Swollen gums are a common health problem. The tissue forming the gums is full of blood vessels, so when there is a swelling in your gums, they may bulge out and look red. This can make your gums sensitive, irritated and even painful. You can have bleeding gums when brushing or flossing the teeth. Fortunately, you can reduce the swelling of gums by maintaining proper oral hygiene and applying some home remedies. Nonetheless, if the symptoms of swollen gums persist for more than 14 days, you should see your dentist.
List Of 34 Home Remedies For Swollen Gums And Cheek:
If you are suffering from swollen gums with pus, you should not feel so worried because this oral problem is not harmful and it can disappear within a few days after you apply some of the home remedies. Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the simplest home remedies for swollen gums and cheek.
I. What Are Swollen Gums?
Swollen gums are inflamed jaw tissues and this oral condition can affect people of all ages. This condition is also a common symptom of many gum diseases. You can find swollen gums behind front teeth, under teeth, between teeth, and around wisdom tooth. There are some triggering factors that can contribute to the swelling and inflammation of the gums. They are:
- Poor oral hygiene: Swollen gums occur when people brush their teeth improperly or they do not brush regularly.
- Tooth abscess: If left untreated, it can cause the swelling and inflammation of gums
- Vitamin deficiency: Vitamin C deficiency can give rise to swelling and inflammation of the gums
- Unhealthy diet: Diets with sugar-rich foods can lead to swollen gums
- Ill-fitting braces: They can cause constant irritation and swelling of the gums
- Smoking: Smoking can increase the risk of developing gum diseases, including swollen gums.
- Certain medications: The use of anticovulsants, antidepressants and heart disease drugs can be a cause of inflammation and swelling in the gums.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, increased fluid retention and blood flow in the body can contribute to the inflammation and swelling of gums.
Read on What Causes Canker Sores On Gum And In The Throat – Top 17 Causes to discover some of the most common causes of canker sores on gum and in the throat.
Apart from inflammation, there are many other symptoms of this condition. They include:
- Receding gums
- A pain when eating foods
- A constant bad taste
- Spaces between teeth
- A constant bad breath
- Tenderness when touching the affected gums
- Red or purple gums
- Loose teeth
- Pus buildup between the teeth and gum line
List of 20 Home Remedies For Canker Sores On Tongue, Gums And In Throat will show you some of the best natural treatments for canker sores on tongue, gums and in throat, so check it out!
II. How To Treat Swollen Gums With Pus- Top 34 Home Remedies
Fortunately, there are a variety of natural treatments for swollen gums with pus that you can consider applying at home for good. Actually, all of these natural treatments can help you get rid of the swelling and inflammation of your gums without causing any side effect. So, you can feel secure when applying of these treatments at the comfort of your own home.
1. Reduce Stress
This should be the first way on how to treat swollen gums and cheek that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to apply for good. High levels of stress can affect your oral health in some ways. It can give a rise to inflammation in the body, making your gums more painful. Also, stress can reduce the functionality of the immune system, making it harder for the body to fight against the infection. Besides, when you are stressed, you can skip flossing or brushing or eat more fast food. All of these habits can contribute to the swelling of the gums. To reduce stress, you can try some stress reduction techniques such as taking deep breath, meditation, yoga, etc.
To know some of the best natural treatments that can give you a relief from stress and anxiety, read on Top 48 Best Home Remedies For Stress Relief And Removal
2. How To Treat Swollen Gums- Salt Water
Using salt is an effective way on how to treat swollen gums with pus that you should try out! Studies found that salt can help to inhibit the bacteria growth in your mouth and simultaneously prevent these infections from becoming worse. To use salt as a swollen gums treatment, you can apply either of the following methods:
- At first, use a soft-bristle toothbrush to brush your teeth
- Then, rub your gums with some salt for several seconds.
- After that, rinse it off using warm water.
- Repeat this process once daily. When your gums become healthier, repeat this remedy 3 times a week as a preventive measure.
- Mix ½- 1 tsp. of sea salt in a glass of warm water
- Use the salt water to rinse the mouth twice a day until your swollen gums subside.
3. Black Tea Bags
If you are not sure about how to treat swollen gums and cheek, then you can take advantage of black tea bags. Actually, these tea bags contain tannins, which have been found to help reduce swelling and inflammation of the gums. Addition to this, the antioxidant properties found in black tea bags also help to improve oral health. To use black tea bags for relieving swollen gums and cheek, you can take the following steps:
- At first, place a black tea bag into a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for 2- 3 minutes before removing the bag
- Then, allow it to cool before holding the black tea bag on your swollen gums for about 10-15 minutes
- After that, rinse off the mouth using warm salt water
- Repeat this home remedy once daily for several days
If you want to know some of the best benefits of hibiscus tea for human health, read on Top 17 Health And Nutritional Benefits Of Hibiscus Tea
4. Vanilla Extract
If you are looking for 100% certain way to treat swollen gums with pus, you do not skip this ingredient. According to a study about natural gum pain relief , vanilla extract contains antiseptic and analgesic properties, which have been found to relieve pain in the gums. The only thing you need to do is to use a Q-tip to apply 1-2 drops of vanilla extract on your affected gum. Leave it on for a few minutes and reapply it twice a day.
5. Essential Oils
Chamomile, peppermint and tea tree oils can be effective in reducing the pain of swollen gums. Both peppermint and tea tree oils are powerful antimicrobial agents while the chamomile oil can help reduce the inflamed and swollen gums.
- Mix 2 drops each of chamomile, tea tree and peppermint essential oils in a glass of lukewarm water
- Then, use this oil mixture to rinse your mouth for 2- 3 minutes
- Finally, rinse it off with clean wate
- Repeat this home remedy twice a day
- Alternatively, add some tea tree oil to your toothpaste when brushing your teeth
Apart from the essential oil mixture recipe above, you can consider using another oil mixture to reduce the swelling of your gums.
· Mix 2 drops each of clove oil and oregano oil along with 2 tbsp. of coconut oil in a bowl
· Then, swish your mouth this essential oil mixture for about 5-10 minutes.
· Finally, spit it out and reapply the process 3 times per day.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties, making it a great treatment for irritated and inflamed gums. To use tea tree oil for swollen gums relief, you can follow either of the home remedies daily until your gums become healthy again.
- Add some tea tree oil to a cup of warm water and then use the solution as a mouthwash twice per day.
- Otherwise, brush the teeth with toothpaste that contain tea tree oil
- Note: Never swallow tea tree oil because it can lead to stomach problems.
7. Castor Seed Oil
This sounds strange when it comes to learning how to treat swollen gums and cheek, but it actually does work. This remedy can give you a relief from your swollen and inflamed gums. Camphor is an analgesic agent that can help to reduce the pain while castor oil has anti-inflammatory effects on your swollen gums. Here is the step-by-step instruction that you should follow if you want to relieve the swelling and inflammation of your gums.
- At first, crush a camphor tablet and mix it with some castor seed oil to make a paste
- Then, gently apply this paste on your swollen gums.
- Let it sit on for 2-3 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
- Reapply this home remedy once per day.
8. How To Treat Swollen Gums- Turmeric
Turmeric is also another great home remedy for how to treat swollen gums with pus. Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects to help you reduce swelling, pain and inflammation. Moreover, turmeric also contains powerful properties that have been found to prevent the bacteria growth that causes many oral problems.
- At first, mix ¼ tsp. of powdered turmeric with some water to create a paste.
- Use your fingers to apply this paste on your swollen gums
- Let it sit on for about 5 minutes before gently massaging for 1 minute.
- After that, rinse off your mouth using warm water.
- Reapply this home twice per day for 1- 2 weeks.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide
According to a research about home remedies for swollen gums , hydrogen peroxide can also be effective in reducing gum inflammation, swelling, and pain. It can also help to kill off germs and deal with oral problems. To be safe, you should only use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. You can use either of the following methods 2- 3 times daily. Just take note that you should not swallow hydrogen peroxide. Now, if you want to use hydrogen peroxide for swollen gums relief, you can apply either of the following methods:
- Mix equal amounts of water and 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Then, use this solution to swish your mouth for 30 seconds.
- Finally, rinse it off using warm water.
- Mix 1 tsp. of baking soda with the sufficient amount of hydrogen peroxide to create a paste.
- Then, apply this paste onto your gums.
- Leave it on for one minute before rinsing it off with warm water.
10. Warm And Cold Compresses
Warm and cold compresses can give you a quick relief from your swollen gums. However, remember that you should hold the compresses against the face, not the swollen gums.
- At first, soak a clean washcloth in some warm water and squeeze the excess liquid.
- Then, hold this cloth against your face for about 4-6 minutes.
- Next, wrap some ice cubes in a thin towel and then use it to hold against your face until you feel a slight numbing.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times.
Do you want to discover other effective home remedies for how to treat swollen gums and cheek? Keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply any of these home remedies for good.
11. Aloe Vera
Another effective way on how to treat swollen gums and cheek is aloe vera. Studies found that this herb contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great solution for soothing swollen gums and preventing the growth of bacteria in the mouth. To make use of aloe vera gel for relieving your swollen gums, you can take the following steps:
- Cut open a medium aloe vera leaf and then take out its gel.
- Then, apply the aloe vera gel on your gums with your clean fingers
- Massage your gums for 1-2 minutes in a gentle manner
- Finally, rinse it off with warm water
- Reapply this remedy several times daily until your condition is improved
12. Sesame Oil
Oil pulling with sesame oil is a great way to treat oral health problems. This practice helps to reduce bacteria growth in the mouth, prevent plaque buildup and strengthen your gums. Now, if you want to treat swollen gums with pus, you can follow the instructions below.
- At first, put 1 tbsp. of sesame oil in the mouth and swish around for about 15-20 minutes
- Next, spit out the sesame oil
- Rinse off your mouth with warm water and brush your teeth as normal
- Repeat this home remedy every morning before you brush your teeth.
- Note: You do not swallow the sesame oil.
13. Clove Oil
Clove oil is another natural remedy for swollen gums thanks to its analgesic and antimicrobial properties. You can reapply any of the following methods every several hours.
- Apply 2-3 drops of clove oil on your swollen gums and then, gently massage it
- Mix clove oil with black pepper and then use this mixture to massage your gums
- Chew on cloves
14. Baking Soda
Many people who have swollen gums make use of baking soda to reduce the swelling and inflammation of your gums. Baking soda can do wonders thanks to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Besides, baking soda also helps to reduce the inflammation and pain of your gums.
- Mix 1 tsp. of baking soda with a pinch of powdered turmeric
- Then, use this mixture to massage your gums
- Finally, rinse it off with clean water.
- Alternatively, brush your teeth with some baking soda
- Repeat this remedy twice a day
15. How To Treat Swollen Gums- Henna Leaves
Henna leaves are worth mentioning in this list of great ways on how to treat swollen gums and cheek. Henna leaves contain antibiotic properties, making it a great solution for eliminating the harmful bacteria from your mouth.
- At first, boil some henna leaves in water for 10- 15 minutes.
- Use this water to gargle your mouth.
- Reapply this home remedy twice a day.
16. Lemon Juice
Another natural tip on how to treat swollen gums with pus is using lemon juice. Actually, lemon juice contains antimicrobial properties, which help to kill off microbes causing the swelling in your gums. Also, according to a study about lemon juice benefits , lemon juice helps to maintain the pH balance in your mouth.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of lemon juice in a glass of warm water
- Then, gargle your mouth with this solution
- Repeat this home remedy twice per day until your condition is improved
When it comes to learning how to treat swollen gums with pus, ginger is a really effective treatment for the swelling of the gums. Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which help to reduce the swelling and inflammation in your gums.
- At first, crush and mash a small ginger piece
- Then, add ½ tsp. of salt to the mashed ginger to make a paste
- Apply this paste on your swollen gums and let it sit on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with clean water
- Reapply this home remedy 2-3 times daily.
18. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another natural way on how to treat swollen gums and cheek is using apple cider vinegar, which is highly recommended for oral problems. Apple cider vinegar can help maintain the pH balance in your mouth, thereby reducing the infection and swollen gums. Simply, mix 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and then use it to rinse your mouth. For the best results, reapply it 2-3 times per day.
19. Babul Bark
Babul can be used to treat many oral problems thanks to its ability to reduce plaque, and enhance your gums. Babul bark is one among great ways on how to treat swollen gums with pus thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, astringent and antihistaminic properties.
- Firstly, boil some Babul bark in water until the water reduces 1/2 the original amount.
- Allow it to cool down for several minutes.
- Then, rinse your mouth with this babul bark water
- Repeat this remedy for 2- 3 times per day.
20. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil contains powerful anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial properties, which can help to increase the blood flow to your gums. Besides, it also helps to prevent the growth of oral pathogens.
- At first, add 1 tsp. of mustard oil to your palm.
- Next, add a pinch of salt to it before mixing them together.
- Now, use this mixture to gently massage your gums for 4-5 minutes
- Finally, spit the oil out and rinse it off with warm water.
- Reapply this method twice per day.
21. Alum Powder
If you are looking for ways on how to treat swollen gums and cheek, you can consider using this ingredient. Alum powder contains antiseptic properties that can help to kill off microorganisms and germs in your mouth. Moreover, it can help to relieve the pain and inflammation of your gums.
- At first, mix 1 tsp. of alum powder with some warm water
- Then, rinse your mouth with this solution
- Repeat this remedy for 2- 3 times daily.
22. How To Treat Swollen Gums- Carom Seeds
These seeds contain antibacterial, anti-inflammation, anesthetic and antifungal properties, making them a great home remedy for relieving swollen gums.
- Firstly, grind 1-2 tsp. of roasted carom seeds until you get a smooth powder.
- Add some mustard oil to this powder to make a paste
- Now, rub this paste to your swollen gums.
- Firstly, add a few drops of carom essential oil to a bowl of water
- Stir them well before using this solution to swish around your mouth for several minutes.
- Finally, spit it out and rinse off the mouth with warm water
23. Myrrh Oil
Myrrh oil contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can provide you with a relief from inflammation and swelling of your gums. Besides, it can make your breath fresher; therefore, you can find this oil in various types of toothpastes and mouthwashes.
- At first, mix 1- 4 drops of myrrh oil with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
- Then, swish this mixture around your mouth for 5-10 minutes
- Finally, brush your teeth with your toothpaste
- Repeat this process 2- 3 times per day.
The antiseptic and antibacterial properties found in honey can be effective in reducing the swelling of the gums. It helps to inhibit the bacteria growth in the mouth. To use honey for swollen gums relief, you just need to apply some honey onto your affected area when brushing. By doing it regularly, you will be able to reduce discomfort from your swollen gums.
There are some other effective home remedies for how to treat swollen gums with pus in this article. So, you should keep both of your eyes on the rest of this article and then consider applying one or more of these remedies for good.
We all know that garlic can be added into lots of tasteful recipes, but do you know that it can be used to reduce the swelling and inflammation of the gums? Garlic contains flavonoids and sulfur, which make it a natural treatment for swollen gums. The method of using garlic for treating swollen gums is so simple and here is the instruction for you.
- Firstly, mix some crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder with salt.
- Then, apply this mixture on your swollen gums
- Alternatively, chew on some garlic cloves
- Repeat the remedy daily within a few days.
26. Cranberry Juice
Fruit juice is good for human health and some of them can help to treat swollen gums naturally and effectively. The antioxidants as well as essential vitamins found in cranberry juice can help to prevent bacteria growth in your mouth. To treat swollen gums, you just need to drink about 4 ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice every day.
27. Massage The Gums
To treat swollen gums with pus, you can try massaging your swollen gums using a cotton pad in a gentle way. This method will help to increase blood circulation to your gums and give you a swollen gums relief. Remember to have clean hands and clipped short fingernails before doing this in order to prevent the bacteria from spreading. If you find hard to use your fingers, you can try using a gum stimulator.
28. Intake Vitamin D
When you want to know how to treat swollen gums and cheek, you should remember that vitamin D can help to reduce the swelling and inflammation. In case you lack of vitamin D, you will have a higher risk of developing swollen gum disease. Addition to this, according to a research , vitamin D also helps to enhance the periodontal health and bone mineral density. You can take vitamin D from early morning sunlight or consume vitamin D- rich foods such as sunflower seeds, cod liver oil, salmon, whole eggs, milk, etc. Another option for you is to take vitamin D supplement.
29. Take Multivitamin Pills
When you are learning how to treat swollen gums and cheek, you can consider taking multivitamin pills. These multivitamin pills can add iron, vitamin C and folic acid to your immune system. It can give you a quick relief from inflamed and swollen gums.
30. How To Treat Swollen Gums- Get Enough Sleep
Exhaustion can lead to puffiness in your gums. Therefore, you should aim at getting 7- 9 hours of sleep each night. You can try exercising to help you get a better sleep. You should also stay away from over-stimulating substances before bed.
Actually, this is also one of the most effective ways on how to treat swollen gums with pus that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to apply for good.
31. Brush Your Teeth Properly
When brushing your teeth, you need to brush your top chewing surfaces, backs and fronts of teeth, and bottom teeth. Aim to brush the teeth 2- 3 times per day to remove plaque from your mouth and thereby, helping to fight against tooth decay and gum problems. Here are some effective tricks for you when brushing your teeth:
- Use a soft toothbrush to clean your teeth without causing any irritation. You should not use medium or hard- bristle toothbrushes because they can cause swollen gums and even scratchy tooth enamel.
- Do not use increased force to brush your teeth because it can harm your teeth.
- Opt for gum- protecting toothpastes designed for gingivitis.
32. Floss Daily
This is another great way on how to treat swollen gums and cheek that you should not look down, yet try to apply for good. Flossing between your teeth regularly helps to remove the buildup of plaque and bacteria from your teeth, thereby helping to prevent the gums from swelling. You should try to gently floss in order to avoid irritating gum tissues. Also, you need to use a clean section of floss when switching teeth in order to prevent bacteria from spreading.
33. Avoid Gum Irritants
When your gums are swollen, you should avoid any substances can irritate this swelling such as alcohol and tobacco products. As mentioned before, smoking can irritate your gums, so you should try to stop smoking in order to reduce the risks of getting swelling of the gums. Besides, harsh mouthwashes can also aggravate your swollen gums; therefore, you should also stop using them. You can dilute your mouthwash with water. Then, use it within 2 weeks and take a break for a week before repeating the treatment.
34. Have A Balanced Nutrition
This is the last but very important one among great ways on how to treat swollen gums and cheek that you should know and then apply right from today. Having balanced diet plan is the key to healthy gums and teeth. Adding some certain foods to your diet can boost up the healing process and improve the oral health.
- Consume vitamin C-rich foods, such as kiwi, oranges, strawberries, bell peppers, pineapple, broccoli, cantaloupe, Brussels sprouts and kale.
- Consume foods containing folic acid, such as broccoli, beans, asparagus, lentils, peas and avocados.
- Consume calcium-rich foods, such as tofu, salmon, dairy products, sardines, soy milk, collard greens and cereals
- Avoid very hot or cold beverages and foods.
Other tips that can help you get rid of swollen gums and cheek:
- Take supplements after consulting a doctor for the proper dosage
- Drink plenty of water to remove bacteria  and food residue from your mouth. Also, drinking water can help to increase the saliva production and kill off bacteria.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year for a checkup.
Although swollen gums are not harmful, in some cases, they can cause some serious complications like ulcers and tooth loss. Moreover, some studies have also found the link between swollen gums and heart problems such as stroke and heart attacks. So, if you are experiencing severe swelling and constant pain in your gums, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
We wonder whether or not you can find the best solutions for your condition. If there are any ideas about home remedies for swollen gums, feel free to leave your comments in the comment box below. We appreciate your contribution and will try to reply as soon as possible. For further simple but effective health and beauty tips, remember to visit our How To Page regularly.