Gallstones are hard deposits forming inside your gallbladder, which is located on the upper right side of the abdomen. Normally, bile is released into the small intestine in order to support the fats digestion. However, in some cases, bile can get concentrated and create “stones.” If untreated, gallstones can cause infection or a ruptured gallbladder.
- Top 15 Foods To Reduce Bloating And Gas On Stomach/ Home Remedies For Acid Reflux – Top 41 Most Effective Tips
List Of Simple Yet Effective Ways On How To Treat Gallstones Naturally When Pregnant
If you are suffering from pain caused due to gallstones, you should not feel so worried because they can disappear after applying some natural treatments. Now, you should keep both of your eyes on this interesting article to discover some of the best home remedies for removing gallstones quickly. Take a look at Healthy Guide!
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Gallstones
Gallstones can range in size. According to a study, most of the gallstones occur when there is high cholesterol level in the gallbladder. Other causes of gallstones include high bilirubin levels and concentrated bile in the gallbladder.
Generally, women have higher risks of developing gallstones than men. During pregnancy, the risks will even be higher. The reason for that is because during pregnancy, the estrogen levels can result in higher cholesterol levels in the bile. Therefore, about 5-8% of pregnant women will have either gallstones or sludge. Besides, gallstones are more common in people with obesity and those who lose or gain weight rapidly.
Some common signs and symptoms of gallstones include:
- Vomiting and nausea
- Bloating and indigestion
- Back pain
- Sharp pain in your upper right quadrant
Gallstones can cause sharp pain that lasts for several minutes to a few hours and it must be treated right away. So, it is important for you to consult your doctor for proper treatment as soon as possible.
List of 22 Best Tips On How To Treat Stomach Ache In Men And Women will show you some of the most effective tips that can help you treat stomach pain in both men and women, so check it out!
II. How To Treat Gallstones With Natural Ingredients
Fortunately, there are many different home remedies for gallstones that you can choose from. All of these remedies use natural ingredients that you can find available at home. Now, if you want to know how to get rid of gallstones pain, please indulge in the following home remedies.
1. Castor Oil
This should be the first way on how to treat gallstones naturally when pregnant that we want to introduce in this article. Castor oil contains healing and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great solution for pain and swelling in the area.
- Slightly heat 1 cup of castor oil
- Then, soak the cheesecloth in the castor oil.
- Remove excess castor oil from the cloth and put it on the belly where your gallbladder is located.
- Next, hold it in place by wrapping a plastic wrap around your belly
- After that, apply the hot compress over it for 30- 40 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 times per week.
Read on 9 Uses Of Castor Oil For Boils In Men And Women to discover some of the best ways to use castor oil for boils removal in both men and women.
2. How To Treat Gallstones- Beetroot
Beetroot juice is rich in carotenoids, flavonoids and fiber, making it a great solution for reducing blood cholesterol, thereby reducing the formation of cholesterol gallstones. Moreover, drinking beetroot juice also helps improve the functioning of liver. Now, if you want to use beetroot juice for gallstones pain relief, you just need to take the following steps:
- Firstly, cut the beetroot into a few small pieces.
- Blend them with some water to have fresh beetroot juice.
- Have a cup of fresh beetroot juice daily.
To know some of the best benefits of beetroot juice for human health, read on 34 Health Benefits Of Beet Juice For Children And Adults
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon can be good for skin and hair, and it can also be good for gallstones prevention. Drinking lemon water can treat all of the gallbladder problems. Besides, lemon water will give you a quick relief from the pain. Moreover, the high content of vitamin C in lemon juice also helps dissolve gallstones. You can add some lime to the water for extra benefits.
- Firstly, add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to a glass of warm water
- Drink a glass of lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink up to 4 glasses of lemon water throughout the day
- Repeat this process daily for a week
If you want to know some of the benefits of lemon water for health and beauty, read on Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water – 19 Reasons To Drink It!
4. Green Tea
If you are unsure about how to treat gallstones naturally when pregnant, then you can take advantage of green tea. According to a study about green tea antioxidant benefits , green tea contains antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammations and give your body energy. Besides, green tea is also good for treating gallstones.
- Firstly, steep 2 tsp. of green tea leaves in a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5-10 minutes.
- Next, strain the tea and then add some lemon juice and honey for taste.
- Enjoy the green tea while it is still warm
- Have 2-3 cups of green tea daily for keeping gallstones at bay.
Turmeric can be used to cook many dishes. It contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making it a great solution for enhancing the solubility of bile. This will help make sure that gallstones are not created easily. To use turmeric as a gallstones pain treatment, you just need to follow the instructions below:
- Mix ½ tsp. each of turmeric and honey
- Consume this mixture every day to keep gallstones at bay.
6. Gallstone Cleanse Recipe
If you are looking for 100% certain way on how to treat gallstones naturally, then you should not skip this gallstone cleanse recipe. Apple juice is known as a great gallbladder cleanser while lemon juice combined with olive oil helps to excrete the stones that are dissolved by the apple juice.
- Firstly, drink 4 glasses of apple juice daily for 5 days.
- On the sixth day, stop eating after 6 pm. Just drink a glass of warm water mixed with 2 tbsp. of Epsom salt.
- Then, drink another glass of Epsom salt water after several hours.
- After about 2 hours, mix ½ cup of olive oil and lemon juice and then drink this.
- Lie down on the right side until you feel the bowel movement.
- Repeat this home remedy once every 6 months.
7. Cranberry Juice
This is a home remedy for gallstones problems. The dietary fiber found in cranberry juice helps reduce the cholesterol levels in your body, thus preventing the appearance of cholesterol gallstones. For gallstones caused by accumulated bile salts, the acidic nature of the cranberry juice will make sure that you get enough bile flows in order to prevent this accumulation. Simply, you just need to drink a glass of cranberry juice on a daily basis. If the juice is too acidic, you can dilute it with some water.
- Firstly, wash some cranberries with water thoroughly
- Add some water to a pot and bring it to a boil
- When the water boils, put cranberries in a pot.
- Let the cranberries simmer for about 7-10 minutes.
- Then, let them steep for 10 minutes before adding some honey.
- Use a blender to take the juice from the cooked cranberries.
- After that, strain it and place it in the fridge for about 60 minutes.
- Enjoy a glass of cranberry juice daily.
8. How To Treat Gallstones At Home – Apple Juice
If you want to know how to treat gallstones naturally when pregnant by using natural ingredients, you should not ignore apple juice. A regular consumption of apple juice can help you treat the gallstones problem effectively. Malic acid found in apple juice has been found to help dissolve the gallstones and simultaneously reduce the pain. Moreover, apple juice also helps cleanse the gallbladder and liver. Simply, you just need to drink a glass of fresh apple juice on a daily basis.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great home remedy for gallbladder pain. It gives you a quick relief and also helps in dissolving the gallstone thanks to its acidic nature. Now, if you want to get rid of gallstones pain with the help of apple cider vinegar, you can use any of the following methods:
- Mix 1 tsp. of lemon juice with 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water
- Then, drink this solution every morning on an empty stomach
- Have 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar in a bowl
- Then, add a glass of apple juice to the bowl
- Stir it well and then drink it for a pain relief.
- Have 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Then, add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to the bowl.
- Stir it well and add a glass of warm water.
- Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
10. Coconut Oil
If you are struggling with gallbladder attacks, this home remedy may be perfect for you. Coconut oil consists of essential fats, which can be easily-digested by the liver. Therefore, by using coconut oil, you can prevent the accumulation of cholesterol, unhealthy fats as well as bile salts in your gallbladder.
- Lightly heat up 3 tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Then, add the juice of ½ lemon, a small ginger piece, ¼ glass of apple juice and a garlic clove to the coconut oil and blend them well.
- Drink this mixture once per day for several weeks.
According to a research about coffee consumption and gallbladder disease , consuming a cup of coffee daily can help treat gallbladder problems, including gallstones. According to a study, men who drank 2- 3 cups of coffee daily had gallstones nearly 40% lesser than men who did not. Caffeine found in coffee stimulates gallbladder contractions and keeps gallstones at bay. To treat gallstones with coffee, you just need to brew a cup of hot coffee and then enjoy it. For the best results, drink 1-2 cups of coffee every day.
Do you want to know other effective ways on how to treat gallstones at home when pregnant? Keep reading this interesting article and then consider making use of these natural treatments for good.
12. Vitamin C
Apart from being good for your skin and immune system, vitamin C is also effective in preventing the formation of gallstones. The body can make use of vitamin C to convert cholesterol into bile acid. And if your body gets enough vitamin C, the production of cholesterol will be reduced, thereby reducing the risk of gallstone formation. You can find vitamin C in lots of forms. If you do not want to take vitamin pills, you can consume fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C such as kiwi, guava, papaya, mango, orange, etc.
This sounds strange when it comes to learning how to treat gallstones when pregnant, but it actually does work. Dandelion leaves are another home remedy for gallstones. They help in bile excretion as well as fat metabolism. If you want to use dandelion for gallstones pain relief, you can apply either of the following methods:
- Firstly, crumble 1 tbsp. of dried dandelion root and then place it in the pot.
- Pour a cup of boiling water on the pot.
- Allow it to steep for several minutes before adding ½ tsp. of honey to it.
- Strain and then drink this herbal tea twice a day.
- Firstly, put 2 tsp. of the marshmallow root in a pot
- Add 1 tsp. of the Oregon grape root to the pot.
- Then, add 4 cups of water to the pot.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and add 2 tsp. of dried dandelion leaves to the mixture.
- Also, add 1 tsp. of dried peppermint leaves and let it steep for 20 minutes
- After that, strain the mixture and consume it daily.
However, keep in mind that people suffering from diabetes should consult a medical practitioner before using either of these herb-infused teas.
Peppermint helps with the digestive process by stimulating the bile flow as well as other digestive tract juices. Moreover, peppermint also contains a substance called terpene, which can help in diluting gallstones. Regular consumption of peppermint tea can also help you get rid of all gallbladder problems.
- Add a few fresh or dried mint leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Then, cover it and let it steep for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the water and then add ½ tsp. of honey to the tea.
- Drink a cup of peppermint tea between meals.
- Repeat this home remedy for about 6 weeks.
15. How To Treat Gallstones- Pear Juice
The combination of pear juice and honey can be effective in preventing gallstones from developing. Pears have high content of fiber, which is good for improving the digestive system. They also contain antioxidants and vitamin C, which help improve the immunity. Addition to this, pears are also rich in pectin, which helps remove gallstones from the body.
- Firstly, mix ½ glass of pear juice with ½ glass of hot water
- Add 2 tbsp. of honey to the juice and mix it well.
- Drink this pear juice while it is still warm.
- For the best results, drink this juice 3 times per day.
- Peel some pears and remove their seeds
- Then, chop the pears into some thin slices before putting them in a pot.
- Add 1-2 cups of water to the pot and cook it for about 30 minutes
- Consume the warm cooked pears.
16. Milk Thistle
Milk thistle can be used as a home remedy for cleansing liver and preventing gallstones. This is because milk thistle contains active compound called silymarin, which helps shrink the gallstones and relieve bladder pain. Besides, you can also add the powdered milk thistle to your milk, juices, salads and snacks.
- Crush 1 tbsp. of milk thistle seeds, and add 3 cups of water to it
- Then, bring it to a boil
- Let it steep in boiling water for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea, and add some honey for taste.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this herbal tea per day.
- Alternatively, take the supplement of milk thistle after consulting your doctor’s consultation
Although radish is not a favorite veggie for many people, it is also known as another natural remedy for gallstones. According to a study about radish , radish is high in fiber, which is good for improving the digestive system. It can facilitate bile flow and simultaneously keep the gallbladder healthy. However, it is recommended that you should consume radish in moderation.
- Firstly, peel the radish and then cut it into small pieces.
- Mix them with some water to have fresh radish juice
- Drink 1-2 tbsp. of this juice for smaller gallstones and up to 5-6 tbsp. for larger gallstones throughout the day.
18. Vegetable Juice
A diet with less fatty foods and more fresh veggies and fruits is very necessary for those who are suffering from gallstones. Now, we will show you how to treat gallstones naturally from the juice of cucumbers, carrots and beetroot. Cucumber is rich in water content, so it is good for cleaning the liver and gallbladder. Beetroots are known for their ability to detoxify and keep the gallbladder healthy while carrots can help fight against gallstones thanks to their high content of vitamin C.
- Firstly, wash a beet root thoroughly
- Extract out the beetroot juice using a blender
- Then, wash a cucumber thoroughly and also use a blender to get the cucumber juice
- Do the same with 3- 4 small carrots.
- Now, mix all of these juices together
- Consume this mixture twice per day.
- Repeat this process for about 2 weeks.
19. Red Bell Peppers
Having enough vitamin C helps to lower the risk of developing gallstones by strengthening the immune system. The cholesterol is turned into the bile acid with the help of vitamin C in the body, thereby inhibiting the formation of gallstones. As a result, getting enough vitamin C helps lower the risk of getting gallstones. And, red bell peppers are known as one of the simplest home remedies for gallstones that you should not look down since an individual red bell pepper contains about 95mg of vitamin C. For removing gallstones, you just need to consume a red bell pepper daily.
Psyllium is worth mentioning in the list of great ways on how to treat gallstones at home that you should not skip. Psyllium is a soluble fiber, which is very necessary for gallstone home remedies. The fiber found in this compound can help prevent gallstones from developing. It enhances natural bowel movements and reduces the risk of the gallbladder becoming clogged.
- Have some water and bring it to a boil.
- Then, place the psyllium and a tea bag into a mug.
- Cover the psyllium with hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10-15 minutes
- Drink the whole cup once or twice daily.
21. Activated Charcoal
Another natural tip on how to treat gallstones pain naturally is using activated charcoal. Actually, activated charcoal is good for removing toxins from the body, thereby cleansing your liver. You can make a tea from activated charcoal or take a supplement. Simply, you just need to use activated charcoal supplements following the directions on the supplement bottle.
22. How To Treat Gallstones- Bile Salts
When it comes to learning how to treat gallstones at home, bile salts may be a really amazing treatment for gallstones removal. Bile salts are salts that can help improve the gallbladder’s functioning by breaking down the fats buildup in the liver and regulating its bile production. Simply, take 2 bile salt capsules with water before your meal. It actually helps to improve your digestion immediately.
23. Gravel Root
Gravel root is known for its healing properties. This weed can help prevent gallstones from forming and you can find it at any health food store. To make tea from Gravel root, you can try taking the following steps:
- Place some gravel root and a tea bag into the bottom of the mug.
- Then, cover them with hot water.
- Allow it to steep for about 10-15 minutes and then drink the tea
- Alternatively, chew on gravel root several times a day.
Another out of the natural ways on how to treat gallstones pain naturally that people should know is artichoke. Actually, artichoke is known for many health benefits for health, such as preventing cancer, reducing the blood pressure level, improving heart, liver and bone health, treating many digestive problems, boosting brain function, etc.
Artichoke leaves contain compounds called caffeoylquinic acids, which help to enhance the bile flow naturally and effectively. The simplest way to make use of artichoke leaves is to eat them raw. You just need to place 2 artichoke leaves in a shallow baking dish added some water. Then, cover the dish with plastic wrap and heat it up in a microwave for about 5 minutes. When eating artichokes, use the teeth to break off each leaf, scrape the flesh and then throw the pith of the leaf part away.
25. Salt Water
Another natural way on how to treat gallstones at home when pregnant is using salt water, which is highly recommended for digestive problems. Drinking salt water before bedtime can help you reduce the gallstones pain. Simply, mix 1 tbsp. of sea salt or Epsom salt in 250ml of warm water, mix it well and then consume it. Although this home remedy is so simple, it is among the most effective home remedies for gallstones pain.
26. Heating Pad
To get a quick relief from gallstones pain, you just need to use hot water bottle, a heating pad or other heat packs to directly apply onto your stomach where the gallbladder area is located. The heat will have pain-relieving effect on your gallstones pain. It is recommended that people with gallstones pain should use the heating pad within about 20-30 minutes. Also, they should have a layer of cloth between the heating pad and the skin to avoid getting burns. In case you do not have a heating pack or hot pack, you can try soaking yourself in a hot bath for the same effects.
27. Beet Top Extracts
Many nutritional companies have produced very useful extracts from the beet plant, particularly the beet top extracts that can help improve the bile flow effectively. You just need to consume the combination of bile salts and beet extracts in order to reduce the gallbladder pain. You can purchase these extracts from any health food store.
28. Sauerkraut And Sauerkraut Juice
When you consume sauerkraut along with its juice regularly, it will help enhance the bile flow effectively and naturally. Just need to take a cup of sauerkraut juice once or twice per week before having breakfast.
There are a few kinds of nuts that can be used as home remedies for gallstones. Cashews, walnuts, and pecans are some great options for you to keep the bile flowing. A study found that people who consume 5 ounces of nuts per week have less risks of developing gallstones. Therefore, you should eat up to 5 ounces of nuts weekly for best effects.
There are some other effective natural treatments for how to treat gallstones when pregnant in this article. Therefore, if you are suffering from the pain caused by gallstones, you should consider applying any of the following treatments as soon as possible.
30. Chanca Piedra
Chanca Piedra has been found to improve the health of both the gallbladder and the kidneys. This plant can help stimulate the natural bile flow in order to help cleanse out the bile ducts. You can purchase this plant at health food stores.
- Firstly, place the Chanca Piedra into a mug
- Add a tea bag to the mug for taste
- Then, cover the Chanca Piedra and tea bag with boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the whole cup of this herbal tea up to twice per day.
31. How To Treat Gallstones- Wine
Wine is also known as one of the most effective ways on how to treat gallstones pain at home. Researchers found that drinking a glass wine daily can help inhibit gallstone attacks. Interestingly, wine can help relieve the gallstones pain within 20 minutes after drinking ½ glass of wine. Therefore, if you are looking for a simple way on how to treat gallstones pain naturally, consume a glass of wine on a daily basis.
32. Lipase Enzymes
Lipase Enzymes supports the fat breakdown in the liver, thereby making the bile flowing more efficiently. You can purchase these enzymes at a health food store. You just need to take 2 capsules of lipase enzymes with water before meals. This method can help improve the digestion immediately.
III. How To Treat Gallstones Through Diet
If you can have a gallbladder-friendly diet combined with exercise and proper supplementation during pregnancy, you can help your body function properly. If you find difficult to eat due to gallstones pain, the following diet tips will help you reduce the severity of the gallstones symptoms.
1. Choose The Fats Wisely
Since the gallstones can be caused by hormone changes during pregnancy, you should try to avoid bad fats such as oily, fried and trans-fat laden foods. Since your body still needs fats for your own body and your baby’s, you should find healthier alternatives such as cold-water fish. Also, lean and grass-fed meat is another great choice for you. The omega-3s from these meats are good for both you and your baby’s development.
2. Avoid Overeating
Eating for two does not mean that you need to double up the portions of your foods. Overeating can make your digestion difficult and even lead to gallbladder attacks. Addition to this, overeating can cause unnecessary weight gain and make your childbirth and recovery after pregnancy more difficult. Moreover, you should try to keep your body weight healthy because being obese or overweight can increase your risks of developing gallstones.
3. Avoid Refined Foods
One of the best treatments for how to treat gallstones pain naturally that has been recommended by experts is avoiding refined foods. Refined foods offer very little nutrients and fiber while they offer high refined sugar and sodium. Moreover, heavily-processed foods are also rich in calories and fat. Besides, these foods often contain preservatives that can negatively affect your body in the long run. These preservatives are also not good for your baby.
4. Watch Your Sugar
Apart from unhealthy fats, you should also stay away from foods that are rich in sugar. This is because high sugar diets are associated with the formation of gallstones. Even, high sugar diets during pregnancy can also contribute to gestational diabetes. People suffering from diabetes often have high level of triglyceride, which is associated with the formation of gallstones.
5. Avoid Your Food Allergies
If you are looking for great ways on how to treat gallstones when pregnant, you should try to avoid your food allergies. Consuming food allergies can result in painful gallbladder attacks. Some common food allergens are dairy and gluten. The three top foods that can cause gallbladder attacks are eggs, onion and pork. Know your food allergies and then try to keep away from them to help you treat gallstones.
6. Increase The Intake Of Vitamin D
Apart from being good for fetal growth, vitamin D is also good for the mothers by boosting gastrointestinal health. This essential vitamin helps improve bile movement, thereby preventing biliary sludge as well as gallstones. Moreover, vitamin D deficiency may also cause secondary Vitamin B deficiency and problems related to your digestion and metabolism.
7. Increase Your Calcium Intake
Calcium can “tie” the acids in your gallbladder bile, thereby reducing the risks of developing new stones. Women need to take 1000- 2000mg of calcium from all sources in their daily diet, especially from natural foods, and if required, they can consider taking about 500- 700mg of calcium in the supplement form. Meanwhile, men should take only 500-600mg of calcium daily from all sources. You can try drinking milk daily to get enough calcium.
8. Consume Fiber- Rich Foods
To avoid gallstone formation, according to a study about gallbladder diet plan , you need to ensure that you consume more fiber-rich foods. These foods can help keep your digestive system healthy and push problematic cholesterol out from the body, thereby reducing the cholesterol buildup in the gallbladder. Some great sources of fiber for you are raw veggies and fruits, whole grains and lentils.
Actually, this is known as one of the best ways on how to treat gallstones when pregnant that you should not look down, yet try to add more fiber-rich foods to your daily diet.
9. How To Treat Gallstones- Avoid Soy
Products made from soy can put you at higher risks of getting gallstones, and increase the severity of your gallbladder pain. Studies found that phytoestrogen found in soybean can harm the thyroid, resulting in the hormonal imbalance, which has been found to associate with gallbladder pain as well as gallstones.
10. Consume More Vegetables
Vegetables are required for lowering the cholesterol levels in the bile, thereby treating the symptoms of gallstones. You should include a bowl of salad with many different green vegetables in your diet plan to help treat gallbladder problems. Besides, you should try many different types of veggies throughout the year in order to avoid boredom.
- Lentils: Adding lentils to your diet can help treat gallbladder problems.
- Red bell pepper: It offers 95mg of vitamin C, which is necessary for treating gallstones.
11. Drink Plenty Of Water
Another simple way on how to treat gallstones when pregnant that people should not look down is drinking plenty of water daily. We all know that water is essential for our lives, and it also helps struggle with some health problems. Water may help to make the body simpler to break down fat that may make the gallstones symptoms worse. Therefore, it is recommended that you should drink about 6-8 glasses of water every day.
12. Take Supplements
This is the last but very important way on how to treat gallstones pain at home that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to make use for good. Taking vitamins and supplements may be helpful for treating the symptoms of gallstones. For instance, calcium, folic acid and iron are recommended to pregnant women. You can take supplementation that supports your bile in your last two trimesters.
After knowing how to treat gallstones during pregnancy, it is advisable to consult a doctor if you are struggling with any gallbladder problem. There are medications and natural treatments to dissolve the gallstones . And the final option for patients is surgery if these treatments do not work.
Our article suggests some of the best methods to relieve the pain caused by gallstones and remove these stones from your body without causing any harmful side effects. We wonder whether or not you can find the proper solutions for your condition after reading our list. If you have any concerns about the home remedies for gallstones or know other great ways on how to treat gallstones pain, remember to leave your comments in the comment box below.