Almost all people experience headaches at one time or another and they are one of the most common health issues. Headaches can be divided into 3 main categories: migraine headaches, tension headaches and cluster headaches. People can use over-the-counter medicines to get headache relief. However, there are also many natural remedies that can help you get rid of your headaches effectively and quickly.
- 20 Facts – How Stress Affects The Body And Health/ Top 48 Best Home Remedies For Stress Relief And Removal
List Of Simple Home Remedies For Headaches
If you are suffering from headaches, you can try applying any of the following home remedies for headaches or migraines. Actually, there are some natural treatments that can help in relieving the pain and inflammation associated with headaches. In this article, Healthy Guide will reveal some of the best home remedies for migraines that you can apply at home.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Headaches
Headaches are the pain occurring in any region of your neck, head, or scalp. Generally, headaches are the body’s response to emotional or physical stress. There are many contributing factors for headaches and they include:
- Physiological changes in the head
- Abnormal neuron activity
- Constriction of blood vessels
- Excessive smoking and drinking alcohol
- Lack of water
- Overuse of pain killers
- Neck strain, eye strain
Read on How To Reduce Eye Strain When Using Computer – Top 34 Ways to discover some of the best tips to reduce eye strain, especially for those who often use computer.
II. Home Remedies For Headaches Or Migraines In Toddlers And Adults
There are many natural ingredients that can be used to help you get rid of your headaches. They include:
1. Ice Pack
This is the first one among the best home remedies for headaches that we want to mention in this article today. The cold from ice pack can help reduce inflammation caused by headaches. Addition to this, it also helps relieve the pain thanks to its numbing effect.
- Place an ice pack on the back of your neck
- Alternatively, soak a washcloth in ice-cold water and then place it over your head for about 5 minutes. Repeat this remedy a few times.
- Also, use a frozen vegetable bag as a cold compress.
List of 15 Tips How To Get Rid of Headaches Naturally And Fast In Men & Women will show you some of the best tips that can help you treat headaches naturally and quickly in both men and women, so check it out!
2. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil contains menthol that can help open the clogged blood vessels causing headaches. Besides, this oil also has soothing and calming effects. When applied directly on your forehead, this oil can help increase blood flow to your brain and simultaneously inhibit muscle contractions.
- Drip some peppermint oil in a pot of hot water
- Then, inhale the steam for several minutes
- Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil with 1 tbsp. of almond oil or olive oil.
- Then, massage your temples and forehead with the oil mixture.
- Place some crushed fresh peppermint leaves over the forehead.
To know some of the best ways to use essential oils for headaches relief, read on How To Use Essential Oils For Headaches – 15 Great Oils To Apply
3. Home Remedies For Headaches- Ginger
Ginger is another great one among the best home remedies for headaches that you should try out! Ginger can be used to reduce inflammation, hence giving a relief from your headache. To use ginger for headaches relief, you can apply any of the following methods:
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and ginger juice.
- Then, consume this solution once or twice per day.
- Mix 1 tsp. of powdered ginger in 2 tbsp. of water
- Then, apply this paste on your forehead for several minutes.
- Boil raw ginger or powdered ginger in water, and then inhale the vapor.
- Chew 1-2 pieces of ginger candy.
4. Chamomile Tea
One of the best home remedies for headaches or migraines that has been recommended by many people is chamomile tea. Studies found that chamomile tea contains powerful antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory compounds that help relax your mind and relieve the pain.
- Add a chamomile tea bag to a cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Then, add 1 tsp. of honey to the tea and mix it well.
- Slowly drink the hot tea.
If you want to know some of the simple drinks recipes for weight loss that you can make with ease at home, read on List Of 29 Best Easy Homemade Drinks Recipes To Lose Weight
5. Lavender Oil
Smelling the scent of lavender oil is also effective in reducing tension headaches. This soothing essential oil can help relieve anxiety, stress, and depression, hence effectively treating anxiety and stress-related headaches. This oil is safe for both pregnant women and young children. Just remember that you do not take this oil orally.
- Place some lavender oil on a tissue and then inhale it.
- Add 2 drops of lavender oil to about 2 cups of hot water and then inhale it.
- Mix 2-3 drops of lavender oil in 1 tbsp. of olive oil or almond oil and then use the oil mixture to massage your forehead.
6. Mint Juice
Another one among the best home remedies for headaches in adults is mint juice. Mint contains menthol and menthone, both of which are effective in relieving the symptoms of headaches.
- Take out the mint juice from some fresh mint leaves
- Then, apply the mint juice on your forehead and temples.
- Place mint tea compresses on your forehead.
7. Rosemary Oil
The rosmarinic acid found in rosemary oil contains anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, which are effective in treating a headache. Just remember that rosemary oil is not recommended for those with high blood pressure.
- Add 1 tsp. of crushed rosemary leaves and 1 tsp. of crushed sage leaves to a cup of water
- Cover it and bring it to a boil
- Then, let it steep for about 10 minutes
- Let it cool down and then drink the tea 2-3 times daily
- Mix some rosemary oil in 1 tbsp. of olive oil or almond oil and then use this oil mixture to massage your temples and forehead
Consuming apples is a great way among home remedies for headaches in toddlers. According to a study, consuming apples can help balance the alkaline and acid levels in your body, providing you a relief from your headaches. Simply, you just need to consume an apple with some salt.
If you want to know the best home remedies for headaches that you can make use at home, you can consider making use of cloves. Cloves can be used to reduce tension headaches thanks to their pain-relieving properties. You can apply any of the following methods if you want to relieve your headaches with the help of cloves.
- Crush a few cloves and then place them in a clean handkerchief.
- Then, inhale its smell whenever you get a headache
- Add 2 drops of clove oil to 1 tbsp. of olive oil or almond oil
- Then, use this oil mixture to massage your temples and forehead.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of coconut oil, 2 drops of clove oil and 1 tsp. of sea salt
- Then, apply this mixture on your temples and forehead.
10. Basil Leaves
Basil acts as a muscle relaxant, so it can be used to treat mild headaches caused due to tense muscles. Additionally, basil also has analgesic and calming effects.
- Place 3- 4 fresh basil leaves in about one cup of hot water
- Let it simmer for several minutes.
- Add some honey to the tea and then slowly sip it.
- Boil some basil oil or 1 tbsp. of basil leaves in a pot of water
- Then, inhale the steam.
- Massage your forehead and temples with basil oil mixed with olive oil or almond oil
- Chew some fresh basil leaves
11. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Another great essential oil for treating tension and sinus headaches is eucalyptus oil because this essential oil contains pain-relieving, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add 5-6 drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of boiling water
- Allow it to dissolve completely and then inhale the steam for more than 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process if required.
12. Lemon Citrus Oil
This is considered as a great ingredient you should use when it comes to learning home remedies for headaches in adults. Lemon citrus oil works wonders in reducing tension and migraines headaches. Besides, this essential oil is also good for treating sore throats, colds, depression, stress and fatigue. Simply, you just need to diffuse 8- 10 drops of lemon citrus oil oil for the entire night.
13. Home Remedies For Headaches- Chamomile Oil
According to a study about essential oils for headache relief , chamomile essential oil is a great home remedy for stress-related headaches thanks to its effectiveness in relieving neuralgic pain.
- Add 1- 2 drops of chamomile essential oil to 8-10 drops of olive oil or jojoba oil
- Use this oil mixture to massage your head, temples, chest, neck, and shoulders, preferably before bathing.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, inhale the chamomile oil directly.
14. Flaxseed Oil
This essential oil is great for migraine headaches thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Simply, you mix 1-2 drops of flaxseed oil in 1 tsp. of jojoba oil or coconut oil. Then, massage your temples and head with this oil mixture. Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing the oil off.
15. Geranium Oil
This sweet essential oil can be used to calm and relax our tensed body and mind. Simply, add 8-10 drops of geranium oil to your bathwater for quick relief from stress, headaches and tension. Alternatively, you can diffuse geranium oil overnight to reduce your headaches.
If you are looking for the best home remedies for headaches, then you should not ignore this ingredient. Lemon is refreshing and energizing, and it also contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great home remedy for headaches.
- Pound the lemon crusts and then combine them with water to create a paste.
- Then, apply this paste on your forehead
- Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Alternatively, cut a fresh lemon in half and then rub it on your temples and forehead.
17. Helichrysum Oil
Another effective remedy for headaches is to use helichrysum oil, which contains powerful analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add 2-3 drops of helichrysum essential oil to a bowl of cold water.
- Then, soak a washcloth into the bowl and use it on your neck and forehead as a cold compress.
- Note: Avoid getting this solution in your eyes.
According to a research about the link between headaches and dehydration , dehydration is one of the common causes of a headache. Therefore, eating water-rich foods such as watermelon can be a great solution. This tasty fruit is 80% water and it is also a great source of essential minerals, which aid to relieve headaches. You can consume watermelon in some ways such as a salad or a watermelon smoothie. You can also add a dash of ginger to enhance the effects of watermelon.
19. Green Tea
The caffeine found in green tea can help improve blood circulation to the brain, hence providing a relief from a headache. Besides, it also improves the nervous system and flushes out free radicals.
- Steep a green tea bag or some green tea leaves in a cup of hot water for several minutes.
- Strain this solution and optionally add some honey or lemon juice for taste
- Drink 3- 4 cups of this hot tea daily.
Do you want to know other best home remedies for headaches in toddlers and adults? If yes, continue to read the remaining of this interesting article and then try out any of these natural remedies at home in order to get a headache relief.
20. Feverfew Tea
Another one among the best home remedies for headaches in adults is feverfew tea. This tea has been found to relax the tension in the blood vessels, hence relieving the pain and inflammation. To make feverfew tea, you just need to follow the instruction below:
- Add 1 oz. of dried feverfew flowers to a pint of water
- Bring it to a boil and steep it for about 15 minutes
- Strain this tea and drink it while it is still hot.
21. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial properties. The daily consumption of apple cider vinegar helps balance the acid-alkaline levels in the body. To use apple cider vinegar for headaches relief, you just need to take the following steps:
- Add 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to a cup of lukewarm water
- Drink this solution at least thrice daily.
- Alternatively, heat the equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and then directly inhale the vapors.
22. Home Remedies For Headaches- Fish Oil
Fish oil contains omega-3s that are well known for their anti-inflammatory agents. The regular intake of this beneficial oil can help reduce the frequency and severity of migraine headaches. Simply, take a fish oil supplement daily and continue taking it for a few weeks. Just remember that pregnant and breastfeeding women as well as children should take these supplements only after consulting a doctor.
23. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is worth mentioning in this list of home remedies for headaches in adults due to its multiple benefits for health. Cayenne pepper can help in treating both pain and inflammation thanks to its substance called capsaicin.
- Dilute 1/2 tsp. of ground cayenne pepper in 4 oz. of warm water
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution before applying it to the insides of your nostril.
In regard to learning home remedies for headaches in toddlers, you should try adding yogurt to the diet plan. Consuming a cup of fat-free yogurt is a great way to help you treat any type of headache. Yogurt is rich in probiotics and calcium, which are necessary for the proper brain’s functioning. Just ensure that you do not add extra sugar to your yogurt.
According to a research , drinking a cup of coffee can help you get rid of a headache. This is because caffeine found in the coffee is known as a vasoconstrictor, which means that it helps reduce the size of the blood vessels, hence alleviating the pain. Just remember that coffee is also a diuretic, so drinking it too much can lead to dehydration.
Mushrooms are rich in vitamin B2, which is required for making cellular energy and relieving headaches. Besides, the riboflavin content of mushroom makes it one of the best food choices for treating headaches.
If you are looking for home remedies for headaches in adults, you should not skip this ingredient. This leafy veggie is known to lower the blood pressure levels in your body, hence relieving your tension headaches. Simply, make your own spinach salad and experience a headache relief.
28. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are rich in magnesium and vitamin E, which are effective in balancing out the estrogen levels in the body, making them a great solution for hormonal headaches. Besides, sesame seeds also enhance blood circulation to the brain, reducing the risks of any muscle tension. Simply, sprinkle some sesame seeds on your salads or soups to keep your headaches at bay.
Known as an effective way to treat headaches, bananas are packed with essential nutrients such as magnesium and potassium. Magnesium has been found to relieve our tensed muscles while potassium has been found to balance the electrolyte levels in the body, hence relieving the pain.
It has been found that taking healthy fats can treat chronic headaches and relieve inflammation. And, one of the best food choices of omega-3 fatty acids is salmon. They contain anti-inflammatory properties, which aid to reduce the migraine headaches.
Beef liver can also help in treating headaches thanks to its high content of vitamin B3. Besides, beef liver is also rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins A, B6, B12, E, K, and folate. Therefore, adding this food to your diet plan can help in reducing chronic migraines.
Pineapple is a water-based fruit and it can be used to treat a few kinds of headache. Pineapple has a compound called bromelain that has anti-inflammatory effects, making it a home remedy for headaches. Consume pineapples daily in the form of a juice, smoothie or salad.
33. Warm Milk
Consuming warm milk with cloves or cinnamon is a great way to treat annoying headache. Cow milk encourages sleep, which is required for treating a throbbing headache. In case you are lactose intolerant, ignore this remedy.
34. Home Remedies For Headaches- Almonds
Salicin found in almonds works as a natural aspirin. Besides, almonds are also rich in magnesium, which mineral that migraine patients often lack. Just consume some raw or roasted almonds whenever you have a headache for a migraine relief.
Himalayan salt is rich in minerals and electrolytes, which help reduce the severity of your headache. Besides, it also enhances the immune system and improves the energy levels.
- Firstly, squeeze the juice from a lemon and then add it to a glass of water.
- Add 1 tsp. of Himalayan salt and blend it well.
- Drink this water for a quick relief.
36. Vitamins For Headache
The intake of vitamin supplements can help control a migraine.
- Vitamin B2: According to a study , it is required for treating migraines. Our body requires about 400mg of this vitamin daily to prevent migraine attacks.
- Vitamin B3: It helps calm down vascular headaches by boosting the blood circulation to your head and relaxing the blood vessels.
- Vitamin B12: It helps increase energy production in your nerve cells and increases the blood supply.
- Vitamin D:The deficiency of vitamin D can worsen a headache, so the intake of vitamin D is also necessary for treating headaches
- Vitamin B complex: The regular intake of vitamin B complex helps reduce the frequency of headaches.
37. Stay Hydrated
Dehydration is one of the most common causes of headaches. Therefore, you should drink a glass of water right after you have a headache attack. Also, you should keep drinking water throughout the day to keep your headache at bay.
38. Foot Soak
Soaking your feet and hands in warm water will help ease up the blood vessels in your head and simultaneously remove toxins from your body.
- Add 2 tbsp. of powdered mustard to a basin of warm water
- Optionally, add some essential oil of your choice for more soothing effect.
- Soak your hands and feet in this basin for about 20-30 minutes.
39. Home Remedies For Headaches- Yoga
Doing yoga can help keep your body free from tension and ease tension-type headaches. Yoga improves respiration, loosens tensed muscles, and simultaneously increases muscle strength, making the circulatory system healthy.
Acupressure  is known as an effective technique for relieving headaches. Press and massage the area between your index finger and thumb, at the highest area of the muscle when both fingers are brought close together. Keep doing this for 1-2 minutes and then reapply on the other hand. Just keep in mind that you do not press this point if you are pregnant.
After reading this informative article, we hope that you can find some of these home remedies for headaches or migraines above that work best for you. You can try any of these remedies to relieve your headaches without needing to worry about their side effects. Also, if you know other great natural treatments for headaches, feel free to share them with us by leaving your comments in the comment box below. For further simple yet effective health and beauty tips, remember to visit our How To Category.