It is very common to have eye infection. And this problem can affect one or both eyes in individuals of any age. This infection can be caused by viruses, bacteria, allergies as well as other microbiological means. To know how to treat eye infection naturally at home, you should keep both of your eyes on this article right now.
- 27 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Eye Puffiness In The Morning/ 18 Ways On How To Get Rid Of Dry Eyes Fast And Naturally
List Of Natural Ways On How To Treat Eye Infections Naturally At Home:
If you are looking for effective ways on how to treat eye infection at home, then you need to read this article. Here we from Healthy Guide will show you common causes and symptoms of eye infection as well as home remedies for this infection.
I. Types, Causes And Symptoms Of Eye Infection
An eye infection can show up in many different areas, including on the eyelid, cornea and conjunctiva covering the outer layer of the eye or the inside of the eyelids. While an eye infection is rarely a serious health problem, it can bring you a lot of discomfort. There are many types of eye infections and they include:
- Pink eye: This infection causes red eyes and irritation. It is often caused by a virus, but sometimes caused by an allergic reaction.
- Sty: This infection is caused due to staphlococcal bacteria living on the surface of the skin. It causes an itchy red lump at the base of the eyelashes or on the eyelid.
- Keratitis: This eye infection involving fungi, bacteria, parasites or viruses is often caused by a foreign body getting into the eye, thereby causing injury to the cornea.
- Orbital cellulitis: When you have this bacterial infection, the tissues around your eye are infected.
- Blepharitis: This infection occurs when oil glands around the base of eyelashes are clogged, making the eyelids infected and causing intense itching and burning sensations.
- Dacryocystitis: This eye infection is present in the tear duct.
List of 38 Home Remedies For Pink Eyes In Children And Adults will show you some of the best natural treatments for pink eyes in both adults and children, so check it out!
Some common factors that can contribute to the presence of eye infections include:
- Immune deficiencies
- Exposure to harmful chemicals
- Exposure to somebody who has a contagious eye infection
The symptoms of eye infections may vary, depending on the type and extent of infection. Some common eye infection symptoms include:
- Pain or discomfort
- Itchy, irritated and burning eyes
- Light sensitivity
- Feeling that there is something in your eye
- Small, painful lump
- Tender eyelid when you touch it
- Constant tearing
- Green, yellow discharge out of your eyes
- Blurry vision
- Trouble wearing contacts
If you want to know some of the best treatments for puffy eyes, read on 21 Best Home Remedies For Puffy Eyes You Should Try and then try to apply one or more of these remedies for good.
Therefore, it is important to check it with your doctor first to find out the exact cause of your eye infection before starting treating its symptoms.
II. How To Treat Eye Infection Naturally At Home:
To treat your eye infection, you can try any of the following effective home remedies. These remedies can help reduce the eye infection symptoms and simultaneously boost up the healing process.
1. Saline Solution
This should be the first way on how to treat eye infection naturally at home that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers who are suffering from an eye infection to apply for good. To treat an eye infection, you can consider using a homemade saline solution. Actually, it is good for itchy, irritated, and inflamed eyes. The saline solution rinse helps clean away debris in your eyes and reduces the infection symptoms.
- At first, mix 1 tsp. of salt in a cup of distilled water.
- Then, boil the solution and let it cool down completely.
- After that, rinse off your affected eye with this saline solution
- Reapply this home remedy a few times a day.
2. How To Treat Eye Infection- Rosewater
Looking for 100% certain way on how to treat eye infecton? Then, do not skip rosewater because it is a natural cleaning product for the eyes. It can help remove all the dust particles and debris from your eyes naturally. Using some rosewater every day can help prevent the further infection and keep your eyes clean.
If you want to know how to treat eye infection at home naturally, consider making use of honey. Honey contains antibacterial properties, so it can help kill off harmful bacteria causing an infection in your eye. For best results, you should use Manuka honey.
- Mix equal amounts of Manuka honey and distilled water.
- Then, apply this solution to your infected eye with the help of a clean cotton ball.
- Reapply this remedy 2- 3 times a day until you notice an improvement.
- Alternatively, put a drop of Manuka honey directly in your infected eye 2-3 times a day. This can help remove dirt, discharge or debris from your eye through tearing.
Read on 31 Ways To Use Honey To Get More Gorgeous Skin, Hair, And Nails That Work 100% to discover some of the best uses of honey for getting more gorgeous hair, skin and nails.
4. Jasmine Flowers
When it comes to effective ways on how to treat eye infection naturally at home, you should consider this remedy. Jasmine flowers can also be used to reduce the swelling, inflammation and irritation related to eye infections. You just need to add some jasmine flowers to a jar of distilled water and then leave it overnight. The next day, wash your infected eye with this water. Alternatively, you can use this water as eye drops 3 times a day.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil works well if you have pink eyes. Using castor oil 2-3 times a day can help boost up the healing process.
To know some of the simple uses of castor oil that can help you get rid of boils naturally at home, read on 9 Uses Of Castor Oil For Boils In Men And Women
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains many essential vitamins and minerals, so it may be effective in fighting against the itching and redness related to eye infections. Simply, you just need to apply some coconut oil on your affected area.
Do you want to know other great ways on how to treat eye infection at home naturally? Continue to read the remaining of this article and then consider applying any of the following remedies for good,
7. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are worth mentioning in this list of great ways on how to treat eye infection naturally. To use fennel seeds for treating eye infection, you just need to boil some fennel seeds in water. Then, drain the water from the fennel seeds before using the water to wash your infected eyes.
Read More: Top 19 Healthy And Nutritional Foods For Eyes Improvement
8. Green Tea
Another great tip regarding how to treat eye infection at home naturally is using green tea. According to a study about home remedies for eye infections , green tea contains high content of tannic acid, which can help treat eye infection naturally. It can give your eyes a relief from itchiness and simultaneously reduce under-eye puffiness. Addition to this, green tea also contains many powerful antioxidants that are good for overall eye health.
- Soak 2 green tea bags in boiling water and leave it on for a few seconds.
- Then, take out the tea bags from the water and then wring the excess liquid
- Place both the tea bags and the tea water in the fridge.
- Next, wash your eyes with the cool tea water
- After that, place the cold bags on the closed eyes for about 15 minutes
- Repeat this process up to 3 times daily until the eye infection symptoms are gone.
Learn More: 15 Home Remedies For Itchy Skin Relief On Face And Body
9. Aloe Vera
Another natural way on how to treat eye infection at home is using aloe vera, which is highly recommended for eye infection- related symptoms. For reduce the symptoms of eye infection, you can soak a clean cotton ball with aloe vera gel and then place it on your affected area. Aloe vera will provide the nerves affected by the eye infection with a relaxing feeling.
10. How To Treat Eye Infection- Chamomile
According to a research about treatments for eye infections , chamomile contains anti-irritant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it one of the best ways on how to treat eye infection at home naturally. Its calmative and soothing properties found in chamomile can help reduce irritation, redness as well as under-eye puffiness. To use chamomile for treating eye infection, you can apply any of the following recipes:
- Add 1 tsp. of dried chamomile flowers to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep it for about 5 minutes.
- Then, strain it and wait until it cools down.
- After that, clean the inner and outer eye with the solution.
- Repeat this remedy every a few hours throughout the day.
- Place a used chamomile tea bag in the fridge.
- Then, put it on your closed eyelids for less than 10 minutes
- Reapply this remedy a few times a day.
In regard to learning how to treat eye infection at home naturally, using coriander is what you should try out! Coriander leaves give you a relief from the swelling, redness and inflammation thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Simply, boil some coriander leaves in water. When the mixture cools down, drain the leaves to get the liquid. After that, use the liquid to wash your infected eye.
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda is used in cooking and baking to make foods. Plus, baking soda can be also used as natural eyewash for reducing the symptoms of eye infection. Simply, add 1 tbsp. of baking soda to a cup of water. Mix it well before using it to wash your infected eyes for 2-3 times per day.
One of the best ways on how to treat eye infection at home naturally that has been used for ages is potato. Using the potato slices can help relieve the burning sensation in your eyes and simultaneously give your red eye an instant relief. Simply, cut a potato into some thin slices and then place these slices over your eyelids.
Turmeric contains anti- inflammatory and antiseptic properties, making it an effective way on how to treat eye infection at home naturally. In addition, it can help boost up the healing process. For treating eye infection, you just need to mix 2 tbsp. of powered turmeric in hot water and wait until it cools down. Then, apply this solution on the infected areas by using a clean cloth.
Eyebright is another great herbal treatment for eye infections, especially pink eye. According to a study about eyebright benefits , it has fluid-drying and infection-fighting powers, so it can help boost up the process of healing and simultaneously prevent the infection from spreading.
- Add 1 tsp. of eyebright herb to a cup of water
- Then, simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Next, let it cool down before straining it with a clean cheesecloth.
- Wash your infection eye with this solution and reapply it a few times daily.
- Alternatively, place one drop of eyebright 10% eye drops in each eye a couple of times a day if you want to treat eye irritation and inflammation.
16. Warm Compresses
This is another great way on how to treat eye infection like styes. Actually, the heat taken from the warm compress can help increase blood flow to the body’s areas and boost up the healing process. Moreover, warm compress can help reduce swelling and pain and simultaneously prevent eye infection in the future.
- Soak a clean towel in hot water and then squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Then, place this warm cloth on your closed eyelid for about 5 minutes
- Reapply this remedy a couple of times a day.
- Note: If the infection occurs in both of your eyes, you should use warm compresses for each eye.
17. Calendula Flower
This is another great way on how to treat eye infection that you should know and then try to apply for good. Calendula flower works as a natural wonderful herb for eye infection. You just need to boil some calendula flowers and then use its liquid to wash your eyes 2-3 times a day.
18. How To Treat Eye Infection- Yogurt
Live- cultured yoghurt can help you reduce the discomforts of your red eyes. Simply, soak a clean washcloth in yogurt and then apply it directly on your affected area. Actually, yogurt is known as a great way on how to treat eye infection at home that you should not look down, yet try to apply for good.
19. Baby Shampoo
Washing your infected eyes with some mild baby shampoo can help wash away the dust and clear your eyes. This remedy may help prevent further irritation or redness; therefore, it is considered as one of the simplest ways on how to treat eye infection at home.
20. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is one of the best ways on how to treat eye infection at home because it can help improve your immune system. Simply, you drink Indian gooseberry juice in order to fight the infection caused due to fungi or bacteria.
Another great one among effective home remedies on how to treat eye infection is to use garlic. Apart from its strong taste and aroma, garlic is well- known for its anti-inflammatory properties. You just need to apply some garlic juice over your infected area to give your burning eyes a soothing effect.
22. Cold Compress
Try cold water compresses if you want to get rid of eye infection naturally at the comfort of your own home. To make a cold compress, you need to follow the instructions below:
- Run a clean washcloth under the faucet and squeeze out the excess water.
- Then, place the washcloth on your infected eye
- Leave it on as long as necessary until the irritation and swelling go away
- Rewet the washcloth as needed
23. Breast Milk
This home remedy is very effective in treating pink eye. This is because breast milk has antibodies, which help kill off infection-causing bacteria. This in turn reduces the bacteria growth, thereby boosting up the healing process.
- Pour a small amount of breast milk into a cup.
- Then, place 2- 3 drops of breast milk into your infected eye with the help of a clean eye dropper
- Reapply this remedy every several hours.
Flaxseed can be used to reduce itching, pain, inflammation and swelling in the eyes. To use flaxseed as a home remedy on how to treat eye infection at home, you just need to take the following steps:
- Add a spoon of flaxseeds to a cup of hot water
- Mix it well for 10-15 minutes before draining the excess water.
- Then, pull out all of the contents in a clean cloth and place it directly to your infected eyes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily to get a relief from the swelling and pain.
25. How To Treat Eye Infection- Boric Acid
According to a research about boric acid , it can help resolve with eye infection symptoms, including dryness, redness, tearing and a burning sensation. The mild antifungal and antibacterial properties found in boric acid can help reduce irritation and treat the infection.
- Mix 1/8 tsp. of boric acid in a cup of filtered water.
- Then, boil the solution and let it cool down.
- After that, strain the solution with the help of a clean cheesecloth.
- Wash off your infected eye with this solution
- Repeat this remedy up to 3 times daily.
- Note: You should use fresh solution each time. And, when using this solution, you can experience a slight burning or stinging, but it will disappear soon.
26. Colloidal Silver
You can use colloidal silver to reduce eye itching and irritation caused by bacterial and viral infections. Therefore, f you are looking for simple ways on how to treat eye infection at home, you should try using colloidal silver.
- Place 2 drops of colloidal silver in each of your eye and then blink a little.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day until your eye infection goes away.
- Alternatively, purchase a colloidal silver ointment and then apply it around your eyes for itching prevention.
27. Apple Cider Vinegar
For treating eye infections, you can consider using apple cider vinegar. Actually, the malic acid found in pure apple cider vinegar is an antimicrobial agent. Therefore, it can help fight off bacterial infections, remove debris and germs from the eyes and simultaneously boost up the healing process.
- Mix 1 tsp. of raw apple cider vinegar in a cup of filtered water.
- Then, soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- After that, use this cotton ball to wash the outside of your affected eye.
- Repeat this remedy every several hours for a couple of days.
28. Charcoal Dusts
Charcoal dust is known as a good cleanser for your eyes. Add 1 tbsp. of charcoal dust with ¼ tbsp. of salt to a cup of hot water. Then, wait until it cools and drown all of the contents. Now, use the water as eyedrops every day.
Now, keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply one or more of these home remedies as soon as possible to reduce the symptoms of your eye infection.
29. Use Lubricating Eyedrops
Although over-the-counter eyedrops cannot treat your eye infection, they can help reduce redness and irritation. To use lubricating eyedrops effectively, follow the instructions below:
- Wash your hands before touching the eye areas.
- Lie on your back and then put one drop of the lubricating eyedrop into your infected eye
- Close your eye immediately after application, and keep your eyes closed for 2- 3 minutes.
30. Clean Eyes With Clean Water
If you are looking for simple ways on how to treat eye infection at home, you should try cleaning your eyes with clean water. Splashing your eyes with clean water 2- 3 times every day is also a simple treatment for eye infection. Cleaning your eyes with clean water may be effective in soothing your eyes and reducing redness and itching too.
31. Practice Good Hygiene
Other great ways on how to treat eye infection at home must including following a good personal hygiene. To treat eye infection and prevent its spread, you need to do:
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap often. Especially, before touching your eyes, make sure that your hands are clean.
- Throw away any disposable contact lenses and cosmetic products that may have been infected.
- Avoid sharing washcloths, makeup products
- Wash the bedding that may have contact with your infected eye.
32. Exercise The Eyes
You can rotate your eyes in a clockwise and anticlock wise direction for about 15 minutes in order to increase the blood circulation and simultaneously fight eye infection. In fact, this is another great way on how to treat eye infection at home that you should not look down, yet try applying for good.
33. How To Treat Eye Infection- Eat Healthy
This is the last but very important way on how to treat eye infection at home that we want to mention in this article today. Actually, following a healthy diet plan can help you enhance your immune system and simultaneously fight against any of the eye infections. Nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, lutein , and vitamins E and C may help fight off age-related vision problems. To get these nutrients, add the following foods to your daily diet:
- Green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, and collards
- Nuts, eggs, and beans
- Tuna, salmon and other oily fish
- Lemon, oranges and other citrus fruits
- Pork and oysters
It is very important for us to take care of our eyes and keep them healthy. By applying these home remedies, you can treat your eye infection completely. We hope that after reading this article, you can find the best solutions for your eye problem. If your eye infection does not get better after a few days of application, you should consult your doctor for proper treatment.
Our article suggests some of the effective but simple ways to treat eye infection without causing any unwanted side effect. If you have any concerns about this article or know other great home remedies for eye infection, feel free to leave your comments under this article. We will try to reply to you as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply