A toothache is a kind of pain that you feel around the tooth. Generally, toothache pain signals that there is something wrong occurring with your gums or tooth. When you have toothaches, you should never ignore them. If left untreated, toothaches caused due to tooth decay can become worse. Although toothaches are not life-threatening, occasionally, they can be a signal that you are suffering from serious conditions required immediate medical treatment.
List Of 38 Natural Ways On How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Pain People Can Try At Home:
If you are looking for effective yet simple ways on how to get rid of a toothache pain at home, then you should spend time reading this interesting article. Here we from Healthy Guide will show you some of the methods to help you get rid of toothache pain naturally.
I. Underlying Causes Of Toothaches
Tooth decay is known as the most common cause of toothaches. If untreated, tooth decay can develop an abscess. Also, a toothache can be caused due to an impacted tooth. This occurs when one of the teeth is stuck in the gum bone or tissue. Besides, there are some other contributing factors that can cause a toothache. They include
- Gum disease
- Tooth eruption
- Grinding teeth
- Tooth trauma
- An abnormal bite
List of 34 Best Ways To Remove White Spots From Your Teeth Approved By Science will show you some of the best natural treatments for white spots on the teeth, so check it out!
II. What Does A Toothache Feel Like?
Toothache pain can be various, from mild to severe. Also, it can be intermittent or constant. Generally, you can feel these signs and symptoms going along when you have a toothache pain:
- Throbbing pain around the tooth or gum
- Swelling around the tooth or gum
- Achiness ad tenderness around the tooth
- Sharp pain when biting down or touching the tooth
- Painful sensitivity in the tooth when exposing to hot or cold beverages and foods.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should seek emergency treatment:
- Swelling in the jaw or face, which means that your tooth infection may be spreading
- Coughing up blood because it can be a signal that you have lung cancer
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, lightheadedness, and heart attack
Read on 20 Home Remedies For Canker Sores On Tongue, Gums And In Throat to discover some of the natural treatments for canker sores on gums, tongue as well as in throat.
III. How To Stop Toothache Pain Naturally
Now, if you want to stop a toothache effectively and naturally, you can consider applying any of the following home remedies at the comfort of your own home.
1. Consume Foods To Improve Oral Health
This should be the first way on how to get rid of a toothache naturally that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to apply for good. To improve oral health through diet, you need to pay greater attention to your diet plan:
- Reduce the consumption of sugar
- Drink less soda, sugary fruit drinks, sweet tea or sweetened coffee.
- Avoid consuming acidic foods and juices as well as junk foods
- Avoid consuming foods and drinks that are very cold or hot
If you want to know some of the best foods that can help with your bone growth and strength, read on Top 14 Best Foods For Bones Growth And Strength
2. How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Naturally – Onions
When it comes to learning how to get rid of a toothache at home, you should consider making use of onions. Antiseptic and antimicrobial agents found in onions can help you kill off the bacteria causing toothache pain. Simply, you just need to place a small piece of raw onion over your affected area. Leave it on for about 5 minutes or until you feel the improvement.
We all know that turmeric offers many benefits for health and beauty and one of these benefits is its ability to treat toothaches. Studies found that turmeric contains powerful antiseptic, analgesic and antibacterial properties, so you can make use of turmeric to stop pain and simultaneously relieve tooth and gum infections. If you want to use turmeric for treating a toothache pain, you can try taking the following steps:
- Mix 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric in enough water until you create a fine paste.
- Place the turmeric paste over your affected area with the help of a cotton ball
- Otherwise, mix turmeric with some raw honey and then place it over your affected area for added benefits.
To know some of the simple ways to use honey for healthy skin, hair and nails, read on 31 Ways To Use Honey To Get More Gorgeous Skin, Hair, And Nails That Work 100%
Studies found that cloves contain anti-inflammatory, anesthetic, antibacterial and antioxidant properties, so you can consider making use of cloves to stop toothache pain and relieve infection. You can apply any of the following remedies and reapply it 3- 4 times a day for the best results.
- Apply some clove oil directly on your affected tooth with the help of a cotton ball.
- Grind 2 whole cloves and mix ground cloves with some olive oil
- Next, place this clove paste onto your affected area.
- Add a few drops of clove oil in ½ glass of water
- Then, use this solution as your mouth rinse.
5. Baking Soda
If you are unsure about how to get rid of a toothache naturally, then you should take advantage of baking soda. Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties found in baking soda can help you reduce swelling and stop pain caused by tooth or gum infection.
- Soak a cotton ball in a cup of water and then cover it with some baking soda.
- Then, place this cotton ball over your affected area if you want to stop toothache pain.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day for the best results.
- Mix 1 tsp. of baking soda in a cup of lukewarm water
- Then, use this solution to gargle your mouth.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily until your toothache pain disappears.
6. Lemon And Lime
Both lemons and limes can give you an instant relief from a toothache. This is because vitamin C found in both fruits can help to destroy bacteria and enhance your immune system. For toothache relief, you can cut these fruits into slices, and then apply their juice into your sore areas.
7. Oregano Oil
If you want to know how to get rid of a toothache at home by using at-home ingredient, you can try using oregano oil. You can use oregano oil to kill off the bacteria that may cause your toothache pain. It has been found that oregano oil contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which make it a great solution for reducing the swelling and pain. Simply, you can use a Q-tip to apply oregano oil on your affected tooth. For the best result, reapply this home remedy every several hours.
8. Guava Leaves
According to a study about health benefits of guava leaves , thanks to the anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antimicrobial properties, guava leaves can be effective in reducing toothaches, and swollen gums. You can try using the paste made from guava leaves to relieve the inflammation and make your breath fresh and clean.
- Chew a few guava leaves until its juice can help you reduce your toothache pain.
- Place 5 guava leaves into a cup of boiling water
- Then, when this liquid cools down, add sea salt to it for taste.
- After that, use this solution to swish your mouth. Spit it out without swallowing it.
- Repeat this home remedy a few times per day.
9. Salt Water
You can use salt water in order to clear away loose debris as well as harmful bacteria in the mouth. To stop your toothache pain, you can follow the instructions below:
- At first, add some sea salt to a cup of warm water.
- Then, use this solution to swish around your mouth for about 30 seconds
- Spit out the solution without swallowing it because it can have germs and harmful bacteria.
- Reapply this home remedy several times per day.
10. How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Pain – Potatoes
This sounds strange when it comes to knowing how to get rid of a toothache naturally, but it actually does work. A raw potato can help you reduce swelling caused by a toothache. Simply, slice a medium potato piece and keep it against your painful tooth. Alternatively, you can mash some potato with sea salt and then apply this paste onto your painful tooth.
11. Plantain Leaves
Plantain leaves can be used to reduce pain thanks to their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. To release these powerful agents, you need to chew a few plantain leaves. Then, place these leaves over your painful tooth to boost up the pain relief process.
There are other effective ways on how to get rid of a toothache at home in this article. So, you should consider applying any of the following home remedies for good.
It sounds strange when it comes to ways on how to get rid of a toothache pain, but using cinnamon can give you a temporary relief. Antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties found in cinnamon when combined with antiseptic and antimicrobial properties found in honey can help to stop the toothache pain and relieve the gum infection around your affected tooth.
- At first, mix cinnamon powder with honey in a ratio 1:5
- Then, apply this mixture directly on your affected area
- Repeat this home remedy 2- 3 times daily or until you get a relief from your toothache pain.
Wheatgrass contains powerful antibacterial properties, so you can make use of wheatgrass to stop toothache pain. Addition to this, wheatgrass also contains natural antibiotics, which have been found to reduce the risks of developing teeth infections. Simply, chew some wheatgrass so that its juice works on your affected tooth. Also, you can use wheatgrass juice to wash off your mouth. This natural mouth rinse can help to control the infection and simultaneously prevent bacteria from growing in your mouth.
Thyme contains powerful antifungal, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, so there is no wonder that many people make use of thyme to treat toothache and gum disease. Here are 3 simple ways to use thyme to stop a toothache pain.
- At first, make a cup of thyme tea and then sip it for toothache pain relief
- Swirl it around your mouth for about 30 seconds before swallowing itt.
- Dilute thyme essential oil by mixing it with any carrier oil
- Then, use this solution to gargle your mouth
- Chew 2- 3 thyme leaves so that they do not get into your affected tooth
When it comes to learning how to get rid of a toothache at home with natural ingredients, you should not skip cucumber. The hemostatic properties found in cucumber can help you reduce blood circulation to your affected tooth, thereby relieving the toothache pain. According to a study , you just need to place a fresh slice of cucumber over your affected tooth. Also, you can try mashing up cucumber with sea salt. After that, you pack it around your affected area.
16. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is known as a great treatment for toothache pain thanks to its calming effect. To use vanilla extract for reducing a toothache pain, you can take the following steps:
- Place 2- 3 drops of pure vanilla extract onto a cotton pad
- After that, place it on your affected tooth
- Reapply this home remedy a few times per day for the best results.
Garlic is worth mentioning in this list of great ways on how to get rid of a toothache naturally due to its benefits for health. By making use of garlic, you can get an instant relief from your toothache pain. Studies have found that garlic contains antibiotic as well as some other powerful substances that are beneficial for reducing the pain.
- Mix a crushed garlic clove or powdered garlic with some black salt
- After that, apply this mixture on your affected area for relieving the toothache pain
- Otherwise, chew 1- 2 cloves of garlic until you get a relief from your toothache pain.
- Reapply either of these remedies for a few days.
18. Olive Oil
Another natural way on how to get rid of a toothache pain is using olive oil. Actually, extra virgin olive oil offers anti-inflammatory effect, so you can make use of this oil to help you reduce the inflammation and swelling caused due to your toothache. To use virgin olive oil for toothache relief, you can try applying some olive oil over your affected tooth with the help of a cotton ball. For the best results, you should reapply this remedy 2- 3 times daily.
19. Pepper And Salt
It may sound strange to know that the combination of pepper and salt is known as one of the best ways on how to get rid of a toothache at home that you should try out! Apart from giving a relief from toothache pain, this mixture is also a great solution for sensitive tooth thanks to their anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antibacterial properties.
- Mix salt with pepper in a ratio 1: 1 and then add water until you get a fine paste.
- Then, apply this paste over your affected area
- Let it sit on for a few minutes
- Repeat this home remedy daily for several days.
20. Spinach Leaves
According to a research about natural home remedies for toothache , spinach leaves have powerful pain-relieving properties, making them a great solution for pains caused due to a broken tooth. Using spinach leaves for toothache relief is so easy. The only thing you need to do is to soak 2-3 spinach leaves in a bowl of salt water. Then, you place these leaves on the area around your affected tooth and enjoy a relief from your pain.
21. How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Pain – Myrrh
Using a myrrh tincture can help you stop the pain caused by a broken tooth. A study found that myrrh contains astringent properties, so it can be used to help kill off bacteria and reduce inflammation. Now, if you want to know how to get rid of a toothache naturally, you can follow the instructions below:
- Simmer 1 tsp. of powdered myrrh in about 2 cups of water for half an hour
- After that, strain and let it cool down
- Finally, mix 1 tsp. of this mixture in about ½ cup of water and use it to rinse off your mouth.
- Reapply this home remedy about 5- 6 times a day.
22. Ice Cubes
To stop a toothache pain, you can consider using some ice cubes. This is because cold temperature can help you reduce blood flow to your affected tooth, thereby, reducing your toothache pain.
- Use a plastic bag to cover an ice cube
- Then, place this bag on your affected area for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Take a short break in ten minutes and then apply the cold compress again.
23. Ginger And Cayenne Pepper
If you want to stop a toothache from a broken tooth, you can try using the mixture of ground red pepper, powdered ginger and water. To use this mixture as a toothache relief, you can follow the instructions below:
- Mix the equal amounts of ginger powder and red pepper along with some water to form a fine paste.
- Then, apply this paste directly on your affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave it on there and enjoy a toothache pain relief.
- Note: You should not apply this paste to your gum tissues in order to prevent irritation or burning.
24. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been used for treating many oral problems, including tooth infections, toothaches, bleeding gums and gingivitis. It contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory substances, making it a great solution for toothache relief.
- Use 2 tbsp. of coconut oil to swish your mouth for about 20 minutes.
- After that, spit the oil and then use warm water to rinse off your mouth
- Next, brush your teeth with your toothpaste as normal
- Repeat this home remedy twice daily until you feel that your toothache pain is relieved.
25. Bayberry Root Bark
This bark contains antibiotics, flavonoids and tannins, so it can be used to treat toothache pain and other oral problems. When you combine bayberry root bark with vinegar, the paste you have will be able to help you reduce swelling, strengthen the gums and simultaneously reduce toothache pain.
- Mix some ground bayberry bark with 1/4 tsp. of undiluted vinegar to form a fine paste.
- After that, apply this paste onto your affected area
- Let it sit on until you feel that your toothache pain disappears.
- Finally, brush your teeth as normal with warm water and the toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
Another natural way on how to get rid of a toothache pain is using whiskey, which is highly recommended for oral problems. Whiskey also has been used by many people to reduce the symptoms of toothache pain. Simply, you just need to apply some whiskey on your affected tooth with the help of a cotton ball and try to leave it on until you can visit your dentist.
27. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide can be used to treat many oral problems, including toothache pain. It works as a cleansing product to help fight off bacteria. Simply, you just need to use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to swish your mouth for 30 seconds. Then, wash it off with water for several times. To get a toothache pain relief, you should reapply this home remedy 1-2 times per day.
28. Black Seed Oil
Black seed oil can help you reduce your pain and swelling caused by a toothache. Addition to this, this oil also helps to speed up the healing process due to its antimicrobial properties. The only thing you need to do is to apply some black seed oil on your affected tooth with the help of a Q-tip. After that, you can massage it for about 15-20 seconds. Another way for you is to mix 1 tbsp. of black seed oil in lukewarm water and then use the solution to rinse off your mouth. Repeat this home remedy twice daily until your toothache pain is improved.
29. How To Get Rid Of A Toothache At Home – Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has numbing properties, making it a great solution for you to get a toothache relief. There are many forms of peppermint oil that you can consider using, such as tea bags, gels, sprays and creams. To use peppermint oil for reducing toothache pain, simply place a peppermint tea bag in the fridge and then apply it onto your affected area for 17- 20 minutes. Reapply this home remedy regularly for the best results. If you are sensitive to cold, you do not apply this remedy. Also, you can use peppermint essential oil directly if you do not have any peppermint tea available. Just place a cotton ball with some peppermint essential oil on your affected tooth.
30. Tea Tree Oil
In regard to learning how to get rid of a toothache naturally, using tea tree oil may be a great solution for you. To use tea tree oil for toothache pain relief, the only thing you need to do is to rinse your mouth with warm water mixed with some tea tree oil. Actually, many people suffering from toothache pain who used this method have reported positive results.
Eugenol is an anesthetic and it can be used to give you a toothache pain relief. The only thing you need to do is to soak a cotton ball in the eugenol before placing them in your affected tooth. However, there is a note that you should not use this solution too much in order to avoid some unwanted side effects.
32. Tea Bag
The tannins found in the tea can be effective in reducing pain and swelling caused due to a toothache. Simply, you just need to dip a tea bag in a cup of water and then place this tea bag on your affected area. For more cooling effects, you can try keeping a tea bag in the fridge for several hours before using. To get the best results, you should repeat this remedy once or twice daily.
One of the best treatments for how to get rid of a toothache naturally that has been used by many people is using asafetida. Actually, toothaches pain can be reduced naturally by using asafetida.
- Add ½ tsp. of powdered asafetida to about 2 tsp. of lemon juice
- Slightly warm it up and then apply this mixture on your affected tooth
- Fry asafetida in some clarified butter before you place it on your affected area
- Reapply this home remedy every a few hours if required.
34. Use Pain Medications
According to a study about drugs for dental pain , using pain medications can help you reduce the toothache pain quickly and effectively. Just follow the instructions on their label for the proper dosage and use. However, you should avoid putting any of these pain medications directly on your gum tissues. If not, this can irritate the area around your affected tooth. Alternatively, you can try using over-the-counter topical ointments. They can numb the tissues around your affected tooth. Just follow their labels for the correct application.
To discover other great ways on how to get rid of a toothache at home, you should keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply these remedies as soon as possible.
35. How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Pain – Use Chewing Gum
When you have a broken tooth and want to relieve the pain associated with that broken tooth with natural ingredients, you can try covering your crack with a chewing gum. This method may also work in cases of loose filling until you can go to see a dentist. Besides, you should avoid chewing anything with that broken tooth to prevent further discomfort.
Actually, this is known as one of the best ways on how to get rid of a toothache pain that you should not look down, yet try to apply for good, especially if you want to get rid of the pain caused by a toothache.
36. Remove Trapped Foods
When you want to deal with a toothache, cleaning your teeth should be one of the first things for you to do. Try to remove all of the food particles stuck in your tooth in order to help reduce your pain. To do that, you can try using dental floss for food particles removal. After flossing, swish some warm water to rinse off your mouth before spitting it out.
If you want to get rid of a toothache pain, you can consider applying some simple techniques of acupressure . Simply, you just need to use your thumb to apply pressure on your other hand where your thumb meets the back of your index finger. Keep putting pressure for about 2 minutes. Studies found that this technique can help you produce feel-good hormones called endorphins.
38. Use Special Toothbrushes And Toothpaste
This is the last one among great ways on how to get rid of a toothache naturally that we want to reveal in this article today. If your toothache pain is caused due to dental sensitivity, it is recommended that you should use an anti-sensitivity toothbrush and toothpaste with gentle ingredients.
- Use a soft- bristled toothbrush
- Soft toothbrushes are effective in treating gum-related pain.
When you have toothache pain, you should consult a dentist as soon as possible to know how to stop this pain, especially if the home remedies as we mentioned above do not work. But, of course, we hope that you can find some effective ways to stop your toothache from a broken tooth after reading this interesting article. If there are any concerns about the home remedies introduced in How To Category, remember to leave your comments in the comment box below.