Also called dry eye syndrome, dry eyes commonly occur when your eyes are not provided with enough tears for maintaining the lubrication. This, in turn, causes discomfort as well as lead to several symptoms and signs. If you suffer from dry eyes, you can have some symptoms such as a burning or stinging sensation in your eyes, stuck eyelids when waking up, stringy mucus around or in the eyes, redness in your eyes, eye fatigue or blurred vision, be increasingly sensitive to light, have a difficulty on driving at night, and a feeling of having dirt or unknown object in your eyes (particularly when you wear contact lenses).
This condition may be caused due to both environmental and medical factors. Dry eyes commonly occur when your eyes lack adequate tears. Tear glands produce the tears to make your two eye surfaces clear and smooth and also prevent infection in your eyes. If the tear glands cannot produce an adequate amount of tears, it may be a sign of a medical condition (rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, scleroderma, lupus, vitamin A deficiency, and thyroid disorders, laser eye surgery, certain medications, damaged tear glands from radiation or inflammation, and aging.
In addition, an imbalance of your tear makeup or an increase of the tear evaporation may also the reasons causing this problem. It may be due to dry air or smoke; exposure to the wind, high altitude; hot blowing air; reduced blinking while working at the computer or driving; and several eyelid problems. Besides, some certain risk factors may put you at the higher risk of dry eyes includes the age of after 50, chronic allergies, the hormonal changes after becoming a woman, using contact lenses, partly opening your eyes, consuming a diet which is low in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin A.
If untreated, dry eyes can cause complications such as a higher chance of having eye infections and a damage of your two eye surfaces. There are several simple and effective home remedies which you can try applying to combat this uncomfortable eye condition naturally. Therefore, the main purpose Healthyguide page wants to show you a new article about how to get rid of dry eyes fast and naturally is to provide you top 18 natural ways on how to deal with this eye condition at home. By collecting information from many reliable sources, we hope you can feel safe and freely to read this article. Keep reading to discover more!
Top 18 Natural Ways On How To Get Rid Of Dry Eyes Fast You Should Not Ignore
1. Warm Compress
Applying warm compress is one of the best comfortable ways to help you get rid of dry eyes. The heat created from the warm compress has the ability to increase your blood circulation to your whole body and stimulate the tear formation. Besides, this process will also aid in soothing the eye irritation as well as providing an instant relief from its symptoms.
- Now, you firstly soak a lint-free and clean cloth directly in the hot water and then remove the excess water.
- Next, you close your eyes and hold this moist and warm cloth over them for 7 to 10 minutes. Remember to rewet this cloth with lukewarm water if it cools down.
- Finally, you rinse your eyes gently with lukewarm water.
- You should apply this treatment twice to thrice every day until your symptoms disappear.
Note: Avoid applying this treatment with the temperature which is higher than 108oF.
See more: How To Get Rid Of A Black Eye Naturally
2. Chamomile Tea
Another way on how to get rid of dry eyes naturally is to use chamomile. Known as a cooling and natural anti-inflammatory herb, chamomile not only is capable of restoring the lost moisture but also helps to ease tired eyes.
- Firstly, you add the dried chamomile (1 teaspoon) to the boiling water (200 ml) and then allow this to steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, you strain the chamomile tea, put in a clean container and then refrigerate until it cools downs.
- Now, you soak some clean cotton balls directly in the chamomile tea and then put them well on your closed eyes.
- Keep your eyes relaxed for 15 to 17 minutes and repeat the process once the balls lose their moisture.
Learn more: How To Increase Breast Size Naturally
3. Have An Omega-3s Rich Diet
As mentioned at the beginning of this article, a deficiency of essential fatty acids, particularly omega-3 fatty acids, is also a reason causing dry eyes. Omega-3s are able to ease inflammation in your body as well as promote the production of tears and the higher quality tears. Additionally, these fatty acids are known as vital components of fat molecules, maintaining the health of your eyes.
A 2013 study concludes that omega-3s positively affect dry eye syndrome and in some certain medical diseases, such as meibomian gland disease and blepharitis. Therefore, if you are experiencing dry eyes, including foods containing a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids is very important. Some good sources of Omega-3s include fish oils and fatty fish, flaxseed oil and ground flaxseed, sesame seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, and almonds.
Apart from supplying foods rich in Omega-3s, you may also have an intake of omega-3 supplements but just after you consult your doctor.
Read more: How To Grow Nails Fast And Naturally
4. Fennel Seed Tea
Almost we know fennel seeds are very beneficial for the digestive disorders; however, we don’t know that they are also very effective for those suffering from dry eyes. Here are the detailed steps to help you use fennel seed tea for treating dry eyes:
- Firstly, you steep the dried fennel seeds (a teaspoon) in the hot water (about 200ml) for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Next, you strain the liquid and let it reach to the room temperature.
- Similar to chamomile tea, you dip a clean cotton cloth in the lukewarm tea and then place the wet cloth on your eye lids.
- Let it stay like that for 15 minutes and you will see immediate results.
5. Blinking Exercise
Blinking your eyes regularly can also help in improving the tear flow aiming to moisten your eyes as well as make the tears spread to the two eye sides. This process is very beneficial in reducing the common symptoms caused by dry eyes. Plus, it also assists you in improving the blood circulation to your eyes and eases eyestrain. Each blink is proven to be able to bring nutrients to the structures of your eyes’ surface, which keeps them always healthy. You just practice the blinking exercise for at least five times per hour during 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, you may ease the frequency of blinking to 4 times at least per day.
- You simply close the eyes fully and then count to 2.
- Next, you squeeze your eyelids together, count till 2 again.
- Finally, you open the eyes and also count to 2 again.
- This full blink process will be able to aid in washing your eyes fully with the help of a fresh layer made from tears.
Learn more: How To Treat Gangrene Infection Naturally
6. Flaxseed Oil
Flaxseed oil is one of the effective ways on how to get rid of dry eyes naturally. Flaxseeds own a rich abundance of Omega 3 fatty acids, which is essential for the healthy eyes. Taking 2,000 mg of Omega 3 fatty acids every day is known to reduce symptoms of dry eyes by up to 85%. Therefore, you should add flaxseed oil in your daily diet to help solve this condition or consult your doctor’s advice to get the most suitable form if you take flaxseed oil supplement.
Note: If you are during pregnancy or breasting, firstly consult your doctor before taking this.
Read more: How To Stop Hand Tremors At Home
7. Rose Water
If you are wondering how to get rid of dry eyes naturally with a simple way, let try using rose water. In fact, rose water acts as a naturally powerful relaxer for tired and strained eyes which may cause the poor tear formation. Besides, rose water is load with vitamin A while the lack of is associated with dry eyes.
- At first, you soak a cotton ball or a cotton cloth to the rose water and then dab it on the closed eyelids.
- Keep waiting for about 7 to 10 minutes and take it out of your eyelids.
- Do this process several times on a daily basis.
- Besides, you can use pure rose water to rinse the eyes out or use it as eyedrops for getting an instant relief from dry eyes.
See more: 30 Tips On How To Get Rid Of Razor Burn
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains soothing properties along with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, which is able to help reduce the symptoms caused due to dry eyes.
- Now, you extract the gel from a fresh aloe Vera leaf and apply it on your eye lids. Remember not to let the gel directly contact with your eyes.
- Do this process every day during 8 to 10 days to see an improvement.
- You may even add the aloe juice in the daily diet to stimulate your treatment process.
In order to promote the tear glands for helping combat dry eyes, you can massage your eyelids regularly. Apart from dry eyes, massage may even assist in improving blood circulation to your eyes as well as relaxing the muscles around the eyes.
- First of all, you put some coconut oil or olive oil drops on the fingertips.
- Then you gently massage the closed eyelids with the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Next, you place your hand palms over the eyelids.
- You cover them completely for several minutes and do not forget to do this thrice per day.
Many studies indicated that honey has the ability to act better, compared to artificial tears, for treating dry eyes. You simply mix 1 teaspoon each of honey and clean, pure water. Then you use this mixture as your eye drop by adding 2 drops of this mixture into each eye 3 times daily until your condition goes away.
Besides, you may also combine 1 teaspoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of lukewarm water and use this to rinse your eyes every day.
11. Use Humidifier
Using a humidifier, particularly in the winter, is also an effective way in the list of top ways on how to get rid of dry eyes fast. Because the central heating system often makes the air get dry, which, in turn, makes dry eye symptoms more serious, a humidifier will help in adding the moisture into the dry air and thus providing the moisture for the eyes.
To aid in purifying the air, you may also put some indoor plants in your room. Some of the most effective plants are the Boston fern, peace lily, and areca palm. These plants will absorb the air pollutants in your house and ensure the pure air.
The list of top 18 ways on how to get rid of dry eyes naturally is not complete if not having this tip. Acupuncture has the ability to increase tear stability and secretion, prevent ocular damage, and reduce tear film break-up.
It is found that acupuncture negatively affects the symptoms of dry eye syndrome. Acupuncture is proven to be capable of radically improving the outcomes for those who use lubricant eye drops for this condition. The total effective rate of patients who use eye drops combined with the practice of acupuncture is 76.92% while the rate of those using only eye drops is 53.85%.
However, we recommend that you should firstly tell your doctor about the consideration of applying acupuncture before applying it.
13. Include More Foods Rich In Potassium And Zinc
All minerals are very important for keeping your eyes healthy. Nevertheless, zinc and potassium are two kinds of minerals which are the most beneficial. Studies indicated that a deficiency of potassium may be a reason causing a dry eye. Therefore, consuming much more foods high in potassium such as dates, banana, figs, avocados, pecans, wheat germ, almonds, and raisins is actually able to alleviate this condition.
Similar to potassium, zinc also plays a vital role in treating dry eyes. This mineral has the responsibility to determine the metabolic activities of enzymes which are present in the vascular coating of your eyes. You should include assorted legumes, mushrooms, whole grains, and sunflower seeds in your daily diet and you will get the difference in your eyes.
14. Coconut Oil
Acting as a natural rewetting agent, coconut oil is very good for your eyes’ health and play a vital role in easing the signs and symptoms of dry eye syndrome.
Apart from having the fatty acid content, coconut oil also works as a natural layer to protect the tear film layers, which help in reducing tear evaporation. In addition, this carrier oil is packed with anti-inflammatory properties easing the discomfort which is due to dry eyes.
It is concluded that coconut oil plays a crucial role as very safe rewetting eyedrops. The measurable parameter is also not significantly different from commercial brand saline and eyedrops. Nevertheless, it is recommended to have further investigation aiming to determine its effects for dry eye therapy.
- First of all, you pour some coconut oil drops in a cotton ball.
- Then you put it directly on the closed eyelids and wait for 15 minutes.
- This process should be applied at regular intervals during
15. Castor Oil
There are many ways on how to get rid of dry eyes and castor oil is one of the best answers. Castor oil possesses ricinoleic acid working as a natural anti-inflammatory agent which is able to reduce irritation, itching, burning, and pain related to this condition. Plus, it can also aid in easing tear evaporation. It is reported that castor oil eyedrops have a positive effect on treating meibomian gland dysfunction that is one of the common reasons causing dry eyes.
Experts proved that castor oil eyedrops have the ability to reduce symptoms thanks to the lipid spreading, the lubricating effect of castor oil, and the tear evaporation prevention, thus improving the tear stability.
If you do not know how to get rid of dry eyes with castor oil, let follow the below steps:
- Firstly, you put the hexane-free, organic castor oil in an eye dropper.
- Then place one castor oil drop in each of your eyes.
- Do this process twice per day to maintain the moisture of your eyes and reduce redness.
16. Frequent Eyelid Washing
Those who suffering from dry eyes have a tendency to rub their eyes constantly, which is a cause of eye inflammation. In order to relieve this discomfort as well as ensure proper eye hygiene, you should wash the eyelids several times daily.
- At first, you take some baby shampoo drops and put them on the clean fingertips.
- Then you close your eyes and use your fingertips to gently massage the eyelids.
- Finally, use warm water to rinse off the soap completely.
- Keep doing this once or twice on a daily basis.
17. Wear Sunglasses
In case you have dry eyes caused due to the environment, for example, living in a dry and hot climate, let wear sunglasses to help improve your condition. It is showed that dark sunglasses along with side shields are very beneficial in inhibiting the tear evaporation from your eye surfaces.
18. Go To Sleep Earlier
Sleep deprivation is also one of the common causes of dry eyes, thus, a sound sleep may really work well on treating this condition. Sleep is capable of providing your body with an adequate period of time which it needs to care itself. Additionally, similar to your body, your eyes need 7 to 8 hours per night for resting.
To get proper sleep, let turn off the TV, keep away from your phone and then try to sleep earlier. Keep maintaining this sleeping habit during a few weeks and you will notice a significant improvement with your eye condition and your whole health.
Your eyes are important parts of the body. They should be taken care of, particularly when it’s not difficult to care them by applying these simple and inexpensive remedies.
Apart from top 18 ways on how to get rid of dry eyes, let remember these below additional tips to aid in treating dry eyes more effectively:
- Dehydration is also a cause of dry eyes, thus, you should also increase the intake of fluids to maintain the hydration of your body and reduce symptoms.
- Do not forget to take breaks frequently while using the computer.
- Do not let the air directly blow into the eyes while using car heaters, hair dryers, fans, or air conditioners.
- Close your eyes regularly for several minutes when you let your eyes expose to the dry air in desert areas, in airplanes, and at high altitudes.
- Avoid exposing to secondhand smoke and stop smoking.
- Acidic foods may make dry eye symptoms more serious, so, avoid consuming such foods till your symptoms disappear completely.
- Completely treat eyelid diseases, such as meibomian gland dysfunction, blepharitis, various eyelid conditions for treating dry eyes.
- Limit the use of contact lenses if it is the reason causing your dry eye symptoms.
- Acupuncture therapy is also a treatment to combat dry eye symptoms.
- Remember to remove all eye makeup traces from your lashes and lids at the end of your day.
All above are top 18 natural ways on how to get rid of dry eyes naturally and fast at home. Hope that this article will aid you a lot in treating your condition. If you do not understand anything related to treatments for dry eyes, freely let your comment below and we will try the best to answer as soon as possible. Also, if you have or know other ways on how to get rid of dry eyes fast, let share them with us.
Apart from “How to get rid of dry eyes”, we also want to introduce to you a related article in our main Food page. “Top Healthy And Nutritional Foods For Eyes” is an article which includes up to 19 kinds of foods beneficial for the eye health. You can read it to discover the best food that is essential for your eye condition. We hope that our articles are helpful for you and let follow us to find out more interesting articles about various health and beauty diseases and conditions.