Eye strain is a well-known and popular health issue in nowadays. It can occur for a variety of reasons. Some common triggers include sleep lack, staring at digital devices for long time periods, reading in low light for long stretches of time without allergies, taking a break, exposure to bright light, incorrect vision prescription, and some eye related issues. Eye strain can really trigger a sensation of discomfort. Some of the signs are irritation or redness, difficulty focusing, watery or dry eyes, double or blurred vision, increased sensitivity to light, pain and headaches in the back, shoulders, or neck. The signs and symptoms of this condition do not often happen in the morning, yet appear as patients do something that make the eye strain to focus. Though there are a lot of over-the-counter medicines and eye drops that provides help, there are also many tips on how to relieve eye strain that work well!
- Top 34 Tips How to Reduce Eye Strain When Using Computer/ Top 33 Tips How to Treat Eye Infection Naturally at Home
List Of Simple Tips On How To Relieve Eyestrain Naturally At Home
In this article, Healthy Guide will show you a few great ways on how to relieve eyestrain pain fast and naturally that you can apply at the comfort of your own home. All of these ways are effective for anyone with eye pain due to strain.
I. Eye Strain Facts
The term “eye strain” is often used by people to describe a group of vague signs that are related to the usage of the eyes. Eye strain is a sign, not an eye condition. Eye strain happens as the eyes feel tired from intense use; for example, working at the computer, driving a car for a long time period, or reading books. If you are struggling with any discomfort on your eyes caused by looking at something for a long period of time, you should know that you are having an “eye strain”.
Although this condition can be annoying, it often is not severe and just can go away as long as you allow your eyes to take a rest. In some cases, symptoms and signs of eye strain is a signal of an underlying eye issue that needs to be cured on time. Although you probably cannot be able to modify the nature of your job or all the things that can lead to eye strain, you can try some treatments that can help in reducing eye strain.
The term “eye strain” describes a group of signs which happen in some people after they use their eyes focusing on something for a long time period.
Although eye strain can lead to discomforts, it does not cause any damage on eye.
Extended computer usage or excessive or inadequate lighting may lead to eye strain, but there would be no permanent consequences of this.
Common causes of eyestrain are:
- Exposure to air-conditioning system, dry moving air from a fan, or heating
- Being fatigued or stressed
- Having an underlying eye issue, such as uncorrected vision (refractive error) or dry eyes
- Straining to see in very dim light
- Being exposed to glare or bright light
- Driving long distances and doing other activities, such as extended focus
- Reading without pausing to rest your eyes
- Looking at digital device screens
The eye is the organ of sight. Eye pain can be cause by conditions involving the eyeball (orbit) or be caused by conditions of structures around the eye. The eye has a number of components. These components include but are not limited to the:
- optic nerve
- Discomfort sensation (but eye strain will not change eye’s anatomy or damage your eyes)
- feelings of dryness
- blurring of the vision
II. Quick Tips
- Stare at an object twenty feet away from your eyes for twenty seconds for every twenty minutes that you spend near a screen.
- If you work on your computer for long time periods, use special software that can help to remind you to take frequent breaks; for example, Eye Rave, EyeLeo, and others.
- Put your laptop and computer screen 20 – 26 inches away from the eyes and a little below the level of your eyes.
- Do not use too much eye cosmetics when you have an eye strain.
- Wear sunglasses as you go out in the sunlight throughout the day.
- Use artificial tears for refreshing your eyes as they feel dry.
- To help in preventing dry eyes while working indoors, you should try making use of a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Take sufficient amount of sleep because sleep deprivation can contribute to more regular eye strain.
- Blink usually to keep the eyes healthy and moist.
- Follow a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Consider taking beta-carotene and vitamin A supplements for overall eye health.
- Drink a lot of water throughout the day to help in reducing eye strain.
- Get your eyes checked on a regular basis by a specialist to ensure that your eyes would always stay healthy.
II. How To Relieve Eye Strain At Home Naturally
There are some natural remedies for eye strain that you can consider applying at the comfort of your own home. They include:
1. Eye Massage
The very first tip on how to relieve eye strain pain naturally at home within a short time period that we would like to introduce in the entire article today!
To reduce eye strain, try gently massaging your eyelids on a daily basis. It will help a lot in relaxing all muscles around the eyes and also improving blood circulation to your eyes. At the same time, it can help to boost the tear glands, which can aid a lot in preventing dry eyes. Try making use of these tips at home and you will see good result:
- Use the fingers to massage the muscles above the eyebrows and your eyelids gently for about ten to twenty seconds.
- Massage your lower eyelid gently against the lower bone within about ten to twenty seconds.
- Massage the temple and upper cheek bones as well.
- Apply this method one to two times every day until you see the desired improvement.
Note: You can use an eye cream or 3 – 5 drops of olive oil for a smooth massage.
2. How To Relieve Eye Strain Naturally – Palming
Palming is wonderful for relaxing strained eyes, particularly while reading or spending too much time in front of your television, laptop, or desktop screen. The major goal of palming is to create a restful state for your eyes so that they don’t feel tired. This is also one of the best tips on how to relieve eye strain at work and at home naturally that we don’t want readers to miss! Try these tips at home and you will see the wonderful results.
- Sit in a comfortable position up straight.
- Warm your hands by rubbing the hands fast together.
- Put your warm palms over the eyes while your eyes are closed without applying pressure on your eyelids.
- Relax and enjoy the darkness within about half a minute.
- Open your eyes slowly and look around.
- Reapply the method 3 – 5 times at a sitting.
- Apply this method on a regular basis all over the day.
3. How To Relieve Eyestrain Naturally – Sunning
Sunning is another good method that can help to relax tired and strained eyes, according to a research . The important life energies of the sunlight are beneficial for your eyes. Sunning can also help your body produce vitamin D, which is vital for our overall health. To avoid tanning, you need to do sunning between 8a.m. and 10a.m. This is actually among the most effective tips on how to relieve eye strain pain at home and at work naturally that we encourage readers of Healthy Guide to read carefully and make use as soon as possible. Try these steps right from tomorrow and you will never feel regret about the positive effects it brings about:
- In the early morning, stand in a sunny place.
- Close your eyes and let the light to fall on the eyelids.
- Feel the warmth on both eyes and move the two eyes right to left, up and down and counter-clockwise and clockwise slowly.
- Do this method for about five minutes at all
- Follow it with palming.
- Do this once every day.
Note: During sunning, do not wear contact glasses and lens. In addition, it is essential to do palming after sunning for deriving the maximum advantage.
4. Eye Exercises
According to a study , frequent eye exercises can help to reduce eye strain. Exercise can help to make the eye muscles more flexible, boost the blood circulation to the eyes, and increase the concentration and focus. This is actually one of the best tips on how to relieve eye strain at home and at work naturally that you should not miss! Try these two steps at home to see the desired results:
- Roll your eyes in counter-clockwise and clockwise directions for a few seconds. Blink your eyes after taking a break. Repeat four or five times consecutively. Apply the exercise for every few hours.
- Try holding a pencil or pen at an arm’s length and concentrate on it. Bring the object closer to the eyes slowly, as long as you can concentrate clearly on it. Then move the object farther from your own vision. Reapply this ten to fifteen times.
Perform these eye exercises every day so that you will be able to enjoy good eyesight and prevent eye strain.
5. How To Relieve Eye Strain Pain – Cold Water
Cold water can also be very beneficial in reducing mild eye strain, according to a prestigious article . It can help a lot in relaxing tired muscles around your eyes, improving blood circulation, and reducing puffiness and eye swelling.
- Try making use of a cold compress if you have puffiness due to strained eyes. Wrap in a clean cloth with 3 – 5 ice cubes. Put it on your eyelids when they are closed. The puffiness will help a lot in decreasing after five to ten minutes of application.
- To get a more concentrated method, try dipping a soft washcloth in cold water and wringing out the excessive moisture. Put the cold washcloth onto your closed eyelids within about 60 seconds. Reapply this method as necessary.
- Alternatively, try splashing some cold water onto your facial skin and closed eyes whenever the eyes feel tired or strained. It will have a fast relaxing influence on the eyes.
6. Warm Compress
A warm compress is also one of the best tips on how to relieve eye strain. It will help a lot in relaxing the muscles around the eyes, reducing eye strain, as well as soothing dry eyes. It is also very useful for relieving the pain swelling of an eye sty. Follow these steps at home to reduce signs and symptoms of your own eye strain case:
- Try dipping a soft cloth into warm water and wringing out the excessive moisture.
- Comfortably lie down, put the warm towel over the eyelids while keeping your eyes closed.
- Slowly relax and breathe for about 60 seconds.
- Change the washcloth and reapply this method three to four times.
- Follow this curing method for one or two times on a daily basis.
7. How To Relieve Eyestrain At Home & At Work – Chamomile Tea
Another quick tip on how to relieve eye strain pain is using chamomile tea bags, according to a study . The relaxing and soothing nature of chamomile will help a lot in relieving the stress in your eyes fast. It can even aid a lot in reducing swelling around your eyes. Try these tip at home to see improvement:
- Steep two chamomile tea bags within 5 minutes in a cup of hot water.
- Remove the tea bags, and put 1 in the fridge and 1 on the kitchen counter.
- To make a warm treatment, place the tea bag from the kitchen counter onto your eyelids while keeping them closed within about five minutes.
- For a cool treating method, put the refrigerated tea bag onto the eyelids.
- Reapply this treating method as often as you need.
In addition, consume two to three cups of chamomile tea to reduce a headache, one of the most common problems triggered by eye strain.
8. How To Relieve Eye Strain At Home & At Work – Rose Water
Rose water can work effectively as a natural relaxer for tired and strained eyes. It has a very soothing effect. In addition, it can help a lot in rejuvenating the skin area around your eyes as well as fading eye puffiness and dark circles at the same time.
- Use some cold water to splash your eyes and use a clean towel to pat your skin dry.
- Dip two cotton balls into rose water.
- Close your eyes and lie down, put the wet cotton balls over your eyes.
- Do this 2 times on a daily basis.
9. How To Relieve Eye Strain At Work & At Home – Cucumber
Cucumber slices can also aid a lot in getting rid of eye strain quickly. Thanks to its astringent properties, potato can help to soothe the tired muscles around our eyes. It can even aid a lot in reducing dark circles and under-eye puffiness.
- Cool a medium-side cucumber in the fridge within twenty to thirty minutes.
- Cut it into thick slices and place them onto your tired eye areas.
- Apply this method one or two times per day to receive the best result
This remedy can also be applied with potato slices.
10. How To Relieve Eye Strain Naturally – Whole Milk
Whole milk is a very common method that can help to relieve signs and symptoms of eye strain. The fat content of whole milk is very relaxing and soothing for tired eyes. Milk can be very helpful in reducing puffiness and eye irritation at the same time. These steps will help you at home:
- Dip a cotton ball deep in cold milk.
- Rub it gently over your closed eyelids and around the eyes for a few minutes.
- Try to relax and the cooling impact of the milk will do its magical help soon.
- Do this once per day or as necessary.
11. Honey And Castor Oil
Application of honey is one of the best tips on how to relieve eye strain naturally at home and at work and it can also help to keep them healthy and sharp. Put 1 drop in each eye and relax for about two to three minutes, wash off later. This can help to relieve eye strain, prevent redness, dryness, and also clear dust and debris. Applying castor oil is also one of the old natural treatments for eye strain; just 1 drop of the mixture in each eye and wash it off after few minutes. This is very effective in preventing ill-effects of eye tiredness and eye strain.
12. How To Relieve Eye Strain Pain – Lemon Juice
Take a bowl of clear water, put it in a utensil which is wide, add ten drops of lemon juice to it and stir to create a fine mixture. Then, dip your facial skin into the water so that your eyes will be completely submersed in the combination; after that, open and close your eyes few times. This is not just relaxing but can also work effectively as a useful cleanser which removes, debris and also any infection that causes agent. This is easy to use but one of the best natural cures for eye strain you should not skip.
13. Potato And Cucumber Slices
Cucumber and potato slices are couple of potent tips on how to relieve eye strain naturally which can be used on a regular basis to prevent any damage to vision. Just slice a piece of a cucumber or a potato and put the slices over each eye and keep relaxing for about 15 minutes. These are many other soothing and relaxing ways that help to refresh your eye strain case in a short while, so keep reading the rest of the article.
14. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seed is also very useful in curing strained eyes. Take 1 tsp. of fennel seeds and boil them in 1 glass of water. Allow the combination to boil for about a few minutes. After that, allow it to cool down, strain the combination, and discard the seeds. Add a few drops of the remaining combination into each eye to clean and relax them. Apply this treatment on regular basis to see the best results within a short time period. This is also one of the best tips on how to relieve eye strain at home and at work naturally that you should not skip!
This is the last thing among the best tips on how to relieve eye strain at work and at home we encourage readers to know and apply after reading this article for good!
Taking breaks while watching TV or reading, working on computer, and writing is really a must for you. Beside, try avoid working in poor light and with dust, as well as hot and cold air. Remember to wear glasses when being outdoor and rinse your eyes off regularly to remove foreign particles. Eating carrots and drink carrot  juice after adding a few leaves of spinach is a great way that can help you a lot in keeping eyes nourished and healthy.
After reading this interesting article and applying some of the natural treatments above, we hope that you can get rid of signs and symptoms due to eye strain effectively. Actually, all of these methods have been reported to help reduce the effects of eye strain without causing harmful side effects. Therefore, you can try applying any of these ways at the comfort of your own home right now.