Sciatica is pain caused due to compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve. Sciatica is often caused by the slipped disc, the spinal injury, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, pregnancy, piriformis syndrome and isthmic spondylolisthesis. Although there are a variety of treatments for sciatica to relieve the sciatic pain temporarily, they can lead to some serious side effects. You can use some following home remedies for sciatica pain to reduce pressure and inflammation on your irritated sciatic nerve.
List Of The Best Home Remedies For Sciatica During Pregnancy:
Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best ways to provide you with a relief from the symptoms of sciatica. If you are suffering from sciatic pain and want to treat all symptoms of this health problem with natural remedies, you should spend time reading this interesting article and then try to apply any of the following remedies as soon as possible.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Sciatic Pain
Sciatic nerve pain is often caused by lumbar disc herniation that presses down upon it. Nonetheless, some factors that can cause inflammation, pain and irritation of the sciatica include:
- Adjacent bone
- Infections in and around the lumbar spine
- Internal bleeding
- Abnormality of the intervertebral disc
Read on List Of 30 Healthy Food For Pregnant Women During Pregnancy to discover some of the best healthy foods that pregnant women should consume more during pregnancy.
The signs and symptoms of the sciatic nerve pain include:
- Pain and burning sensation in the lower back
- Lumbar pain
- Numbness and pain around the buttocks
- Leg pain
- Difficulty in walking
II. Home Remedies For Sciatica
If you are suffering from sciatic nerve pain, there are some easy yet useful home remedies for sciatica during pregnancy that can give relief from the sciatica symptoms and also boost up recovery.
1. Aloe Vera
This should be the first one among the best ayurvedic home remedies for sciatica during pregnancy that we want to mention in this article. The soothing and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera can help speed up the healing process from sciatic nerve pain. Simply, you just need to consume 1/4 cup of fresh aloe vera juice. Alternatively, apply some aloe vera gel on your affected area. Repeat either of these remedies once daily.
List of 29 Uses Of Aloe Vera For Acne Scars, Redness, Blemishes & Pores will show you some of the simplest ways to use aloe vera for skin redness, blemishes and acne scars, so check it out!
2. Home Remedies For Sciatica During Pregnancy – Turmeric
Turmeric is another great way among home remedies for sciatica during pregnancy due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Besides, turmeric contains a powerful compound called curcumin, which helps reduce inflammation and nerve pain.
- Add 1 tsp. of turmeric to a cup of milk.
- Then, add a small cinnamon stick to the solution and then bring it to a boil.
- Add honey to this healthy drink and drink it
- Follow this remedy once or twice per day until you notice the improvement.
- Take 250- 500mg of turmeric supplements about 3 times per day for a few weeks before consulting your doctor first.
- Note: Turmeric is not suitable for those who with gallstones or are taking diabetes medications or blood thinners.
To know some of the best smoothie recipes for diabetes, read on 26 Best Healthy Smoothies For Diabetes Treatment And Relief
3. Drink Plenty Of Water
If you are looking for home remedies for sciatica in leg, you should try to drink plenty of water. You should drink 1- 2 liters of water on a daily basis if you want to keep your body hydrated and balanced. Drink plenty of water to reduce constipation and other health problems that may contribute to sciatica.
If you want to know some of the best homemade drinks recipes for weight loss, read on List Of 29 Best Easy Homemade Drinks Recipes To Lose Weight
4. Fenugreek Seeds
When it comes to learning the best home remedies for sciatica, you should consider making use of these seeds. Fenugreek seeds can be used to reduce sciatica pain due to its anti-inflammatory effects. Also, according to a study about benefits of fenugreek , these seeds can help reduce gout and rheumatoid arthritis pains.
- Grind some fenugreek seeds and then boil it with milk to create a mushy paste
- Apply this paste on your aching areas.
- Let it sit on for several hours before washing it off.
- Repeat this remedy daily for the best results.
5. Capsaicin Cream
Cayenne pepper has an active compound called capsaicin, which acts as a natural pain reliever. Actually, it helps to deplete the levels of substance P, which helps transport pain signals. The only thing you need to do is to apply an ointment or cream containing 0.025- 0.075% capsaicin on your affected area. Repeat this process up to 4 times per day for more than a week. Just remember that this remedy can cause a burning sensation, so you do not apply this cream or ointment on broken skin.
6. Hot Or Cold Compresses
This home remedy can help reduce sciatica pain and inflammation naturally and effectively. Heat treatment helps relax tense muscles while cold treatment helps reduce swelling and numb the sciatica pain. Alternate cold and heat, starting with hot compress and then with cold compress. Simply, place a cold or hot pack on your affected area for about 15-20 minutes. Repeat this home remedy every few hours until you relieve your sciatica pain. Just remember that you should not use cold compress in case you have circulatory problems.
7. Valerian Root
Valerian root has been found to reduce chronic nerve pain and sciatica pain caused due to the muscle spasm. Actually, this herb can help relax the muscles and simultaneously reduce tension. To know how to use valerian root for treating sciatica at home, you just need to take the following steps:
- Add 1 tsp. of dried valerian root to a cup of boiling water
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then drink this herbal tea
- Repeat this remedy a few times per week for several weeks.
- Take 150mg of valerian root supplement about 3 times per day for several weeks after consulting your doctor.
8. White Willow Bark
White willow bark can be used to reduce pain caused by sciatica. It has phenolic glycosides with salicin, offering analgesic and anti-inflammatory benefits. Simply, take white willow bark supplements daily for a few weeks after consulting your doctor.
Do you want to know other ayurvedic home remedies for sciatica that you can apply with ease at home? Keep reading this article and then try to apply any of these natural remedies for good.
9. Home Remedies For Sciatica During Pregnancy – Massage
According to a research , massage therapy can be effective in reducing sciatica pain and boosting the healing process, especially if the sciatica is caused due to a muscle spasm. Addition to this, it can help reduce tension, and enhance circulation. You can try any of the following methods:
- Massage your affected area with some St. John’s wort oil. Follow this remedy 2- 3 times per day for the best results. This oil contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce sciatica pain as well as inflammation.
- Add 3 tbsp. of nutmeg powder to about a cup of sesame oil and then heat it up. Let it cool down and then massage your affected area with this warm oil mixture. Repeat this home remedy a few times per day for several weeks.
Acupuncture is another one in list of the best home remedies for sciatica that you should consider making use for good. By stimulating some acupuncture points, your central nervous system will be stimulated, hence releasing chemicals to reduce the sciatic pain. The acupuncture with heated needles can help reduce sciatica pain. Just remember that acupuncture therapy should be performed by an experienced acupuncturist.
11. Ginger Tea
If you do not know home remedies for sciatica in leg, you can consider drinking ginger tea. While ginger oil can give you a relief from sciatica, ginger tea can also help reduce sciatic nerve pain and inflammation because ginger contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add a small piece of ginger to a cup of boiling water
- Steep it for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Strain this tea and allow it to cool down a bit
- Then, add a small amount of honey to ginger tea.
- Drink it at least 3 times daily.
12. Ginger Oil
Ginger oil offers many health benefits, including its ability to reduce sciatic nerve pain. Therefore, if you are looking for ayurvedic home remedies for sciatica, you should try using ginger oil.
- Mix 4-5 drops of ginger oil with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Then, apply this oil mixture to your affected area.
- Repeat this home remedy at least twice per day.
13. Garlic Milk
Garlic is known as a powerful therapeutic herb and it offers many health benefits. The anti-inflammatory properties found in garlic can help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with sciatica.
- Add 10 crushed garlic cloves, 1 cup of water and 2 cups of milk to a pan.
- Then, bring it to a boil and simmer it for about 5 minutes.
- Strain it and then let it cool a bit before adding some honey.
- Consume a cup of this garlic milk twice per day.
14. Home Remedies For Sciatica During Pregnancy – Elderberries Juice
This is another one among home remedies for sciatica in pregnancy that you should try giving it a try. Elderberry can be effective in relieving the symptoms of sciatica thanks to its inflammation and pain-relieving properties.
- Add 1 tsp. of elderberry to a cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink the warm elderberry tea
- Also, add some honey for flavor.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times per day.
15. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil works as a natural pain reliever thanks to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which are effective in relieving the inflammation and pain associated with sciatica and simultaneously stimulating your recovery.
- Mix 4-5 drops of peppermint oil with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Then, apply this oil mixture to your affected area.
- Repeat this home remedy 1-2 times per day.
16. Celery Juice
According to a study , celery juice is also effective in treating sciatic nerve pain effectively. Actually, it helps relieve the inflammation and pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take some fresh celery and then cut it into some small pieces.
- Then, add 1-1 ½ cups of water to the celery pieces and blend.
- Add some honey to this blend and then drink the celery juice
- Follow this remedy twice a day.
Actually, drinking celery juice is known as one of the best home remedies for sciatica pain that you should not look down, yet try to use for good.
17. Vitamins And Minerals
The intake of certain essential vitamins and minerals may help in boosting the treatment of sciatica. Actually, vitamins C, B12 and D can help in relieving the inflammation and pain. It is recommended to take about 2000mg of calcium and 1000mg of magnesium daily to reduce the pressure on the nerves. If you would like to take additional supplements, you should consult a healthcare provider first. Alternatively, you can include citrus fruits, green veggies, milk, cheese, beans, and nuts in your diet plan.
This is worth mentioning in the list of best home remedies for sciatica that has been recommended by many patients. Horseradish contains healing and anti-inflammatory properties, which help in curing sciatic pain and other symptoms.
- Grind 1/2 horseradish to create a thick paste.
- Then, apply this paste to your affected area
- Use a clean washcloth to wrap this area and leave it on overnight.
- Repeat this remedy daily before you go to bed.
19. Chamomile Tea
Drinking chamomile tea is known as one of the best natural home remedies for sciatica that you should make use for good. Chamomile is another herb that can be used to treat sciatic nerve pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties.
- Add 1 tsp. of chamomile herb to about a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 10-15 minutes
- Strain this chamomile tea and wait until it cools down.
- Add some honey to the tea and drink it warm.
- Repeat this home remedy at least 3 times daily.
20. Home Remedies For Sciatica During Pregnancy – Devil’s Claw
The devil’s claw contains powerful anti-inflammatory, which helps relieve inflammation. You should choose a brand that contains about 50mg of a compound called harpagoside. Just take note that people with peptic ulcers or are using blood-thinning medications should avoid this remedy.
21. Jamaican Dogwood
Taken from the dogwood tree’s bark, Jamaican dogwood is known as a powerful substance that can be used to reduce nerve pain. You can use it in the capsule form or directly apply it to your affected area. However, pregnant and lactating women should avoid using this herb.
22. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil can be effective in reducing the sciatica symptoms naturally. Simply, heat 3 tbsp. of mustard oil, and then add 3 carom seeds and 3 crushed garlic cloves into it. Wait until it cools down before massaging this mixture onto your affected area. Actually, this is considered as one of the best home remedies for sciatica that you should try out!
Among ayurvedic home remedies for sciatica, arnica can be a great solution for you. This can be provided in both homeopathic oral solution or in creams or rubs.
24. Nutmeg Powder
Another way when it comes to ayurvedic home remedies for sciatica in leg is to make use of nutmeg powder. Simply, roast some powdered nutmeg in 1 tbsp. of ginger oil. Then, cool down it a bit before you apply it onto the affected area.
According to a research , garlic also contains anti-inflammatory properties, hence making it a great sciatica pain treatment. Simply, you can add garlic to your dishes, or take garlic supplements. Actually, this is another great one among the best home remedies for sciatica that you should not look down, but try to make use for good.
26. Follow A Balanced Diet
A balanced diet can help your body boost the healing process. For example, the juice of orange and lemon can help improve the immunity and reduce the inflammation of sciatic nerve. Addition to this, you should also include foods that are rich in fiber in your daily diet in order to prevent constipation.
27. Epsom Salt
When it comes to learning home remedies for sciatica in leg, you should not skip this remedy. To use Epsom salt for relieving sciatica, you just need to fill your bathtub with warm water. After that, add about 2 cups of Epsom salt into the bathtub. Next, soak your affected area in it for half an hour daily to relieve the pain and simultaneously relax muscles.
28. Potato Juice
Using potato juice can help reduce the irritation and pain of sciatic nerve, making it one of the best home remedies for sciatica in leg. Simply, mix some potato juice with carrot juice and then drink it twice daily.
29. Home Remedies For Sciatica Pain – Horseradish
In regard to learning home remedies for sciatica pain, you should consider making use of horseradish. This herb has the ability to reduce the pain and inflammation of sciatica quickly. The only thing you need to do is to mince some horseradish to create a paste. Then, slightly warm it up before using it to massage your painful area. Leave it on for about 2 hours. Alternatively, warm up some horseradish juice and add some honey to it. Consume 2 tbsp. of this juice 3 times daily.
30. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is the last but very effective one among the most amazingly useful home remedies for sciatica that we want to mention in this article. As you know that warm saline solution is effective in reducing the inflammation  and pain associated with sciatic nerve pain. Moreover, if you combine apple cider vinegar with this solution, you can create a more effective solution that helps reduce sciatica pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add 500ml of apple cider vinegar to a basin of warm water.
- Then, add a cup of salt to this basin and mix it well.
- Soak your affected area in this warm solution for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy 3-4 times per week.
After reading this article about home remedies for sciatica pain, we hope that all of you will be able to find the best solutions for your case. Actually, the home remedies as we mentioned above are very effective in treating the symptoms of sciatica without causing any unwanted side effects. If you have any idea about this topic or you know other ayurvedic home remedies for sciatica in leg, remember to leave your comments in the comment box below. For further simple yet effective tips for health and beauty, remember to visit our How To Category.