Dry or chapped lips are a common issue which can be unattractive and painful. Several popular symptoms are dryness, redness, flaking, cracking, and sore or tender lips. Chapped lips happen if your lips can not produce natural oil to moisturize themselves. Hence, some popular causes include Vitamin deficiencies, smoking, allergic reactions, dehydration, harsh weather changes, sun and wind exposure, and skin disorders. Besides, chapped lips can result in other health problems such as bacterial infections and cold sores.
There are a lot of commercial lip moisturizers that are available in the market. However, their effects are temporary and overuse can make your lips become more serious. On the other hand, applying some easy and natural ways on how to treat chapped lips in adults, toddlers, and newborns fast can save your money and get instant relief. Therefore, in this article, Healthyguide.com will talk about top 17 wonderful ways on how to treat chapped lips fast at home. We are certain that you can find useful information to get soft and healthy lips again.
Top 17 Natural Ways On How To Get Rid Of Chapped Lips Fast You Must Know
The first of the top 17 effective ways on how to treat chapped lips fast you can apply at home is honey. The combination of honey, yeast, and milk is used to cure different types of serious and minor infections and wounds for many centuries. This is mainly because honey contains antibacterial and antifungal powers. In addition to being a popular ingredient to treat more serious wounds, honey is also used to heal damaged and dry lips.
Honey is able to moisturize and heal your parched lips thanks to its antibacterial powers. It aids in preventing infection from the development in your chapped lips. Honey also helps hydrate your cracked lips in order to restore lost moisture.
Method 1: Honey And Rose Water
- At the first procedure, you make a mixture by adding 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of rosewater to a small bowl.
- Then you dab the combination on your chapped lips and allow it to sit on for about 15 minutes.
- Now, you rinse it off with clean water.
- You should do this daily to get the best results.
Method 2: Honey And Vaseline
- Firstly, you make your lips wet with warm water.
- Then you apply a layer of honey and leave it on for a few seconds.
- Next, you dab a small amount of Vaseline over the honey layer and keep it on for 15 minutes.
- You wipe off the application by using a cotton ball soaked in lukewarm water.
- You do this regularly to notice the improvements.
Method 3: Honey And Cocoa Powder
- You combine an equal amount of honey, brown sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Then you pour this mixture into a small jar.
- Now, you apply a little mixture on your dry lips.
- You exfoliate gently for 1 to 2 minutes and keep it on for several minutes.
- Finally, you rinse it off with clean water and pat dry.
- You follow this process 3 times a week until your chapped lips are gone.
Method 4: DIY Honey Lip Balm
- You melt 1 tablespoon of grated beeswax by using a double boiler.
- Then you add 5 chips of white chocolate to it and stir well.
- After it melts completely, you remove the mixture from the flame.
- While it is still hot, you add a teaspoon each of honey, olive oil and almond oil, a tablespoon of Shea butter, and 3 to 4 drops of vanilla extract.
- Now, you stir well again and pour it into your lip balm container.
- You refrigerate the mixture and then apply a bit of the lip balm on your lips.
- You repeat this application a daily basis to get healthy lips.
See more: How To Increase Breast Size Naturally
2. Coconut Oil
Another excellent way on how to treat chapped lips in adults, toddlers, and newborns fast you should not skip is to use coconut oil. This oil works as a natural moisturizer which is capable of healing cracked lips caused by dry or cold weather.
The presence of the minerals in coconut oil adds a great amount of moisture to your lips. This is beneficial in curing dryness by locking the moisture in your skin that makes the lips become soft and supple. Moreover, coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that are useful in reinforcing the lipid layer of your skin. It also contains antifungal and antibacterial properties which are responsible for dealing with any bacterial development in your cracked lips. In addition, Vitamin E in it plays a role as an antioxidant that is good for your lips.
Method 1: Coconut Oil
You simply use coconut oil in its liquid or solid form for this process.
- You firstly dab a little bit of coconut oil on your chapped lips.
- You do this procedure a few times a day.
- You can also apply a small amount of the oil before going to bed. This will add the moisture to your lips while you are sleeping.
Method 2: Coconut Oil And Sea Salt
The combination of coconut oil and sea salt is a perfect way on how to treat chapped lips in adults, toddlers, and newborns you should not skip. The salt has the grainy texture that assists in removing dead skin cells from your cracked lips. It also has the ability to deal with any bacterial development in your chapped lips.
- You add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of sea salt to a small bowl.
- Then you apply the solution over your lips.
- Now, you massage it gently in circular motions for several minutes.
- You finish the process by wiping off it with a soft washcloth and patting dry.
- You should follow the method 3 times a week to heal your chapped lips.
Method 3: DIY Coconut Oil Lip Balm
The results of this process will be a wonderful alternative for a chemical lip balm which is bought in the stores. While coconut oil helps moisturize your lips and beeswax aids in protecting your lips from harm factors and holding moisture content, Vitamin E will neutralize the bad effect of free radicals.
- You melt a tablespoon each of coconut oil and grated beeswax by using a double boiler.
- While it starts melting, you add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Once the ingredients melt down completely, you add a couple of vitamin E capsules along with a few essential oil drops to it.
- You stir well and remove it from the flame.
- Now, you pour the mixture into a container and allow it to solidify.
- You apply it on your lips a few times a day.
Learn more: Top 15 Natural Home Remedies For Dark Underarms
3. Milk Cream
If you are finding the easiest and most simple ways on how to treat chapped lips in toddlers, adults, and newborns fast, then using milk cream is the best answer for you. Milk cream contains an abundance of fat content that has the ability to keep your cracked lips naturally moisturized. In addition, it is also an amazing product to maintain the soft lips and speed up the process of healing by getting rid of the dead skin cells in your lips.
- You simply apply a thin layer of milk cream over your dry and cracked lips.
- Then you start massaging your lips gently and keep it on for about 15 minutes.
- You wash your lips off with a clean cotton ball that is dipped in warm water.
- You can try to add a little lime juice to this milk cream 2 times a day to bring the instant relief and get the nourishing benefit.
Read more: How To Improve Skin Naturally With Oils
When it comes to the effective ways on how to treat chapped lips in toddlers, adults, and newborns fast, using cucumbers is one of the best choices. Cucumbers are a plenty of absorbic acid known as vitamin C that is very helpful in stimulating the production of collagen. As you know, collagen is able to give your lips more fullness and beauty. Furthermore, water amount in cucumbers accounts for 90% of total weight. This will help hydrate and refresh your dry lips by restoring their moisture. Last, cucumbers are high in caffeic acid that acts as an antioxidant. This antioxidant has the ability to prevent the formation of harm free radicals, which is beneficial in protecting your lips from harm effects of the sunlight
- Firstly, you take a cucumber and cut it into many thin slices.
- Then you gently rub a cucumber slice across your cracked lips so that its juice can be applied well over them.
- You leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes before washing your lips with plain water.
- You should do this a couple of times a day to make your lips supple and soft.
See more: List Of Top 21 Best Nutrients For Hair
Water is known as a natural and simple way on how to treat chapped lips fast at home and you should make use of it. Because dehydration is the main reason behind your dry and cracked lips, always drinking plenty of water during a day is able to keep your body hydrated effectively. Hence, you should start your new day by drinking one to two cups of water before you eat or drink anything else. You also drink at least one cup of water before going to bed. Besides, it is recommended that you should drink additional water during winter months since the cold air has a tendency to make your skin and lips dry due to the loss of the moisture. In addition, water is helpful in flushing toxins out of your body.
Learn more: 15 Best Natural Home Remedies For Dandruff
There are many useful ways on how to treat chapped lips at home fast and sugar is one of them. It is one of the most popularly used ingredients in your kitchen. Sugar is not only an excellent body scrub but also a magic lip scrub. It has the grainy texture which has the ability to get rid of dead skin cells from your chopped lips. For the best result, you should use brown sugar because it is softer than white sugar. If your lips are sensitive or sore, you try superfine sugar that has extra-small and gentle grains.
Method 1: Sugar And Honey
The combination of sugar and honey is an effective lip scrub which is an amazing way on how to treat chapped lips fast at home you should make use right from today. Exfoliating dead cells in your cracked lips will help them restore the natural softness faster.
- You make a lip scrub by mixing 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Then you apply this paste on your dry lips and scrub gently for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, you rinse it off with lukewarm water before you moisturize the lips with a lip balm.
Method 2: Sugar, Olive Oil, And Lemon Juice
You can replace honey by lemon juice and olive oil to create a homemade lip scrub that is an excellent way on how to treat chapped lips in toddlers, adults, and newborns.
- At first, you combine equal parts of sugar, lemon juice, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Then you mix them thoroughly and apply this mixture on your lips.
- You start scrubbing your lips gently to help the solution enter deeply your lips.
- Now, you wash it off with warm water and pat dry.
- You finish the process by applying a little lip balm.
- You repeat the method one to two times a week to get healthy lips.
7. Castor Oil
Another of the useful ways on how to treat chapped lips at home fast is to use castor oil. This medicinal concoction is a great source of Vitamin E that makes it perfect for your lip health. It is also loaded with minerals, proteins, and has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that are able to nourish and repair your dry lips.
Method 1: Castor Oil
- You simply take a small amount of castor oil and apply it on your dry lips.
- You massage the lips gently if needed.
- You repeat the procedures a few times a day to get the improvements.
Method 2: Castor Oil, Lemon Juice, And Glycerin
- You make a soothing remedy by adding 1 teaspoon of castor oil, 1 teaspoon of glycerin and several drops of lemon juice to a small bowl.
- You stir it well and then apply it on your chopped lips before going to sleep.
- You keep it on overnight to help this mixture do its work.
- In the next morning, you use a clean cotton ball which is dipped in the warm water to wash your lips.
- You should repeat regularly to heal your lips.
8. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is known as another natural way on how to treat chapped lips fast at home that you can try for good. It contains anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that assist in rejuvenating the soft skin of the lips and strengthening the thin oil layer to heal your dry lips. Besides, it also works as a natural moisturizer and has hygroscopic properties that are effective in healing the pain and holding moisture of your cracked lips.
Method 1: Aloe Vera Extract
- Firstly, you remove the outer shell of an aloe vera leaf and then squeeze to extract its gel.
- Now, you massage this gel gently into your chapped lips and keep it on for about 15 minutes.
- Finish by rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- You should repeat this regularly to get smooth lips.
Method 2: Aloe Vera Gel And Rice
- You firstly add a tablespoon of powdered rice in a small bowl.
- Then you make a paste by adding an enough amount of aloe vera gel to it.
- You rub this homemade scrub gently on your dry lips for a couple of minutes and keep it on for more 5 minutes.
- Finally, you rinse it off with cool water.
- You apply this lip scrub one time a week to soften and lighten your lips.
9. Rose Petals
Rose petals have been known as one of the amazing ways on how to treat chapped lips in toddlers, adults, and newborns. They contain the moisturizing, soothing, and cooling properties that are highly beneficial for your dry and cracked lips. These petals are high in natural oil that has the ability to provide instant relief from cracked lips. Furthermore, rose petals also have the natural astringent properties which have a soothing effect on capillaries of the skin. They also contain skin lightening properties which are capable of adding a natural pink to your lips.
- First of all, you take a handful of rose petals and wash them thoroughly.
- Then you soak the rose petals in a teaspoon of milk cream for several hours.
- Now, you mash them into a paste and apply the paste on your flaky lips.
- After 5 minutes, you start gently scrubbing your lips by using a soft toothbrush or your fingers.
- Finally, you wash off your lips with warm water.
- You follow the solution 3 times a week to have healthy lips.
Note: If you do not have milk cream, you can use glycerin as an alternative.
10. Lemon Juice
One of the top 17 effective ways on how to treat chapped lips in newborns,toddlers, and adults is to apply lemon juice. This juice has the healing property that is very helpful for your dry lips. In addition, lemon works as a natural bleach that is beneficial in removing the dead skin cells and clearing dirt at the same time. It is also rich in Vitamin C which helps reduce melamine production.
- You add 1 teaspoon of each lemon juice and honey to a small bowl.
- Then you continue adding 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil and mix it well.
- Now, you apply the mixture onto your chapped lips before going to sleep regularly.
- You follow this process for 10 days to notice the best results.
Note: If your lips are seriously cracked and have wounds that bleed, you should avoid using lemon juice at this time because it can ignite pain and inflammation.
Strawberries are also known as one of the excellent ways on how to treat chapped lips in newborns,toddlers, and adults. Applying strawberries not only aids in treating your dry lips but also helps your lips become pinker and more attractive. Moreover, strawberries contain an abundance of vitamins and minerals that have the ability to keep your lips healthy and soft.
Method 1: Strawberry Paste
- You firstly cut a ripe strawberry into 2 equal parts.
- Then take the half part and crush it well.
- Now, you use the crushed strawberry as a scrubber on your chapped lips for several minutes.
- You keep the strawberry mixture on so that it can absorb on your lips.
- Finish by rinsing your lips with warm water.
- You do this home remedy at least 2 times a week to say goodbye to the dry and cracked lips.
Method 2: Strawberry Pulp And Honey
- You make a paste by mixing 1/2 tablespoon of strawberry pulp and a teaspoon of honey in a small bowl.
- Then you apply this strawberry paste on your dry lips and gently rub for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once it is done, you rinse this paste with lukewarm water.
- You repeat this treatment for one to two times a week to heal your lips.
12. Olive oil
Another simple way on how to treat chapped lips in newborns,toddlers, and adults is to apply olive oil. This oil is a great source of Vitamin E that is able to protect your dry lips in many ways. Moreover, olive oil is one of the best natural moisturizers and lubricants which are responsible for healing your cracked lips. The fatty acids in this oil aid in curing your chapped lips and making them supple and soft.
- You apply a small amount of olive oil on your dry lips.
- Then you start massaging them gently to help the oil do its magic work.
- You do this two times a day to feel the difference.
Note: If you have oily skin, you should avoid using olive oil. Because this oil contains oily nature, applying it on your lips can lead to irritation and breakouts on the skin area around your mouth.
There are many easy ways on how to treat chapped lips in newborns,toddlers, and adults and using kiwi is one of them. It acts as an excellent natural exfoliant for your chopped lips. In addition, this delicious fruit is high in antioxidants, particularly polyphenols that assists in nourishing your lips. The vitamin C content in kiwi also has the ability to lighten dark lips. Last, its little black seeds are capable of scrubbing your lips and removing the flaky skin.
- You add a tablespoon of crushed kiwi in a small bowl.
- Then you add 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and sugar to it.
- Now, you mix it thoroughly and apply this mixture on your dry lips.
- Next, you exfoliate your lips gently with this kiwi lip scrub.
- Finally, you wash your lips with warm water before applying some moisturizing lip balm.
- You should use this lip scrub one to two times a week to keep your lips luscious and pink.
14. Coffee Grounds
Coffee grounds are widely used as another excellent way on how to treat chapped lips in newborns,toddlers, and adults. Applying a homemade lip scrub from this ingredient is able to heal your cracked lips. The special texture of coffee grounds can make your lips softer as well as more gentle and strong enough to remove flaky skin. Besides, the aroma of the coffee is very invigorating, which makes it a popular choice.
- At the first procedure, you put a teaspoon of finely ground coffee in a small bowl.
- Then you add a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of olive oil.
- Now, you mix it thoroughly and rub this coffee scrub on your dry lips.
- Next, you massage your lips gently for several minutes and then leave the mixture on them for about 5 minutes.
- You rinse it well with warm water and pat dry before applying a lip balm.
- You should do this one time a week.
15. Baking Soda
Using baking soda also has been known as one of the top 17 effective ways on how to treat chapped lips in newborns,toddlers, and adults. It works as a natural exfoliant that is beneficial in exfoliating your chapped and dry lips. It can get rid of the dead skin cells which are responsible for your cracked lips and leave them smooth.
- In a small bowl, you put 1/2 baking soda teaspoon in it.
- Then you add an enough amount of water to make a gritty paste.
- By using your fingers, you rub the paste gently across your dry lips in circular motions.
- Now, you rinse off your lips with lukewarm water.
- Finally, you pat them dry and then apply a little organic coconut oil or a moisturizing lip balm.
- You follow this one time a week to get soft lips.
Note: Make sure that you do not apply baking soda on your dry lips for more than 2 minutes because it can have a drying effect.
16. Flax Seed Oil
Another ingredient in the list of the wonderful ways on how to treat chapped lips in toddlers, newborns, and adults is flax seed oil. The oil contains natural nourishing properties that assist in penetrating into the tissues of your lips and giving you smooth and soft lips. Moreover, the instant smoothening properties in flax seed oil can have direct effects on your chapped lips thanks to its natural moisturizer. The regular application of the oil on your dry lips can help nourishing nutrients sink into spongy tissues of your lips. This will heal the chapped lips and make them plump and soft.
- You simply apply a little flax seed oil on your dry lips.
- Then you massage them gently by using your fingers.
- You do this process daily to say goodbye to the cracked lips.
17. Almond Oil
The last of the top 17 excellent ways on how to treat chapped lips is to use almond oil. This oil plays a role as one of the best lubricants to moisturize and soothe your dry lips. In addition, this oil is capable of eliminating darkness and enhancing the color of the lips. The presence of B2 vitamin in almond oil is very good for healing your chapped lips. Along with B2 vitamin, it is also high in vitamin E that helps protect your lips from harm effects of the sun and avoid aging.
- You apply a small amount of almond oil on your chapped peeling lips.
- Using your fingers, you rub gently on your lips and feel the difference.
- You repeat this frequently to notice the satisfied results.
Along with the above mentioned effective ways on how to treat chapped lips in toddlers, newborns and adults, you should follow the additional tips below to get healthy lips.
- If you use a lip balm, you should choose the type having an SPF that is at least 15.
- You do not lick your lips. Even though this will give temporary relief, in the end, its results make your lips more severe dryness.
- If your toothpaste or mouthwash contains fluoride, this can lead to chapped lips. Therefore, you stop using them to find out whether they are contributing to your issue. If so, you need to change products.
- If you wear lipstick regularly, you should choose a reputable brand which contains sunscreen.
- Avoid eating salty and acidic foods when you suffer from severely chapped lips.
- You do not breathe through your mouth, particularly while sleeping.
- You consume a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins A, B, and E.
- You should use a humidifier every night to moisten the air.
After reading the article carefully, we hope that you know about the effective ways on how to treat chapped lips and find out the suit treatments for you. If you apply any mentioned ways within ten days and your lips are still extreme and persistent chapped, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible because this condition can be associated with diabetes, macrocytosis, Kawasaki disease, and many sexually transmitted diseases.
Another article in our main How to page we want you to spend a bit of time on reading it is “Home Remedies For Cold Sores”. This is also one of the most common problems on lips and in the mouth, we cannot ignore. With this article, you can get 27 natural home remedies to get rid of cold sores on your lips and in your mouth fast. Therefore, if your friends or family members are suffering from this uncomfortable condition, let share this useful article with us! Keep following us to discover various attractive articles!