TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. What Is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition which causes spots and pimples, particularly on the face, neck, back, shoulders, chest, and upper arms. Acne popularly happens in individuals who are going through puberty. Acne can be worse for people having oily skin.
II. Causes Of Acne
The main cause of acne is not poor personal hygiene. Acne is a multifactorial skin condition which may be aggravated by stress whether emotional or physical. These are several the most typical causes of acne including stress, hormonal changes, pollution, pregnancy, improper nutrition, contraceptives, heredity, bacteria, smoking, and others. Commercial acne products contain the chemicals that also contribute to your damaged skin immunity and lead to acne. Therefore, you should choose natural solutions such as olive oil, papaya, oatmeal, and sea salt to deal with your skin problem. Now, you and we together discuss detailed effective uses of olive oil for acne through the below sections.
III. Why Is Olive Oil Effective For Treating Acne?
Olive oil is a natural ingredient that has a ton of skin care and health benefits. This oil is a perfect option for curing acne thanks to its wonderful features.
- Olive oil is the naturally antibacterial property which helps you kill germs that are responsible for acne.
- The oil contains antioxidants that are able to reduce the visibility of acne scars.
- It has the ability to reduce swelling, inflammation, and redness caused by breakouts.
- The polyphenols present in it aids in protecting against free radicals which damage skin.
- Olive oil is an abundance of nutrients and important fatty acids can heal damaged skin.
- It also assists in cleansing dead skin cells and many other toxins which cause to clog pores.
- The oil is rich in vitamin E that is beneficial in restoring the natural oil balance of the skin, thereby helping to prevent acne as well as scars.
- Olive oil is also a plenty of vitamin D, vitamin K, beta-carotenes, and unsaturated fatty acids that are useful in strengthening the immune system in order to prevent infections that trigger acne.
IV. Uses Of Olive Oil For Acne
Because of the amazing benefits of olive oil for acne treatment, Healthyguide has listed top 19 uses of olive oil to remove acne. You can apply any one among them daily to achieve relief without side effects.
Top 19 Ways On How To Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Acne Skin
1. Olive Oil Scrub
The first of top 19 effective uses of olive oil for acne is to rub your face with this magic oil. If you do not like to do the preparations, this way is suitable for you.
- You wash your face completely with plain water and then tap it dry.
- Now, you use your finger tip to apply a few drops of olive oil on your affected area and massage it gently.
- You leave it on your face overnight so that it can do its work.
- In the next morning, you wake and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
See more: Natural Homemade Face Packs For Pimples
2. Olive Oil Steam
Olive oil is helpful in treating acne and healing acne scars thanks to its antioxidants that aid in reducing inflammation and promoting faster healing. An easy and simple use olive oil for acne is its steam. The steam is able to open up the pores, thereby making it easier and more effective to unclog them.
- In a large bowl, you pour hot water into it until the bowl is full.
- Then you add several drops of olive oil to the bowl.
- Now, you bend over this bowl and cover you head with a towel while your face is at least 45 centimeters away from this bowl. This helps your face avoid getting burned.
- Next, you retain this position for 10 to 12 minutes before wiping your face with a towel.
- You massage a bit of olive oil gently on the areas affected by acne while the face is still moist.
- Finally, you leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes and watch your face with clean water afterward.
Learn more: Natural Home Remedies For Cracked Heels
3. Lemon Juice And Olive Oil
There are many amazing uses olive oil for acne and the combination of lemon juice and olive oil is one of them. Lemon contains L-ascorbic acid that has astringent properties and powerful antioxidants. They have the ability to shrink the skin pores and fight against the free radicals triggering breakouts. When the oil mixed with lemon juice, this cleanser is an excellent home remedy for healing acne and acne scars.
- In a small bowl, you add 1/8 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil to it.
- You stir them well and gently massage this mixture over your skin in circular motions.
- You allow it to sit on for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse with water.
- The process should be repeated daily until you get the desired results.
- For extra benefit, you can also massage a little of olive oil after watching off.
Read more: Homemade Hair Masks For Damaged Hair
4. Baking Soda And Olive Oil
Another wonderful use olive oil for acne is mixed with baking soda. This mixture is capable of normalizing the skin’s pH as baking soda is amphoteric. It has mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
The mixture aids in exfoliating the skin and removing excess oil. While the vitamin content in olive oil is useful in fading your acne scars, baking soda is able to exfoliate impurities which clog the pores and restore the pH balance of the skin.
- First of all, you made a mixture by adding each one tablespoon of olive oil and baking soda to a bowl.
- Then you wash your face with clean water and apply this mixture to the wet skin.
- You start massaging in circular motions for a few minutes and keep it on for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, you rinse off with warm water and pat it dry.
- You should do the method regularly to say goodbye to acne.
See more: Top 22 Beauty Tips For Men
5. Olive Oil And Garlic
You can mix garlic with olive oil for acne treatment. This is beneficial in curing acne and acne scars because garlic is loaded with the allicin compound that contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Method 1: Internal Consumption
- You take 4 garlic cloves, peel and mince them.
- Then you make a paste by mixing 4 tablespoons of olive oil and blended garlic.
- Now, pour a glass of water into the paste and stir it completely before consuming it.
- You remember to follow this 2 times a day for best results.
- You mix 1 blended garlic and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to make a paste.
- You heat the paste for a couple of minutes and spread it over a toasted bread.
- You can sprinkle a small amount of pepper and parmesan cheese for taste.
- You should try this recipe every day to prevent acne.
Method 2: Topical Application
- You firstly peel and mince a few cloves of garlic.
- Now, you heat an enough amount of olive oil in a small pan.
- Then you add blended garlic to the hot oil and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Next, you start straining the oil and discarding garlic.
- Before going to bed, you massage garlic oil gently on your face in circular motions.
- You keep it on overnight and watch it off with a mild cleanser and warm water in the next morning.
- The solution should be done daily until you notice the improvements.
Learn more: Top 25 Best Beauty Tips For Face Skin
6. Olive Oil With Aloe Vera
When it comes to the brilliant uses of olive oil for acne, the mixture of aloe Vera with this oil will make you satisfied. Olive oil works excellently but you can get its maximum acne healing qualities further when you mix this oil with aloe Vera.
- In a small bowl, you make a mixture by adding 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a couple of tablespoons of fresh aloe Vera jelly to it.
- Now, you mix these ingredients together thoroughly.
- Then you rinse your face with cool water and pat it dry.
- You use a cotton ball to apply this mixture over your face in circular motions.
- Next, you keep it on for 2 to 3 hours until it dries.
- Finish by washing this mask off with warm water.
Read more: How To Moisturize Lips After Using Lipsticks
7. Brown Sugar And Olive Oil For Acne
Another popular use of olive oil for acne treatment is to mix it with brown sugar in order to make a face scrub. The scrub has the ability to cleanse dead skin cells and unclog the pores. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties in olive oil aid in reducing inflammation and preventing infection at the same time.
- You add 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl and mix them well until it gets consistency.
- Now, you wash your face and directly apply it with this paste.
- Then you gently massage this paste in circular motions for several minutes.
- Finally, you wash your face again with cold water.
Note: Make sure that you do not apply this scrub more than 2 or 3 times a month because it may cause the production of excess oil in your skin.
8. Olive Oil With Turmeric Powder
The mixture of turmeric powder and olive oil for acne treatment is great for any types of skin. This is because turmeric has the natural antiseptic action which is beneficial for soothing acne. In addition, this mixture assists in killing bacteria, unclogging the pores and promoting faster the healing process of the skin.
- You put 2 teaspoons of organic turmeric powder in a small bowl.
- Then you add several drops of olive oil to the bowl and mix them well to get a paste like consistency.
- Now, you apply this paste on your face and massage gently for several seconds.
- You allow it to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Next, you massage again by using your wet fingers for a couple of minutes.
- You wash it off with cold water and feel the difference.
9. Tea Tree Oil And Olive Oil
One of the top 19 effective uses of olive oil for acne treatment is to mix it with tea tree oil. The combination is capable of fighting off bacteria and reducing inflammation. Tea tree oil is helpful in penetrating deep into your skin, unblocking and disinfecting the pores thanks to its anti-microbial agents. Steam of these ingredients helps to unclog the pores and enable them to penetrate deeply for bringing relief from the acne.
- At the first procedure, you wash the face and pat it dry.
- Then you prepare a mixture by adding 9 teaspoons of olive oil and 1 tea tree oil teaspoon in a bowl.
- Now, you soak a soft wash cloth in warm water and wring it to remove excess water.
- You place the cloth over your affected area. This will help the mixture to be able to penetrate deeply into your skin pores.
- Next, you apply the solution and gently massage in circular motions.
- You keep it on for a few minutes before rinsing off with water.
- The method should be repeated 2 times daily to achieve the satisfied results.
10. Clove Oil And Olive Oil For Acne
Clove oil has antiseptic and analgesic properties that are useful in fighting off bacteria causing acne. This method is very beneficial in treating back acne.
- You mix extra virgin olive oil and clove oil at a ratio of 10: 1
- Then you use this mixture as a spot treatment by directly applying to breakouts.
- You leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing off with water and patting dry.
- You remember to repeat the process 2 to 3 times in a week until acne is gone.
11. Olive Oil With Apple Cider Vinegar
For extra benefits, you can add apple cider vinegar to olive oil for acne treatment. Apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that are good for acne skin. Apart from that, it is also able to balance the skin’s pH levels.
- You add 1 teaspoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 4 teaspoons of water to a bowl.
- Next, you wash your affected area with warm water and pat it dry.
- By using a cotton ball, you apply the liquid on the area.
- Once it dries, you start massaging olive oil on your face in circular motions and then pat it dry.
- You should follow the method once a day to get an acne free face.
Note: You can dilute apple cider vinegar with more amounts of water because it causes irritation.
12. Sea Salt And Olive Oil For Acne
The sea salt and olive oil scrub is wonderful for treating acne and its scars. The scrub has the ability to moisturize your skin, which will provide a favorable environment for the healing process of acne. This scrub also aids in unclogging the pores. Besides, sea salt helps to exfoliate the impurities as well as the excess oil which clogs up the pores. It also balances the skin’s pH levels.
- You make a scrub by combining 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1 cup of sea salt.
- Then you wash your face with clean water and directly apply the mixture while your face is still wet.
- Now, you massage gently in circular motions for a few minutes.
- Next, you keep it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water.
- You should follow this process 3 times a week to notice the desired results.
Note: You can store the rest of the mixture in your refrigerator for a few days. Moreover, sea salt may dry out your skin completely, particularly for people having dry skin. Excess dryness can also lead to over production of oil. Hence, it is better that you should apply a moisturizer which does not clog the pores and keep the skin’s oil balance.
13. Rosehip Oil And Olive Oil
A mixture of rosehip oil and olive oil for acne treatment will make you amazing because of its effect. The mixture helps to rehydrate your skin, calm inflammation and fade acne scars. The deep penetrating ability of rosehip oil can enable it to be absorbed into your skin easily and bring nourishment to each skin cell. Moreover, this mixture also assists in removing the dead skin cells and getting rid of the particles causing the clogged pores.
- You prepare a mixture by adding one teaspoon of rosehip oil and two teaspoons of olive oil to a small bowl.
- Then you apply the solution to your acne prone skin and gently massage in circular motions.
- You keep it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water.
- The remedy should be applied 3 times daily to get positive effects.
14. Olive Oil With Honey
Another impressive use of olive oil for acne is to mix it with honey. The combination is beneficial in unclogging the pores. Honey has been known as a natural antibacterial which helps to prevent infection. Furthermore, the antioxidants in olive oil and honey aid in killing the free radicals and promoting the healing process of acne scars.
- You firstly take the equal amount of olive oil and honey and mix them well to make this mask.
- Then you clean your face and directly apply this mask for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- By using your wet fingers, you gently massage your face in upward motions.
- Finish by washing your face with cool water to get rid of the remaining honey.
15. Tea Tree Oil, Honey, And Olive Oil For Acne
To get the maximum benefits, you can mix tea tree oil and honey with olive oil for acne treatment. While the antibacterial properties in tea tree oil assist in dealing with acne causing bacteria, honey contains the soothing properties that have the ability to moisturize your skin and reduce the inflammation.
- You make a paste by mixing 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 10 to 12 tea tree oil drops in a bowl.
- Then you directly apply the paste on your acne affected areas.
- Now, you start massaging in circular motions for a few minutes.
- You keep it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water and patting dry.
- Make sure that you repeat this method a daily basis to get rid of strong acne.
16. Olive Oil With Orange/Lemon Peel
One of the top amazing uses of olive oil for acne is to combine it with vitamin C. You can use lemon or orange peel that is a great source of vitamin C to treat acne.
- First of all, you blend the lemon or orange peel in a blender.
- Then you remove it from the blender and put it in a bowl.
- Now, you add a few teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and mix these ingredients well to get a paste.
- Next, you wash your face with water and pat it dry.
- After that, you generously apply this paste all over your face.
- You wait for at least 30 minutes and then rinse off the mask with warm water.
17. Castor Oil And Olive Oil For Acne
The combination of castor oil and olive oil is also an excellent way on how to treat acne. Castor oil contains the ricinoleic that is beneficial for providing relief from redness, swelling, and pain linked to breakouts. Moreover, it also has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. This process is capable of treating cystic acne on your face, chest, and back.
- In a small bowl, you mix equal parts of castor oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Then you apply the mixture directly on your affected area by massaging gently in circular motions.
- Next, you soak a wash cloth in warm water and place the cloth over the application. This helps the mixture penetrate deeply.
- Finally, you remove the cloth, rinse off with warm water, and pat it dry.
- You should repeat this treatment once a day to say goodbye to acne.
18. Olive Oil With Chick Pea Flour
Combining with chick pea flour is also one of the wonderful uses of olive oil for acne treatment. The mask of these ingredients is helpful in removing excess oil from your skin without altering the skin’s pH level. Moreover, it helps to unclog the pores and brighten the skin. It also aids in soothing irritated skin and fading away scars.
- In a small bowl, you mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of chick pea flour to make a paste.
- Now, you apply this paste over your face and keep it on for about 10 to 15 minutes to dry naturally.
- Then you massage gently your face by using wet fingers.
- Finish by washing your face with cool water.
19. Lavender Oil And Olive Oil For Acne
Lavender oil contains the astringent properties that are able to remove impurities from your skin pores, treat acne and rejuvenate the damaged skin. Hence, mixing lavender oil and olive oil for acne is a perfect option you should try.
- You firstly combine a tablespoon of olive oil and 4 to 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Then you gently massage the mixture on your affected areas for a few minutes.
- You keep it on to dry or until it is completely absorbed by your skin.
- You repeat this oil once a day to notice the improvement.
- Note: You can put the remaining mixture in a dry and cool place to use for the next times.
Additional Tips And Precautions
Apart from top 19 uses of olive oil for acne as mentioned, you should follow these additional tips and precautions listed below to get rid of acne and get an acne free face.
- Steaming or washing your skin before applying olive oil for acne treatment can assist in opening up the pores and enabling the goodness of the combination to penetrate deeply.
- Make sure that you rinse off olive oil application completely before going outside to avoid sunburn.
- These uses of olive oil often take at least a week to notice the improvement.
- Do not use olive oil remedies more often than recommended as this can exacerbate acne.
- You can include olive oil in your meal. This will also enhance the results.
- You need to combine olive oil treatments with a healthy diet, proper hygiene, and regular exercise. Doing this regularly is significantly more effective.
- Remember to eat foods and leafy greens high in protein. Avoid carbohydrates and sugar.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to hydrate your skin.
- You can do yoga and meditation in order to reduce stress levels causing acne.
Thank you for reading carefully the writing. We hope you find the olive oil treatments that are suitable for you to get rid of acne. If you apply these solutions within 4 to 6 week but do not get noticeable results, consult your doctor immediately. If you have any questions or unclear contents, leave your comments below.
Apart from uses of olive oil for acne, we suggest you read another article about acne problem, which is how to use mud masks for acne. Mud is also very beneficial in treating acne. Thus, in case you do not have olive oil available in your house, let use mud mask to replace. You can also discover a thousand of effective ways to deal with acne by accessing our main Beauty page.