When a person is feeling anxious, he might feel stuck and even do things that involuntarily fuel his anxiety. Generally, people might judge and bash themselves for their anxiety. They might believe their negative thoughts are indisputable facts. Fortunately, there are many techniques that we can make use to reduce anxiety naturally and effectively. Now, in order to know how to stop feeling anxious and improve mental health right now, keep both of your eyes on this interesting article.
List Of Effective Ways On How To Stop Feeling Anxious:
If you are looking for effective yet simple ways on how to stop feeling anxious naturally at home, then this article may be helpful for you. Here we from Healthy Guide will show you some simple anxiety-reducing techniques that you can apply with ease at home.
I. Some Common Anxiety Symptoms
The symptoms of anxiety may be various and unique to the individual. Some common symptoms of anxiety include:
- Nervousness, irritability, restlessness
- Difficulty in sleeping and concentrating
- Dizziness, trembling
- Sense of danger
- Shortness of breath
- Excessive perspiration
- Feeling overheated or cold
- Rapid breathing and heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Numbness or tingling in the hands
- Social withdrawal and changes in personality
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
Read on Top 48 Best Home Remedies for Stress Relief and Removal to discover some of the best natural ways for stress relief that you can apply with ease at home.
II. How to Stop Feeling Anxiety Right Now- 21 Simple Techniques
To eliminate anxiety and anxiousness, we can try applying some of the following simple anxiety- reducing techniques.
1. Accept That We Are Anxious
This should be the first way on how to stop feeling anxious that we want to mention in this article. Keep in mind that anxiety is just an emotional reaction, and we can accept it. Acceptance is very important because trying to eliminate anxiety often makes it worse. However, accepting anxiety does not mean that we like it or we resign ourselves to a miserable existence.
2. Take A Deep Breath
One of the first things we should do when getting anxious is to take a deep breath. Actually, this is a wonderful anxiety-reducing technique since it can help activate the relaxation response of the body. Just need to pay attention to inhaling and exhaling.
- Firstly, inhale slowly through the nose for about 8 seconds.
- Keep the breath for 3- 4 seconds.
- Then, exhale slowly through pursed lips for about 8 seconds
- Repeat this exercise about 15- 20 times.
3. Focus On Right Now
When people get anxious, they tend to obsess about something that may occur in the future. In these cases, paying attention to the future is not good. Instead, we should pause and pay attention to something that is going on right now. Even if there is something serious, we should still focus on our present moment.
4. Talk To Somebody Friendly
Distraction is an effective anxiety-reduction technique because the mind can be the worst enemy when we experience severe anxiety symptoms. We can talk to someone who is friendly and trustful. Do not be shy when telling them about our anxiety and explain what we are feeling. This technique can keep our negative thoughts at bay, and the supportive nature of family members and friends can give us a boost of confidence. If we are having a panic attack, talking to someone also helps us feel more confident that there is someone who always stands by us.
5. Engage In Physical Activities
All of the physical activities have calming effects on the mind. Studies found that exercise is an effective method to treat anxiety. Therefore, if you are experiencing anxiety attacks, you should engage in some physical activities right now. Do anything you enjoy, but try to exercise at least 30 minutes every day.
- Go for a walk: This is the easiest way to perform a physical activity. Take a quick walk in the park or around your neighborhood.
- Dance: There is no need to go outside to perform some exercise. Put on your favorite music and then dance in your bedroom.
- Take a yoga class: Yoga offers stretching and strengthening exercises along with meditation and deep breathing techniques, so it can help reduce stress and anxiety.
6. Listen To Soothing Music
Listening to music is very effective in reducing stress and anxiety. Try listening to soothing music like jazz, classical or new age, or simply listen to your favorite music. Actually, this trick can help calm down your mind, hence reducing your anxiety levels effectively.
7. Watch Funny Videos
The fact is that laughter can help reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Therefore, we can try watching funny TV shows or videos on Youtube when we get anxious. Laughter can provide physical and mental health with many benefits. Eventually, another study suggested that humor can help relieve anxiety more than workouts can.
8. Sleep More
Lack of sleep can make our anxiety worse, so we should have 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Always sleep at the same time and if you find hard to fall asleep, you can do any of the following things to prepare yourself for good sleep:
- Dim the lights
- Turn off TV, laptop and mobile devices
- Listen to some soothing music or white noise
- Read a book
- Drink a cup of warm milk
- Take a warm water bath
9. Stay Away From Sugar
When we get anxious, we may crave something sweet. However, consuming a large amount of sugar can make our anxious feelings worse. Therefore, instead of high sugar foods, we should consume lean proteins or drink a glass of water.
10. Limit The Alcohol Intake
Researchers found that alcohol can make anxiety worse. Therefore, we should limit the alcohol intake when we are dealing with anxious feelings. If a person tends to drink in excess when facing anxiety, then he may need to seek medical help to stop drinking.
11. Eliminate Stimulants
Stimulants, such as nicotine and caffeine can worsen anxiety. Therefore, it is time to reduce the caffeine intake and quit smoking. Try not to get more than 200mg of caffeine daily. If you are a smoker, you should try to quit smoking because apart from increasing anxiety, smoking also causes some serious health issues such as stroke, cancer, heart attack and emphysema.
12. Have A Balanced Diet
Some researchers found that there is a link between anxiety levels and eating habits. As a result, we should remove unhealthy and processed foods from our diet plan and instead, opt for more healthy foods. Aim at including more fresh fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins in the daily diet.
- Consume more fish that contains omega-3 fatty acids to help reduce anxiety.
- Add complex carbohydrates to the diet. Some great options are oatmeal, whole wheat bread and quinoa. These food sources can have an increase in the serotonin levels in the brain, thereby giving us a quick relief.
- Reduce the intake of sugary cereals, candy, baked goods as well as other sugar-rich foods.
13. Use Essential Oils
When we get anxious, we can make use of essential oils to relieve anxiety. These essential oils contain soothing and healing properties, which help to relax and calm us down. One of the best essential oils for anxiety relief is lavender oil and here are some simple ways to use this essential oil:
- Add some lavender oil or lavender leave-infused water to the warm water bath.
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to a clean tissue before putting it under the pillow.
- Apply some lavender oil to the temples and then gently massage it with the help of your fingertips.
- Use lavender-infused oil to treat insomnia
Aside from using lavender oil, we can use chamomile, basil, and anise oils for the same effects.
14. Make Love
It may sound strange when it comes to learning how to stop feeling anxiety, but sex actually does work. Sex is a distracting physical activity and it can release happy hormones called endorphins, thereby helping us feel better. Therefore, if you are getting anxious, you can ask your partner to have sex. This can produce the sexual energy and tighten the bond with your partner as well.
15. Try Some Aerobic Activities
Performing some aerobic activities such as light jogging or fast walking can be effective in reducing the severity of anxiety symptoms. This is because these aerobic exercises offer many benefits for human health, including controlling the anxiety symptoms. Other benefits of exercises include:
- Burn away stress hormones.
- Release happy hormones called endorphins, hence improving the overall mood.
- Relax muscles, hence reducing tension
- Force us to breathe healthier
- Improve the sleep, making us fall asleep more easily.
16. Write About Your Current Feeling
Writing about your feeling on paper may help you feel better. Just remember that how you are feeling is only temporary and that you will be able to overcome these difficult times and feel good again.
17. Consider Taking Kava
Kava is a powerful anti-anxiety herb, making it one of the most effective tricks on how to stop feeling anxious right now. Kava contains many essential nutrients that help control the anxiety and simultaneously increase the relaxation levels. Nonetheless, this herb can interact with your current medications, so you should consult your healthcare provider before taking it.
18. Try Therapies
If anxiety has some negative effects on our daily life, we had better seek the help from a professional therapist. There are some kinds of therapies we can choose from when it comes to reducing the severity of the anxiety symptoms:
- Exposure therapy: This kind of therapy helps us struggle with our anxiety and fears, hence improving our mental condition.
- Cognitive therapy: This kind of therapy focuses on changing our negative behaviors and thoughts.
19. Use A Calming Visualization
This trick may be effective in reduce the severity of the symptoms of anxiety. For instance, try picturing yourself in a place of interest such as your favorite field, park, or beach. Then, focus on how it looks, sounds, smells and feels. Assign your emotions and thoughts to objects in your mind. Actually, imagining a calming place can be helpful for reducing anxiety.
20. Focus On Meaningful Activities
When we get anxious, it is time for us to focus on our meaningful activities instead of only thinking about our fears and worries. We just need to focus on your business of life, help other people around you or join in volunteering projects.
21. Let It All Out
When we are getting an anxiety attack, we can try some crazy techniques. For example, find a quiet place and then scream and let it all out. Just let all of your negative thoughts and emotions out.
Our article suggests 21 simple yet effective ways on how to stop feeling anxious without causing any unwanted side effects. We wonder whether or not you can find the best solution for your condition after reading this list. If you have any idea about this topic, feel free to leave your comments in the comment box below. We will try to reply to you as soon as possible.