Bursitis is an inflammation of one or more fluid-filled sacs found in the joints – the bursas. It may influence the joints in a shoulder, knee, heel, elbow, hip, or the base of a big toe. The disease may be chronic or acute. Let’s discover some useful home remedies for bursitis pain relief at home with us on the site Healthy Guide!
- Top 26 Best Home Remedies For Leg Pain And Swelling Relief/ 38 Home Remedies For Gout In Foot, Shoulder, Wrist, Leg, Arm, & Knee
Bursitis is the irritation of a bursa. Bursa is the fluid-filled sac that can aid a lot in protecting the ligaments, muscles, tendons or skin that can rub against the bone and form the friction. There are about 160 bursas the entire body. However, the bursas which are present near the knees, heels, shoulders, elbows, and hips get inflamed more frequently than the other ones.
1. Symptoms Of Bursitis
Symptoms of bursitis include:
- Difficulty in daily activities, according to a research 
- Clicking sensation at the infected area
- Stiffness in the joints
- Swelling at the infected site
- Pain in the outer thighs
- The pain which can be sharp initially and then become a continuous pain
Bursitis is generally not harmful in nature. It can be easily treated with proper care of the inflamed or injured area. Home remedies for bursitis pain in knee, hip, elbow, and shoulder can help to cure the ailment, but if this issue is frequently recurring, you should surely consult your doctor.
2. Causes Of Bursitis In The Hip
Hip bursitis or trochanteric bursitis is the inflammation of bursa in the hip region. This occurs due to the vigorous activities that inflict pressure on the bones or the bursa. The common cause for hip bursitis are:
- Incorrect posture at work or home
- Exertion of the hip muscles and joints due to over-activity
- Bone spurs
- Injury to the hip
- Spinal issues
If you have one leg that is longer than the other, it increases the risk of developing trochanteric bursitis. Medical conditions such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and thyroid diseases can also cause hip bursitis, according to a study .
II. Quick Tips To Apply At Home
Here are some of the best home remedies for bursitis in knee, elbow, shoulder, and hip naturally at home that people can try right away:
- Vitamin C is a great nutrient for healing and preventing joint injuries. Take foods that are abundant in vitamin C; or after consulting your doctor, you can take a supplement.
- Do stretching and warm-up exercises before strenuous activities that can aid in protecting your joints from injury.
- Do strengthening exercises to maintain healthy muscles and joints.
- Strive to keep a healthy weight to avoid stress in the joints.
- Avoid standing or sitting for a prolonged period of time. Take regular breaks and walk around.
- You should not apply any kind of pressure on the infected joints.
- Cushion the infected joint with a small-size pillow while sleeping.
- To reduce inflammation and relieve pain, add anti-inflammatory food items into your daily diet.
- Try acupuncture therapy to aid in reducing inflammation and swelling.
- Rest the infected area for 3 – 5 days for fast recovery.
III. Home Remedies For Bursitis Relief
Everyone can have bursitis, but certain factor triggers may increase your chances of having the condition including aging and a job or hobby that needs pressure on special bursas or repetitive motion. Bursitis may be a sign to take it easy and rest your body to reduce swelling and pain. In most cases, it can disappear on its own within 7 days or 2 with proper rest.
In reality, rest is the first line of cure to help the inflamed or injured area heal. Some natural treatments also aid a lot in relieving pain, preventing recurrent flare-ups, and curing the disease. Nevertheless, you should opt for medical treatment if you experience excessive sharp pain, swelling, or a fever.
Here are the best home remedies for bursitis you can make use at home with the support of natural ingredients that are easy to find right in your kitchen to keep the condition at bay. Let’s check out how to use them to reduce signs and symptoms of bursitis naturally!
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first one among the best home remedies for bursitis pain you can make use is to use apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar is a great commonly used treatment for bursitis. It can aid a lot in restoring the alkalinity of your body, which in turn can help to reduce inflammation.
Moreover, minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium in apple cider vinegar cam aid in balancing the fluids. There are 2 ways you can try at home to make use of this ingredient to deal with signs and symptoms of bursitis:
- First, you just need to try mixing 1 tbsp. of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and some raw honey in 1 glass of water. Consume this tonic 2 times per day for a few days.
- Alternatively, try soaking a thin towel in raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and use it to wrap the infected area for several hours on a daily basis.
Ginger is a natural pain reliever that can aid a lot in reducing the discomforts and pain of bursitis, according to a research . It also has analgesic and anti-inflammatory qualities similar to ibuprofen or aspirin. Moreover, it can help to improve the blood circulation, which also helps to promote the healing process:
- First, try boiling 1 tbsp. of sliced ginger in 2 cups of water and allow it to simmer within about ten minutes. Strain, add raw honey for taste and consume the solution two to three times throughout the day.
- Wrap three to four tbsps. of freshly grated ginger in a piece of cheesecloth and tie it tightly. Place this in hot water within half a minute. Let it cool down, then put it on the infected joint within about ten minutes. Apply this method two or three times throughout the day.
- Another choice you can try is to use ginger oil to massage the infected area a few times throughout the day.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil is another very effective one among the best home remedies for bursitis in elbow, knee, hip, and shoulder you can find out there and try at home.
Castor oil can help to reduce swelling and pain in the joints, according to a study . The ricinoleic acid in castor oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that can aid in minimizing inflammation and relieving pain. It can even help a lot in improving mobility of the joints.
- Soak a piece of wool flannel into cold-pressed castor oil.
- Place it onto the infected joints and use a plastic wrap to cover it.
- Put a hot water bottle or a heating pad on it and use an old towel to cover that.
- Let it stay within about thirty to forty minutes, then remove it.
- Rub the oily residue left gently on the skin or use warm water to wash it off.
- Use this method three or four times for one week.
Massage is also a great one among home remedies for bursitis in shoulder, knee, hip, and elbow as it makes the pain go away and improve your joint health.
Massage can really aid in reducing the discomforts from a sore joint. It can help to improve the blood circulation and reduce stiffness and swelling. It can also help to relax your body.
You can do massage yourself or get it done by an expert.
- Heat up some coconut, olive, mustard, or sesame oil.
- Use the warm oil to apply directly on the infected area.
- Use the warm oil to massage gentle yet firm pressure within about ten minutes.
- Place a warm towel on the infected area.
- Apply this method 3 – 5 times per day till your disease improves.
Note: Do not use the massage method if infection is causing your bursitis.
5. Warm Compress
After 48 hours for acute bursitis or anytime for chronic bursitis, warm compresses are really useful for you. They can aid a lot in improving blood flow to the infected joint, reducing stiffness and fighting inflammation.
- Use warm (not scalding) water to dampen a thin towel.
- Apply it on the infected area within about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Repeat this method 3 – 5 times throughout the day.
You can also use a heating pad or a hot water bottle as a warm compress. You can even wash the infected area using warm water.
To discover more home remedies for bursitis in hip, shoulder, knee, and elbow, do not leave this article yet try to keep reading it to the end for good!
6. Cold Compress
When dealing with pain and swelling due to bursitis, cold compress is really a good remedy. The cold temperature can aid a lot in bringing down the first swelling and reducing pain by numbing the infected area. It can also help in reducing inflammation and tenderness.
Cold compresses are often most useful as used within 24 – 48 hours of developing bursitis.
- Wrap 3 – 5 ice cubes in a thin towel.
- Place the ice pack gently on the infected joints within fifteen minutes.
- After removing it, lift the the joints above your heart and rest.
- Repeat 3 – 5 times throughout the day till you get relief.
Note: Do not apply ice directly onto your skin because it can lead to frostbite
DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide), derived from wood pulp, can also aid a lot in curing the disease. Available in gel and liquid form, you can use it as a topical analgesic for fast, temporary relief of swelling and pain. It can help to penetrate easily and promote the healing process inflammation of pockets.
- Apply a 70% solution of DMSO on the infected joints using a cotton ball.
- Use it to rub gently to improve its effectiveness and absorption.
- Use this treatment two or three times throughout the day for a few days.
DMSO may feel warm to the touch as it is applied, but it brings about 3 – 5 side effects. If you do not see improvement after trying this home treatment, then stop applying it.
Keep reading the article for more useful natural home remedies for bursitis in hip, elbow, shoulder, and knee you can try at the comfort of your home.
8. Milk Of Magnesia
Milk of magnesia can fight pain and inflammation in the joints. Being abundant in magnesium, which is an anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory substance, it can relieve inflammation in the body. This, in fact, is among the best home remedies for bursitis pain relief that you can try at home with the help of magnesia milk:
- First, try taking a glass of water with 1 tsp. of milk of magnesia 2 times per day for a week.
- In addition, you can try including magnesium-rich foods into your daily diet, such as bananas, dark leafy greens, lentils, beans, and oats.
- Alternatively, after consulting your doctor, you can try taking a magnesium supplement.
9. White Willow Bark
Herbal professionals recommend using white willow bark to reduce the appearance of signs and symptoms caused by bursitis. A compound called salicin in this herbal remedy can work well like a natural painkiller. It can also help a lot in reducing swelling and inflammation.
- First, try taking a white willow bark supplement every day after consulting a prestigious doctor.
- Alternatively, try adding ½ tsp. of dried white willow bark to 1 cup of boiling water. Cover, let it stay within about fifteen minutes and strain it. Consume this tea two times throughout the day.
Note: This herbal remedy is not suitable for kids and people taking blood-thinning medications.
Turmeric is a great one among home remedies for bursitis in shoulder, knee, hip, and elbow as it makes the pain go away and improve your joint health.
The yellow pigment known as curcumin in turmeric is an extremely useful anti-inflammatory agent. Thus, turmeric is perfect for reducing pain, inflammation, and swelling. It can help a lot in curing both chronic and acute joint pain.
- First, after consulting your doctor, you can try taking a curcumin supplement every day.
- Boil 1 tsp. of turmeric powder within 1 glass of milk. Add some raw honey and consume it 2 times per day for at least 3 – 5 days.
Note: Avoid excessive consumption of turmeric as it may interfere with certain medications; for example, blood thinners.
11. Orange Juice
The last tip on the list of home remedies for bursitis in shoulder, elbow, knee, and hip naturally people should make use is to use orange juice.
Vitamin C is really a powerful nutrient. Its antioxidant properties make it a good addition to the diet, particularly as you are in the recovery process from an injury. Vitamin C  is essential for repairing and preventing injuries. Not getting sufficient amounts of vitamin C has been proven to hinder proper maintenance and formation of bursas. Men and women older than fifteen years of age need 60 milligrams at least per day. Consume just ¾ cup orange juice a day, and you will meet your daily quota.
After reading this interesting article, we hope that all of my readers can find some of the best solutions helpful to deal with the symptoms of bursitis. Actually, all of the home remedies for bursitis in elbow, hip, knee, and shoulder that we mentioned above are safe and effective in treating the symptoms of the infection without causing any unwanted side effects. Therefore, you can feel secure when applying any of these home remedies. Now, if you know other effective home treatments that can help to address this skin issue, you can share them with us by leaving your comments in the comment section below.