Smelly shoes and funky feet can cause annoyance and embarrassment. This condition often occurs when the feet sweat and then the sweat cannot evaporate because you are putting on shoes or socks. Bacteria causing bad smell grow when they feed on the dead skin cells and sweat, creating the foul smell. So, it is very necessary for you to find the ways to freshen smelly shoes as soon as possible.
- 25 Home Remedies For Warts On Face, Neck, Hands And Feet/ How To Heal Cracked Heels In Winter Overnight – 24 Remedies
List Of Simple Ways On How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor Fast:
To treat smelly feet, there are many ways, but home remedies on how to get rid of foot odor fast are highly recommended by many people. Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best methods for foot odor removal. However, at first, you should know some of the common causes of the foot odor.
I. Causes Of The Smelly Feet
People can have smelly feet at anytime, but it is more common in teenagers and pregnant women due to their hormonal changes. Also, a person who has stress or stands on his feet the whole day is likely to have more sweat. Wearing shoes and socks increases the production of sweat, so the feet will remain damp for a long time. These dark and moist conditions are ideal for the bacterial growth. These bacteria produce isovaleric acid, which gives the smelly odor to your feet. The smell is various, depending on the production of chemical substances and species of bacteria.
Besides, lack of proper hygiene is also a cause of smelly feet. People who do not change their socks or wash their feet regularly can create an ideal environment for bacteria causing bad smell to grow.
List of Top 30 Best Home Remedies For Sweaty Palms And Feet will show you some of the best ways that can help you resolve sweaty palms and feet naturally, so check it out!
II. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor Fast – Top 39 Simple Methods:
Many natural treatments are worth trying to treat annoying foot odor. To achieve good results, you should follow them regularly for a certain period of time.
1. Examine Your Shoes
This should be the first way on how to get rid of foot odor in shoes that we want to mention in this article. When you want to treat the foot odor, the first thing you should do is to examine your shoes. If you have damp insoles, you can take them out and then dry them. Otherwise, you can purchase new insoles formulated to prevent bacterial growth. For example, you can purchase cedar wood insoles. The smell of cedar is fresh and crisp, making it a great option for eliminating odor and inhibiting bacterial growth.
2. Dry Out Or Freeze Your Shoes
To treat shoe odor, you need to keep your shoes dry because it helps prevent the growth of bacteria causing odor. You can place your shoes in a sunny spot or near a heater. If you want to dry them out faster, you can take out the laces and simultaneously lift the tongue up and out. Alternatively, you can place your shoes in a plastic bag before putting them in the freezer overnight. In the next day, place them in the sunlight.
3. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor Fast – Black Teabags
If you are unsure about how to get rid of foot odor in socks, then you can take advantage of black teabags. Black tea helps kill off bacteria causing foot odor and prevents further growth thanks to itscontent of tannic acid. Black tea helps close your skin pores, thereby reducing sweating.
- Firstly, place 2 black teabags in about 3 cups of boiling water.
- Mix the hot solution with regular water to reduce its temperature.
- Then, place your feet in the solution for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a week.
Read on How To Get Rid Of Clogged Pores On Arms And Legs – 21 Tips to discover some of the best home remedies that can help you unclog skin pores on your arms and legs.
4. Epsom Salt
According to a study about ways to use Epsom salt at home , using Epsom salt is known as an effective way on how to get rid of foot odor in socks. It can help you fight microbial infection and neutralize the foot odor. Also, having a foot bath with some Epsom salt also soothes your aching feet.
- Firstly, add 2 tsp. of Epsom salt to a basin of warm water.
- Soak your feet in the salt water for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy daily, before going to bed
5. Baking Soda
If you want to know how to get rid of foot odor in socks by using natural ingredients, you can go nowhere but your kitchen. Baking soda is well-known for its abilityto eliminate foot odor. This is because it can help inhibit bacteria growth and neutralize the pH of sweat.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of baking soda in 1l of warm water
- Then, soak your feet in the solution for about 15- 20 minutes
- Repeat this home remedy every night for about 7 days.
- Alternatively, sprinkle some baking soda in your socks and shoes before wearing them.
To know some of the best ways to use baking soda to boost up your weight loss, read on 7 Tips On How To Use Baking Soda To Speed Up The Weight Loss Process Searching On Internet
Vinegar is good for removingfoot odor because it can create an acidic environment where bacteria causing foot odor cannot survive.
- Add ½ cup of vinegar to about 8 cups of hot water.
- Then, soak your feet in this solution for about 10-15 minutes.
- Finally, wash your feet with clean water and soap for vinegar smell removal.
7. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has been found to kill off bacteria causing foot odor. Addition to this, lavender oil contains antifungal and antioxidantproperties that are good for foot odor treatment.
- Firstly, put some lavender essential oil in a basin of warm water.
- Soak your feet in this basin for about 15- 20 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy twice per day for a few days.
If you want to know some of the natural oils that you should include in your skincare routine, read on List Of Natural Oils For Skin Care – Top 30 Great Oils To Apply
8. Cedarwood Oil
Cedarwood oil contains antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties, which make this essential oil a solution for reducing foot odor. For the better results, you can combine cedarwood oil with coconut oil. Coconut oil contains skin-rejuvenating agents and lauric acid that kills bacteria. According to a research about uses for coconut oil , coconut oil is used as a base ingredient in a variety of skincare products.
- Firstly, mix 1 tbsp. of pure coconut oil with 5 drops of cedarwood oil.
- Apply this solution on your feet and gently massage.
- Leave it on for a few minutes before wearing socks.
- Reapply this remedy once daily for about 7 days.
9. Essential Oils
Essential oils can be used to take away the smell from shoes. You can use any oil of your choice and put a few drops of the oil into your shoes. Let it sit on for overnight to eliminate the smell from shoes. Alternatively, you can use essential oils to make a foot soak. For example, you can mix 5-8 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil to ½ a basin of warm water. Dip your feet in the basin for about 20 minutes. Repeat this remedy daily for the best results.
10. Tea Tree Oil
In regard to learning how to get rid of foot odor in socks, using tea tree oil is a great option for you. Using tea tree oil can help prevent the foot odor caused due to fungal infection.
- Fill your foot basin with warm water and dip your feet in it for about 10 minutes.
- Then, wash your feet using a mild soap.
- Mix 6 drops of pure tea tree oil with 1 tsp. of almond oil.
- After that, apply this oil mixture between your toes and gently massage for a few minutes.
- Finally, wash it off using warm water.
- Include this home remedy in your skincare routine 3 times a day.
- Note: Never use undiluted tea tree oil on your skin because it can cause skin irritation.
11. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor- Talcum Powder
Being astringent in nature, talcum powder can help dry out your sweat, thereby reducing the foot odor effectively. Simply, the only thing you need to do is to sprinkle some talcum powder generously on your feet. Repeat this home remedy2- 3 times per day for a couple of days. Alternatively, you can directly sprinkle talcum powder in your shoes.Just note that you should not use talcum powder with extremely strong scent.If you do not have talcum powder available in your house, you can use baby powder instead.
If you are looking for 100% certain way on how to get rid of foot odor in socks, you should not skip alum. Alum has been found to prevent the growth of bacteria causing foot odor thanks to its astringent and antiseptic properties.
- Have a cup of warm water and then add 1 tsp. of alum powder to the water.
- Then, wash your feet with this solution.
- Soak your feet in the solution for 15-20 minutes and then pat them dry.
- Finally, sprinkle some powdered alum on your feet.
- Repeat this home remedy once a day.
13. Sugar Scrub
To treat foot odor effectively, the first thing you need to do is to remove dead skin cellsbecause they can cause a bacterial outbreak.
- Firstly, mix 91% isopropyl alcohol, sugar with clean water in a ratio 5:3:1.
- Add sugar to the water so that the amount of sugar is greater than that of water.
- Then, use this mixture to scrub your feet for about 5-10 minutes
- Finally, wash your feet using clean water.
- Repeat this home remedy thrice a week.
14. Boric Acid
Using boric acid is another great way that can help you killoff bacteria causing foot odor, thereby reducing foot odor. Simply, you just need to dust some boric acid powder on your feet for several days to eliminate foot odor. Alternatively, you can mix ½ cup each of white vinegar and boric acid in about 2 cups of clean water. After that, spray this solution into the inside of your shoes.
There are other effective ways on how to get rid of foot odor in socks in this interesting article. So, you should keep both of your eyes on the rest of this article and then try to apply one or more of these ways for good.
15. Ginger Root
Ginger is also an effective way on how to get rid of foot odor fast because it can inhibit the growth of bacteria causing foot odor.
- Have a puree from a medium-sized ginger root
- Then, steep the puree in a cup of boiling water for about 10-15 minutes
- Strain this solution and then apply it on your feet
- Repeat the remedy every night before going to bed for 2 weeks.
Cornstarch can absorb perspiration. To use cornstarch for eliminating foot odor, you just need to rub some cornstarch powder on your feet. Alternatively, you can also sprinkle cornstarch powder inside your shoes. Both of these ways will help prevent sweating and remove the foot odor.
17. Lemon Teabags
Lemon can work as a foot odor remover, making it worth mentioning in this list of great ways on how to get rid of foot odor in socks. Simply, soak 3 lemon tea bags in a basin of warm water. Then, soak your feet in this solution for 15 minutes. After that, wash it off and gently massage it with a moisturizer. Leave it overnight.
Borax can be used as one of the best ways on how to get rid of foot odor that you should not skip. Simply, add ½ cup each of vinegar and borax powder in about 2 cups of clean water. Then, you use this solution to spray inside your shoes. Otherwise, you can try sprinkling some borax powder inside your shoes. Let them sit on for several hours.
19. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor- Kitty Litter
This sounds strange when it comes to learning how to get rid of foot odor in shoe, but it actually does work. Kitty litter is deodorized with some pleasant fragrances, so it can be used to eliminate foot odor. Simply, you just need to fill your socks with kitty litter and then place them in your shoes. Let it sit on overnight and in the next morning, throw out the kitty litter. After cleansing your shoes, wear them as normal.
20. Rubbing Alcohol
It is known as one of the best ways on how to get rid of foot odor in shoes. It helps eliminate the foul smell and kill off the bacteria causing foot odor.
- Firstly, add water and rubbing alcohol to a spray bottle.
- Then, spritz the solution inside the shoe.
- Repeat this remedy regularly to inhibit the bacterial growth.
- Alternatively, use this mixture to wash your shoes.
- Note: Avoid coating alcohol on the outside of your shoe, especially if you have a pair of leather shoes.
21. Pumice Stone
Another natural tip on how to get rid of foot odor in socks is using pumice stone. According to a study , it aids to remove the dead cells from the skin, thereby preventing the bacterial growth in your feet. Simply, rub a pumice stone on your feet while taking a bath.
Oatmeal contains natural exfoliating properties, making it a great solution for dead skin cell removal. The removal of dead skin cells will inhibit bacterial growth.
- Firstly, mix 2 tsp. of oatmeal in a cup of warm water.
- Then, scrub your feet with this solution for about 10 minutes.
- Wash them off with warm water and pat them dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat this process 4-5 times per week.
When it comes to learning how to get rid of foot odor in socks, cloves are a really amazing treatment for smelly feet. Placing a few cloves inside your shoes can help remove foot odor. Alternatively, you can directly pour some clove oil inside your shoes.
Vodka helps kill off bacteria causing foot odor. More importantly, it is odorless when it dries out. You can either directly apply it inside of your shoes or dilute it with some water before using. Besides, it can also help treat feet infections.
Radish can be used to eliminate the foot odor thanks to its high contents ofessential vitamins, zinc, and phosphorus, which help inhibit bacterial activity. Now, in order to use radish as a foot odor treatment, you can apply either of the following recipes:
- Grind 6 radishes to take out their juice and mix the juice with warm water.
- Then, pour this mixture into a basin.
- Soak your feet in this solution for 20 minutes and then pat them dry.
- Repeat this process regularly to eliminate the stinky feet.
- Firstly, extract the juice from 12 radishes
- Add 1/4 tsp. of glycerin to the juice and then pour it into a clean spray bottle
- Use the spray bottle whenever you experience foot odor.
26. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor- Sage Leaves
Another natural way on how to get rid of foot odor is using sage leaves, which is highly recommended for skin problems. Sage leaves help eliminate foot odor caused by sweat thanks to their content of tannic acid. Simply, you can put some ground sage into your shoes. Alternatively, you can dip your feet in some sage tea before you go to bed.
27. Lemon, Orange and Grapefruit Peels
If you have lemon, orange or grapefruit peels, you should not throw them away. Instead, you can try making use of them to eliminate the terrible smell from shoes. Simply, place these fruit peels in your shoes and let them sit on overnight.
Rosemary contains antibacterial properties, which help prevent the growth of bacteria causing foot odor. Moreover, it also contains powerful astringent agents, which help prevent the overproduction of sweat.
- Firstly, have a foot basin with some boiling water.
- Add 1 tsp. each of dried sage and rosemary leaves to the basin.
- Then, wait until the water is enough coolto soak your feet in it.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy 1-2 times per day.
29. Coffee Grounds
One of the best remedies for how to get rid of foot odor in socks that has been used by many people is using coffee grounds. They can be used to eliminate strong smells, including the stinky smell in your shoes.
- Sprinkle some coffee grounds into your shoes
- Let them sit inside your shoes for at least 12 hours or overnight
- The next morning, remove the coffee grounds from your shoes with a tissue or a brush
To get rid of foot odor, you can make use of bleach. Simply, mix about 2 tbsp. of bleach in a gallon of lukewarm water. Then, you dip your feet in this solution for about 5- 10 minutes daily for a week. Besides, you can bleach your socks and shoes in the laundry, of course if they can withstand it. Add 2 tbsp. of bleach to the inside of your shoes. Wait half an hour and then rinse them off in the sink.
31. Use Fabric Fresher Sheets
It sounds strange when it comes to how to get rid of foot odor in shoes, but it actually does work. Simply, place 1-2 fabric freshener sheets in your shoes after they are used. These sheets will impart their pleasant perfume into your shoes and take away any moisture left in shoes.
32. Scrub Your Feet
It may sound obvious, yet a quick rub is not enough. Removing bacteria and dead skin cells is the key to foot odor removal. Therefore, when washing your feet, you need to scrub the entire surface of your feet with a brush or washcloth and use anti-bacterial soap. Also, you do not forget to scrub between your toes. A trick for you is to use a hand sanitizer that can help prevent bacterial growth and kill off germs on your feet.
33. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor- Use Mouthwash
Being alcohol-based, mouthwash contains antifungal, antibacterial and deodorizing properties. Mouthwash can help destroy the fungi and bacteria thriving in your shoes, thereby, eliminating the source of bad smell. Simply, spray mouthwash into your shoes and then allow it to dry out.
Do you want to discover other great ways on how to get rid of foot odor in socks and in shoes? Keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply any of these home remedies for good.
34. Use Antiperspirant
The antiperspirant can also be used for foot odor removal. Just ensure to use a separate product for each area. For the best results, you should apply it to your clean and dry feet before going to bed, and in the next day, wear your socks and shoes as usual. This method will give you dry and fresh feet during the day. However, do not use it right before you go out because it can make you slip and slide in your shoes.
35. Use Antifungal Foot Powder
Another great way on how to get rid of foot odor in socks that you should know and then tr to apply is to use antifungal foot powder. This powder helps to kill off the microbes that cause bad odor. To use it for foot odor removal, you just need to sprinkle some antifungal foot powder in your shoes and then leave it on for 12 hours or overnight
36. Dry Your Feet
According to a research , after washing your feet, you have to dry them completely. Keep in mind that moisture can create a feeding environment for bacteria. Therefore, you need to dry your feet completely, even the area between your toes.
37. Wear Open-Toed Shoes Or Sandals
Wearing open-toed shoes or sandals lets the air flow more easily around your feet, keeping you from sweat and keeping your feet cool. During cold months, you can put on leather or canvas shoes that let your feet breathe with ease and stay away from rubber and plastic shoes.
38. How To Get Rid Of Foot Odor Fast- Change Your Socks Regularly
When you wear socks, they absorb your sweat. And, wearing a dirty pair of socks for a few days will reheat that sweat, causing a foul smell. Therefore, you have to change your socks daily, especially if your feet often sweat. When washing your socks, you should try to wash away dead skin’s flakes. When purchasing socks, you should opt for absorbent socks that are made of wool or cotton. Stay away from non-absorbent socks because they can trap moisture in your feet.
Actually, this method is known as one of the best ways on how to get rid of foot odor in socks that you should not look down, yet try to change your socks frequently.
39. Wash Your Shoes Regularly
This is the last but very important way on how to get rid of foot odor in shoes that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers who are experiencing smelly feet to apply for good. You can wash your shoes in the washing machine. Just ensure that they dries out completely before you wear them. Nowadays, there are some shoe and boot dryers that can help dry out wet and sweaty shoes completely. You just need to place your shoes on these shoe dryers at the end of the day and wear dry, and warm shoes about 8 hours later. Dryers will reduce the moisture that causing bad smells and make your shoes last longer.
Additional tips for you when treating foot odor at home include:
- Wash your feet before and after removing the shoes.
- Put newspaper in your shoes in order to absorb the moisture.
- Consume foods that have high content of zinc  such as dairy products, pumpkin, apple, beans, spinach, mushroom, etc.
- Avoid consuming foods such as garlic, onion, pepper, etc.
- Avoid consuming alcohol too much
- Regularly trim your toenails.
- Change your footwear alternately so that your footwear dries out completely before wearing it next.
- Wear well-fitting shoes that are proper for the weather conditions.
- Reduce stress and tension
Home remedies mentioned above will not work if you keep wearing damp or dirty socks and shoes. In some cases, these remedies will only give you a temporary relief. You should also try many different remedies until you find the solution that actually works for you. If all of them do not work, consult a doctor to find the underlying problem.
If you are looking for simple yet effective ways on how to get rid of foot odor in socks and in shoes, then you need to read this entire article. We also hope that you can find the best solutions for your condition. Do let us know if these remedies can treat your problem by leaving your comments in the comment box below. For further health and beauty tips, you remember to visit our How To Page regularly.