Many dark patches or black spots can be easily eliminated or lightened to restore a glowing facial skin. Dark patches, spots, and other marks on the facial skin may be triggered by the excessive secretion of melanin on the skin’s surface. If you are trying to find how to get rid of dark skin on face, knees, neck, elbows, and under arms, then we are here to help you. Keep reading the article!
- 27 Tips How to Get Rid of Dark Underarms Fast & Naturally in a Week/ 49 Tips How to Get Rid of Black Spots on Face, Nose, Neck, Legs, & Back
List Of Simple Tips On How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin
As you age, you realize that fine lines can make you look much older than your real age. However, there are a lot of culprits that can give your appearance chance to look older. One of these is the appearance of dark spots on your skin’s surface.
Some factors that can cause the skin issue we are talking about are the excess exposure to the sunlight, pregnancy, hormone imbalance, vitamin deficiencies, certain medications, too much stress, as well as lack of sleep.
Dark patches and spots on the facial skin can be embarrassing and even can cause you to get lower self-esteem. Fortunately, there are a lot of possible cures you can make use, such as laser surgeries and acid peels. There are also some safer treatments coming from nature for you – the home remedies, herbal cosmetic procedures, and topical products that could help to fade effectively or even remove dark spots permanently. Below, I am sharing with you the most common natural cures and tips on how to get rid of dark skin on knees, face, neck, elbows, and under arms you can try at the comfort of your own home. These simple, natural home treatments also can aid a lot in reducing the appearance of blemishes and dark spots on your skin’s surface.
In this article, Healthy Guide will show you a few great ways on how to get rid of dark skin on neck, face, knees, elbows, and under arms that you can apply at the comfort of your own home. These home remedies will not cause any trouble and unwanted side effect so that you do not need to worry about this!
I. Causes Of Dark Skin
Here are the most common triggers of the dark skin issue. Take a quick look at it as knowing the exact causes of the problem will help you know how you can fix your own problem effectively and timely.
1. Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (Acne Scarring)
People who are suffering from acnes often get hyperpigmentation and dark spots triggered by injury of the skin through popping or picking pimples.
Women are the most vulnerable subject of the dark skin issue. It is characterized by brown to gray-brown patches that happen on the skin’s surface. It is often triggered by sun damage but can also occur even in the pregnancy.
3. Sun Damage (Solar Lentigos)
The top trigger factors of this condition and also liver spots, and/or freckles is the damage of the sunlight. Overexposure to UVA/UVB rays, either directly from the sunlight or through the use of tanning beds, can break down collagen and make your skin produce melanin excessively, leading to hyperpigmentation or discoloration. The damage may not be evident instantly, particularly if your age is low, but you will notice the impacts that the sun damage leaves on skin more prominently as you hit the age of 40 and higher.
4. Facial Hair Removal
Removing your facial hair by waxing, tweezing, or using depilatory creams can make your skin suffer from inflammation. This can later cause the discoloration of skin in those areas.
5. Hormonal Changes
Fluctuation in the production of progesterone and estrogen during the pregnancy, in the using process of birth control pills, or as the victim goes through menopause can lead to the excess melanin production. Exposure to sunlight can activate the melanin secretion in these spots, leading to dark spots on the skin’s surface.
As we age, the skin cells of our body do not reproduce as easily as they do while we are young. In addition, it becomes more difficult for the skin to repair its own damaged regions and clear the skin’s discolored spots.
II. How To Prevent Dark Spots On Face, Knees, Neck, Elbows, Under Arms
Sun damage is the major trigger that can cause dark spots, so you need to make sure to protect yourself from harmful UVB and UVA rays.
- Wear sunscreen with SPF 30 at least. If you are using vitamin A or a product that has the exfoliation effect, your skin will be even more vulnerable to the damage of the sunlight, so cover the facial skin as much as possible.
- Steer clear of tanning beds.
- Remember to always wear protective gears and clothing that can help in minimizing the contact of your skin’s surface with sunlight as much as possible. Hats and sunglasses are the best accessories that can aid in shielding your facial skin from the sunlight.
- Seek shade whenever you can.
III. How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin Naturally
There are some natural remedies and tips on how to get rid of dark skin on elbows, neck, face, knees, and under arms that you can consider applying at the comfort of your own home. They are:
The usage of turmeric is one of the best tips on how to get rid of dark skin under arms, on face, neck, elbows, and knees that can help a lot as a real skin-lightening agent. It can actually work well for your skin surface even on face or on any area of the whole body. It can help to repair free radical damage as well as reduce skin discoloration and pigmentation. It is also useful for fast removal of age spots and sun spots.
- Create a thick paste by mixing a few drops of lemon juice and milk with 2 tsps. of turmeric.
- Use it to apply directly onto your skin coming with the black spots.
- Let it stay within a few minutes and then use lukewarm water to rinse it off.
List of Top 15 Best Natural DIY Home Remedies for Dark Underarms Fast will show you some of the best natural treatments for lightening the skin area under arms, so check it out!
2. How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin On Face – Sandalwood
Sandalwood is also a useful choice when it comes to tips on how to get rid of dark skin on neck, face, elbows, knees and under arms. The natural oils contained in sandalwood can help in naturally clearing black spots. It even give your skin a healthy, glowing look.
- Create a thick paste of 3 tbsps. of rose water, 1 tbsp. of glycerine, and 1 tbsp. of sandalwood powder. (If you do not have rose water, you can opt for honey or milk instead).
- Apply that thick paste to the infected skin area, let it stay within a few minutes. Use lukewarm water to wash off the paste.
- Apply this natural cure once per day till your black spots completely disappear.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains a lot of powerful healing properties and is a perfect natural dark spot corrector. Its gel provides polysaccharides that can help in stimulating the development and growth of new skin cells, helping to fade and clear heal scars and dark spots away.
A study  published in the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research in 2010 throws light on a lot of skin advantages of aloe vera gel. The study confirms that this gel can help in clearing skin blemishes and dark spots, as well as make the skin clearer. Follow these steps on how to get rid of dark skin under arms, on neck, face, knees, and elbows with the support of aloe vera at home:
- Cut off an aloe leaf and attract the fresh aloe vera gel from that leaf.
- Apply the gel directly onto the skin areas with black spots and dark patches.
- Massage the areas gently using the fingertips for a few minutes.
- Let it stay within about fifteen to twenty minutes, then wash your facial skin thoroughly.
- Apply this method 1 – 2 times per day for a few weeks to reduce the appearance of skin discolorations.
If it becomes messy, opt for a clean cloth soaked in warm water to clear your natural gel mask. You can also make use of castor oil and Vitamin E oil instead as they are all useful in clearing the dark skin and black spots.
Using buttermilk is also one of the best tips on how to get rid of dark skin on elbows, neck, face, knees, and under arms that can work very well for everyone at all ages and genders. Like lemon juice, buttermilk can aid a lot in fading black spots and blemishes but without leading to any burning sensation. The lactic acid in it will help in reducing skin pigmentation gradually, as well as brightening the overall skin complexion. Follow these tips and you will see how they work effectively for your own case.
- Take 4 tsps. of buttermilk.
- Add 2 tsps. of fresh tomato juice.
- Mix the 2 ingredients (both have amazingly powerful bleaching properties) and then apply it onto your facial skin.
- Rinse it off after fifteen minutes.
If you do not have buttermilk, you just need to try soaking a cotton ball in milk and use it to dab directly onto your spots. Let it stay within about ten minutes and then rinse it off. Repeat the method 2 times per day for four to five weeks.
To know some of the best tips that can help you make use of beeswax to improve skin, read on 15 Amazing Benefits of Beeswax for Skin Care & Skin Health
5. How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin – Potato
Your veggie drawer is also a great source of natural treatments for dark patches or black spots. Potatoes provide natural bleaching properties that can aid a lot in fading scars, spots, as well as blemishes, according to a study . The starch in potato can aid in reducing pigmentation, while the enzymes of this veggie can help in promoting healthy skin.
Potatoes can be used in 1 of these 3 ways:
- Extract the juice of 1 potato.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and a little lemon juice to it.
- Apply this combination onto your black spots.
- Let it to dry, then wash it off.
- Peel and grate a potato.
- Mix 1 tsp. of honey in the grated potato.
- Apply the mask onto your facial skin and let it dry within about fifteen minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Slice up a potato.
- Put 1 slice directly onto the black spots.
- Let it stay within a few minutes and then rinse your facial skin off with lukewarm water.
Some people have also been successful in using tomatoes for how to get rid of dark skin on knees, elbows, neck, face, and under arms with black spots in just a few weeks.
6. Lemon Juice
A fast and simple solution can be readily available right in your nearest grocery store and in your kitchen – lemon juice. Lemon has vitamin C that can help in lightening dark spots on your facial skin. It is very simple to apply. Follow these steps to discover how to get rid of dark skin on elbows, neck, face, knees, and under arms with the help of lemon juice right at the comfort of your own home:
- Place some fresh lemon juice on a cotton ball and use it to rub directly onto your infected skin area.
- Let it dry and then rinse it off using plain water.
- Keep applying this dark spot removal natural treatment for at least 2 weeks to get the desired result.
If you have sensitive or delicate skin, you can dilute the lemon juice with honey, rose water, or plain water. You can also make use of lime juice to clear black spots, applying it in the manner that is similar to the steps above.
Note: Do not use lemon juice if you have got open lesions or sores on the skin’s surface. In addition, avoid going out in the sun after applying the lemon juice because it can make your skin’s surface photosensitive.
If you would like to know some of the best tips that can help you lighten skin naturally after just 2 weeks at home, read on 44 Ways to Lighten Your Skin Naturally in 2 Weeks that Work for People at All Ages
7. How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin – Almond
Almond can help a lot in lightening and brightening your skin’s surface as well as reducing scars and black spots. Being abundant in healthy fats, antioxidants, and vitamin E, almonds can help a lot in maintaining flawless and clear skin.
- Take eight to ten almonds and soak them in milk overnight.
- Peel your skin off and in the morning, grind the almonds.
- Now, add 1 tsp. powdered sandalwood and ½ tsp. honey in it.
- Mix them to create a fine paste.
- Apply it directly onto your facial skin.
- Let it stay within about half an hour and then rinse it off.
- Use this face mask once or twice a week.
A massage with almond oil can also help to relieve the intensity of sun damage from skin, promote your complexion, and fade scars and dark spots. You can massage two times per day.
Powdered oatmeal is considered beneficial for skin exfoliation, according to a research . It has saponins that can work effectively like a natural cleanser. Hence, you can try applying an oatmeal mask onto your facial skin and neck skin that can help to clear black spots and dead skin. Oatmeal even can aid a lot in softening, repairing and rejuvenating the skin’s surface. It contains a sunburn -fighting power as well. Follow these steps if you want to know how to get rid of dark skin on knees, elbows, neck, face, and under arms with the help of oats:
- Grind half a cup of rolled oats.
- Add 3 to 4 tbsps. of lemon juice to create a paste.
- Scrub it directly onto your skin’s surface and rinse it off with warm water as it dries.
If it becomes messy, try using a clean cloth soaked within warm water to get off the mask. Follow this remedy 1 – 2 times per week.
9. How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin – Papaya
The enzymes contained in papaya can aid a lot in evening out skin tone and aiding to fade black spots, according to a study . For instance, papaya has papain, an enzyme that can help to exfoliate the skin to clear dead skin cells. In addition, its cleansing power can aid in clearing the skin of impurities and it can even help in protecting the skin’s surface from sun damage. There are 2 ways that you can make use of papaya at home to say goodbye to dark skin and spots:
- The first choice is to grate green papaya and add some lime juice to the papaya. Apply this combination to black spots and let it stay within about fifteen minutes before washing it off. Do this 2 times per week.
- Apply the pulp of ripe papaya to the skin’s surface. Let it stay within about twenty minutes, then wash it off. Repeat three or four times per week.
You can also use papaya skin as a great scrub for elbows and knees.
10. Onion Juice
Onion juice – made using a blender, juicer, or grater – can be applied in 2 ways.
- The first choice is to apply a mixture of 1 tbsp. of onion juice and 2 tbsps. of honey on the spots within about twenty minutes. If you have oily skin, you can add some vinegar into the solution as needed.
- Try dipping a clean cotton swab into fresh onion juice and use it to dab directly on the infected skin area and let it dry naturally.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar
Being very abundant in minerals and antioxidants, apple cider vinegar is a popular home product used for curing all sorts of diseases. Those with pigmentation and scarring swear by this easy natural treatment as the alpha hydroxy acid can help to get rid of dead skin cell. Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar. You can try applying this over your whole facial skin as it is pH balanced, so it can work well as a toner. Nevertheless, if you detest the smell, allow the solution stay within about twenty minutes before washing your skin.
12. How To Get Rid Of Dark Skin – Vitamin E Oil
A lot of dermatologists swear by the advantages of vitamin E oil to relieve the appearance of a variety of skin discoloration issues, particularly dark spots. This is the reason why it is one of the important ingredients people can find in a lot of skin care products. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can target free radicals that are responsible for discoloration and aging and can help to repair damaged cells. In addition, vitamin E oil does not need to be combined with any other ingredient to make it viable to apply directly onto your skin’s surface. Hence, it is a cost-effective and convenient choice for removing dark spots.
Method 1 – Bottled Vitamin E Oil
- A bottle of vitamin E oil
How To Use:
- Apply directly 3 – 5 drops of vitamin E oil onto your dark spots and use it to rub into your skin’s surface with clean fingers.
How Often To Apply The Method:
- Apply this method every day before going to sleep.
Method 2 – Vitamin E Capsules
- A needle/safety pin
- 1 vitamin E capsule
How To Use:
- Poke a hole in the vitamin E capsule using a safety pin or a needle
- Squeeze onto your fingers the oil out of the capsule.
- Apply it to your dark spots directly and rub it in.
How Often To Apply The Method:
Apply this method every day before going to sleep
- Since vitamin E comes in a heavy formulation, it could make your skin suffer from a breakout if your skin is prone to have acne.
- Some people may have an allergy to vitamin E oil and get contact dermatitis if they come in contact with it. Before trying out any of the home treatments mentioned above, you need to have a patch test on your forearm.
- Add foods abundant in vitamin E like sunflower seeds, wheat germ oil, peanuts, almonds, and dried apricots to your daily diet to make use of its many advantages on health and beauty.
- As vitamin E comes in the form of a thick oil and requires you to not rinse it off, it could make your facial skin look oily throughout the day. Hence, it is best to apply it at night to replace your daily moisturizer.
Chickpeas has manganese that can help to rejuvenate skin cells and attack free radicals that can lead to wrinkles. The molybdenum in chickpeas can help to detoxify your skin and vitamin B can help to repair sunlight damage on the skin. This spectacular mixture of minerals and nutrients, along with their exfoliating power, make chickpeas perfect agent that can help to scrub away dead skin cells and clear dark spots and any other type of discoloration. The list below are some of the best tips on how to get rid of dark skin using chickpeas for useful dark spot removal.
Method 1 – Chickpeas Paste
The best way to make use of chickpeas to remove age spots from your facial skin is to use them in the concentrated form.
- A blender
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of chickpeas
How To Use:
- Boil the chickpeas in water till they are soft completely.
- Once it has cooled down, try blending the water and chickpeas till they create a thick paste.
- Apply the paste all over your facial skin and let it stay within about half an hour.
- Rinse off using clean water.
How Often To Apply This Method:
- Every day
Method 2 – Lemon Juice And Chickpeas
Adding to the chickpeas paste with lemon juice can help to accelerate their bleaching power and clear dark spots faster.
- 3 tbsps. of lemon juice
- 4 tbsps. of chickpeas paste
How To Use:
- Try mixing lemon juice and the chickpeas paste together in a bowl till they form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste all over your facial skin, giving special attention to the dark spots.
- Rinse it off with clean water after twenty minutes.
How Often To Apply This Method:
- Every alternate day.
- As chickpeas paste is quite heavy and thick on the skin’s surface and if you have sensitive skin, it could clog up your pores.
- You can create a paste out of 500g chickpeas at a time and store it in the fridge for your convenience.
- If you do not wish to use chickpeas paste, you can also make use of gram flour (flour made out of chickpeas , which is readily available in the current market.
After reading this interesting article and applying some of the natural treatments above, we hope that you can get rid of dark skin effectively right at your own home. Actually, all of these methods have been reported to help reduce the severity of your own case of dark skin without causing any unwanted side effect. Therefore, you can try applying any of these ways at the comfort of your own home right now.
Leave a Reply