Bronchitis is a swelling and inflammation of the bronchial tubes between the lungs and the nose. It may be caused by a bacteria, virus or particles irritating the bronchial tubes. People with bronchitis often take medications to manage the bronchitis symptoms. However, you can try natural home remedies for bronchitis to get an instant relief.
- 43 Best Home Remedies For Post Nasal Drip In Toddlers, Babies, & Adults/ 31 Tips How To Treat Nasal Polyps In Children & Adults Without Surgery
List Of Home Remedies For Bronchitis Asthma, Cough And Mucus:
Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best home remedies for bronchitis that you can apply with ease at home. So, if you are suffering from the symptoms of bronchitis and want to get rid of these symptoms with the help of natural ingredients, you should keep both of your eyes on this interesting article and then try to apply one or more of the following remedies for good.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis is often caused by viruses and antibiotics cannot kill viruses. Meanwhile, chronic bronchitis is often caused by cigarette smoking. Besides, dust, air pollution and toxic gases can also contribute to this health condition.
Bronchitis causes persistent cough, chest pain and wheezing. Also, bronchitis is known as a chest cold as it often occurs after you have had symptoms of the common cold. The main symptom of this condition is a persistent cough that lasts until the bronchial tubes heal.
Some symptoms of bronchitis are:
- A cough with mucus
- Chest pain
- Muscle aches
- Shortness of breath
- Nasal congestion
- Difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Vomiting and diarrhea
List of 32 Tips How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose & Mucus In Baby & Adults Fast will show you some of the best tips that can help you treat runny nose and clear mucus in babies and adults, so check it out!
II. Home Remedies For Bronchitis
Many people treat bronchitis with antibiotics, but in some cases, they are completely ineffective and even lead to some unwanted side effects. So, you can try applying some of the following natural remedies in order to reduce swelling and relieve painful cough.
This is the first way among home remedies for bronchitis asthma that we want to mention in this article. Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties that are great for reducing the cough caused by bronchitis.
- Add 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric to a glass of milk.
- Bring it to a boil and drink it 2- 3 times per day.
- Drink it on an empty stomach for the best results.
Read on 21 Best Natural Herbs That Kill Viruses And Clear Mucus From Lungs to discover some of the best natural herbs that may be effective in killing viruses and clearing mucus from lungs.
2. Home Remedies For Bronchitis- Honey
Honey can be used to deal with the cough associated with bronchitis, making it one of the greatest home remedies for bronchitis cough that you should try out. The antibacterial and antiviral properties found in honey can soothe the throat while honey can speed up the immune system.
- Add 1 tsp. of raw honey to your regular tea
- Alternatively, add some raw honey to a cup of warm lemon water.
- Note: This remedy is not ideal for those with gallbladder stones, stomach ulcers, hyperacidity, or obstructive jaundice.
If you want to know some of the most effective tips that can help you prevent asthma attack in both children and adults, read on 16 Tips How To Prevent Asthma Attack In Toddlers, Infants, & Adults
3. Salt Water
Gargling with salt water a few times daily is great for treating many bronchitis symptoms. It can relieve the inflammation and irritation in the throat and remove some of the mucus from the throat. Simply, add 1 tsp. of salt to a cup of warm water and then use this solution to gargle the throat and repeat this process as required. Just take note that using too much salt can result in a burning sensation and using too little cannot give you a relief.
To know some of the best tips that can help you remove phlegm from nose, throat and lungs after a common cold, read on 34 Tips How To Get Rid Of Phlegm In Nose, Throat, & Lungs After A Cold
Lemons are also a great home remedy for bronchitis since it can help kill off bacteria and loosen mucus in your respiratory system thanks to its medicinal properties. Lemon juice can relieve the sore throat and give you a quick relief from acute bronchitis. Now, you can apply any of the following recipes if you want to deal with the symptoms of bronchitis using lemons in your kitchen.
- Put a lemon rind in a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Drink this solution
- Put a lemon wedge in a cup of boiling water
- Strain this mixture and consume it.
- Add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to a glass.
- Add some lukewarm water to the glass
- Mix it well and use it to gargle daily.
Read More: Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water – 19 Reasons To Drink It!
If you are looking for home remedies for bronchitis mucus, you should not skip this remedy. Garlic contains antibiotic and anti-viral properties, so it can be used to treat bronchitis. Now, if you want to make use of garlic to reduce the severity of the bronchitis symptoms, you just need to take the following steps:
- Peel and chop 3 garlic cloves.
- Place these garlic cloves in a cup of milk and boil it up.
- Drink this solution at night before you go to bed.
6. Garlic And Honey
Garlic contains antibiotic properties that can help stimulate the recovery. Meanwhile, honey helps relieve swelling, and soothe the air passages.
- Finely chop a garlic clove and add 1 tsp. of raw honey to the garlic.
- Swallow this mixture without chewing it.
- Take this twice per day.
Learn More: 31 Best Natural Ways To Use Honey To Improve Skin, Hair, And Nails
Ginger is often used to relieve the symptoms of common cold, and it can also be used to deal with bronchitis. According to a study about health benefits of ginger root , the immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties found in ginger can help reduce irritation, inflammation and swelling associated with bronchitis.
- Mix ½ tsp. each of cinnamon, cloves and ground ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Stir it well and then drink it for several days.
- Add 1 tsp. each of black pepper and powdered ginger to a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for several minutes,
- Optionally, add some honey for taste.
- Drink this solution twice per day.
- Mix 1 tsp. each of pepper, powdered ginger and cloves.
- Add honey or milk for taste
- Drink this solution three times per day.
8. Home Remedies For Bronchitis- Essential Oils
Lavender oil is very soothing for both the body and mind. It will help you fall asleep thanks to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Thyme oil contains antifungal and antibacterial properties. Cinnamon bark oil contains powerful antifungal properties that help fight against respiratory tract infections. When you combine all of these essential oils, you will have an effective home remedy for bronchitis.
- Mix 4 drops each of thyme oil, lavender oil and cinnamon bark oil in 2-3 tsp. of olive oil or jojoba oil.
- Slightly warm up this oil mixture before massaging it on your back and chest for several minutes.
- Leave it on without wiping it away.
- Repeat this home remedy every night before you go to bed.
See More: Top 34 Tips On How To Improve Skin Naturally With Oils
Onions have expectorant effect, which helps dissolve phlegm and mucus, hence giving a relief from bronchitis and preventing further buildup. Simply, you just need to eat 1 tsp. of raw onion juice in the morning when you have an empty stomach. Also, you can add some onions to your salad or other dishes. Alternatively, you can try this home remedy at the comfort of your own home.
- Chop the onions and then cook them in some water.
- Strain the water and wrap the onions with a towel to form a poultice.
- Then, place this onion poultice on your chest for about 10-12 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy twice per day.
10. Sesame Seeds
When it comes to learning home remedies for bronchitis in babies and toddlers, you should consider making use of sesame seeds. Sesame seeds have many medicinal properties, which help deal with the symptoms of bronchitis and simultaneously relieve chest pain.
- Add ½ tsp. of powdered sesame seed in 2 tbsp. of water
- Mix it well and take it twice daily.
- Mix 1 tsp. each of sesame seeds, raw honey and linseed or flaxseed with a pinch of common salt.
- Consume this mixture daily before you go to bed.
11. Eucalyptus Oil
Steam therapy is really effective for those who are suffering from the symptoms of bronchitis. And, using eucalyptus oil can help soften the mucus and boost up the healing process thanks to its antibacterial properties.
- Add some eucalyptus oil to a cup of hot water
- Use a towel to cover your head so that you can take in the steam.
- Alternatively, apply some eucalyptus oil externally on your chest to expel the mucus and simultaneously enhance the respiratory system.
Do you want to discover other effective home remedies for bronchitis cough? If your answer is “yes”, continue to read this interesting article and then apply any of these home remedies for good.
When you are suffering from the symptoms of bronchitis, you should try to keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water and clear liquids. Aim at drinking at least 8 glasses of water on a daily basis. You can also drink vegetable juices and fruit juices. Every morning, you can drink a glass of water mixed with some lime juice and honey. Also, keep in mind that you should not drink alcohol or caffeine because they can result in dehydration, hence making the condition worse.
According to a research , steam can help soften the mucus in the passages, making it easier to be removed from the body. Besides, steaming also helps relieve other bronchitis symptoms like difficulty in breathing and wheezing.
- Use a clean towel to cover your head and inhale the steam from a large bowl of hot water.
- Add some of your favorite essential oil for relaxing effects.
- Inhale the steam for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Follow this home remedy twice a day.
14. Epsom Salt
If you do not know home remedies for bronchitis in babies and toddlers, you can consider using Epsom salt. Taking an Epsom salt bath is very effective in relieving the bronchitis symptoms, especially for those who have acute bronchitis.
- Add 2-3 pounds of Epsom salt to your warm bathwater.
- Once the salt is completely dissolved, soak yourself in the bathwater for about 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice a week if you get chronic bronchitis. For those who have acute bronchitis, repeat it nightly or every other night.
15. Home Remedies For Bronchitis- Thyme
Thyme can also be used to treat many health problems. It can kill off the bacteria causing the infection and simultaneously treat the symptoms of bronchitis. In order to treat the symptoms of bronchitis, you can follow the instructions below:
- Add ½ tsp. of thyme to a cup of hot water
- Steep it for about 4-5 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink this warm decoction.
- Optionally, add some honey for taste
- Drink this tea 2- 3 times per day.
16. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains powerful antibiotic properties and it has been used to treat the symptoms of bronchitis. Besides, its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce congestion in your chest and prevent the infection from progressing.
- Add 5-10 drops of oregano oil to about 4 oz. of water
- Mix it well and then drink this solution.
- Repeat this remedy twice per day until you get an improvement.
17. Goldenseal Root
This is another one among home remedies for bronchitis in adults that you should try giving it a try. Goldenseal has been used to treat infection and inflammation, including bronchitis. Its antibacterial properties can help fight against many bacteria.
- Add 1-2 tsp. of goldenseal root to 1 ¼ cup of water
- Simmer it on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink this warm decoction.
- Drink 3-4 cups of goldenseal root tea daily.
According to a study about respiratory system , mullein can be used to treat respiratory problems thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Actually, using mullein is known as one of the greatest home remedies for bronchitis mucus that you should not look down, but try to use for good.
- Add 1-2 tsp. of dried mullein flowers to a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then, strain the decoction and optionally add honey for flavor.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this warm tea daily for a few days.
19. Echinacea Leaves
This herb can be used to enhance the immune system to fight against respiratory tract infection. Especially, this herb contains a compound called saponins that helps loosen phlegm and relieve the inflamed air passages.
- Add 2 tsp. of dried echinacea leaves to a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink 2-3 cups of this herbal tea daily
- Repeat this remedy daily for a couple of days.
20. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has cooling and calming effects on the body. Besides, it also contains antimicrobial properties that help clear the respiratory tract. To use peppermint oil as a natural treatment for bronchitis, you just need to inhale peppermint oil from the bottle. Alternatively, you can apply a few drops of peppermint oil to your chest using a warm compress.
Ginseng is known as an herbal supplement, which can help enhance lung function and treat respiratory conditions. It can also help kill off bacteria and deal with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Additionally, it also helps relieve inflammation and enhance immune system.
22. Astragalus Root
This may sound strange when it comes to learning home remedies for bronchitis asthma, but it actually does work. Astragalus root contains powerful immune-enhancing properties, so it can be used to strengthen weak lungs and simultaneously fight against infections, including bronchitis.
23. Orange Juice
Orange juice is known as one of the most effective home remedies for bronchitis. This is because it is packed with vitamin C as well as other essential nutrients, which help enhance the immune system, hence relieving the inflammation associated with bronchitis. Simply, add ½ tsp. of crushed fresh almonds to a glass. Then, add orange juice and consume it nightly.
24. Home Remedies For Bronchitis- Hot Toddy
When it comes to learning home remedies for bronchitis mucus, you should not ignore this home remedy. Now, if you want to apply a hot toddy to deal with the symptoms of bronchitis, you should take the following steps:
- Have a pot packed with water and bring it to a boil
- Place a teabag in the pot and steep it for about 10 minutes.
- Then, add a pinch of powdered cinnamon to it.
- Add a little alcohol and honey and mix it well
- Finally, consume this liquid.
This is worth mentioning in this list of home remedies for bronchitis in babies and adults that has been recommended by healthcare providers. Almonds contain many essential nutrients, making them an effective home remedy for bronchitis. To use almonds as a natural treatment for bronchitis, you can consider applying any of the following recipes:
- Simply, chew some almonds.
- Crush about 3 almonds and place them in a cup
- Then, mix 1 tsp. of warm honey to the cup
- Sprinkle a pinch of powdered cinnamon over the cup
- Finally, consume this mixture.
- Crush some almonds to create the almond powder.
- Add some lemon juice to the powder.
- Mix it well and consume it once daily.
The mixture of ammonium chloride, spinach juice, water and raw honey can give you a relief from bronchitis.
- Wash 0.05g of spinach leaves before extracting the juice using a blender.
- Add ¼l of water, a pinch of ammonium chloride and 1 tsp. of raw honey.
- Consume this solution to relieve the symptoms of bronchitis.
There are other effective home remedies for bronchitis in adults and babies in this article. So, keep reading this interesting article and then try some of these natural remedies for good.
27. Castor Leaves
Castor leaves can be used to treat the bronchitis symptoms. Actually, using castor leaves is known as one of the best home remedies for bronchitis that you should know and then make use at home for good.
- Wash some castor leaves and cook them in a pan without water for about 10 minutes.
- Allow them to cool down naturally.
- Then, place them on your chest and leave them on overnight.
- Repeat this home remedy daily until you achieve an improvement.
28. Cabbage Juice
The cabbage juice is packed with micronutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals, which can give you a relief from bronchitis. It can be used to relieve the severity of wheezing, coughing as well as the pain in your chest.
- Wash a cabbage leaf carefully and place it in a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes so that the leaf becomes soft.
- Then, pour a little honey on one side of the cabbage leaf.
- Place the side covered by honey on your chest.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- Repeat this remedy daily until the symptoms have gone.
- Wash some cabbage leaves before extracting the juice by using a blender.
- Drink the cabbage juice twice daily for about 3 consecutive days.
29. Slippery Elm
This is another great one among home remedies for bronchitis asthma that you should try out! Slippery elm contains healing properties, making it a great home remedy for reducing cough and soothing irritated airways. You can make a slippery elm tea or take liquid extracts.
Cinnamon is known as a great addition to honey when dealing with the symptoms of bronchitis. Cinnamon can help you get rid of respiratory conditions and reduce inflammation and swelling associated with bronchitis. Simply, you mix raw honey, cloves, ground cinnamon, black pepper, ginger, and cardamom in your morning tea and then consume it throughout the day.
31. Cayenne pepper
If you are looking for home remedies for bronchitis cough, you should try making use of cayenne pepper. Add some cayenne pepper to water and then consume it twice a day. This method can help reduce the pain and loosen the phlegm caused by bronchitis thanks to its capsaicin content.
32. Licorice Roots
You can drink licorice tea to relieve the annoying symptoms of bronchitis. This herbal tea can help loosen mucus and relieve the sore in the throat. Here is the instructions for using licorice roots as a natural treatment for bronchitis:
- Place some licorice roots in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and consume 2 cups of this herbal tea daily until you see an improvement.
33. Plantain Leaves
This is another way among best home remedies for bronchitis that you should not miss, yet try to make use of plantain leaves in order to get rid of the symptoms of bronchitis soon. Consuming some plantain leaves or inhaling the steam using plantain leaves can help you treat the annoying symptoms of bronchitis.
- Wash some plantain leaves and place them in a teapot.
- Add some boiling water and let it steep for about 10 minutes
- Strain and then consume it daily.
- Place some lean plantain leaves in a bowl of boiling water
- Cover the bowl and your head with a clean cloth.
- Deeply inhale the steam from the bowl.
34. Home Remedies For Bronchitis- Mustard
In regard to learning home remedies for bronchitis in babies and adults, you should consider using mustard. Mustard is actually a great way to fight against the symptoms of bronchitis without causing any side effect.
- Place dry mustard and flour in a large bowl in a ratio 1:4.
- Add some water to the bowl to form a runny paste.
- Then, spread the paste on a cloth before covering it on your chest.
35. Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps to improve the immune system and relieve the symptoms of respiratory issues caused due to viruses. According to a study , it is recommended to take about 4,000mg of vitamin C daily to deal with common cold symptoms. Since bronchitis often starts out as a common cold, you should consider using vitamin C to deal with this health condition before it becomes worse. Apart from taking vitamin C supplements, you can include vitamin C- rich foods in your daily diet plan. Some great food options for you are oranges, kiwi, kale, strawberries, red peppers, grapefruit, guava, green peppers and broccoli.
36. Use A Humidifier
Using a humidifier can help soften the mucus and relieve the symptoms of bronchitis. Actually, the humidification therapy is inexpensive and effective for those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Simply, place a humidifier in your bedroom until your bronchitis symptoms go away.
37. Consume Anti-inflammatory And Probiotic-Rich Foods
In order to fight an infection, you should try to consume more anti-inflammatory foods to help improve the immunity and simultaneously reduce swelling. Consume plenty of raw vegetables and fruits, which offer essential vitamins and minerals without producing mucus.
Besides, you should also consume probiotic-rich foods as they help improve immune system. Some great options for you include cultured vegetables, kefir, kombucha, cultured yogurt, etc.
38. Quit Smoking
In order to reduce your risk of developing bronchitis, you need to quit smoking as soon as possible. Some studies have found that current smokers have higher risk of developing chronic bronchitis than those who have never smoked. Also, you need to avoid secondhand smoke as well as other lung irritants like vapors, dust, fumes and air pollution.
39. Home Remedies For Bronchitis- Get Some Rest
This is the last but very important one among home remedies for bronchitis in adults that we want to mention in this article today. In order to fight an infection, you need enough sleep to have a healthy immune system. According to a study, people who have sleep deprivation  are more vulnerable to the bacteria and virus than those who have at least 7 hours of night sleep.
Try some of the home remedies for bronchitis above, but if your signs and symptoms become worse, you should see a doctor.
After reading this article about simple yet effective home remedies for bronchitis asthma, we hope that you can find some solutions for your condition and get a relief from bronchitis soon. Actually, all home remedies as mentioned above are actually effective in reducing the severity and duration of bronchitis symptoms without causing unwanted side effects, so you can feel secure when applying any of these remedies.
If you know other great home remedies for bronchitis in babies, toddlers and adults, feel free to share them with us by dropping your comments below. Also, if you want to know more about simple yet effective tips for health and beauty, visit our How To Category.
Leave a Reply