies for fungal nail infection, especially those with mild cases. What you need to do is:
– Put several drops of lavender oil onto your infected nails
– Cover the areas with gloves or socks
– Repeat this routine before hitting the hay. When you see the nails looking healed, you should still follow the treatment at least 2 weeks because it may still remain traces of fungus.
Note: do not wear socks containing synthetic fibers. Wear socks which are made up of wool.
13. Olive Leaf Extract
The extract taken from olive leaves has antioxidant, anti-aging and antibiotic properties. If applied to your infected toenails, it could decrease the infection and restore skin surrounding skin.
You can take advantage of olive leaf capsules to speed up your healing process.
14. Oregano Oil
Containing antifungal properties, oregano oil can kill the fungus causing fungal nail infection.
– Mix several drops of oregano oil with 1 teaspoon of a certain carrier oil
– Then apply the mixture over your infected nails.
– Wait till it dries entirely.
– Repeat this routine twice per day till your infection disappears.
You can use garlic as a home treatment for toenail fungus thanks to its antifungal properties of allicin.
– Mix garlic oil with white vinegar as the ratio of 1:1.
– Apply the mixture over your infected areas, cover it with an elastic bandage
That way, this solution will slow down the activities of fungus. But, if there is not garlic oil available in your house, you can mix olive oil with finely crushed garlic. Consuming a clove of garlic daily also can speed up your healing process.
Turmeric is another solution for fungal nail infection and other types of infections. It is because of the anti-fungal, antioxidant properties of this ingredient.
– Add a small amount of water to turmeric powder.
– Then, apply it over your infected nails. Let it dry.
– Wash it off with clean water.
17. Orange Oil
Because of antifungal properties, orange oil can kill the fungus causing fungal nail infection and boost the healing process.
– Take a dropper and pour several drops of orange oil onto your infected nails
– Wait for 1 hour before wash it off with clean water, let it dry after that
– Repeat the application twice or thrice per day
If your skin is sensitive, you should dilute orange oil with carrier oil such as olive oil in the ratio of 1:1. Do a patch test before using this treatment. In case you have citrus allergies, then avoid this method.
18. Corn Meal
This ingredient contains a form of fungus which is not harmful to the human body but deadly to candida and other specific types of fungus.
To take advantage of corn meal for treating fungal nail infection, you should follow these steps:
– Take a bowl which is enough to soak your fingers and toes in. Mix corn meal with water as the ratio of 1:2.
– Let the mixture be aside for 1 hour to let the corn meal soak in the water.
– Then, soak your infected nails in the solution for at least 30 minutes. Then, rinse your nails with water before patting them dry.
– Repeat this routine as often as possible
19. Lemon Juice
With antiseptic, antifungal properties and citric acid, lemon juice is effective in treating infections, especially fungal infection.
You can use lemon juice as one of the simplest home remedies for fungal nail infection. There are two ways to make use of this ingredient.
– 1st method: squeeze a fresh lemon and apply the juice onto your infected nails. Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water and pat dry.
– 2nd method: combine the same amount of olive oil and lemon juice together. Then, apply that mixture over your infected area. Wait for 2 to 3 hours before rinsing it off with water.
A lot of people have gotten success in treating fungal nail infection with the help of bleach. Because bleach is a chemical agent which could burn the skin easily, you should try this treatment with caution. Also, dilute the solution before using.
– Mix 1 tablespoon of bleach with 1 gallon of water, mix them well
– Soak the infected nails in the mixture for 20 minutes
– After that, rinse it off with clean water, pat them dry.
– Repeat this routine every day.
In fact, this is also among the best natural home remedies for fungal nail infection that everyone who really cares about their skin health can make use at home to keep this condition at bay naturally!
21. Fungal Nail Lotion
The last but not less effective treatment among many home remedies for fungal nail infection is to mix apple cider vinegar, lavender oil, and tea tree oil together. This combination can relieve symptoms of nail infections and give healthy nails.
– Mix 4 teaspoons of ACV with 6 drops of tea tree oil and 10 drops of lavender oil.
– Put them in a dark glass bottle and close its lid. Shake well
– Then, add 30 ml (about 1/8 cup) of diluted water in the bottle. Close the lid and shake the bottle again.
– Take a cotton ball to apply this solution on your infected nails thrice per day. Shake before using.
After reading a list of home remedies for fungal nail infection, you should also acknowledge some dietary and lifestyle tips to treat and prevent nail fungus.
Dietary Tips For Nail Fungus Treatment
In fact, diet plays a crucial role in controlling the fungus and bacteria present within the human body. Some specific foods might control fungus’s activities whilst other might trigger its growth.
Foods to add to your diet plan:
– Anti-fungal foods: these foods include onion, garlic, coconut oil, carrots, and raw honey. They have antifungal properties so adding them to your diet plan will be a good way to take control of symptoms of nail fungus.
– Probiotics: when your flora is imbalance, it will result to fungal overgrowth. That case, probiotics will bring balance to the flora again. Kefir, Greek Yogurt, miso, sauerkraut, and tempeh are good options to include probiotics to your daily diet.
– Seaweed: this ingredient can help fight against candida, eliminate toxic pollutants as well as heavy metals and cleanse off the intestinal tract. Being rich in iodine, seaweed can also balance the thyroid gland.
– Olive leaf extract: it can kill a lot of types of virus, protozoa, bacteria, and fungus. Moreover, it can also cleanse as well as detoxify the human body.
Foods To Avoid
– Gluten: in reality, fungus feeds on gluten that is available in wheat products. Thus, decrease your consumption of gluten in your current diet at least till your infection disappears.
– Sugar: because fungus lives and grows on feeding the sugars, so you should cut back your intake of sugar to starve out the fungus.
Lifestyle Tips And Precautions
– The home remedies for fungal nail infection mentioned earlier should be applied till your infected nails come out and new nail grow out entirely.
– After each times of treating, you should make sure that your nails are dried properly because moist environment may encourage the development of fungus.
– Dry the nails after swimming or having a shower
– Avoid walking barefoot in the public places like stations, gyms, or malls
– File and clip the nail regularly to boost the healing process and prevent the development of nail fungus in the future.
– Wear protecting gloves whilst washing dishes or clothes. This will help to keep your nails dry
– Wash your feet with antifungal soap regularly
– Do not wear socks made from synthetic fibers. Instead, choose socks made with wool. They can prove enough air circulation to your feet.
– Sprinkle antifungal powder onto your feet before wearing socks. In case you wear shoes daily, spritz antifungal spray inside your shoes to prevent nail fungus.
– In order to dry the nails appropriately, you should use a hair dryer or a towel.
– Choose sandals over shoes if possible.
– Keep the carpets fungus free by making use of hydrogen peroxide. This will prevent the recurrence of fungal nail infection.
– Take multivitamins including omega-3 oils, emu oil as well as primrose which not only can help treat nail fungus but also is good for your skincare.
This article is made with the aim to help you figure out how to treat fungal nail infection at home without using any type of harmful medications. However, it is always best to consult your doctor before using any home remedies for fungal nail infection mentioned here. This entry is just a reference.
Leave your words below this post if you have any comment about our tips and home remedies for fungal nail infection. We appreciate your contribution and will feedback as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply