Melasma is known as a chronic skin condition, which causes discoloration on the facial skin. It often appears as brown or blue-gray patches along the upper lips, upper cheeks, chin and forehead.
- Top 21 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Boils On Face And Body Skin/ Top 20 Best Tips On How To Get Rid Of Freckles Naturally
In this article, I will reveal some natural tips on how to treat melasma on face and upper lips in details. So, if you want to know how to get rid of melasma on your facial skin, you should keep your eyes on this article and then try to add one or more of these natural tips for your skincare routine as soon as possible.
Table Of Contents
I. Main Causes Of Melasma?
Some of the main causes of melasma are external sun exposure and hormonal changes, so the best treatment is reducing these causes. In some cases, many women have melasma during pregnancy, and this skin condition will improve naturally when the pregnancy is over. If some certain medications such as hormone replacement therapy and birth control pills causemelasma, stop these medications or switch to a different product. Consult with your doctor before you decide to make any changes.
II. How To Treat Melasma Naturally At Home – Top 30 Home Remedies To Apply:
There are a few ways that can help you treat melasma without needing to use any prescription cream, lotion. List of natural treatments for melasma that you should consider following:
1. Protect The Skin From The Sun
You should apply sunscreen and take other measures if you want to protect your skin from the UV rays. Doing so can prevent melasma from worsening and reduce the appearance of melasma on your skin. Apply sunscreen about 20 minutes before you want to go out. Also, opt for a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and consider using product with added nutrients like zinc. Besides, you can try “double” sun screening by layering a sunscreen SPF 15 on beneath a sunscreen SPF 30 for more protection.
Addition to this, you should also wear large sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat to offer additional protection. In case your melasma is bad, you may also need to wear long-sleeved pants and shirts. Also, try to keep away from direct sunlight.
List of 20 Effective Ways On How To Get Rid Of Spots On Face Fast will help you know some of the best home remedies for spots on face naturally, so check it out!.
2. Reduce Stress
According to a research , stress can worsen your hormonal imbalances and in case your melasma is caused by a hormonal imbalance, you need to find ways to reduce stress to help in treating your melasma. If you find difficult to relax, try some techniques like yoga or meditation. If they do not work for you, simply do everything you enjoy, whether that includes reading, walks through the park or taking a warm bath.
Read on Top 48 Best Home Remedies For Stress Relief to know some of the most effective treatments that can help you reduce stress at home.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a natural skin lightener that has many astringent properties. According to a study about benefits of using lemon on skin , the acidic nature found in lemon juice can help in removing the skin’s outer layer, thus reducing the layer of the pigmented skin.
How To Make:
- Take out the lemon juice from a fresh lemon
- Apply it on your pigmented skin areas and then gently massage for 1-2 minutes
- Allow it to sit on for about 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat this home remedy twice a day within 3 weeks to see an improvement.
To know some of the most effective tips to help you lighten your skin naturally, read on Top 26 Best Tips On How To Lighten Skin At Home
According to a study , turmeric can help in reducing the melanin in the skin and combating melasma. This is because the active ingredient called curcumin found in turmeric contains antioxidant as well as skin-lightening agents. It is advised to use whole milk as it contains calcium and lactic acid that helps in softening and exfoliating the skin
How To Make:
- Mix 10 tbsp. of milk and 5 tbsp. of turmeric powder to create a paste
- Add 1 tbsp. of gram flour to the mixture to thicken it
- Apply this mixture on your affected skin areas
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water
- Pat it dry with the help of a soft towel
- Repeat this process daily to get the best results.
If you want to know some of the best oils that can help you improve your skin, read on Top 34 Tips On How To Improve Skin Naturally With Oils
5. Aloe Vera Gel
This is one of the best tips on how to treat melasma naturally that you should know and then try to follow for good
Thanks to its mucilaginous polysaccharides, aloe vera gel can reduce hyperpigmentation and give you back your natural skin color. Also, it can remove dead skin cells and boost the renewal of skin cells.
How To Make:
- Take out the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Apply the aloe vera gel on your melasma and gently massage for 1-2 minutes
- Let it sit on for 15-20 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Repeat this process twice a day for aouple of weeks.
6. Onion Juice
It is another great home remedy to give you back your skin’s original color. Actually, onion juice has many sulfur-containing compounds to fade out dark patches on your skin. Also, it offers nourishment to your skin.
How To Make:
- Chop 2-3 onions, place them in a cheesecloth and then take out its juice
- Mix the onion juice with an equal amount of ACV
- Apply this mixture on your melasma using a cotton ball
- Allow it to sit on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process twice a day for a couple of weeks.
Actually, it is one of the most effective tips on how to treat melasma fast that you should make use, especially if you want to deal with your hyperpigmented skin areas without needing to use medications.
Learn More: Top 25 Best Beauty Tips For Face Skin
When it comes to tips on how to treat melasma fast, you should not skip papayas. Papain is an enzyme present in papayas. Also, it is a powerful exfoliating property that can remove dead skin cells.
How To Make:
- Mash a ripe papaya to create a paste
- Add 2 tbsp. of honey to ½ cup of the mashed papaya
- Apply this paste over your affected skin area
- Allow it to sit on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
- Repeat this process once a week for a couple of months.
It is a great exfoliating property that can help in removing brown patches on the skin and removing dead skin cells to offer you glowing skin. Now, follow the instructions below to treat melasma at home with the help of oatmeal:
How To Make:
- Mix 2 tbsp. of milk, 2 tbsp. of oatmeal powder and 1 tbsp. of honey
- Apply this mixture on your pigmented skin areas
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with water
- Then, pat it dry with the help of a clean towel
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a week within a month.
Actually, this is one of the best ways on how to treat melasma fast that you should not look down, yet try to make use as soon as possible.
Learn More: 22 Homemade Juices For Glowing Skin In A Week
9. Paper Mulberry
While this plant has a few non-medical uses, the paper mulberry extract or products that contain the paper mulberry extract can be used topically and orally to treat melasma, as long as you take the steps correctly provided on the product.
There are some other tips on how to treat melasma naturally that I want to mention in this article today. Continue reading this article to discover these natural treatments and then consider making use of these ways as soon as possible.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
The acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar is a powerful bleaching property. So, according to a study about uses of ACV for treating dark spots , it can help remove spots and simultaneously make your skin smoother and more radiant.
How To Make:
- Mix equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar
- Apply this solution on your affected skin areas and let it dry naturally.
- Wash it off with warm water and gently pat it dry.
- Repeat this home remedy once a day.
It is another natural treatment for melasma. This is because the bleaching properties found in horseradish can bleach out discoloration on the skin, including melasma. If you want to treat melasma naturally, you should take the following steps:
How To Make:
- Cut horseradish into a few slices and then apply it directly on your melasma
- Allow the horseradish juice to dry out naturally
- Rinse it off with warm water and then pat it dry
- Repeat this process once a week until your melasma fades away.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of horseradish powder in a cup of sour cream
- Then, apply it on your skin and allow it to sit on for half an hour
- Wash it off with warm water
- Repeat this process once a week to get the best results.
Sandalwood is another skin-lightening agent that can reduce the symptoms and signs of melasma and improve your skin complexion naturally. Actually, it is another one of the most effective home remedies for how to treat melasma on upper lips and face that you should know and then consider making use of sandalwood at home.
How To Make:
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric, sandalwood power, lemon juice and whole milk to make a thick paste.
- Apply it on your melasma and allow it to dry out naturally.
- Splash some water on your skin and then massage it in circular motions.
- Finally, rinse it off with water and then pat it dry.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a week for your desired result.
This is another one out of the best ways on how to treat melasma naturally that a lot of people in the world love and have been making use at home. The high content of protein found in almonds may have a skin-lightening effect. Besides, almonds have vitamin E that may help in nourishing the skin and removing discoloration.
How To Make:
- Mix 1 tsp. of almond powder and enough honey to create a thick paste
- Gently apply this paste onto your melasma and allow it to sit on for half an hour
- Wash it off with warm water and then pat it dry
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a week until you see your melasmamay be improved.
- Grind 5 almonds soaked in water with enough milk to create a paste.
- Add 1 tsp. of honey to this paste and then mix it well.
- Apply this paste on your melasma before you go to bed.
- Allow it to stay overnight and then rinse it off with water the next morning.
- Repeat this process daily for about 2 weeks.
14. Apricot Kernel Oil
Another one of the best home remedies for how to treat melasma naturally that you should know is to use apricot Kernel oil. Actually, this oil can nourish your skin, soothe the inflammation, improve your skin complexion and treat the symptoms of melasma. Actually, this apricot kernel oil has high contents of vitamins A, C, E as well as fatty acids.
Cucumber hydrates your affected skin areas and simultaneously keeps the skin glowing. Simply, you just need to apply a slice of cucumber on your melasma. Then, rinse it off with clean water after leaving it on after half an hour. Also, you can add cucumber to your daily diet.
In fact, this is one of the best ways on how to treat melasma on upper lips and face that you should not miss, but try to make use of cucumber if you want to reduce the appearance of melasma on your skin fast and naturally.
16. Castor Oil
Another effective way on how to treat melasma on upper lips and face that you should know and try to make use is using castor oil. Simply, soak a cotton ball in some castor oil and then apply it on your melasma. To get the best results, leave castor oil on your skin overnight.
17. Grape Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract contains antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help in treating melasma naturally. Also, it contains high contents of iron, potassium, calcium and essential vitamins and minerals. The regular application of grapefruit seed extract can help you get rid of melasma effectively. Actually, grape seed extract is one of the best ways on how to treat melasma on face and upper lips that you should know and then try to follow it for good.
- After applying it, in case you have skin irritations, stop using it immediately.
- If you experience any allergy from citrus fruits, do not consume or apply grapefruit seed extract on your skin because it may cause unwanted side effects.
18. Avocado and Honey Pack
Avocadoes have high content of oleic acid, vitamin C and fatty acids. Besides, they have all the ingredients for rejuvenating the skin. Addition to this, honey contains bleaching properties. Simply, mash an avocado and then add 2 tsp. of honey to mashed avocado. Then, apply it over your affected skin areas.
Actually, using avocado and honey pack is one of the best home remedies for how to treat melasma on face and upper lips that you should not miss, but try to make use for good.
19. Cocoa Butter
Another one on the list of ways on how to treat melasma on face and upper lips that you should not skip must include using cocoa butter. Actually, cocoa butter can help you lighten your skin complexion. Simply, massage your skin with some cocoa butter to prevent hyperpigmentation and nourish your skin.
20. Banana and Guava Mask
This mask is known as one of the natural ways on how to treat melasma at home that you should know and then try to make use as soon as possible Guava contains lycopene that can help in treating blemishes effectively. On the other hand, banana lightens your melasma and exfoliates the dead skin cells. Therefore, a face mask made from banana and guava will be helpful. Simply, mash guava and banana and then apply this paste on your affected skin areas. Then, rinse it off after about 15 minutes. Repeat this process daily for the best results.
21. Gotu Kola – Ginseng
These herbs help in reducing dark pigmentation and treating melasma. Simply, mix Gotu Kola and ginseng together in equal amounts. Repeat this process twice a day for the best results.
Do you want to know other effective ways on how to treat melasma on upper lips and face? Continue reading this entire article and remember to follow these natural treatments for good.
22. Yucca Root
It is well- known for its high content of saponin and helps with the renewal of skin cells. Besides, it has anti-inflammatory and laxative agents, which are effective in treating melasma. Simply, boil the yucca roots, make a puree and then apply it on your affected skin areas.
In fact, this is one of the best ways on how to treat melasma on face and upper lips that you should not look down, yet try to follow this method in order to treat the symptoms of melasma fast and effectively.
23. Basil Leaves
When it comes to ways on how to treat melasma fast, you should not skip the fact that using basil leaves can help you reduce the symptoms of hyperpigmented skin areas fast and naturally. Crush some basil leaves to take out its juice. Then, add some camphor powder to its juice to create a paste. Finally, apply it on your melasma and after it dries out, wash it off.
24. Plantain Mask
This is one of the most effective ways on how to treat melasma fast that you should not skip, yet try to follow for good. Simply, make a face mask by mashing plantain. Then, you apply it on your affected skin areas for about 15 minutes. To get the best results, repeat this process 4 times a week.
25. Pine Bark
Pine bark extracts have pycnogenol that is a powerful antioxidant protecting the skin from UV rays, making it one of the best ways on how to treat melasma on face and upper lips. People withmelasma should take about 25 mg of pine bark extracts about 3 times a day for a month. Using this herb will not cause any side effect.
26. Mint Leaves
When it comes to ways on how to treat melasma fast, you should not skip mint leaves. Using mint leaves are effective in treating the symptoms of melasma. Simply, crush some fresh mint leaves to take out this extract. Apply it directly on your melasma and repeat this remedy regularly.
27. Vitamin E
Vitamin E can help to inhibit the production of melanin, making it a great home remedy for melasma. Now, take the following steps to use vitamin E to treat melasma at home:
How To Make:
- Applylotions or creams containing vitamin Edirectly on your melasma for the best result.
- Also, try to consume more vitamin E- rich foods. Some of the greatest sources of vitamin E are nuts, seeds, fish and green leafy veggies.
Actually, vitamin E is known as one of the most effective ways on how to treat melasma on upper lips and face that you should know and then try to make use for good.
Unflavored yogurt can help to reduce the occurrence of melasma on your skin due to its the lactic acid, which has bleaching agents to even out discoloration on your skin. Also, yogurt helps with the renewal of skin cells. To make use of yogurt in order to deal with melasma at home, you should follow the instructions below:
How To Make:
- Wash your face thoroughly before applying a thin layer of Greek yogurt
- Allow it to sit on your melasma for more than 10 minutes before washing it off.
29. Lavender Oil and Tea Tree Oil
Mix some lavender oil and tea tree oil to create a paste. Then, apply this mixture on your melasma. Repeat this process about 4-5 times a day within a week for the improvements. Actually, you should make use of lavender oil and tea tree oil if you want to deal with your dark patches on your skin naturally.
30. Add Sun- Protecting FoodsTo Your Daily Diet
One of the best ways on how to treat melasma on face is to eat foods that protect the skin from the sun. Some of the best sun- protecting foods that you should try to add to your daily diet are:
- Tomatoes: They contain lycopene that can help in protecting your skin from UV rays. However, the best source of lycopene is tomato paste. Otherwise, you can take lycopene supplements.
- Carrots: They contain beta-carotene, which helps protect your skin from sun damage. You try to consume about 6 carrots each day to improve your skin complexion and treat melasma. Alternatively, take 30mg of beta-carotene or apply beta-carotene topically on melasma.
- Green Tea: It contains catechins that protect your skin from UV radiation. You can take green tea supplements several times daily.
- Sweet Potatoes: They are packed with beta-carotene, so if you add them to your diet to improve your skin complexion and protect the skin from the sun. Do not cook them too long because they will lose most of their nutrients. You can bake them in the oven until they are soft and then consume it.
- Salmon: It is packed with omega-3s, which are good for skin health. It can help in improving your skin’s ability to protect your skin from sun exposure and reducing dark spots. Alternatively, you can take 4 mg of astaxanthin supplement on a daily basis.
- Fruits: They contain lots of vitamins and antioxidants to reduce dark spots and protect your skin from UV rays.Some of the best sun-protection fruits include strawberries, grapes, blueberries, oranges and pomegranates. Consuming these fruits will offer your skin vitamins and antioxidants needed to treat melasma.
Some of the other effective ways that can help you treat melasma effectively:
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and remove toxins from your body
- Remove the make-up before going to sleep
- Increase your intake of vitamin B12.
Although there are a few medicines and treatments available in the market, keep in mind that they can cause side effects. Instead, opt for natural treatments to treat melasma and restore your natural skin color without needing to worry about side effects.
This article includes 30 natural ways on how to treat melasma on face, you and my other readers of Healthy Guide should try to apply at least one of these effective natural treatments as soon as possible to treat the symptoms of melasma on your skin. The home remedies as I mentioned above are effective in reducing the appearance of melasma on your skin without causing any unwanted side effect, so you should feel free to apply any of these home remedies at the comfort of your home.
If you think that this list can help those who with melasma on their skin, feel free to share it with others who are concerning about ways on how to treat melasma on upper lips. Also, if you know other natural ways to treat melasma at home, remember to share these natural treatments by leaving your comments below.