Skin is known as the largest body’s organ that makes our body function properly. Burn is a skin condition occurring when the skin gets affected due to thermal, chemical, electrical, heat, cold temperature, liquid scald, hot plastic burns or radiation. Burn can be divided into 3 main types, depending on their severity. Nowadays, there are many medications and creams for treating these burns, but almost all people prefer to apply home remedies for burns to relieve their skin right away with less pain.
- 29 Tips How To Treat Burns On Face, Skin, Fingers, & Hand At Home/ How To Prevent Razor Burn On Skin And Face – 24 Best Tips
Before learning about natural ways on how to use coconut oil for burns on face and hands, you need to understand benefits of coconut oil for burn treatment. Have a quick glimpse on Healthy Guide!
- I. Is Coconut Oil Good For Burn Treatment?
- II. Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Burns And Cuts
- 1. It Contains Wound-Healing Properties
- 2. It Relieves Pain
- 3. It Stimulates Collagen Production
- III. How To Use Coconut Oil For Burns And Cuts
- 1. Coconut Oil
- 2. Coconut Oil And Vitamin E Oil
- 3. Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice
- 4. Coconut Oil Salve
I. Is Coconut Oil Good For Burn Treatment?
Virgin coconut oil is known one of the best home remedies for burns and cuts thanks to its skin- healing properties. Coconut oil not only prevents secondary infections and stimulates the healing process, but it also keeps the skin moisturized and reduces the appearance of scars on the skin.
However, keep in mind that coconut oil is effective in treating only first- degree burns as well as some second- degree burns including rope burns, sunburns, acid burns, minor chemical burns, water burns or radiation burns. Third-degree burns are very serious and according to a study about essential oils for burns , they should be treated with special treatments. And you just can use virgin coconut oil to minimize the formation of scars after applying medical treatments.
When using coconut oil for healing burns and cuts, there is no specific dosage for you. You can use 0.5ml-1ml of coconut oil on your burnt skin area regularly for more than 10 days after getting the injury for the positive results. You can also include 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil in your daily cooking.
List of 25 Natural Homemade Face Masks For Acne Scars And Redness will show you some of the homemade face masks that you can make at home to treat acne scars and redness, so check it out!
II. Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Burns And Cuts
Research studies have found some beneficial properties of coconut oil for wound healing. And, some of which will be revealed in this article.
1. It Contains Wound-Healing Properties
If you are not sure why you should use coconut oil for burns on hands, this may be one of your answers. Coconut oil contains natural and safe wound-healing properties. It can heal the burns and cuts quickly by boosting up the collagen production. Also, it can enhance cell proliferation in the damaged layer of connective tissues and stimulate the blood vessel formation. Another study showed that applying coconut oil when combined with another antibiotic can help heal the burns by stimulating the formation of epithelial layer.
Read on 20 Tips How To Get Rid Of Sunburn Blisters On Nose, Face, Lips, & Skin Fast to discover some of the best tips that can help you treat sunburn blisters on face, nose, lips and skin.
2. It Relieves Pain
When it comes to learning why we should use coconut oil for burns on face, you should not skip the fact that it can relieve burn. Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can help you relieve the pain and discomfort caused by burns thanks to the vitamin E present in coconut oil.
3. It Stimulates Collagen Production
Burn wounds break down the collagen fibers of the skin, and therefore, the collagen synthesis is very important for wound healing. Some studies have shown that coconut oil stimulates the collagen production and simultaneously strengthening the damaged skin.
To know some of the best ways to use natural oils in order to improve your skin, read on Top 34 Tips On How To Improve Skin Naturally With Oils
4. It Contains Anti-inflammatory Property
Wounds often go along with redness, inflammation and pain. And you can prevent these symptoms by consumption or application of coconut oil. According to a study, coconut oil contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which are effective in treating many inflammatory conditions.
5. It Elevates Antioxidant Defenses
Oxidative stress present in wounded areas can cause pain and discomfort and even worsen the wound. And, anti-oxidative properties found in coconut oil can help in repairing the wounds. According to a study, coconut oil is packed with polyphenols which help reduce oxidative stress.
Another study found that virgin coconut oil contains more antioxidant properties than copra oil, olive oil and sunflower oil. This was because coconut oil components can help increase antioxidant enzymes, hence preventing oxidative stress. However, another study revealed that its anti-oxidant effects depend on the method of extraction.
If you want to know some of the best ways to treat acne skin and scars with the help of olive oil, read on 19 Ways To Use Olive Oil For Acne Skin & Scars Treatment On Face
6. It Contains Anti-microbial Property
It is very important for you to clean your wounds and cover them with sterile bandage. Also, you can prevent infection by applying some coconut oil to your wounds in order to prevent contamination. According to a research
, coconut oil contains antimicrobial properties, which are effective in preventing fungal infections.
7. It Works As A Defensive Barrier
Coconut oil works as a defensive barrier against free radical damages, hence preventing further damage and enhancing the immune system. The application of coconut oil can protect your burns from pathogens, irritants and pollutants, hence preventing the chance of developing secondary infection.
III. How To Use Coconut Oil For Burns And Cuts
Now, we will discover some of the simplest ways to use coconut oil for burns and cuts. These home remedies will reduce the appearance of scaring and add elasticity to your new skin in order to prevent the scars on your skin.
1. Coconut Oil
This should be one of the best natural remedies for how to use coconut oil for burns on face that we want to mention in this article. Applying coconut oil onto the burnt skin can help keep the affected skin area well- moisturized and simultaneously relieve the irritated skin. Also, it will help increase the blood flow to your affected skin area, hence boosting up the healing process.
- Firstly, place your burn in running water for 10 minutes to relieve the irritation and pain as well as avoid scars formation.
- Then dry it out with a soft towel before applying a thin layer of virgin extra coconut oil on it.
- Keep doing this process at regular intervals for several days until you healed your burns completely without causing any scars on your skin.
2. Coconut Oil And Vitamin E Oil
If you are looking for 100% certain way to use coconut oil for burns and cuts, then you do not skip this recipe. You can use coconut oil for healing burns. Simply, mix 1 tsp. of vitamin E oil in a cup of coconut oil. After that, apply this mixture on your sunburnt skin areas for nourishment and deep moisture to the skin.
3. Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice
This sounds strange when it comes to learning how to use coconut skin for burns on hand, but it does work. The combination of virgin coconut oil and lemon juice can help deal with minor burns by cooling the burnt skin while lightening up its scars.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of virgin coconut oil and 1/2 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
- Stir it well and then gently apply it on your burns as well as its scars.
- Repeat this process few times daily to boost up the healing.
There are other effective ways on how to use coconut oil for burns and cuts in this article. So, you should keep both of your eyes on this interesting article and then try to apply any of these home remedies for good.
4. Coconut Oil Salve
This is worth mentioning in this list of effective ways on how to use coconut oil for burns on face due to its multiple benefits for skincare. Using coconut oil salve helps to heal the burnt skin areas quickly by preventing it from developing skin infection. This mixture can be used to heal the cuts and burns.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil and frankincense oil in coconut oil.
- Mix them well and then apply this oil mixture on your burnt skin areas or your cuts.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis to heal the burnt skin areas.
5. Coconut Oil And Lavender Essential Oil
When it comes to learning how to use coconut oil for burns on hands, this recipe is a really amazing burn treatment. According to a study about essential oils for glowing skin , lavender essential oil offers many benefits for skin thanks to its antioxidant, sedative, antimicrobial and calming properties. When combined with coconut oil for burns and cuts, it can actually does work.
- Mix 5 drops of lavender oil in 1 tbsp. of virgin coconut oil
- Then, apply this oil mixture gently on your burnt skin areas to deal with the stinging sensation and simultaneously avoid the scar formation.
- Cover the affected area and wash it off after about 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process daily until your burnt areas heal completely.
6. Coconut Oil And Apple Cider Vinegar
Another natural way on how to use coconut oil for burns and cuts is combining coconut oil and apple cider vinegar, which is highly recommended for wound treatment. According to a research about uses for apple cider vinegar , the acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar can help heal your burns and simultaneously relieve your affected skin. Meanwhile, coconut oil can help moisturize your irritated skin areas. The combination of apple cider vinegar and coconut oil can be effective in dealing with your burns
- Firstly, soak a clean cloth in cold water.
- Splash some apple cider vinegar on it before using this cloth to apply on your burnt skin area.
- Leave it on for several minerals until it gets dried.
- After that, apply some coconut oil on that skin area.
- Finally, leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process to reduce burn and promote quick healing.
7. Coconut Oil Healing Ointment
This is the last but very important way on how to use coconut oil for burns on face and hands that you should not look down, yet try to apply at home for good, especially if you are trying to heal your burns and cuts with the help of natural ingredients.
- ½ cup of shea butter
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 10 drops of helichrysum essential oil
- 2 tbsp. of beeswax pastilles
- 10 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 7 drops of chamomile essential oil
- A hand mixer
- A double boiler
- A glass jar
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax pastilles.
- Once melted, wait until it cools down completely.
- Then, add all of the essential oils, and beat this mixture until well combined with the help of a hand mixer.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar and let it set before using.
- When using, apply this mixture onto your burnt skin area.
- Repeat this process regularly to boost up the healing process.
Tips and precautions when using coconut oil:
- Always use organic and virgin coconut oil for healing the burns and cuts on your skin.
- Consult your doctor if you have third degree burns for medical treatment.
- If you do not get any relief from the burns, you should consult your doctor immediately.
- Coconut oil  does not cause unwanted side effects. However, in some rare cases, it can cause allergic reactions such as redness, irritation or itching. Therefore, you should make a patch test before applying the coconut oil on you burnt skin areas.
- Remember to apply coconut oil for a few times per day until you get a relief from burns.
- Apart from applying coconut oil, you should follow a healthy diet, hydrate your body, have enough sleep, etc. to stimulate the recovery from the burns and cuts.
Coconut oil offers many benefits that can aid to heal burns and cuts. It plays a vital role in wound healing and it is also safe when applying on your skin. Therefore, whenever you have minor burns and cuts on the skin, you should consider using any of the home remedies with coconut oil.
Hope that some of these 7 methods are helpful for your wound healing. If this article can help resolve your issue or if you know other effective ways to use coconut oil for burns on face and hands, do let us know by dropping your comments in the comment section below. For further simple yet effective skincare tips, remember to visit our Skincare Category regularly.
Leave a Reply