Wheezing is caused when you breathe through obstructed or narrowed respiratory airways. And, this sound is clear when you exhale. Wheezing is not a serious health problem, it is just associated with many health problems such as asthma, acute bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, tracheobronchitis, pulmonary edema, etc. If you have wheezing for a long period of time, it can affect your sleep and make you feel irritated and tired. So, you should try to deal with this health condition as soon as possible.
- 39 Home Remedies For Bronchitis Asthma, Mucus & Cough In Babies & Adults/ 21 Best Natural Herbs That Kill Viruses And Clear Mucus From Lungs
List Of Simple Yet Effective Home Remedies For Wheezing Throat:
In this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the most effective home remedies for wheezing throat that you can apply with ease at the comfort of your own home. All of these remedies can give you an instant relief without the use of medications. So, you can feel secure when applying any of these remedies.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Wheezing
When you have wheezing, you can have difficulty in breathing and chest tightness. Besides, other symptoms of wheezing include lack of energy and the feeling of giddiness. Also, it is important for you to know common causes of wheezing before starting to treat its symptoms.
- Some certain health problems
- Severe cough and cold
- Irritated and inflamed vocal cord
- Acid reflux
II. Home Remedies For Wheezing
Wheezing when exhaling can be reduced with natural home remedies. And, now, we will reveal some natural treatments for wheezing that are easy to apply at home. They include:
1. Hot Shower
This is the first one among home remedies for wheezing in adults that we want to reveal in this interesting article. Taking a hot shower can stop the wheezing and make your breathe more comfortably. This is because the warmth of hot shower can make tense airways relaxed while the moisture can thin out the mucus.
- Run a hot shower to create the atmosphere like a sauna.
- Then, stand in the shower for about 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily.
- Alternatively, apply a warm compress to your nose and throat in order to keep your nasal passages clear of obstruction.
Read on 34 Tips How To Get Rid Of Phlegm In Nose, Throat, & Lungs After A Cold to discover some simple ways to remove phlegm from your nose, throat and lungs after a cold.
2. Home Remedies For Wheezing Throat – Honey
Honey contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, so it can be used to remove the bacteria causing wheezing. Simply, you just need to drink 1 tsp. of raw honey several times daily.
List of 31 Best Natural Ways To Use Honey To Improve Skin, Hair, And Nails will show you some of the simple ways to improve skin, hair and nails with the help of raw honey, so check it out.
3. Lemon Juice
When it comes to learning home remedies for wheezing in babies, you should try making use of the juice of lemon. Lemon juice is another simple yet effective way for treating wheezing because it can help control the production of mucus and then, lower the risk of clogged airways. You can drink fresh lemon juice without sugar every morning to keep your airways clear.
To know some of the best benefits of lemon water for human health and beauty, read on Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water – 19 Reasons To Drink It!
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another home remedy for wheezing is apple cider vinegar. This solution can be used to balance the pH level in your body and remove toxins from your body. Also, this kind of vinegar contains essential nutrients that can help with your respiratory system. For the best results, you should use good quality raw apple cider vinegar.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of raw apple cider vinegar in about a cup of lukewarm water.
- Then, add 1 tbsp. of homey and mix it well.
- Drink this solution twice a day.
If you want to know simple ways to treat dandruff and itchy scalp with the help of apple cider vinegar, read on 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss
5. Warm Fluids
If you do not know home remedies for wheezing in infants, you should try to let your infants drink warm fluids. It is very important to keep the body hydrated. Drinking warm fluids can hydrate your body, soothe blocked airways and loosen sticky mucus in order to help you breathe more easily. Drinking warm water with some lemon juice is your best option. Besides, drinking herbal teas will also be helpful. Plus, consuming hot broth-based soup is another great choice.
Garlic is another great home remedy for wheezing, asthma and coughing. This is because this herb contains powerful antioxidants that help neutralize harmful free radicals and simultaneously reduce the contraction of your airways in order to help you breathe more easily.
- Crush 3- 4 garlic cloves and then boil them in a cup of milk or water.
- When it cools, drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Mix a garlic clove with 1 tsp. of raw honey
- Consume it twice a day.
- Take garlic supplements after consulting a doctor.
7. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil can help open your blocked air passages and give an instant relief from wheezing. According to a study , eucalyptus oil contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and decongestant properties. Addition to this, this essential oil also helps promote relaxation and relieves stress, hence relieving the symptoms of wheezing.
- Place some eucalyptus oil onto a paper towel
- Then, keep this paper towel near your head when sleeping in order to help you breathe more easily.
- Add some eucalyptus oil to a cup of boiling water.
- Then, inhale the steam for about 10 minutes for a quick relief.
- Mix some eucalyptus oil with your favorite massage oil
- Then, apply this oil mixture on your chest.
- Place a warm and damp towel over your chest for 10- 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice per day.
This is another one among home remedies for wheezing in adults that you should not look down. Containing anti-inflammatory properties and omega 3 fatty acids, flaxseeds can be used to reduce wheezing and prevent this health problem from occurring. Simply, take 1 tsp. of flaxseed oil extract or chew ½ tsp. of flaxseeds on a daily basis.
9. Home Remedies For Wheezing Throat – Carom Seeds
Carom seeds can be used to protect the body from many infections thanks to its decongestant properties. Simply, you just need to boil some carom seeds in water. Then, you slowly inhale its steam several times per day in order to breathe more easily.
10. Sesame Oil
If you are looking for home remedies for wheezing throat, you should not look down sesame oil, yet try to make use of this oil for good.
- Add about 100ml of sesame oil to ½ tsp. of asafetida and some camphor.
- Mix it well and place it in a dark glass bottle.
- Gently massage this mixture on your chest and upper back to reduce the symptoms of wheezing.
- Repeat this home remedy twice daily.
11. Steam Therapy
For an instant relief from wheezing, you can consider using steam inhalation because it can help reduce obstruction in the airways by loosening thick phlegm and mucus. Besides, infusing the steam with some drops of essential oil can make this remedy better.
- Firstly, fill up a bowl with boiling water.
- Add some drops of essential peppermint or eucalyptus oil.
- Then, lean over the bowl with a towel covered your head.
- Inhale the steam through mouth and nose for more than 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy as needed.
According to a research , fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can enhance the functions of lungs to reduce the asthma attacks. Therefore, eating fish is a great way to increase the efficiency of natural remedies for wheezing.
There are other home remedies for wheezing in infants and babies in this article. You should keep both of your eyes on this interesting article and then try to apply any of these natural treatments as soon as possible.
This is another one among home remedies for wheezing in adults that you should give it a try! Coffee contains caffeine, which can help lower the risk of inflammation and open your blocked air passages. To reduce the symptoms of wheezing, you can drink a cup of black coffee.
Ginger is known as one of the most effective home remedies for wheezing in babies. This is because ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help inhibit contraction and reduce inflammation in your airways. Also, it acts as a muscle relaxant to reduce chest tightness.
- Add 1 tbsp. of ginger slices to about a cup of hot water.
- Cover it and then steep for about 10 minutes before straining it.
- Drink 2-3 cups of warm ginger tea on a daily basis.
- Mix the equal amount of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and raw honey.
- Then, consume 1 tbsp. of this concoction 3- 4 times daily.
This is worth mentioning in the list of home remedies for wheezing in infants that you should consider applying. Yogurt has positive effects on the digestive system. It offers many essential vitamins and healthy bacteria, which are also beneficial for the function of the lungs. So, it is recommended to eat yogurt every day in order to reduce the symptoms of wheezing.
Using ginseng is another great way to relieve the symptoms of wheezing. The compound called ginsenosides in ginseng may have positive effects on the oxidative stress. Besides, ginseng has been found to inhibit the processes within the respiratory tract. To use ginseng as a wheezing treatment, you just need to take the following steps:
- Firstly, boil up 2 cups of water
- Add 1 tsp. of ginseng extract to the boiling water
- Leave it on for several minutes before removing it from the heat
- Consume this solution once daily for about 1 week.
Onion contains anti-inflammatory properties that help you deal with airway construction effectively. Besides, the sulfur content in onion has been found to reduce the risk of inflammation. Plus, its smell is also helpful for treating breathing troubles. It is recommended to include onion in your daily cooking.
18. Home Remedies For Wheezing Throat – Licorice Tea
Licorice tea is one of the best home remedies for wheezing because it helps soothe irritation and inflammation in the air passages quickly. To make licorice tea, you just need to take the following steps:
- Crush a licorice root and mix it with water
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes and then bring it to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Drink the licorice tea on a daily basis.
19. Parsley Leaf
This is another great way among home remedies for wheezing in infants that you should not look down, but try to make use for good. Drinking the parsley leaf tea is also a great solution for wheezing. Also, it will soothe your chest and throat congestion.
Gooseberries are another one in the list of natural home remedies for wheezing that you should try out! Simply, crush some gooseberries and then add raw honey before consuming it. This will help you keep the symptoms of wheezing at bay.
21. Bitter Gourd
In regard to learning home remedies for wheezing, you can try making use of bitter gourd. Add basil and honey to your bitter gourd’s juice and mix it well. This remedy is great for treating wheezing attacks.
22. Mustard Oil
According to a study about mustard oil for asthma , mustard oil can break down the buildup of mucus in your airways and relieve the symptoms of wheezing and asthma. If you mix this oil with camphor, you will be able to get the best result. Now, to know how to use mustard oil for treating the symptoms of wheezing, you just need to follow the instructions below:
- Firstly, have some warm mustard oil
- Mix it with some powdered camphor.
- Gently massage this mixture on your chest for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day.
23. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba is well known for strengthening the lungs. To use this herb for treating wheezing, you just need to add some ginkgo biloba to a cup of hot water and steep it before consuming.
It may sound strange when it comes to learning home remedies for wheezing, but it actually does work. Figs offer many health benefits, including its ability to stop wheezing. With many minerals and vitamins, figs can be used to treat respiratory problems, including breathing troubles. You can soak some figs in water and leave them overnight and then consume them right after waking up. For the best results, apply this remedy on a daily basis.
25. Home Remedies For Wheezing Throat – Sip Lobelia
Being one of the most effective home remedies for wheezing throat, try making sip lobelia tea to control the wheezing and relax the nerves. Nonetheless, you should slowly drink this tea because quickly drinking it can lead to vomiting.
26. Warm Oil Massage
A warm oil massage can help loosen the buildup of mucus in your airways, hence relieving the symptoms of wheezing. Using warm oil to massage your nostrils can also improve breathing.
- Have warm olive oil, sesame oil or coconut oil.
- Gently massage your warm oil on your nostrils and chest for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily
27. Red Chili
This is another one among the best home remedies for wheezing that you should try out, especially if you want to get rid of this condition with natural ingredients. The red chilies can be used to open the air passages, making it one of the best home remedies for wheezing. They also help loosen the mucus in the mouth, throat or lung, hence helping you breathe more easily.
Turmeric is another effective home remedy for wheezing thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. According to a study about turmeric benefits , it helps clear the blocked nasal passages and simultaneously relieve irritation and inflammation. To use turmeric for treating wheezing, you can apply any of the following methods twice a day:
- Add ½ tsp. of turmeric powder to a glass of boiling water.
- Then, drink this solution twice daily.
- Mix 1 tsp. of turmeric powder and 2 tsp. of raw honey
- Then, consume it twice daily.
- Mix ¼ tsp. each of grated ginger, powdered turmeric and powdered black pepper in a cup of water.
- Heat this mixture and allow it to cool.
- Then, strain and consume it.
29. Keep Your House Clean
When it comes to learning home remedies for wheezing in infants and babies, you need to keep your house clean and free of irritants.
- Sweep and vacuum your house regularly.
- Vacuum your house more regularly if you have a pet.
- Use an air purifier and a humidifier in your bedroom
- Wear gloves and a mask when cleaning or vacuuming.
- Avoid smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
30. Avoid Potent Smells
For stressed airways, exposing to strong scents can make your wheezing worse. Therefore, if you suffer from wheezing, you should stay away from these chemical odors. Actually, this trick is effective in preventing the symptoms of wheezing and asthma effectively.
31. Home Remedies For Wheezing Throat – Stay Warm In Cold Weather
Apart from illnesses, cold air is another common cause of damages in the airways and wheezing. Once you can see your breath, the temperature may be freezing and you should use a scarf in order to cover your nose and mouth. Besides, the scarf can prevent respiratory viruses from affecting you.
32. Follow A Healthy Diet
Your diet plays a vital part in the wheezing treatment. Therefore, you need to learn how to use foods to provide your body with vitamins and strengthen your lungs
- Consume more vegetables and fruits in your diet plan
- Get omega-3 fatty acids from fish such as salmon, sardines, and mackerel or fish oil capsules.
- Avoid processed foods with preservatives and additives.
This is the last way among home remedies for wheezing throat that we want to mention in this article. Breathing exercises are beneficial for the capacity and strength of your lung. You can join in yoga or meditation classes. Besides, cardiovascular exercises have also positive effects on your health.
When your children have wheezing, you should seek medical help immediately. Besides, when wheezing occurs along with the following symptoms, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. These symptoms include:
- Chest pain
- Dizziness 
- A severe headache
- Rapid breathing
- Bluish skin
- Breathing difficulties
Other effective tips when it comes to learning home remedies for wheezing:
- Have enough rest and night’s sleep.
- Avoid eating ice cream and drinking cold drinks.
- Stay away from stove or wood-burning fireplace
- Avoid smoking and stay away from smokers
- Eat more frequent meals and do not eat right before going to sleep.
After reading this article about natural treatments for wheezing throat, we hope that all of my readers, especially those who are suffering from wheezing can find some home remedies for wheezing helpful. Besides, if you know other effective remedies, feel free to share them with us by leaving your comments below. For further simple yet effective tips for beauty and health, remember to visit our How To Category.