Most of the adults will experience acid reflux or heartburn during their lifetime. It is a symptom characterized by a burning sensation occurring right behind the breastbone that creeps up their throat. This symptom is caused by acid reflux, which turns up when the muscle’ s ring that helps foods get into the stomach relaxes when it should not. And the result is that the acid from the stomach returns up the esophagus, which results in the burning sensation.
Table Of Contents
I. What Is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux is a term that shows the stomach acids flowing upwards in the esophagus. It is possible to have acid reflux without having heartburn, but it is impossible to have heartburn without having reflux. Although there are many over-the-counter medications available, they can also cause unwanted side effects. So, lifestyle changes and home remedies for acid reflux may be the best options for you.
II. Causes Of Acid Reflux
- Excess intake of fast foods and greasy foods
- Caffeine, alcohol
- Lying down right after eating
- Malfunctioning of the LES
- Certain medications
III. Symptoms Of Acid Reflux
Some common symptoms of acid reflux are:
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Loss of weight
- Bloody stools
- Dry cough, sore throat
List of 15 Natural Ways On How To Get Rid Of Hiccups Fast will help you know how to treat hiccups fast. Check it out!
IV. Home Remedies For Acid Reflux
Now, read on this article to learn about home remedies for acid reflux for men and women. If you want to get more information about how to deal with health issues naturally as well as home remedies for some of the common health problems, you should spend time reading this entire article and other articles about common women health problems then try to follow one or more of these home remedies for good.
Frequent and severe acid reflux needs medical treatment. But, if you suffer from mild symptoms, you can follow some following home remedies to get an instant relief.
1. Maintain A Healthy Weight
According to a study, being overweight will increase the risk of developing GERD, and you will experience occasional heartburn a lot more. This is because added pounds, especially in the abdominal area, will put extra pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter. As a result, you will be at a higher risk of stomach acids going back into your esophagus and resulting in heartburn. So, consider losing excess weight.
To know best foods that will help you lose fat and gain muscles, check out the Top 34 Best Foods For Fat Loss And Muscle Gain
2. Aloe Juice
Aloe is used to soothe burns and help something like sunburns. Also, it can help with your heartburn as it can reduce inflammation. When your stomach starts becoming inflamed and irritated, a glass of aloe vera juice can be a good choice to calm it down. Just remember that aloe can work as a laxative, so you may need to have some extra bath.
- Before meals, you drink ½ cup of aloe vera juice that is cool or at room temperature
- Also, you can mix aloe vera juice with coconut water or any fresh fruit juice.
If you want to know tips to help you treat burns on hand naturally, see the Top 29 Tips On How To Treat Burns On Hand At Home
3. Baking Soda
A spoonful of baking soda can help you put an end to the burning sensation caused by severe acid reflux. According to a research about a link between baking soda and acid reflux, you can know that this ingredient can help your reflux and your heartburn. Baking soda has a pH greater than 7.0, and thus it helps neutralize the stomach acid, which means that when the lower esophageal sphincter decides to relax and acids come up the throat, you will not get burned.
- You mix ½-1 tsp. of baking soda into a cup of water.
- Stir it well and drink this mixture.
- Repeat this treatment as required, but you should not exceed 7 teaspoon doses a day.
- Note: Avoid using this for more than 7 days. It has high content of salt and can cause unwanted side effects like nausea or swelling.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
When you feel acid burning the esophagus, you may need to ingest more acid. In some cases, your severe acid reflux is caused by not having enough acid in the stomach. If your body does not produce enough acid, the lower esophageal sphincter will think that it is not a big deal to reduce a little bit. Of course, you will have acid reflux in your esophagus. If you may be in this case, you should consider drinking some pure apple cider vinegar to see whether this treats your reflux.
- You mix 3 tsp. of raw apple cider vinegar into 6 ounces of water.
- Drink this solution 20- 30 minutes before each of your meal, before going to bed or 2-3 times a day. Do this treatment regularly, at least for several months.
- Note: If you think that it worsens your condition, stop drinking it immediately.
5. Ginger Root Tea
According to a research, ginger root can help you relieve some stomach problems, including acid reflux. Drinking a cup of gingerroot tea about 20 minutes before eating can help you ease up your tummy.
- You slice up 3 pieces of gingerroot and then gently simmer them in 2 cups of fresh water.
- Cover it for half an hour.
- Then, you remove the pieces of gingerroot or leave them in and drink all of the tea about 20 minutes before eating.
Having a cup of chamomile tea about 30-60 minutes before going to bed can help you reduce inflammation occurring in the stomach, and possibly maintain the acidity levels too. Also, it works to relieve stress, which can cause acid reflux, and therefore help you have good night sleep as well. You can make use of instant chamomile tea or make your own chamomile tea.
- You boil a cup of water and then reduce the heat.
- Add 1 tsp. of dried chamomile petals to the boiling water and then allow them to simmer for about 45 seconds.
- After that, you remove it from heat and allow the chamomile petals to soak for another 1-2 minutes before you strain them with a strainer.
- You pour the chamomile tea into a mug and if desired, add some honey or lemon to taste.
Read the Top 15 Foods To Reduce Bloating to get more knowledge of foods that can help you reduce bloating.
7. Licorice Root
It may be beneficial for acid reflux sue to its stomach-healing substances. It may ease up the mucus membranes and help protect the gut’s lining, thus reducing gastric inflammation and gastric spasms.
- You boil ½ tsp. of licorice root powder in a glass of water. Strain it using a strainer and then drink it about 15-20 minutes before your meals. Repeat this home remedy 2-3 times a day for about 7 days.
- Alternatively, you can take in 400-800mg of chewable DGL tablets before eating, about 2-3 times a day. Continue using this home remedy for at least several weeks. You can buy this herbal supplement from any of the natural food stores.
- Note: Before you take this herb, you should consult a doctor.
When it comes to learning home remedies for acid reflux for women, you should not skip out apples. Apples have malic and tartaric acid, which helps balance out the pH level of the stomach. Also, it contains pectic that boosts proper digestion. Especially, when you want to treat acid reflux, take 5 bites of apple.
Bananas have natural antacids that may work to fight against acid reflux. In case you are looking for the simplest home remedy for acid reflex, try out eating a ripe banana every day. Bananas have a high content of vitamin B, which calms down the stomach muscles and prevents the stomach from churning acid.
Actually, consuming bananas is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux for men that you should follow for good, especially if you are looking for the way to relieve acid reflux symptoms at home.
10. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are full of vitamins, minerals as well as dietary fiber. It is helpful for improving digestion as well as reducing stomach spasms. They contain a compound called anethole, which may help calm down the spasms occurring in the gastrointestinal tract. It also has anti-inflammatory powers.
Fennel seeds are safe for breastfeeding women, pregnant women and children. These seeds can help increase breast milk while fennel water can be used to cure colicky newborn babies.
- Simply, you chew on ½ tsp. of fennel seeds after eating.
- Alternatively, you can bring 1 tsp of fennel seeds and a cup of water to a boil.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 minutes and then strain this solution.
- Drink this solution 2-3 times a day for several days.
11. Stop Smoking And Drinking Alcohol
According to a research about the negative effects of smoking, smoking and drinking alcohol can make you experience terrible reflux. The nicotine and alcohol work to cause your stomach contents and acid to go back up into your esophagus. Besides, alcohol will also irritate your stomach. So, if you want to improve your overall health and relieve acid reflux, quit smoking and drink less.
Actually, this is one of the home remedies for acid reflux for men that you should not look down, but try to follow it as soon as possible, especially if you want to improve your overall health and treat acid reflux symptoms at the same time.
12. Slippery Elm
It contains demulcent properties that may help cover the esophagus as well as the lining of your stomach. In addition to this, it has anti-inflammatory and soothing effects.
- You mix 2 tbsp. of powdered slippery elm bark and 2 cups of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 minutes.
- You drink this solution 3 times a day until you realize an improvement.
Marshmallow also contains soothing and demulcent properties. Besides, as it is rich in mucilage, it can protect the mucosal lining of your esophagus and stomach.
- Add 2 tbsp. of dried marshmallow root to 4 cups of water.
- Allow it to stay overnight.
- Strain out it the next morning.
- Then, drink this solution several times a day until you see a improvement.
14. Cumin Seeds
They can help treat acid reflux because they stimulate your digestion and ease up digestive problems like gas and acidity.
- You have 1 tsp. of cumin seeds and a cup of water and then bring it to a boil. Allow it to steep for about 5 minutes and strain it.
- Drink this cumin seed tea in the morning and after eating for several days or until you see an improvement.
- Also, you can add it to your foods while cooking.
15. Holy Basil Leaves
This is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux for men that you should not skip out. Simply, you chew some fresh holy basil leaves to give you an instant relief from the symptoms of acid reflux.
16. Carrot Juice
Do you know that a cup of carrot juice can work to give you an instant relief from the symptoms of acid reflux. Also, you can drink cabbage juice to reap the same benefits.
17. Indian Gooseberry
Consider eating raw Indian gooseberry. It is known as one of the best herbs for acid reflux. You can add some salt to it for taste. This treatment can help improve digestion and prevent further acid reflux.
Fenugreek seeds are known as a good home remedy to offer you an instant relief for your acid reflux. Just soak some fenugreek seeds in water and then drink it
You can eat papaya to cure the symptoms of acid reflux. This is because papaya has enzymes, which may be helpful to digestion. Also, it is used to boot metabolism, reduce inflammation and cure constipation.
Actually, this is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux for women that you should make use if you want to cure the symptoms of acid reflux at home.
It is a good herbal remedy for acid reflux because it can help treat the stomach lining naturally while curing the symptoms of acid reflux.
21. Wood Betony
This herb can remove excess acid from the stomach while it also helps in improving digestion. Do you want to discover other home remedies for acid reflux for men? Continue reading this article and then follow at least one of these home remedies at home for good.
22. Lemon Juice
You mix some juice from one lemon in a cup of warm water and then drink it when you have an empty stomach in the morning in order to ease up the symptoms of acid reflux. Besides, lemon juice also maintains a balance of acidity level in your stomach and prevents severe acid reflux.
This is one of the most effective home remedies for acid reflux for men that you should consider following at home. To reduce the discomfort that is caused by acid reflux, you should chew on some cloves.
This is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux for women that you should not skip out if you want to cure your acid reflux symptoms at home. This is because honey has soothing properties and helps neutralize the acidic level that is caused in the stomach. Also, it is also effective in preventing acid reflux at night. Simply, take a spoonful of honey before going to sleep at night.
It is a natural herb to cure the symptoms of acid reflux. You can use it with milk to treat the symptoms of acid reflux.
This is another one of the best home remedies for acid reflux that a lot of people in the world have been making use for good. You take 2 cardamoms and then grind them. Next, you add 250ml of water to them and bring it to a boil for about 13-15 minutes. You strain and drink this water. It will help you cure the symptoms of acid reflux.
Another one of the best home remedies for acid reflux for women that you should know must include milk. Drinking chilled milk can give you an instant relief from the symptoms of acid reflux.
28. Black Pepper
Another one on the list of home remedies for acid reflux for men that you should not skip out must include black pepper. It stimulates your digestion and it is also helpful for removing acid reflux.
- You add black peeper to your cooking.
- Alternatively, you grind some black pepper. Then, mix some rock salt in this. Take ½ tsp. of black pepper with water twice a day, after having meals. It is very good for removing acid reflux.
29. Mint Leaves
When you are suffering from acid reflux symptoms, mint leaves can be helpful. It is a good home remedy for acid reflux that you should not skip out.
- You take some mint leaves and then chop them.
- Then, you add them to a glass of hot water.
- Drink this water when it is cool.
In fact, this is another one of the home remedies for acid reflux that you should know and then try to follow in order to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux as soon as possible.
Keep in mind that the more probiotics you have, the better your digestion will work. Taking probiotics daily will help nutrients and foods to be well-digested. Also, it helps decrease the amount of bacteria that may cause heartburn in your system.
Probiotics help replenish the lost bacteria due to other medications that you may take in. Good bacteria helps balance the natural flora in your small intestine. This also prevents the buildup of gas and bloating that can make foods go back up into your stomach. Probiotics works on acid reflux symptoms and it deals with the cause behind your acid reflux. It may take several weeks to treat this condition, so you should continue taking in probiotics every day for the best results.
Take probiotic-high foods including kombucha drinks, water or milk Kefir, unflavored yogurts, sauerkraut and fermented foods. High-quality probiotic capsules can be found at any of the health food store.
Almonds are a home remedy for ulcers. They are rich in oil content that may soothe the acid in your stomach. Plus, the high content of fiber of the nut may help with your digestion. Alternatively, organic almond milk is an alternative to raw nuts. You can mix almond milk, oatmeal and bananas for a powerful effect. This meal is good for breakfast for both kids and adults.
- Consume 4-5 almonds after eating. In case your acid reflux is severe, consume a handful of raw almonds.
There are some of the other home remedies for acid reflux for men and women in this article. Continue to read this entire article and then consider following one or more of these remedies as soon as possible.
Calcium is a well-known home remedy for acid reflux. It is also one of the main ingredients found in many over-the-counter antacids. It is needed to maintain a pH balance and to help with healthy digestion. Vitamin D and magnesium is also important as they are required to absorb calcium into your body. So, be sure that you take these supplements every day, along with the calcium. Try to take 1,000mg of calcium orotate supplements daily, with about 2000IU of vitamin D3.
Actually, this is another one on the list of home remedies for acid reflux that you should know when you want to deal with your acid reflux symptoms.
When it comes to learning home remedies for acid reflux for men, you should not skip out the fact that celery can help you treat acid reflux symptoms naturally. It has a proper alkaline pH and a sedative property that helps eases up the stomach muscles.
In fact, this is one of the most effective home remedies for acid reflux that you should not skip out, but try to add celery to your daily diet as soon as possible.
This is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux that you should not skip out, but try to add more of these pickles to your daily diet for good. It is also an effective treatment to treat dry lips. Pickles work fast on your heartburn. This is because the vinegar content may help neutralize the pH levels of the stomach within minutes. Besides, pickles are good for treating acid reflux symptoms, especially for pregnant and breast-feeding women. Try to eat some pickles or drink the juice of pickle when you feel an attack coming. Your heartburn should disappear within 10-15 minutes.
Another one of the best home remedies for acid reflux that you should know must include cabbage. It reduces inflammation and kills off the harmful bacteria that causes heartburn as well as other digestive problems. Fermented cabbage and other fermented foods are also good remedies for acid reflux. You can mix raw cabbage, apple slices, banana, purified water and unflavored probiotic acid into a mixer. Quickly drink it.
36. Chew Gum
A study showed that people with gastroesophageal reflux disease or chronic heartburn, had relief when they chewed on a sugar-free gum for half an hour after their meal. This may be because chewing gum encourages the salivary glands and thus increasing the flow of saliva. And then when any acid has built up, it will be diluted and cleared out quickly. And the acid clearance can improve the symptoms of severe acid reflux and occasional heartburn.
- After mealtime, you chew on a piece of gum, preferably sugar-free one. Chew for half an hour to help treat heartburn.
37. Chin Up
Heartburn is more likely to get worse at night as they are lying down when sleeping. In fact, gravity works against you and therefore, the digested contents of the stomach and acid go back up into the esophagus more easily.
- You try raising your head 6 inches when having a night sleep by placing books, blocks or bricks at the head of the bed.
- Also, you can try placing a pillow under your mattress. However, do not pile up additional pillows because it will be easy to slip off at them.
- Do not lie down within 2-4 hours after you eat your meal, as lying down when you have a full stomach can make your symptoms get worse.
38. Eat Smaller Meals And Chew Longer
It is more difficult for the stomach to digest large meals. If the stomach is full, there may be more of a chance that acid can go back up the esophagus. So, slowly chew and chew more frequently before you swallow.
In fact, this is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux, so you should consider changing your eating habits by eating smaller meals and chewing foods longer.
39. Avoid Wear Tight Clothes
Wearing tight clothes around your waist can worsen your heartburn. This is because the tight jeans or belts put extra pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter, and then you will experience acid reflux. So, for treating acid reflux, loosen up.
In fact, this is one on the list of home remedies for acid reflux for women, so you should consider loosening up your clothes around your waist in order to reduce acid reflux symptoms.
40. Yellow Mustard
Mustard is known as an alkalizing food that contains many vitamins and minerals. It also contains an acid in the form of vinegar. Eating mustard directly may be helpful. Due to its alkaline properties, mustard will help neutralize the acid and the pain of acid reflux. It may be one of the most helpful treatments when a heartburn is creeping up.
- When acid reflux increases, consume 1 tsp. of high-quality yellow mustard to get an instant relief.
- In case it is too strong, you should follow it with a cup of water.
- In most cases, mustard may be effective, but it may also make the condition worse for some cases.
41. Know Which Foods To Avoid
This is the last but very important one when it comes to home remedies for acid reflux. You should not skip out this tip, but try to determine which foods causing your acid reflux symptoms and then try to keep away from them for good.
There are some certain foods that can increase the risk of acid reflux. So, you should be wary of these foods that can result in acid reflux symptoms and then try to avoid them to experience fewer symptoms:
- tomato sauce as well as other tomato-based products
- fast foods and greasy foods
- citrus fruit juices
- soda, alcohol, caffeine
- garlic, onions
- Some Additional Tips:
- Sleep on your left side.
- Practice yoga and deep breathing to tame your stress
- Make a comprehensive colon cleanse
- Avoid overeating
- Drink lots of water
- Exercise daily
Natural treatments have no unwanted side effects and most of them can be found in your kitchen, so you should not skip out any of them when it comes to treating gastroesophageal reflux disease at home. Also, remember that different remedies work better for different people, so if one home remedy does not work for you, try out another one. If home remedies alone do not work for your acid reflux, ask your doctor for help.
After following some of the home remedies for acid reflux as I mentioned in this article, you will be able to relieve your acid reflux symptoms and prevent it from coming back in the future. After reading this article, I hope that the readers of Healthy Guide will find it helpful. Actually, these home remedies have supported many people to cure the symptoms of acid reflux, so you should feel comfortable when following any of these remedies at home. If you know other home remedies for acid reflux, remember to share these remedies with other readers.