Canker sores are known as one of the most popular inflammatory conditions occurring in the mouth, which affects about 20 % of the world population. Anyone can suffer from a canker sore and women are at the higher risk of developing an ulcer than men. The sores are not a contagious disease and should know that they are unlike fever blisters or cold sores. In medical terms, a canker sore is defined as aphthous stomatitis which is a painful ulcer on the oral mucous membrane. Usually, it is a red lesion having a yellow or white center inside the lips or cheeks, the tongue, or around the gums. Symptoms of the ulcer can consist of a burning sensation, inflammation, pain, swollen lymph nodes and even fever.
The exact cause of the sores is not yet certain. Several factors can result in canker sores, including an oral injury, hormonal changes of the body, weak immune system, too much stress, hereditary factors, anemia, excessive smoking, certain drugs, using the improper oral care products, viral infections, and food allergies. Almost all of canker sores do not need to treat because they will generally disappear in 7 to 10 days. Nevertheless, you should try to apply some natural ways to soothe the inflammation and pain and promote the process of healing. Now, let discover a new article about how to get rid of canker sores with the Healthy Guide site. This new writing lists 24 natural ways to help people in dealing with cancer sores easily and effectively at home. Keep reading to know more!
Top 24 Natural Ways On How To Get Rid Of Canker Sores Inside The Mouth
The first of the top 24 ways on how to get rid of canker sores is to use coriander. It has anti-inflammatory antifungal and antiseptic properties which have the ability to reduce the discomfort and pain related to canker sores.
- You firstly add a handful of fresh coriander leaves to a cup of water and boil it.
- Then you strain this solution and allow it to cool.
- You gargle with the warm water three to four times a daily basis.
- You can add a teaspoon of raw coriander seeds to one cup of boiling water.
- Now, you leave it to sit for several minutes and then strain it.
- Next, rinse your mouth with this solution at least three times regularly.
- Also, you can drink the juice that comes from fresh coriander leaves a few times a day.
- You keep the juice in your mouth for about one minute instead of drinking it all at once. This can bring some relief from canker sores.
Salt has the ability to draw the water from a canker sore to help balance the concentration. When the fluid is drawn out, this will reduce the discomfort and pain that the excessive fluid can cause. Salt also keeps the area clean and speeds up the process of healing. Besides, the warm water is effective for producing a general sense of calming relief.
- You make a mixture including a teaspoon of salt and a glass of warm water and then stir it well.
- Now, you use this liquid to rinse your mouth. You swish the liquid around for about 30 seconds before spitting it out. This will be helpful in disinfecting your mouth.
- After the procedure is done, you directly put a pinch of salt on your canker sore. Even though this can trigger some pain, it will aid a lot in the process of healing.
- You repeat the process at least four times a day.
Sage is known as a herb which comes from the evergreen shrub, also called Salvia officinalis. It used popularly in many dishes and has been prevalent in home remedies as well as homeopathic medicine for years. Its calming property is capable of cleansing the mouth and healing the painful ulcers like canker sores.
- At the first, you add a handful of dried sage to a cup of water and boil the solution.
- Now, you allow the sage to infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Then you swish the water along with the herb in the mouth for 60 seconds.
- Finally, you spit it out and rinse with cool water.
- In addition, you can also make a tea with fresh leaves to heal your canker sores.
- You take a handful of sage leaves and place them in a glass jar in a dark place.
- You allow the herb to infuse for a day.
- Then you swish the liquid in your mouth for 60 seconds to get the improvement.
- You can also make a pulp by lightly pounding the soft and moist leaves and then apply the pulp directly on your sore for about 5 minutes. Finishing by rinsing your mouth with plain cold water.
Learn more: 31 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Hickies Fast
4. Cayenne Pepper
Another way on how to get rid of canker sores is to use cayenne pepper. It contains an abundance of capsaicin which has the ability to temporarily numb the nerves, providing complete relief from the inflammation and pain.
- You firstly make a paste by mixing a small amount of ground cayenne pepper and a little water.
- Then you apply this paste directly on your affected area. Although you will initially feel some irritation, the inflammation and pain will be reduced in the short period of time.
- You should follow this remedy two times a day for a couple of days until your canker sores are completely gone.
- Besides, you can try several candies which contain cayenne pepper as the main ingredient to remove the canker sores.
Onions are an ingredient in the allium family of herbs and vegetables, which also includes scallions, leeks, chives, and garlic. Along with a lot of health benefits, using onions is an amazing way on how to get rid of canker sores thanks to a great amount of sulfur in them. It can soothe the pain as well as inflammation.
- You take a small onion and cut it into small pieces.
- Then you press a piece of the onion gently on your affected area for a couple of minutes. Make sure that the juice of the onion piece is absorbed into your canker sore.
- You repeat the method three to four times a day.
- You can make a paste by crushing an onion or extract the juice from it and directly apply it on your affected area.
- You do this a few times regularly.
- You can also include one raw onion in your daily dishes to treat and prevent canker sores.
6. Aloe Vera
Applying aloe vera is one of the easiest ways on how to get rid of canker sores. It contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and curative properties which assist in easing the inflammation and pain as well as promote the healing process.
- You take an aloe vera leaf and wash it.
- Then you extract the gel aloe vera from it and directly apply it on your canker sore.
- You do this a few times a day to notice the satisfied results.
- For another option, you can rinse the mouth with aloe vera juice at leat three times a daily basis.
Note: If an aloe vera plant is not available, you can use the juice or gel from the market.
One of the effective ways on how to get rid of canker sores is to use raw honey. If you have only regular liquid honey, it is also good for your canker sores. Honey is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Moreover, it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can heal your cankers sore quickly.
- You carefully apply a teaspoon of honey all around your canker sore. This will hurt your affected area for a couple of minutes, but it will ease the pain as well as inflammation.
- You should reapply 2 to 3 times a day. It is better if you do at least one of the times before night because this will not affect your canker sore by talking or eating.
- You do this a few times a day.
- You can make a fine paste by mixing a teaspoon of raw honey and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Now, you apply this paste on your affected area and keep it on for several minutes.
- Then you rinse your mouth with warm water.
- You should repeat the method two times daily.
See more: 30 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Razor Burn
If you suffer from a canker sore which often rubs against your tooth which causes the irritating of the sore, applying a little beeswax over the surface is another way on how to get rid of canker sores because this can aid in reducing irritating friction against the sore and speeding up the healing process. If you have braces and place this over them, make sure that you need to apply a generous amount of beeswax so that it is not just ground into the stuck and brace.
- You make a mixture including a tablespoon of beeswax and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Then you melt down the mixture and allow it to cool slightly.
- After the procedure is done, you press a dollop gently over the edge of the tooth, dentures or braces to protect the sore from rubbing.
9. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a baking ingredient that is affordable and common in kitchen cabinets around the world. It can be used to cure a diversity of ailments including canker sores. Baking soda has the ability to neutralize acidity and reduce the inflammation and pain.
- At the first, you make a paste by mixing a little water and a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Then you use a cotton ball or your fingers to apply this paste to your affected area.
- Now, you allow it to sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing off your mouth with warm water.
- You do this homemade paste three to four times daily.
- Alternatively, you can mix two teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of warm water and use it to rinse your mouth. Follow this simple remedy four or five times a day.
- You can add 2 teaspoons of baking soda or mix equal quantities salt, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide to a cup of warm water
- Then you use these solutions as a mouth wash at least four times a daily basis.
- Firstly, you rinse the mouth with the juice from aloe vera.
- Now, you directly apply baking soda on your affected area and allow it to dissolve.
- You should repeat this two times daily.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil help to alleviate a lot of types of health conditions such as acne, toenail fungus, psoriasis, and eczema. Because it has the ability to kill bad bacteria and soothe inflamed skin, it is one of the main ingredients having in toothpaste and mouthwash. Also, it has been found to reduce the bleedings of toothpaste and gum. Therefore, it is quite effective for healing canker sores as its antibacterial and antiseptic properties are able to eradicate the germs causing and reduce pain at the same time.
- You add 10 drops of the oil to a cup of water.
- Then you use the liquid as a mouthwash to remove canker sores.
- You do this three to four times a day.
- You dilute two tea tree oil drops in 1/2 tablespoon of water.
- Now, you directly apply it on the canker sore.
- You repeat this two to three times daily.
11. Coconut Oil
One of the safe and simple ways on how to get rid of canker sores is to apply coconut oil also called as a “superfood”. There are many benefits of the oil such as skin health, weight loss, better brain function, etc. When it comes to healing canker sores, coconut oil is an ideal option due to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- You dab an enough amount of coconut oil on the sore by using your clean fingertips or a cotton swab. You try to get a thick clump or layer on there so that coconut oil melts quickly and a thin layer can slide right off.
- If you do not get it to stick, you can melt one-half teaspoon of beeswax with a tablespoon of coconut oil to thicken it.
12. Clove Oil
Clove oil has a great amount of eugenol which is a potent painkiller and is used by dentists to bring complete relief to patients. With a pure extracted form, clove oil is a useful way on how to get rid of canker sores and toothaches.
- You firstly rinse your mouth with salt water or lukewarm water to get the affected area clean.
- Then you apply a little clove oil on the area and let it do its work.
- Now, you mix 1/2 clove oil teaspoon with 4 to 5 drops of olive oil and soak a clean cotton ball in it.
- Finally, you directly apply this cotton ball on the sore for 5 to 10 minutes for numbing relief.
13. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide contains antiseptic properties which will aid in reducing bad bacteria in your mouth. When it comes to ways on how to get rid of canker sores, you will need 3% hydrogen peroxide that is available in the market.
- At the first procedure, you make a mixture including a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and a cup of water.
- Then you mix it well and use this homemade remedy to rinse your mouth. Make sure that you do not to swallow it.
- You do this at leat four times a day.
- You add a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to a teaspoon of water.
- Now, you dip a cotton ball in the solution and directly apply it to the sore.
- Next, you leave it on for about a couple of minutes before rinsing your mouth with warm water.
- You repeat this three to four times daily.
14. Peppermint And Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Apart from anti-inflammatory properties, both of peppermint and eucalyptus oil also possibly work as the anti-microbial agents which are helpful in reducing the risk of infection. They have the ability to tighten the tissues in and around the wound, relieve further discomfort triggered by swelling or fluid buildup. In addition, these oils contain the cooling properties which can numb the nerve endings which are firing off.
- You pour 2 tablespoons of grapeseed or olive oil into a glass bottle.
- Then you add 10 peppermint essential oil drops and 8 eucalyptus essential oil drops.
- Now, you recap and shake it well before spraying this solution directly on the canker sore for pain relief. Note that you should shake it before each use.
Chamomile includes a few daisy-like plants which are widely used to promote relaxation, induce sleep, and aid digestion. It also helps to treat cramping because it is able to relax painful spasms occurring in the digestive track. Chamomile contains a chemical compound which is called as levomenol or bisabolol and have antiseptic properties that it is believed to reduce inflammation. The properties will be beneficial for reducing the pain caused by canker sores and help speed up the healing time.
- You soak the chamomile in hot water for 3 to 4 minutes if using one tablespoon of dried flowers or 1 minute if you using a chamomile teabag.
- Then you place it directly against your affected area for 5 to 10 minutes two times a day to help reduce discomfort and promote healing.
Yogurt is formed by bacterial fermentation, which is to use yeast or bacteria to change from carbohydrates to organic acids. The result of the process is a high level of tangy bacteria. Yogurt also aids in restoring a healthy balance of gut flora. Besides, eaten daily yogurt is one of the useful ways on how to get rid of canker sores because it can help to balance out bacteria in the mouth.
Be sure that the label of yogurt confirms that it has live cultures, and note that you buy plain-not vanilla. You eat at least 1 tablespoon of yogurt 3 times daily. You can add a small amount of raw honey for extra taste and a healing boost.
17. Milk Of Magnesia
Milk of magnesia is also known as an amazing way on how to get rid of canker sores by using it as a mouth rinse. This method takes advantage of its antacid properties which help to neutralize the acids in your mouth that trigger your canker sore. Furthermore, milk of magnesia is able to prevent an infection and help the healing process.
- You firstly take a spoon and pour the milk into it.
- Now, you take a cotton swab and then dip it in the milk.
- Next, you dab your affected area and leave the solution to sit on the area for 5 to 10 seconds with the mouth open. This will help the magnesium hydroxide dehydrate the sore and promote the healing process.
- You should repeat this 7 to 8 times daily.
There are many ways on how to get rid of canker sores and using licorice is one of them. Licorice has a compound, called as glycyrrhizin which contains anti-inflammatory properties that are able to calm canker sores. Also, using the extract from licorice roots is effective in speeding up the beneficial effects.
- You take a teaspoon of licorice root and crush it well.
- Then you soak it in two glasses of water for a few hours.
- Now, you use the water as a mouth rinse at least two times a day until the sores are treated completely.
- Alternatively, you can directly apply licorice root extract to your affected area two times a day.
- You boil a cup of water and place a licorice tea bag in it.
- Now you cover it and wait for about 10 minutes before enjoying the tea.
19. A Tea Bag
After you enjoy a cup of tea, the used tea bag can be useful for healing canker sores and relieving some of the pain at the same time. Tea is an alkaline that will neutralize acids irritating the sore and its tannic acid is a natural astringent which assists in relieving pain and inflammation.
- You firstly refrigerate a used tea bag for about 5 minutes.
- Then you use gentle pressure to apply the cool tea bag on your affected area.
- You hold it on for 20 minutes.
- You repeat this 3 times daily to remove mouth ulcer.
Note: You may also apply without placing it in a refrigerator.
20. Grapefruit Seed Extract
The extract from grapefruit seeds has powerful bioflavonoids and antibacterial properties. They are good for your immune system to protect against infection and kill the germs which result in canker sores.
- You nake a mouth rinse by mixing a teaspoon of grapefruit seed extract and a cup of water.
- Now, you rinse your mouth with the solution three times a day.
21. Plum Juice
One of the best ways on how to get rid of canker sores is to apply plum juice. The juice has the ability to reduce redness, swelling, and pain quickly.
- Simply by using 1 to 2 tablespoons of plum juice to wash your mouth for a couple of minutes daily.
- You can soak a clean cotton ball in the juice and keep it on the canker sore for about 5 minutes daily to notice the satisfied results.
22. Slippery Elm
The slippery elm bark contains a plenty od mucilage that forms a thick gel substance when added to water. It will coat the mucous membranes in your mouth, then lead to the reduction of pain and inflammation.
- At the first, you make a paste by mixing a tablespoon of powder of slippery elm bark with an enough amount of water.
- Then you apply this paste to your affected area and allow it to sit on for 5 minutes.
- Finishing by rinsing your mouth with water.
- In addition, you can rinse your mouth with slippery elm tea or suck slippery elm lozenges.
Alum powder is hydrated potassium aluminium sulfate which is found in the different spices in grocery stores and is used in a lot of recipes as a preservative because it can keep fruit and vegetable crispy. In addition, alum powder is used as a simple way on how to get rid of canker sores.
- You firstly place a one-eight teaspoon of alum power in a small cup.
- Then you add a few drops of water and stir it into a paste.
- Now, you use your index finger or a clean cotton swab to dab a little of this paste on your ulcer.
- You leave it there for 1 to 2 minutes. Even though your mouth begins to salivate, keep it on.
- After the procedure is done, rinse your area with water.
Note: Usually one application will be able to heal ulcer completely, but sometimes, if the sore is severe, you can need to repeat this process the next day.
24. Ice Cubes
When it come to the best ways on how to get rid of canker sores, ice cubes are an amazing ingredient to heal the ulcer. Ice is capable of numbing pain and reducing swelling.
- You directly apply an ice cube on your affected area for 20 to 30 seconds, then take it out your mouth.
- You can repeat many times as needed.
- You can also rinse your mouth with cool water to soothe the pain.
Apart from the mentioned ways, you should also keep the below additional tips in mind to get rid of canker sores quickly and effectively.
- While brushing your teeth, make sure that you do not irritate an ulcer.
- You should use toothpaste without Sodium Lauryl sulfate, a foaming agent which can be a cause of the re-occurrence of sores.
- You avoid drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Let your body relax by getting regular exercise, meditation, and yoga.
- You eat more fresh fruits as well as vegetables.
- Note that you have to avoid acidic, spicy, and salty foods and other foods such as chocolates, potato chips, pretzels, nuts, certain spices, shellfish, lemon, tomatoes, etc., which lead to the irritation and prolong healing.
- You should drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
- While having a canker sore, don’t chew gum.
- You take vitamins C, B, B-6, B12, B-Complex, folate (Folic acid), and zinc.
- You can cut a vitamin E capsule to apply the oil directly on your sore to calm the pain.
- You can also apply lemon balm on the ulcer to relieve pain.
- Finally, you try to use several antiseptic creams, lozenges and counter medicines to get some relief from the pain.
Above are 24 effective ways to get rid of cancer sores. If you have anything related to this article to ask, please let your question below and we will contact you soon. We are also very happy if you share any other ways on how to get rid of canker sores you know with us. Besides, we published many articles about how to get rid of other health conditions on our main How To page; thus, if you are interested in them, let access our page to know more.