Women of all ages can suffer from vaginal itching at least one in their lives. To treat vaginal itching, women need to maintain good personal hygiene and simultaneously follow a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. Besides, women who are suffering from vaginal itching and burning can try a few simple home remedies to temporarily relieve these symptoms.
- 23 Best Tips How To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis Naturally At Home/ 21 Tips How To Prevent Yeast Infections On Skin From Swimming
List Of Natural Ways On How To Treat Vaginal Itching At Home:
Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the home remedies for vaginal itching that you can make at the comfort of your own home. Actually, all of these remedies are safe to use, so you should not worry when applying any of these remedies at home.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Vaginal Itching
There are a few causes of vaginal itching and irritation, including:
- Vaginal thrush
- Lack of personal hygiene after sex
- Deficiency of estrogen
- Contact allergy reactions like deodorants, soaps, perfumes and sanitary towels
- Consumption of irritating foods and drinks
- Constant rubbing from tight underwear
This health condition is characterized by itching or soreness of the vagina. There may be a whitish vaginal discharge and a burning sensation. Besides, people with vaginal itching can experience dry vaginal skin area, vaginal pain, vaginal swelling, vaginal redness, vaginal bleeding and other discomforts, especially at night.
Read on 19 Tips How To Tighten Vagina Naturally And Keep It Tight At Home to discover some of the best tips that can help you tighten vaginal area naturally at home.
II. How To Treat Vaginal Itching- Top 24 Home Remedies
When your vaginal itching becomes stubborn, you can look for natural ways on how to treat vaginal itching fast. All of these remedies can help improve your sexual health.
Using raw honey is another effective home remedy for vaginal itching. This is because raw honey contains antifungal and antibacterial properties, which help deal with any microbial infection causing itching in your vaginal area.
- Apply raw honey on your affected area.
- Leave it on for half an hour before taking warm bathwater.
- Repeat this process twice a day.
- Alternatively, consume 1-2 tbsp. of honey with a cup of warm water twice per day.
List of 31 Best Natural Ways To Use Honey To Improve Skin, Hair, And Nails will show you some of the simple ways to use honey for skincare and haircare, so check it out!
2. Drink Plenty Of Water
This is the second way on how to treat vaginal itching at home that we want to mention in this article and then try to drink more water for good. You can remove the yeast from your body by drinking plenty of water. Just make sure that you do not drink over 1000ml of liquid within one hour.
To know some of the best homemade drinks recipes for weight loss that you can make with ease, read on List Of 29 Best Easy Homemade Drinks Recipes To Lose Weight
3. Salt Water Bath
Having a salt-water bath can help relieve vaginal itching, making it one of the most effective ways on how to treat vaginal itching fast. This is because salt will control the development of the microbes that cause the infection, hence reducing vaginal itching and other discomforts. Now, you can try either of the following recipes:
- Add 1 tbsp. of salt to a cup of water
- Then, use this solution to wash your vagina.
- Repeat this process whenever your vagina is itchy.
- Add ½ cup of salt to your warm bathwater.
- Sit in the bathwater in a squatting position for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times daily for several days.
Note: If you have any open sores or skin tears, you should not use any of these remedies.
4. Coconut Oil
According to a research about coconut oil for yeast infection , coconut oil contains antiviral and antibacterial properties, so it can be used to relieve vaginal burning and itching. Besides, coconut oil has high content of fatty acids, hence relieving vaginal itching caused by candida or bacterial vaginosis.
- Apply some coconut oil onto your vaginal area
- Wait until it completely dries out.
- Mix 3 drops of coconut oil in 6 cups of water
- Then, use this solution to wash off your affected vagina area.
- Allow it to dry out.
- Soak a tampon in some coconut oil before inserting it into your vagina.
- Leave it on for 8 hours or overnight.
- Then, wash it off with lukewarm water before patting it dry.
If you want to know some of the simple ways to treat burns and cuts on face and body with the help of coconut oil, read on Top 7 Simple Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Burns And Cuts On Face And Hands
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
If you are looking for natural ways on how to treat vaginal itching, you should not skip apple cider vinegar. Studies found that apple cider vinegar is a great home remedy for vaginal itching thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. This ingredient also helps balance the pH levels of your vagina. To use apple cider vinegar as a vaginal itching treatment, you can consider applying either of the following methods:
- Add 2 tbsp. of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup of lukewarm water.
- Then, wash your vagina with this solution twice per day for a few days.
- Add 1 tsp. of honey and 1 tbsp. of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water
- Then, drink this solution twice per day.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains antibacterial properties, giving an instant relief from vaginal burning and itching. Besides, it also contains antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great solution for vaginal itching caused due to bacterial infections or candida.
- Mix 4-5 drops of tea tree oil in about 1-2 tbsp. of aloe vera gel.
- Then, apply the mixture on your affected skin area.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes
- After that, wash your vagina with warm water and then pat it dry.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis.
7. Neem Leaves And Neem Oil
Using neem leaves is a great remedy for vaginal itching caused by a yeast infection. This is because neem leaves contain antiseptic properties, which help deal with the infection and simultaneously reduce itching, burning as well as other discomforts.
- Boil some neem leaves in about 2- 3 cups of water.
- Strain this liquid and let it cool down.
- Then, wash your vagina with this solution once daily for several weeks.
- Add some neem oil to a bowl of warm water
- Then, rinse your vagina with this solution.
- Repeat this process twice daily for several weeks.
- Drink neem tea or take neem capsules daily after consulting your doctor.
8. Cold Compress
If you want to relieve your vaginal itching, you can consider using a cold compress. This method can help numb this affected area and simultaneously reduce the inflammation and itching. If you want to treat vaginal itching by applying cold compress, you can take the following steps:
- Wrap some ice cubes in a clean washcloth.
- Then, place this ice pack on this affected area for several minutes
- Take a break for half a minute and reapply it.
- Reapply this process until the vaginal itching stops.
- Alternatively, wash your affected area with cold water several times a day.
Do you want to know other effective ways on how to treat vaginal itching overnight? Keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply any of the following natural remedies for good.
9. Oregano Oil
The antibacterial effect of oregano oil can help treat many bacterial infections, including vaginal itching. Actually, using oregano oil is known as one of the best ways on how to treat vaginal itching at home that you should try out! Now, you just need to take the following steps if you want to get rid of the burning and itching around the vaginal area.
- Mix 2-3 drops of oregano oil in about 1 tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Then, apply this oil mixture to your vaginal area.
- Leave it on for 2 hours before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Reapply this process until all of the itchiness has gone.
According to a research about vaginal infections , plain yogurt with active cultures can help you get rid of itching and burning in your vagina. These active cultures can help prevent the infection from spreading in the body. Also, yogurt helps kill off bad bacteria and yeast in your vagina and simultaneously stimulate the good bacteria growth.
- Soak a tampon in yogurt and then insert it in your vagina
- Leave it on for about two hours.
- Repeat this process twice per day until you get relief.
- Alternatively, consume a few containers of plain yogurt on a daily basis.
11. Cranberry Juice
Consuming unsweetened cranberry juice is also effective in treating vaginal itching and irritation. This method can help create an acidic environment, hence inhibiting the growth of bacteria and yeast. Besides, it also helps prevent urinary tract infections as well as other bladder infections. You just need to drink 2 cups of unsweetened cranberry juice per day until your vaginal itching relieves. Alternatively, you can take cranberry tablets twice per day after consulting your doctor.
12. Basil Leaves
This is another great way on how to treat vaginal itching that you should consider making use at home, especially if you want to get rid of this condition using natural ingredients. Basil leaves contain antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, making them an effective home remedy for vaginal itching caused by bacteria.
- Add some basil leaves to a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for about 15-20 minutes.
- When it cools down, drink this water twice per day.
- Repeat this process regularly until your vaginal itching is improved.
13. Rosemary Leaves
Rosemary leaves are good for the vagina health because they can help relieve the vaginal itching and irritation thanks to their antibacterial properties. The rosemary water will help prevent the bacteria from growing around your vagina, keeps this sensitive area cool, clean, dry and moisturized.
- Steep some rosemary leaves in some boiling water
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes before straining the water
- When it cools down and then use it to wash off your affected vaginal area
- Repeat this remedy a few times a week.
If you do not know how to treat vaginal itching naturally, you should try making use of garlic at home. Garlic contains antibiotic and antibacterial properties, making it a great solution for killing off bacteria and yeast. Also, it helps improve the immunity and sexual health and also fight infections.
- Dilute some garlic oil with 1 tsp. of vitamin E oil
- Then, apply this oil mixture on your affected area.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes before washing with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice per day for several weeks.
- Alternatively, chew 3 raw garlic cloves or take garlic supplements daily after consulting your doctor.
Kefir is rich in probiotics, making it a great solution for vaginal itching and its symptoms. The presence of probiotic bacteria found in kefir helps kill off the bad bacteria and yeast causing vaginal itching. It also improves the immune system, hence preventing the infections.
- Soak a tampon in some kefir and then insert it in your vagina
- Leave it on for about two hours.
- Repeat this remedy twice per day until you get a relief from vaginal itching.
- Alternatively, drink 1- 2 cups of kefir per day for several weeks.
16. Hydrogen Peroxide
According to a study about powerful ways to cure yeast infections , hydrogen peroxide can be used to kill yeast and bacteria in your vagina. Now, if you want to get rid of the burning and itching around your vaginal area, you just need to take the following steps:
- Mix 3% hydrogen peroxide and water in a ratio 1:1.
- Then, soak a clean tampon in this mixture before inserting it into your vagina for half an hour.
- Repeat this process daily for about 14 days.
17. Patchouli Essential Oil
This is worth mentioning in the list of effective ways on how to treat vaginal itching overnight that you should not look down. This essential oil contains antiseptic and antifungal properties that help inhibit the “bad” bacteria growth. Simply, apply some patchouli essential oil onto your affected vaginal area regularly in order to see positive results soon.
18. Chamomile Flowers
In regard to learning how to treat vaginal itching at home, you should not look down chamomile flowers, but consider making use of them for good. Chamomile flowers have a soothing effect, hence relieving itching and inflammation in your vagina.
- Add 2 tbsp. of chamomile flowers to a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for about 15 minutes before straining this water.
- When the chamomile water cools down, pour it into your vaginal douche syringe.
- Then, wash off your vaginal area with this douche syringe.
Fenugreek has been proven to battle with yeast infection causing your vaginal itching. It can help rebalance the pH level of the vaginal area, and simultaneously improve the immune system. Now, if you want to make use of fenugreek in order to treat your vaginal itching, you can try any of the following ways:
- Add 2 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds to a bowl of water and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, consume this water before eating breakfast.
- Steep 1 tsp. of fenugreek seeds in a cup of hot water
- Leave it on for 5 minutes before straining the water and then add a little honey
- Drink this water twice per day.
- Mix equal amounts of fenugreek powder and plain yogurt.
- Consume this mixture twice per day
- Repeat this process 2- 3 times daily.
20. Boric Acid
This is another great way on how to treat vaginal itching naturally that you should give it a try! Boric acid can also help relieve your vaginal itching and irritation due to its antifungal and antiseptic properties.
- Firstly, dilute boric acid with some water.
- Apply this solution over your affected vaginal area.
- Let it sit on for 1-2 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat this home remedy once per day for several weeks.
21. Wear Loose Clothing
Wearing loose clothes is also a great way on how to treat vaginal itching fast by keeping your vaginal area cool and dry. Wearing 100% cotton underwear can help this sensitive skin area breathe more easily. Also, if you spend most of your daytime sitting, occasionally stand up and walk around to prevent the vagina from getting warm.
There are other effective ways on how to treat vaginal itching overnight in this article. So, you should consider applying any of these home remedies for good.
22. Sleep Without Wearing Underwear
Your vagina should be exposed to clean air, hence reducing the risk of having sweat in this sensitive skin area. You need to wear loose-fitting clothes and avoid wearing some fabrics such as lace, tights, thongs or anything else that can lead to itchy vagina in the day time. In fact, you should sleep without wearing underwear because this is one of the best ways on how to treat vaginal itching fast.
23. Have A Proper Hygiene
When it comes to learning how to treat vaginal itching naturally, you should try to follow a proper personal hygiene. Having a proper hygiene is necessary for keeping the vagina healthy. Nonetheless, regular vaginal wash or excess hygiene can lead to a higher risk of vaginal itching.
- After taking a shower or using the bathroom, wipe from front to back.
- Do not need to scrub the vaginal area too hard
- Do not use strong body washes or soaps for the vaginal area. If required, just opt for products without additional fragrances.
- Take daily showers or baths and replace the underwear on a daily basis.
24. Avoid Sugar
This is the last yet very important way on how to treat vaginal itching at home that we want to mention in this article and then avoid consuming sugar when you are suffering from vaginal itching. According to a study , if your vaginal itching is caused due to yeast infection, you should reduce the intake of sugar in your daily diet. Actually, this is a great step that can help lower the levels of yeast infection. You also need to avoid consuming fruit sugar and follow an anti-candida diet for a few months if you have severe vaginal itching.
Additional tips that you should be careful when it comes to treating vaginal itching:
- After swimming or exercising, you should take a shower right away
- Avoid having sex until the vaginal itching has stopped.
- Consume vitamin C-rich foods to improve the immune system, hence reducing infections in the body.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking
- Avoid scratching as it can irritate your vagina  and worsen your itching
After reading this interesting article, we hope that you can find some of the home remedies for vaginal itching above helpful. Actually, all of these natural treatments use natural ingredients and they will not cause any unwanted side effects, so you do not need to worry when applying any of these remedies at home. One more thing, if you know other great ways on how to treat vaginal itching naturally, feel free to share them with other readers by leaving your comments in the comment box below.