Whenever your skin is not well protected by clothes or sunscreen and gets too much sun, it could tan or ban. However, what is a sun tan or sunburn specifically?
Tanning is your skin’s way to trying to protect itself from the ultraviolet rays, which may harm it. However, not all tans are the same. Therefore, understanding the process of timing will help you figure out why sometimes you get suntan when you do not want it.
There is something named melanin in the human skin. It is the thing which gives our skin its color. People having dark skin seem to have more melanin in compared with those with lighter skin.
How Melanin Makes Our Skin Tanned Or Burnt
– The human body makes melanin in order to try to protect its skin from damage.
– When the skin gets damaged by the ultraviolet rays, it makes more melanin to protect the deeper layers of the skin from being damaged more. As a result, it causes our skin to change its color. People with dark skin will become darker brown or tan as they go into the sun while people with light skin will turn redder, or burn.
Harmful Effects Of Sunburn Or Suntan
The excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays (both UVA and UVB) of the sun increases the production of melanin in your skin, thereby leading to darkening skin. Usually, sun tan happens on the body parts exposed to the sun like face, arms, necks, and legs. There are some skin problems associated with sun tan like pimples, acne, wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, premature skin aging, and even skin cancer.
So, now you may wonder how to remove sun tan on hands, face, neck and legs at, right? Instead of resorting expensive cosmetic products which are jam packed with harmful chemicals as well as bleaching agents, you could make use of some natural ingredients which are easily available in most local stores. This article from Healthy Guide will give you a detailed list of 34 tips on how to remove sun tan on face, neck, hands and legs without using any medications.
34 Ways On How To Remove Sun Tan On Face, Neck, Hands And Legs Naturally
1. Lemon Juice
Oftentimes, people use lemon juice to get rid of scars on their face. However, lemon juice could also be used to remove sun tan without making the skin dry. This is thanks to the acids in lemon juice which act as a skin lightening agent. What you need to do to take advantage of lemon juice for sun tan removal is:
– Take a lemon to slice it. Then, rub it over your affected skin areas
– Wait for several minutes and have a shower.
– Follow this routine 1-2 times per day for about 1-2 months.
2. Gram Flour
Gram flour is useful in curing sun tanned skin because it aids in removing dead skin cells and leaving your skin young and bright. To remove sun tan, you can use gram flour powder or make a good paste of whole green gram.
– Mix a proper amount of gram flour in water, and then rub it over your affected skin
– Wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with water
– Apply this method twice per week for several months.
To get the best results, it is recommended to use rose water rather than plain water.
3. Rose Water, Cucumber And Lemon Juice
Another tip on how to remove sun tan effectively and naturally at home we would like to introduce in this article is the use of a mixture of rose water, cucumber, and lemon juice!
Those people who think that using lemon juice only could be harsh for their skin, and then the combination of rose water, lemon juice and cucumber is a good option. This homemade pack will remove the tan on your skin whilst soothing blemished and burnt skin. It is because of the availability of cucumber juice and rose water. The juice of cucumbers could reduce your suntan thanks to cooling effects which can soothe the irritating skin and vitamin C content which keeps the skin moisturized.
Follow these steps:
– Mix lemon juice, cucumber extract, and rose water with the ratio of 1:1:1.
– Then, apply the concoction to your affected skin area.
– After 10 to 15 minutes, rinse it off with cool water
– Apply this method every day.
4. Bengal Gram Flour And Turmeric
When it comes to ways on how to remove sun tan naturally, this is considered an instant tan removal and exfoliation. Thanks to the coarseness of Bengal gram flour, you can get rid of dead skin cells as well as impurities from skin easily. Also, the presence of turmeric can even out the skin tone while removing sun tan. Take these steps to know how to remove sun tan on face, neck and hands and sunburn at home:
– Mix Bengal gram flour, rose water, and milk together with the ratio of 2:1:1
– Then, add a pinch of turmeric into the mixture
– Apply the pack on your clear skin, wait for 20 minutes
– When the pack gets dry, you moisturize your skin with several drops of water
– Gently scrub in the clockwise and anticlockwise direction to remove the pack
– If you want to increase the potency of the pack, then add 1 tablespoon of powdered and crushed orange peel.
– Apply this concoction 3 times per week to get the best results.
Note: But, if you are allergic to milk, avoid it. Use rose water instead.
5. Red Lentil, Tomato Pack And Aloe Vera
Known as masoor dal, red lentil is not only famous in cooking, but it is also a potent ingredient for tan removal. When this ingredient is combined with tomato extracts along with aloe vera, there will be a powerful tan removal homemade pack. Similar to lemon, tomato has skin lightening agents while aloe vera can soothes and nourish the sensitive skin.
Learn More: 30 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Razor Burn
6. Papaya And Honey
This homemade fruit pack can remove sun tan from your face because of the good enzymes present in papaya named papain. It has skin lightening properties, helping remove sunburn as well as sun tan while reducing the blemishes and scars’ visibility. Besides, there are other enzymes in papaya which can exfoliate, renew and restore the skin effective.
For honey, its use for moisturizing and softening is very famous. Thus, the combination of these two ingredients is definitely an answer for your question how to remove sun tan naturally.
– Mash ½ cup of ripe papaya
– Then, add 1 tablespoon of honey into it and mix them well.
– Apply it over your cleansed face for about 30 minutes
– Rinse it off with water
7. Yogurt And Tomato
Just yogurt and tomato only can also help you remove sun tan. The citric acid in tomato acts as tan remover. This pack also helps you decrease dark spots and pigmentation. Furthermore, it can work as a natural toner, opening up the skin pores and decrease oiliness of your skin. On the other hand, yogurt can soothe and moisturize the skin naturally. But, remember that when using this pack, you might feel a slight tingling sensation, but it will go away after that.
– Mix plain yogurt and tomato juice / pulp together with the ratio of 1:1.
– Apply it over your face and let it dry for about half of an hour
– Wash it off with plain water.
– Repeat this routine 2-3 times per week.
8. Yogurt, Tomato And Lemon Juice
We all know about the versatile use of lemon juice for health, but it is also a good ingredient for the skin. The face pack made from yogurt, tomato and lemon juice can incorporate the bleaching ability of lemon, tomato and yogurt, thereby creating an effective face pack for skin tone improvement. It can also remove dark spots as well as pigmentation. Additionally, tomato juice can work as a natural toner to reduce oiliness on your skin and shrink open skin pores. At the same time, yogurt moisturizes and nourishes your skin.
To prepare this homemade face pack, follow these instructions:
– Mix lemon juice, yogurt and tomato pulp in a bowl with the ratio of 1:1:2.
– Apply it over your affected skin and wait for 30 minutes to let it dry
– After that, wash it with cold water.
At first, you might feel an itching sensation, but it will disappear soon if you apply regularly.
9. Oatmeal And Buttermilk
Another recommendation when it comes to learning how to remove sun tan on face and hands is combination buttermilk and oatmeal. This face pack will not let you down. The presence of buttermilk will soothe your skin and effective heal blisters whilst the oatmeal will exfoliate your skin to reveal healthier skin layer.
Follow these guidelines:
– Mix oatmeal and buttermilk with the ratio of 2:3.
– Massage that paste over your tanned skin areas in circulation motions for several minutes
– Rinse it off with cold water. Apply this method 2 times per week.
10. Orange Juice And Yogurt
After having a holiday at a beautiful beach, it could be disappointing to see tan line. However, there is always a good remedy helping you deal with that problem. The combination of orange juice and yogurt can remove tan in just several applications. Thanks to the content of citric acid which acts as a lightening agent and vitamin C which can eliminate free radicals, orange can rejuvenate and bleach your skin effectively. Also, yogurt is a great moisturizer.
– Mix orange juice and yogurt with the ratio of 1:1
– Apply it over your tanned skin
– Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water
– Repeat this routine daily to notice good results in several days.
11. Milk And Strawberry
How to remove sun tan naturally? Look around your house and you will find a solution for this problem. Milk can moisturize your skin while strawberries could exfoliate the skin naturally. Moreover, this mixture can eradicate dead skin cells while lightening your skin. What you have to do is:
– Prepare 4 or 5 strawberries and crush them with 2 tablespoons of fresh milk.
– Apply the solution over your affected skin areas.
– Wait for 30 minutes and rinse it off with water.
– Follow this method 2 times per week
12. Potato And Lemon Juice
Packed with vitamins and minerals, fibers, potato juice can treat both sunburn and blemishes. On the other hand, lemon juice with its naturally bleaching properties can lighten your dark spots easily.
– Prepare a medium-sized potato to extract its juice
– Mix the juice of potato with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
– Apply the mixture over your face and other tanned skin areas
– After 30 minutes, remove it off with cold water, pat dry after wards.
– Use this remedy daily till you see good results.
Being a common ingredient in a lot of beauty products, sandalwood can also be used for sun tan removal because of its anti-aging and skin-lightening properties. Thus, it cleanses the tanned skin and helps people maintain a younger complexion.
– Mix sandalwood powder with pure turmeric powder as the ratio of 1:1.
– Add a small amount of rose water into that mixture to create a good paste
– Apply the paste over your skin and wait for 30 minutes till it dries.
– Rinse it off with cold water and do this twice per week.
You could also mix coconut oil and sandalwood power along with almond oil together to create a good paste, then apply over your affected skin areas.
To answer for your question on how to remove sun tan on legs, face, neck and hands, look for almond, be it in the oil or seed form. The paste made from pure almond can cleanse and lighten your skin complexion. What you need to do is:
– Soak 5-6 almonds in plain water overnight.
– The next morning, blend almonds with milk to create a good paste
– Before hitting the hay, apply that paste on your skin, wait till the next morning to remove it off with cold water
– Follow this method every day for about 15 days, then repeat it 2 times per week after that.
15. Milk, Honey And Almond Oil
In skin care, the uses of almond milk and almond oil are renowned. Milk powder is very good for moisturizing your skin, decreasing the effects of suntan and imparting a younger skin tone as well as texture.
– Mix milk powder and honey with the ratio of 2:1.
– Then, add several drops of almond oil into the mixture and apply the paste over your skin.
– Wait for 20 minutes and rinse it off with water.
16. Sandal Wood And Coconut Water
Having medicinal properties, sandalwood as mentioned earlier is a good ingredient to treat suntan and sunburn. Sandalwood powder / paste can work as a good skin cleanser that removes impurities as well as dead skin cells. Also, it acts as a soothing balm which can heal blisters and blemishes naturally.
Follow the guidelines on how to remove sun tan on legs, face, neck and hands using sandal wood below:
– Mix coconut water and 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder together to create a thick paste
– Add several drops of almond oil after that
– Apply the paste over your tanned skin areas and wait for 20 minutes or so
– Wash it off with plain water
17. Fresh Cream And Saffron
Also known as Kesar, Saffron is an old ingredient for skin care routines. It helps lighten skin naturally, tone skin and fight pimples and acne. That is why it is one of ingredients for a suntan removal remedy. Take these steps:
– Soak several strands of saffron in a couple of tablespoons of milk cream
– Leave it overnight, and the next morning blend it with fingers.
– Apply it over your skin evenly
– Allow it to dry and wait for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with water
This pack will work as a good moisturizer. It is definitely an easy-to-find solution for those who are wondering how to remove sun tan on legs, face, neck and hands.
18. Pineapple And Honey
With its fresh and tangy flavor, pineapple is considered the king of tropical fruits. In this fruit, there are enzymes which can remove dead skin cells and heal burnt skin areas. Also, having a high content of vitamin C as well as antioxidants, this fruit can help in neutralizing the damaging effects of free radicals and decrease the appearance of aging signs like freckles, fine lines and wrinkles. Additionally, it helps lighten the age spots, sun tan as well as pigmentation.
– Mix honey and pineapple pulp together with the ratio of 1:2.
– Apply the paste over your face and wait for 5 minutes before washing it off with plain water
– Follow this routine thrice per week for about 1 month to see good results.
19. Fuller’s Earth And Aloe Vera
Fuller’s earth, aka multani miti, is a powerful ingredient in skin care routines. It is because of the cooling effect of this mud which can soothe and cool the skin burns while reducing skin irritation, acne, rashes and blemishes. Aloe vera, on the other hand, can lighten skin tone and act as a good natural cleanser.
– Mix fuller’s earth and aloe vera gel with the ratio of 2:1
– You can also add rose water to dilute the mixture more
– Apply the mixture over your facial and neck skin and wait for 30 minutes
– Then, rinse it off with cold water
20. Lemon Juice And Cornmeal
As mentioned earlier, cornmeal can be effective in sun tan removal. In addition, it is also useful for removing dead skin cells and blackheads from your skin. In details, the minute granules available in cornmeal can polish the skin gently. This ingredient is especially good for oily skin as it can remove excessive oil as well as sebum from your skin without drying out it.
– Mix lemon juice, yogurt, and cornmeal with the ratio of 1:1:2
– Apply the mixture over your face and massage it in circular motions for 2 minutes using your fingers
– Wait for 20 minutes before cleansing it off with plain water
21. Wheat Flour
Another tip on how to remove sun tan on hands, face, neck and legs is using wheat flour which can not only improve skin tone, but also even fade away the dark spots and blemishes. It also evens your skin tone. Nonetheless, it is worth noting that this method takes time to see noticeable results. Thus, occasional application of this homemade pack is not enough. They have to be added to your daily skincare routine for good results.
– Mix 2 tablespoons of wheat flour with a small amount of water to create a good paste, which is not too thick
– Then, apply it over your face and wait for 15 minutes before washing it off with water. That way, you will get brighter and softer skin naturally.
22. Bitter Gourd
This pampering skin care and nourishment is definitely a great solution for your tanned skin. It has helped many people combat sunburn and suntan because of the high content of antioxidants.
– Prepare 1 bitter gourd to extract its juice
– Apply the juice over your tanned skin areas and massage it for 1-2 minutes
– Wait for at least 5 to 7 minutes before washing it off. Repeat this routine twice per day
– Store the remained part of the juice in an airtight container in the fridge
23. Ice Cubes
This remedy is for those who have severe case of sunburn. Rubbing ice cubes can reduce the itching and burning feelings accompanied with sun tan. As an alternative, you could soak in a bath of the cold water to lessen sunburn symptoms.
– Take 1-2 ice cubes to rub over your sunburnt areas for several minutes
– Repeat this routine as often as you want
24. Aloe Vera
The reason why aloe vera works for sun tan removal is that it has refreshing and cooling agent. With moisturizing properties, aloe vera gives you a relief from itchiness and burning sensations associated with sunburn. This magic plant of the Mother Nature should be used for 2-3 months to see good results.
– Take a fresh aloe vera leaf to slit its skin lengthwise
– Extract the gel using a spoon and beat it until it gets frothy
– Use the solution on your tanned areas and wait for 15 minute prior to rinsing it off
– Use this method daily because it is safe
If you do not have enough patience to extract its gel, then you could use the pure aloe vera gel of a good brand.
Potatoes with its cleansing and bleaching properties can be a good solution for people looking for tips on how to remove sun tan on legs, face, neck and hands. The skin will be refreshed and lightened after using this remedy. Follow this recipe on how to remove sun tan naturally below:
– Take a medium-sized potato to grate and extract the juice
– Use a cotton ball to apply it over your face and neck
– After 20 minutes, rinse it off with plain water
– Repeat this routine every day to get rid of sun tan
26. Green Tea
Because green tea has soothing and cooling abilities, it is listed as one of good solutions for how to remove sun tan. The antioxidant content of green tea can replenish your skin cells and eliminate blemishes as well as skin tan.
– Take 1 green tea bag to add it in a cup of hot water. Let the tea cool down
– Use a cotton ball to apply it over your tanned skin areas and wait for 10 minutes before washing it off with plain water
– Repeat the routine twice a day
27. Honey, Cabbage And Turmeric
The antioxidant and phytochemicals in cabbages could do wonders for your skin. It helps remove skin tan while fighting against skin issues like acne. Also, it can improve the overall skin texture by making your skin supple and soft.
– Cut ¼ portion of cabbage to grate and extract its juice
– Add 1 tablespoon of honey and a pinch of turmeric to the juice
– Mix them well to apply over your skin using a cotton ball.
– Keep it there for about 15 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
28. Sugar And Lemon
Among ways on how to remove sun tan on legs, face, neck and hands listed down here, this is especially good for sun tan on hands and legs’ skin. Lemon juice is an effective solution for blemishes and tan while sugar is a great exfoliant which can slough away dead skin cells along with other impurities which have built up on your skin.
– Mix sugar and lemon juice together with the ratio of 1:1 ½
– Use this mixture as a scrub on your impacted areas. Massage it in circular motions for about 2-3 minutes.
– Rinse it off with cool water
– Follow this remedy every alternate day to remove sun tan naturally
29. Rice Flour
Nowadays, rice flour as well as other rice products has gotten its popularity for their benefits in skin care. In reality, Asian women are using this ingredient for youthful and beautiful skin. The rice flour can soothe and soften your skin, and also eliminate pigmentations resulted from tan. Also, it is a good anti-aging compound. What you have to do when it comes to learning how to remove sun tan on neck, legs, face, and hands at home is:
– Mix rice flour and tomato juice with the ratio of 2:1.
– Then, add a pinch of turmeric, a small amount of plain water or rose water into the mixture to create an even paste.
– Apply the paste over your facial and neck skin, and wait for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water
– Use this method twice a week.
30. Baby Oil
This remedy is very excellent in removing fake tan which you get from using creams or sprays. It can absorb the chemicals from the top skin layers, and could be easily washed off.
– Take a liberal amount of baby oil on your tanned skin areas
– Massage it well and shower after that
– Apply this method when required
31. Sugar, Olive Oil And Salt
The tips on how to remove sun tan on neck, legs, face, and hands introduced earlier are for both sun tan on face, neck and hands. However, the method that I am going to introduce now is just for sun tans on hands and legs because of its exfoliating features. Most of the ingredients used in this recipe could be easily found in our kitchen.
If you exfoliate regularly with this homemade pack, you will remove tanning quickly. Take the steps below:
– Mix equal amounts of each of these ingredients and apply the mixture over your hands and leg.
– Massage gently for a few minutes, leave it there for 15 minutes and wash it off
This will not only help remove your tanning abut also eradicate dead skin cells and reveal the healthier new skin.
32. Multani Mitti And Egg White
Multani Mitti is used to refresh skin effectively. However, if you combine it with egg white, then you will have a remedy for tanning, pigmentation and discoloration of the skin. This method has been used to treat different skin problems in India for ages.
– Mix equal amounts of Multani mitti or fuller’s earth and egg white together
– Apply this mixture over your tanned skin and wash it off after 20 minutes
33. Glycerin And Lime Juice
This is also among the best tips on how to remove sun tan on neck, legs, face, and hands that we would like to introduce in the entire article today and people should never skip yet try to make the combination at home and apply onto the infected area soon for good!
Glycerin can nourish your skin while lime or lemon juice is a good natural bleaching agent that can lighten your skin color.
– Mix equal amounts of lime juice and glycerin together and apply it over your skin
– Wait for 15 minutes and rinse it off with water.
– Follow this method 3 times per weeks for about 1month. Then, you will see a big difference in your skin tone.
34. Exfoliate Your Skin With A Toothbrush
Well, this tip is obviously recommended for sun tan on hands and legs. However, after brushing, you skin will get a little bit tender. The remedy will remove dead skin cells and reveal newer and younger ones. After brushing, you rinse your skin with water and apply milk cream over your skin to get soft skin.
Tips And Tricks On Tan Removal
– Always bring a sunscreen with the SPF of at least 40. Apply it before stepping out in the sun.
– Drinking lots of water is also a good way for skin-related problems. That way, you can keep yourself hydrated and this surely helps remove sun tan naturally.
– If you are going to swim or spend lots of time under the sun, then you should use a special sun protection cream or lotion. They should be re-applied after every 20 minutes.
After swimming in chlorinated water, you should rinse your skin as well as hair with plain water
– Do not forget a water-based moisturizer for cooling your sunburn and toning skin in the summer
– Regularly wash your face
– Before going out, avoid spraying perfume because the psoralen in perfumes may tan your skin permanently when coming in contact with ultraviolet rays.
– Remember to use sunscreen for lips, eyes.
– Apply eye creams to prevent wrinkles and tan
– Have a bath with cold water during summer because warm water may dry out your skin and cause skin tan.
– Wear light colored clothes which cover the main parts of your body
– Keep scarves, wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses handy prior to going out in the sun.
Now, after reading thoroughly our article about 34 tips on how to remove sun tan on neck, legs, face, and hands, you may have withdrawn some important notes for yourself when it comes to learning how to get rid of tanned skin. Patience is required when following home remedies using natural ingredients. Most of them are safe without side effects. However, remember that prevent is always better than cure. So, the next time you go out in sun, cover yourself properly. Not mention to sun tan, the ultraviolet rays of the sun are very harmful for your skin, and may lead to skin cancer.
If you have any comment about this article of 34 tips on how to remove sun tan on hands, face, neck and legs, feel free to leave your comments below the post. We will feedback as soon as possible.