For women, an irregular period is a common problem. It is characterized as infrequent periods with intervals of over 35 days. Normally, a menstrual cycle often ranges from 21 to 35 days and menstrual bleeding often lasts for 2-7 days. Women have 11-13 periods per year, but women with irregular periods can have fewer than 6 periods.
List Of 38 Home Remedies For Irregular Periods And Fertility
Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the home remedies for irregular periods and fertility that you should consider applying at the comfort of your own home.
I. Causes Of Irregular Periods
Some factors can cause an irregular period, including:
- Eating disorders
- Hormonal imbalance
- Weight gain or loss
- Thyroid disorders
- Liver disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Recent birth or miscarriage
- Uterine abnormalities
- Increased exercise
- Smoking, caffeine, alcohol abuse
- Certain drugs and birth control pills
Read on 20 Facts – How Stress Affects The Body And Health to discover some of the effects of stress on human health.
II. Home Remedies For Irregular Periods:
If you have irregular periods, it is advised to see a doctor to find the exact causes of your irregular periods and seek proper treatment. At the same time, there are a few natural home remedies for irregular periods that help deal with the hormone imbalance
1. Sesame Seeds
This should be the first one among home remedies for irregular periods that we want to mention in this article. Sesame seeds are effective in regulating menstrual cycles because they can help in balancing the hormones. This is because they have essential fatty acids that boost hormone production.
- Dry roast some sesame seeds.
- Then, grind them with 1 tsp. of jaggery until you create a fine powder.
- Take 1 tsp. of this powder daily when you have an empty stomach in your luteal phase, or two weeks before your menstrual period.
- Consume it for a few months.
- Note: Avoid using this home remedy during your periods.
2. Cumin And Sesame Seeds
When it comes to learning home remedies for irregular periods, you should try using the mixture of cumin and sesame seeds. Mix equal amounts of sesame seeds and cumin seeds and then grind them to create a powder. After that, add some honey to this mixture before consuming 1 tbsp. of this mixture daily.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps reduce the blood sugar levels and regulate the menstrual periods effectively. Mix 1-2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar with some water and then drink this solution once per day before meals to prevent irregular periods.
List of 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss will show you some of the best ways to treat dandruff and itchy scalp using apple cider vinegar, so check it out!
4. Home Remedies For Irregular Periods- Vitamin C
Vitamin C can stimulate the production of estrogen that is shed during your period. You should take high amount of vitamin C if you have irregular periods. You can include apples, oranges, berries, tomatoes, etc. in your diet plan. However, the large dose of vitamin C is not recommended for pregnant women because it can lead to miscarriage.
5. Coriander Seeds
If you do not know quick home remedies for irregular periods, you should try making use of coriander seeds. According to a study , coriander seeds help regulate menstruation thanks to its emmenagogue properties. To use coriander seeds for treating irregular periods, you just need to take the following steps:
- Boil 1 tsp. of coriander seeds in about 2 cups of water until the amount of water reduces to about one cup.
- Then, strain these seeds from the liquid.
- Consume this liquid 3 times daily for several days prior to your period.
- Repeat this remedy for a few months.
The combination of dried mint powder and raw honey is a great home remedy for irregular periods. Besides, it also helps reduce menstrual cramps. The only thing you need to do is to consume the paste made from 1 tsp. of dried mint powder combined with 1 tsp. of raw honey. Consume it 3 times per day for a few weeks.
Turmeric is also effective in regulating menstrual periods and balancing hormones thank to its emmenagogue properties. Addition to this, its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties can also help in reducing menstrual pain.
- Mix ¼ tsp. of turmeric with honey and milk.
- Consume it daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, take turmeric in supplement form after consulting your doctor for right dosage.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can help in treating irregular periods effectively by balancing your hormones. Research found that aloe vera gel may stimulate the ovaries in order to develop mature eggs.
- Extract some fresh aloe vera gel and then mix it with 1 tsp. of honey
- Consume it daily before you enjoy your breakfast.
- Repeat this home remedy for 3 months.
- Note: Avoid using this home remedy during your periods.
To know some of the best ways to use aloe vera for acne scars, blemishes and redness, read on 29 Uses Of Aloe Vera For Acne Scars, Redness, Blemishes & Pores
According to a research , cinnamon is effective in reducing menstrual cramps and regulating menstrual cycles because it has a warming effect on the women’s body. Addition to this, cinnamon contains hydroxychalcone, which helps control insulin levels, hence having a positive effect on menstrual regularity. Simply, you just need to add ½ tsp. of powdered cinnamon to a glass of milk. Then, drink this solution daily for a few weeks. Alternatively, you can enjoy cinnamon tea, chew cinnamon sticks or sprinkle some cinnamon on your cooking.
10. Home Remedies For Irregular Periods- Ginger
This is another one among quick home remedies for irregular periods, you should try using ginger. Ginger is effective in reducing menstrual pain and regulating menstrual cycles. Besides, it also helps promote menstruation and treat delayed periods.
- Boil ½ tsp. of ground ginger in one cup of water for about 5-7 minutes.
- Then, add some sugar to the tea
- Consume this tea 3 times daily after meals.
- Repeat this remedy for one month or more.
11. Unripe Papaya
Unripe papaya contains emmenagogue properties, making it a great solution for regulating menstrual flow because it helps in contracting muscle fibers in the uterus. Especially, it is effective in treating irregular periods associated with stress and menopause. You just need to consume some unripe papaya juice for several months. However, you should not drink this unripe papaya juice during your periods.
12. Carrot Juice
Carrot juice is rich in iron, making it a simple remedy for irregular periods. Besides, raw carrots also help improve hormone functioning. You just need to drink some carrot juice regularly for about three months.
There are other home remedies for irregular periods in this article. So, you should keep reading this interesting article and then consider applying any of these natural remedies for good.
13. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are effective in treating irregular periods thanks to their emmenagogue properties. They also promote menstruation and reduce cramping due to their antispasmodic properties. Plus, fennel seeds help in rebalancing female sex hormones. Now, if you want to know how to use fennel seeds for treating irregular menstrual periods, follow the instructions below:
- Soak 2 tbsp. of fennel seeds in one cup of water
- Leave it on overnight and the next morning, strain the solution before drinking it.
- Repeat this home remedy daily for about one month.
14. Grapeseed Extract
Grapeseed extract can help in slowing blood clotting and reducing premenstrual symptoms, including swelling and pain. You just need to take some grape juice on a daily basis for preventing irregularity in periods. Alternatively, include raw grapes in your daily diet in moderation. However, excess intake of grapes can lead to loose motions.
Figs contain many essential nutrients that are required for your ovaries to function properly. Especially, figs are rich in magnesium and calcium, both of which support regular menstruation. Actually, consuming figs can help regularize the menstrual period. Simply, you just need to boil 5 figs in a cup of water. Then, strain this liquid and drink it on a daily basis.
16. Bitter Gourd
This is another one among quick home remedies for irregular periods that you should give it a try! According to a study about irregular periods home remedies , bitter gourd has been found to treat irregular periods naturally and effectively. Also, drinking bitter gourd juice helps protect the body from diabetes. You just need to drink the juice of bitter gourd once or twice per day for several weeks.
17. Home Remedies For Irregular Periods- Saffron
Saffron is also known as a great remedy for regulating periods because it can balance out the body’s hormones.
- Add 1 tsp. of saffron to 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil and then simmer until its amount reduces to about 1 tbsp.
- Then, divide this infusion into 3 portions and mix it with equal amounts of water
- Repeat this remedy 3 times daily for a few days.
18. Motherwort Tea
Alkaloids found in motherwort can help in treating irregular periods in women. You just need to make herbal decoction from some motherwort tea leaves or take its tincture to reap all of its health benefits.
19. Chaste Tree
This herb can be used to regulate your menstrual cycle. The powerful properties found in chaste tree help regularize the function of the pituitary gland and then balance the hormonal discharge from your ovaries. You should consume this herb regularly to normalize the menstrual cycle’s timing. A recommended dose of this herb is 30-40 mg.
20. Banyan Tree Roots
This is worth mentioning in this list of home remedies for irregular periods that you should consider making use. The banyan tree roots are effective in treating irregular periods and female infertility.
- Add some fresh banyan tree roots to a cup of water
- Bring it to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Then, add 3 tbsp. of milk to this solution.
- Drink it daily before your bedtime in order to regulate your menstruation.
21. Black Cohosh Tea
An imbalance of phytoestrogens is one of the common causes of irregular periods. The hormone called phytoestrogens found in the black cohosh tea can help normalize the function of hormones in your body, hence dealing with menstruation issues. Simply, you just need to use its tincture or extract to regularize your menstrual periods.
22. Raspberry Leaf Tea
Menstruation is driven by a balance between estrogen and progesterone. Raspberry leaf helps cleanse excess hormones from the body, hence reducing the hormonal imbalance and helping with regular menstruation. The raspberry leaf tea contains tannins, which help deal with the PMS symptoms, and reduce cramps and nausea. Besides, the tea also aids to tighten the muscles in the pelvic region.
23. Neem Tea
If you are lactating or pregnant, you should avoid drinking neem tea because it is known as a natural contraceptive. Nonetheless, neem tea can help regulate your menstrual period because it contains phytoestrogens that aid to balance your hormones.
- Soak 3 cups of Indian lilac bark in about two cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Then, strain the tea and drink one cup of neem tea 3 times per day
- Follow this remedy until your problem is improved.
- Note: If you are pregnant or taking fertility drug, you should not consume this tea.
24. Yarrow Tea
This tea can be used to treat irregular periods and menstrual pain thanks to its analgesic properties. Besides, it is also known as a hemostatic that helps women with very heavy periods, reduce the bleeding. Simply, brew the infusion, use its tincture or drink its juice to treat irregular periods.
In regard to learning quick home remedies for irregular periods, bamboo is one of the best solutions for you. Bamboo contains therapeutic properties that help regularize your menstruation flow. Boil some bamboo leaves in a cup of water. Then, strain the decoction and drink it regularly until your problem is improved.
26. Saraca Asoca Bark
The Ashoka herb helps to stimulate urine flow and cures conditions causing painful urination. This herb benefits the uterine and endometrium muscles, making it a natural uterine tonic for irregular periods and miscarriage.
- Add 2 tbsp. of bark extract and a cup of milk to a glass of water.
- Then, simmer this mixture until its amount reduces to half.
- Consume this mixture on the 3rd and 4th day of your menstrual period, 3- 4 times per day.
27. Home Remedies For Irregular Periods- Blue Cohosh
Blue cohosh works to stimulate the menstrual flow. The consumption of this herb can lead to proper circulation. You just need to take its extract or tincture prior to your menstrual period. Consult your doctor to know your proper dosage.
28. Lady’s Mantle
Another great way among home remedies for irregular periods and fertility that you should not look down, yet to consider using for good. This herb is rich in tannins, which help prevent irregular periods. Addition to this, it contains salicylic acid that helps reduce menstrual cramps and soothe your muscles.
29. Shepherd’s Purse
Shepherd’s purse is a powerful astringent, making it a great remedy for irregular periods. Besides, this herb helps tighten the uterine muscles, which prevents excess bleeding and treats irregular periods. Use its tincture or extract to reap its health benefits.
30. Hibiscus Flower
Hibiscus flower aids to balance the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body, hence regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Crush 5 fresh hibiscus flowers to create a smooth paste.
- Consume this paste with some water before having your breakfast.
- Repeat this remedy a week before your menstrual cycle starts.
31. Holy Basil Leaf
This is another one among home remedies for irregular periods that you should try out, especially if you want to treat irregular periods with natural ingredients.
- Crush a handful of fresh basil leaves to take out its juice.
- Then, mix 1 tsp. each of basil juice and raw honey
- Sprinkle some pepper powder on this mixture
- Consume it twice per day to treat the irregular periods.
32. Chamomile Tea
According to a study about chamomile tea for circulation , chamomile tea is rich in flavonoids and quercetin, both of which help balance blood circulation. Besides, the analgesic properties found in chamomile tea reduce premenstrual pain. Simply, steep 2g of dried calendula flowers in about 200ml of hot water. Then, strain and drink this tea twice a day.
33. Mint Tea
Peppermint tea can help deal with the pain associated with spasms of the uterine muscles. A mixture of 1 tsp. each of dried mint powder and raw honey is a great solution for irregular periods. Consume this mixture 3 times per day for a few weeks.
If you want to know other home remedies for irregular periods and fertility to apply at home, you should keep reading this article right now and then apply any of these remedies for good.
34. Sugarcane Juice
The natural sugars found in sugarcane juice can help rebalance your hormonal system. Drink it for about 7 days prior to your expected menstrual periods in order to regularize your menstrual periods.
Asafoetida is known as another great remedy for irregular periods thanks to its chemical properties that help deal with a hormonal disorder. Simply, fry some powdered asafoetida in the clarified butter. Then, add this mixture and some honey to a cup of milk. The recommended dosage of asafoetida is about 200-500 mg per day.
36. Fennel Tea
Fennel tea contains a compound called emmenagogue, which helps increase menstrual flow, hence making it a great home remedy for irregulate periods. Besides, this tea contains antispasmodic properties, which help reduce the cramping related to premenstrual syndrome.
- Soak 2 tbsp. of fennel seeds in a cup of water overnight.
- Strain it the next morning and then drink it.
- Repeat this remedy daily for about one month.
- Grind 1 tsp. of fennel seeds to create a fine powder.
- Then, mix this powder in a cup of hot water
- Steep it for about 5 minutes, strain and then drink it.
37. Home Remedies For Irregular Periods- Parsley
Parsley juice is known as a great home remedy for menstruation-related problems. This is because it can help balance hormonal system and prevent the PMS symptoms. Simply, crush parsley and then grind them with some water to have its juice.
38. Buttermilk And Radish Seeds
This is the last but very important way among home remedies for irregular periods that we want to mention in this article and want all of my female readers who are suffering from irregular periods to apply for good.
- Grind some radish seeds and then add 2 tsp. of radish seed powder to a cup of buttermilk.
- Stir it well and then drink it daily
- Follow this remedy for at least about 3 months or until you notice an improvement.
These remedies as we mentioned above can regularize the menstrual periods. Besides, you should maintain a healthy lifestyle as well. If you constantly have irregular periods, consult your doctor for proper treatment. Other effective tips for treating irregular periods include:
- Exercise regularly.
- Take multivitamins 
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Practice relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga
- Avoid over-exercising
- Avoid using birth control pills
- Avoid drugs and smoking.
- Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages.
After reading this interesting article, we hope that you can find the best solutions for your irregular periods. Also, if you know other natural home remedies for irregular periods, share them with other readers by leaving your comments in the comments box below. For further effective tips for health and beauty, visit our How To Category.