Age spots also known as liver spots and solar lentigines are flat, painless, black or dark brown blemishes on the skin’s surface. They mostly appear on the shoulders, neck, back of the hands, face, and sometimes on feet and back due to the sun exposure. Age spots commonly happen in the elderly people over 50 years of age but an early appearance of these dark spots can be contributed by greater exposure to the sunlight’s UV rays of the sun. Let’s discover some useful tips on how to remove age spots naturally at home with us on the site Healthy Guide!
1. What Is Age Spots?
Age spots, also known as solar lentigines or liver spots, are a common issue that happens due to an excess production of skin pigment, or melanin. Typically, the excess pigment is a result of the over-exposure to the sunlight. These spots can also be triggered by the use of tanning beds and tanning lamps.
The spots vary in size and often occur on the hands, face, arms, and shoulders – the areas that are most usually exposed to the sunlight. The spots are flat, oval areas of increased pigmentation and are often tan, black or brown.
They are named age spots as they are very common in the elderly people over 50. Younger people can also have this skin issue if they tend to expose to the sunlight for long ours. In addition, this skin issue is more common in people with light skin.
Basically, age spots do not harm the skin. However, for cosmetic reasons, people may use skin-bleaching products to try to lighten these spots or opt for medical cures to remove them. Nevertheless, such activities can be costly and may have side effects as well.
Luckily, there are some natural home treatments that can aid a lot in reducing the appearance of the age spots.
Remember that natural treatments work slowly over time, so you need to be patient and use the natural treatments for several days or longer to see the improvement, depending on the severity of the disease.
Note: Make sure to see a doctor if the spots appear extremely dark or have changed in its appearance. These changes can be signs of a severe form of skin cancer – melanoma.
2. Causes Of Age Spots
Do you wonder why you are getting such discolorations all over your neck and face? The answer lies in the upper layer of skin which has melanin , the pigment that gives the skin its natural colour. Overexposure of skin to sun rays can lead to increased melanin production to protect the inner layers of skin from harmful UV rays. Clustered melanin particles can lead to skin tan that may contribute to the formation of age spots.
Prolonged use of electronic tanning beds and tanning lamps can also lead to skin darkening. Aging, poor nutrition, and chronic illness are also contributing factors for age spots.
II. Quick Tips To Apply At Home
Here are some of the best tips on how to remove age spots on arms, face, legs, and hands naturally at home that people can try right away:
- To protect your skin for further time, wear clothing that can cover your legs and arms and a broad-brimmed hat.
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes at least before going out in the sunlight. Reapply every 2 hours, or more often if you are perspiring or swimming.
- When purchasing a sunscreen, opt for one that has a sun protection factor (SPF) rating of 15 at least and has both UVB and UVA protection.
- If going out, use a good sunscreen and try to remain in the shade to limit your exposure to the sun.
- Stay indoors during the peak hours of the day as the sun’s rays are the most intense.
III. How To Remove Age Spots
Here are the best home remedies you can make use at home with the support of natural ingredients that are easy to find right in your kitchen. Let’s check out how to use them to reduce signs and symptoms of age spots naturally!
The first one among the best home remedies for age spots you can make use is to use Sandalwood is a perfect ingredient for fading age spots as it provides a soothing relief to the skin and can help the spots and scars heal faster, according to a study . No wonder sandalwood essential oil is found in so many cosmetic products. Here are the exact steps you should follow to achieve the best results as needed:
- Mix 2 tbsps. of rose water with 2 tbsps. of sandalwood powder with or use more rose water to create a paste. You can also add some lemon juice.
- Use the paste to apply directly onto the infected area and let it stay within about fifteen minutes or till it completely dries.
- Wash it off using cold water.
- Repeat this method two or three times per week till the blemishes are cleared.
Read More: 18 Best Home Remedies for Cystic Acne On Face, Neck, Nose, Cheek, Forehead
Tomato is acidic and also provide bleaching properties, thus making them a wonderful ingredient that works well when it comes to how to remove age spots on face, arms, legs, and hands as well as other skin freckles and blemishes.
In addition, tomato has high lycopene content and enzymes, a powerful antioxidant famous for lightening the skin effectively, according to a research . Follow these instructions and you will know ways to deal with your own age spots case:
- First, try mixing equal amounts of honey and tomato juice together. Use the mixture to apply directly onto the infected skin. Wait ten minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. Use it 1 – 2 times per day.
- Alternatively, just try slicing up a tomato and rubbing one of the slices on the infected areas. Let the juice to stay still on the skin within about twenty minutes, then rinse it off with cold water. Repeat 1 – 2 times throughout the day.
Read More: 9 Uses Of Castor Oil For Boils In Men And Women
Turmeric is another very effective one among the best home remedies for age spots you can find out there.
This herbal remedy has been used since ancient times for skin care. It is a commonly used as a natural cure in Ayurvedic medicine to deal with and beat off skin issues.
The healing powers of turmeric mean that it can help in lightening your pigmented skin as well as repairing free radicals damage thanks to its antioxidant properties. Follow these directions and you will find improvement on your case:
- Mix together 2 tsps. of powdered turmeric and some milk. You can also add some lemon juice.
- Apply the combination onto the infected areas.
- Let it stay within about twenty minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
Read More: 41 Tips How to Get Rid of Milia on Lips, Forehead, & around Eyes Fast
4. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is also an effective tip on how to remove age spots or dark patches on almost any part of your body, according to a study . Being a strong antioxidant, vitamin E can reverse the damage caused by the harsh UV (ultraviolet) rays of the sun.
Vitamin E can also moisturize your skin, which is necessary for flawless and healthy skin.
- First, try extracting the contents of two vitamin E capsules. Add 1 tsp. of castor oil to it and combine thoroughly. Apply the combination directly onto the infected areas before your bedtime. Let it stay still overnight and wash it off the next morning. Make use of this remedy every day.
- Use vitamin E oil to massage onto the infected skin within about ten to fifteen minutes 2 times per day. Apply this method for a few weeks to reduce the uneven skin tone.
Another dairy product that is good for skin health is buttermilk – one of the best tips on how to remove age spots on hands, arms, legs, and face at home.
Buttermilk has lactic acid that can gently exfoliate sun-damaged and pigmented skin, while mildly bleaching the skin to show healthy skin with less noticeable spots.
Buttermilk can also help in restoring and rejuvenating the skin, according to a study .
- First, try mixing 2 tsps. of tomato juice and 4 tsps. of buttermilk together. Use this mixture to apply directly onto the infected skin. Allow it to say still within about ten minutes before washing it off using water. Repeat 2 times per day.
- Alternatively, try applying plain buttermilk directly on the infected areas. Allow it to say still within about ten minutes before washing it off using water. Repeat 2 – 3 times per day.
Learn More: 21 Tips How to Get Rid of Boils on Face, Inner Thighs, Nose, & Butt
The naturally occurring lactic acid content of yogurt makes the usage of it another good tip on how to remove age spots on legs, arms, hands, and face.
The lactic acid in yogurt can gently remove dead skin cells and as the discolored skin sloughs off, fresh healthy skin will be exposed and the spots will become faded.
In addition, yogurt can help to keep the skin looking fresh and moisturized well.
- First, you can try making a face mask with 1 tsp. of fresh lemon juice, 2 tbsps. of ground oatmeal, and 1 tbsp. of plain yogurt. Mix well all ingredients. Apply the pack onto the spots, and allow it to stay within about half an hour before rinsing it off using cold water. Apply this method two or three times a week.
- Alternatively, try applying some plain yogurt directly onto the spots. Let it dry on its own within about twenty minutes before washing it off using cold water. Apply this method two or three times a day.
7. Castor Oil
Castor oil can aid a lot in healing a variety of skin issues, including age spots. The antioxidants in the oil can aid in protecting and lightening the skin.
It can also help to improve the appearance and texture of your skin, making it more smooth and soft. Try this tip to know exactly how to remove age spots on arms, face, legs, and hands right at the comfort of your own home:
- Dab a little castor oil onto your age spots.
- Massage it for one or two minutes, or till the oil is absorbed into your skin thoroughly.
- Let it stay within about 2 – 3 hours, then wash your skin off.
- Repeat 2 times per day, once at night and once in the morning.
8. Aloe Vera
When it comes to how to remove age spots on hands, face, arms, and legs naturally, aloe vera is really a useful tip for everyone.
Aloe vera has certain compounds that can help a lot in removing dead skin cells gently and encouraging the growth of healthy new cells. With regular use, it can help a lot in lightening and possibly removing age spots.
In addition, it has a moisturizing property that can help to make the skin feeling young, fresh, and hydrated.
- Break a leaf off of 1 aloe vera plant, cut it open and extract the gel.
- Use the gel to rub onto your age spots.
- Let it soak into your skin for at least 60 minutes. You can then wash your skin off.
- Repeat 2 times per day.
Check Out: 29 Uses of Aloe Vera for Acne Scars, Redness, Blemishes & Pores
Lemon juice has mild citric acid that can aid a lot in removing dead skin cells by breaking down the melanin pigment. As it can remove the darker skin layers and expose new skin underneath, the age spots will begin to lighten gradually.
The vitamin C content of lemon can also work very well as an antioxidant that can help to protect the skin’s surface from free-radical damage.
- First, try squeezing the juice of one lemon into a bowl and add two to three tablespoons of fine sugar. Use this combination to scrub onto your skin for a few minutes. Then, let it stay within about half an hour and wash your skin. Use this remedy one or two times per week.
- Alternatively, try applying the juice from a fresh lemon to the infected skin. Allow it to stay on your skin within about ten minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water. Do it 2 times per day. If your skin is extra sensitive, before applying it on the skin, remember to dilute the lemon juice using rose water.
Note: Do not go out in the sunlight right after applying lemon juice because that can actually lead to the skin to darken more than it was before.
Try not to opt for bottled lemon juice because it may contain harmful chemicals that can lead to skin damage.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great tip on how to remove age spots on legs, hands, arms, and face as it makes the spots less noticeable and improve your skin tone.
It has alpha hydroxy acids that can work effectively like a great skin exfoliating agent. This in turn can aid in lightening age spots and other patchy skin regions.
- Mix equal parts of water and raw, unfiltered apple cider. Add a little honey. Apply it on the infected skin and let it stay within fifteen to twenty minutes, then wash it off. Do this one time per day till you see the improvement as desired.
- Alternatively, add 1 or 2 tsps. of organic apple cider to one glass of water. Consume the solution 1 – 2 times per day to improve your skin as well as your overall health.
Note: It is normal to experience slight stinging or redness initially. Nevertheless, if the irritation is severe, stop using apple cider vinegar.
The potato juice is acidic and also provides bleaching properties, making it wonderful for removing age spots as well as freckles and blemishes. The most efficient recipe that can help to eliminate those brown spots calls for honey, lemon juice, and potatoes. First, wash a potato thoroughly, remove any sprouts or green spots. Then, grate it up and put the shreds in a linen cloth and squeeze out its juice. You can also use a juicer. Add 3 drops of lemon juice and 3 – 5 drops of organic honey to the potato juice and combine well. Apply the combination onto your age spots and let it stay within about twenty minutes before rinsing.
This is also one of the best tips on how to remove age spots on arms, legs, face, and hands naturally at home that can work very well.
Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, can be made use as a great face mask to fade age spots. For this home remedy, people will need ¼ cup of tahini, some water, a cup of chickpeas, and a food processor. Cook chickpeas and then use the food processor to blend well. Add the tahini, and then add some water at a time till the combination is the texture of a thick pudding. Apply to your age spots, or all over the facial skin, and let the mask to completely dry, within about half an hour, before washing thoroughly till it has been entirely removed.
13. Red Currants
The last tip on how to remove age spots naturally people should make use is to use red currants. Red currants are loaded with antioxidants, and by applying them topically to the skin’s surface, it does not just aid a lot in boosting the healing abilities of the skin, enabling it to diminish age spots naturally, it also brings about the protection from free radicals and harmful UV rays  that lead to age spots, and make the old spots worse.
You will need about 3 – 5 drops of rosewater, and 1 tbsp. of honey, 3 – 5 drops of lemon juice, and ¼ cup of unripe red currants. To make, mash the red currants to form a paste. Add honey and mix well. Apply the paste onto your age spots and let it stay within about 30 minutes before washing your skin with warm water. Afterward, combine the rosewater with lemon juice and use the solution to apply directly onto the spots and wash off.
After reading this interesting article, we hope that all of my readers can find some of the best solutions helpful to deal with the symptoms of age spots. Actually, all of the tips on how to remove age spots on face, hands, arms, and legs naturally at home that we mentioned above are safe and effective in treating the symptoms of the infection without causing any unwanted side effects. Therefore, you can feel secure when applying any of these home remedies. Now, if you know other effective home treatments that can help to address this skin issue, you can share them with us by leaving your comments in the comment section below.
Leave a Reply