Cold sores are small, fluid filed lesions that appear on or around the lips. They are cosmetically unappealing and they can also be painful. There is no cure for the cold sores, but there are some simple tips on how to treat cold sores that can help reduce the severity and duration of breakouts. Also, these home remedies can help you reduce the discomfort and pain associated with cold sores.
- 20 Home Remedies For Canker Sores On Tongue, Gums And In Throat/ 22 Tips How To Get Rid Of A Swollen Lip From A Cold Sore & Pimple Fast
List Of Simple Yet Effective Ways On How To Treat Cold Sores At Home
In this article, Healthy Guide will reveal some simple ways on how to treat cold sores in mouth that you can apply easily at the comfort of your own home. Actually, all of these remedies use natural ingredients and do not cause any unwanted side effect. As a result, you can feel secure when applying any of these remedies at home.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Cold Sores
Cold sores can appear on the face as well as around the mouth. The common cause of cold sores is the herpes simplex virus (HSV) that can be transmitted easily through close contact. After getting into the body, this virus will remain inactive almost all of the time. However, if there is a factor activating the virus, cold sores will develop.
Many people have this virus but they show no symptoms. They will only know this once cold sores appear. In most cases, there is no another detectable symptoms of a herpes infection. Some common symptoms can include:
- Blisters, lesions or ulcers in the mouth or on the tongue
- Lip swelling
- Sore throat
- Mouth or tongue pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Swollen glands
- High body temperature
- Headaches, nausea
List of 30 Tips How To Get Rid Of Fever Blisters On Face, Tongue, Lip, & Mouth will show you some of the best ways that can help you get rid of fever blisters on face, lip, tongue and mouth, so check it out!
II. How To Treat Cold Sores Naturally At Home
If you have a cold sore, there are some natural treatments that can help you get rid of the pain and discomfort due to cold sores overnight. They include:
1. Aloe Vera Gel
This is the first one among great ways on how to treat cold sores on face, lips, and tongue that we want to reveal in this article. Aloe vera gel is well known for its ability to soothe minor skin irritations and it can offer an instant relief from the pain of cold sores. Also, it fights off bacteria that can irritate the sore more, and speeds up the healing process.
- Take out the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Then, apply ½ tsp. of aloe vera gel directly onto your sores.
- Leave it on for a few minutes
If you want to know how to use aloe vera gel for reducing acne scars, redness and blemishes, read on 29 Uses Of Aloe Vera For Acne Scars, Redness, Blemishes & Pores
2. A Whole Milk Compress
A whole milk compress can help stimulate the healing process, and simultaneously relieve pain. This is because milk contains proteins called immunoglobulins that help fight off and prevent virus causing cold sores. Besides, milk also contains l-lysine, which helps inhibit the outbreaks, and stimulate the healing process too. To prevent outbreaks, you can drink whole milk. To treat cold sores, you can consider making a whole milk compress.
- Soak a cotton ball in 1 tbsp. of whole milk
- Then, apply it directly to your affected area for several minutes
- Next, use a clean damp towel to remove the milky residue.
- If required, apply some petroleum jelly.
3. How To Treat Cold Sores In Nose, Mouth – Tea Tree Oil
When it comes to learning how to treat cold sores in nose, lips, and tongue, as well as in nose and mouth, you should try making use of tea tree oil. Studies found that tea tree oil contains powerful antiviral properties, which can help kill the virus causing cold sores and speed up the healing process.
- Soak a cotton swab in some tea tree oil
- Then, apply it directly on your cold sores before going to bed
- Repeat this home remedy a few times daily.
To know how to treat warts on face, scalp, neck, hand and fingers using tea tree oil, read on 24 Ways To Use Tea Tree Oil For Warts On Face, Hand, Scalp, Neck & Finger
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
If you do not know how to treat cold sores on lips, tongue, and face, you should try apple cider vinegar. Using this kind of vinegar can help kill off the virus causing cold sores and give you a quick relief from the pain associated with cold sore.
- Soak a cotton swab in some raw apple cider vinegar
- Then, apply it on your cold sores.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a day until you get a quick relief from your sores.
Read on 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss to discover some of the best ways to treat dandruff and itchy scalp using apple cider vinegar.
5. Coconut Oil
If you are looking for ways on how to treat cold sores on tongue, you should not look down coconut oil, yet try to make use of it as soon as possible. Coconut oil is known as a great antimicrobial agent. Besides, it also contains lauric acid and oleic acid, which help kill the virus causing cold sores and give you a quick relief. Simply, apply some coconut oil directly on your cold sores with the help of a cotton swab. Follow this remedy every hour.
Honey contains antimicrobial properties, so it can be used to heal the infected sore and relieve the inflammation and irritation. Application of honey may be the quickest way to treat a cold sore.
- Apply ½ tsp. of raw honey on your cold sores.
- Leave it on for 5-7 minutes.
- Finally, rinse it off with water.
7. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil contains powerful properties that can kill off virus particles around an erupted cold sore. According to a study about cold sore home remedies , when applied peppermint oil directly to a cold sore, the sore will be healed faster, especially if it is applied at the first stage.
- Firstly, rinse the surface of your cold sores with water.
- Then, soak a cotton swab in clean water before dipping it into a little bit of high quality peppermint oil.
- Place this cotton swab onto your cold sores.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily.
8. Hydrogen Peroxide
This is worth mentioning in the list of ways on how to treat cold sores in nose and mouth that you should give it a try! Using hydrogen peroxide on your cold sores can disinfect, speed up the healing process, and prevent the surfaced sore from worsening.
- Soak a cotton ball or cotton pad in about 1 tbsp. of hydrogen peroxide.
- Then, place it directly on your cold sores
- Leave it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing off.
9. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is a natural remedy for cold sores by killing the virus and reducing the severity and duration of the outbreak. Actually, this is known as one of the best ways on how to treat cold sores on lips, in nose and in mouth that you should not look down, yet try to apply for good.
- Soak a cotton swab or cotton pad in vanilla until saturated.
- Then, apply directly to your affected area
- Leave it on for 1- 2 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy four times daily
10. How To Treat Cold Sores On Lips, In Nose, Mouth – Echinacea
In regard to learning ways on how to treat cold sores on tongue and in mouth, you can try making use of Echinacea. According to a research , drinking Echinacea tea helps increase your immune system, hence reducing the duration of the breakout.
- Place a bag of Echinacea tea in a cup
- Then, pour hot water over it.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bag and squeeze the juice from the bag
- Finally, enjoy Echinacea tea
11. Eucalyptus Oil
It sounds strange when it comes to learning ways on how to treat cold sores on lips, but it actually does work. Eucalyptus oil can be used to kill the virus causing cold sores and speed up the healing process.
- Firstly, soak a clean cotton pad in some eucalyptus oil
- Apply the oil directly on your cold sores.
- Repeat this home remedy every hour.
This is another one among great ways on how to treat cold sores on lips and face that you should try out, especially in case you want to get rid of this infection using natural ingredients in your kitchen. The garlic clove contains antiviral and antiseptic properties, making it a great solution for many skin problems, including cold sores.
- Crush a garlic clove and apply it directly on your cold sores
- Also, ingest a raw garlic clove in the morning when you have an empty stomach.
- Apply either of these remedies twice or thrice per day.
13. Cornstarch Paste
When you apply cornstarch paste directly into your cold sores, it will help reduce the itchiness, pain and burning sensation of a cold sore. This is because cornstarch can neutralize the pH of the sores, making the virus causing cold sores hard to survive.
- Place 1 tbsp. of cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Then, mix it in about 1 tsp. of fresh water to create a paste-like consistency.
- Apply a little bit of this paste onto your cold sore before going to bed
- The next morning, rinse it off with clean water.
- Repeat this home remedy nightly until your cold sores are gone.
There are other great ways on how to treat cold sores on face in this article. So, you should try to keep both of your eyes on the following home remedies and then try to apply any of them as soon as possible.
14. Witch Hazel
When it comes to learning ways on how to treat cold sores on tongue, you can consider making use of witch hazel. According to a study , witch hazel has been found to treat many skin problems including acne, insect bites, bruises, blisters and cold sores.
- Soak a cotton swab or pad in about 1 tsp. of witch hazel.
- Then, apply it directly onto your cold sores
- Leave it on for a few minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy once or twice daily as needed.
15. How To Treat Cold Sores In Mouth And Face – Licorice Root
One of the best natural remedies for cold sores on lips is licorice. Actually, licorice root contains a compound called glycyrhizic acid, which has been found to stop the virus cells due to its anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. You can try drinking licorice tea daily, or using licorice root extract or powder as a topical treatment. This herb can even help to prevent and treat cold sores completely. It contains an active ingredient known as glycyrrhizin with powerful anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of powdered licorice root in about ½ tsp. of fresh water or 1 tsp. of petroleum jelly to create a smooth cream
- Then, gently apply a thin layer of this cream over the sore. (Ensure that your hands are clean)
- Leave it on for several hours or overnight.
- Do this several times throughout the day.
- You can also have supplements or licorice root tea
If you are vulnerable to cold sores, consume this herbal remedy on a regular basis to help a lot in minimizing outbreaks. If you are suffering from high blood pressure, do not take licorice root because it can raise blood pressure and can cause the reduced potassium levels.
16. Lemon Balm Oil
Lemon balm oil can be used to heal wounds thanks to its antiviral properties, making it one of the most effective ways on how to treat cold sores in mouth. Besides, it will also kill off the infection-causing virus and speed up the healing process.
- Apply the lemon balm oil directly on your affected area and leave it on.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a day.
- Also, drink some lemon balm herbal tea.
17. Vitamins C And E
Vitamins C and E are good for treating cold sores. According to a study , vitamin C has been found to increase the immune system, hence helping fight off the infection. Meanwhile, vitamin E, when applied topically, can help reduce the irritation and pain associated with cold sores. You can get both of these vitamins through oil, an oral supplement, or foods. Some vitamin C- rich foods are lemon, kiwi, broccoli, red berries, green bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, etc. Some vitamin E- rich foods are leafy green veggies, nuts, avocados and whole grain.
To numb the pain caused by cold sores, you can try placing an ice cube directly on your cold sores for as long as possible before applying a little bit of petroleum jelly. The petroleum jelly can help keep bacteria out, and simultaneously reduce the skin-splitting sensation after using an ice cube.
- Hold 1-2 ice cubes on your cold sores for as long as possible
- Once finished, gently remove the remaining water from the sore
- Finally, apply a little bit of petroleum jelly.
19. How To Treat Cold Sores – Salt
If you are looking for simple ways on how to treat cold sores on face using natural ingredients, you can try using salt. Salt contains antimicrobial properties, which can treat the viral infection, making it one of the best ways on how to treat cold sores that you should try out!
- Apply a pinch of sea salt  directly on your cold sores using a clean finger.
- Leave it on for about 30 seconds
- Repeat this remedy twice or thrice per day.
20. Acetone Nail Polish Remover
Believe it or not, several people actually have tried this natural treatment and even found it useful for their own case. Acetone is considered to help a lot in drying out a cold sore.
- Use a cotton ball to dip in acetone nail polish remover.
- Try dabbing it on the cold sores.
- Apply this method a lot of times throughout the day, preferably once per every 60 minute.
Researchers have discovered that taking lysine on a regular basis can aid a lot in preventing cold sores thanks to its antiviral influences. Lysine is an essential amino acid that can block the activity of arginine – another amino acid, which can help to promote the replication of the herpes simplex virus.
- Try adding soybeans, milk, meat, cheese, yogurt, and other protein-rich food items into your daily diet because they are excellent sources of lysine.
- Try taking 1,000 to 1,500 mg L-Lysine supplements on a daily basis to help a lot in keeping the herpes virus dormant. Try taking 1,000 mg 3 times per day during an outbreak. You can also make use of creams, but oral lysine is believed more efficient.
22. Cold Milk
Whole milk has immunoglobulins that can aid in inhibiting the virus that triggers cold sores. In addition, it contains a type of fat known as monocaprin which has antiviral effects. Moreover, cold milk can help to soothe the tingling discomfort and sensation.
- Try soaking a cotton ball in cold, whole milk.
- Use it to apply directly onto the infected area and let it stay within about ten minutes.
- Do this 1 – 2 times throughout the day.
Besides applying the cold milk mask, you can try drinking whole milk as it is also very useful because it has rich content of lysine.
23. Cover The Cold Sore
Using petroleum jelly to cover a cold sore can help a lot in speeding healing and helping to protect it from the 2nd infection with bacteria. Placing a local anesthetic ointment which contains benzocaine on the cold sores can aid a lot in numbing the pain temporarily. Nevertheless, trying to camouflage the cold sores with makeup usually helps to aggravate the issue because the chemicals in makeup can worse the sore sensation. And remember, never share your makeup and lipstick, either.
24. Change Your Toothbrush
You should buy a new toothbrush after the blisters have formed and again after they have cleared up. Toothbrushes can really harbor the viruses. If you have severe or frequent cold sores, consult your doctor for proper care and advice. In some cases, an antiviral medication known as acyclovir could be prescribed.
25. Protect Your Lips From The Sun
Applying sunscreen to the lips can aid a lot in preventing sun-induced recurrences of cold sores. You should opt for a sunscreen designed particularly for the lips that contains an SPF of 15 or more. Or else, opt for a lipstick that has sunscreen.
26. Do Not Touch The Cold Sores
Try not to squeeze, pick, or pinch your cold sores. These actions can really lead to bacterial infection. In addition, as the cold sores are extremely contagious, do not kiss and share towels, cups, or other such items. Wash your hands regularly, particularly after touching the cold sores. Moreover, try taking care not to touch your genitals and eyes right away after touching your sores. It is a good idea to have hand sanitizer with you whenever you accidentally scratch your cold sores and there is no wash basin handy.
27. Avoid Triggers
This is the last one among the best tips on how to treat cold sores on face, lips, tongue and in mouth, nose that we want to encourage readers to try for good!
As a cold sore is not making itself a huge ache on lips, it is snoozing in the nerves under the skin, you just need to wait for a reason to wake up. And here are things set off its alarm clock?
- Dental work
- Food allergies
- Changes in the immune system
- Ultraviolet radiation; for example, a sunburn
- Infection, flu, and colds
If the sores become worse, consult a doctor before you want to apply any of the remedies. Also, if you are taking medication, you should avoid any of the remedies that could interfere with it. More importantly, you should eat healthy and stay active in order to prevent the problem from reoccurring. Consume more fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet plan and drink plenty of water every day.
After reading this article about how to treat cold sores, we hope that you can know some basic information about this infection as well as some natural treatments that can help you treat this infection at the comfort of your own home. After that, you should try applying one or more of these home remedies as soon as possible. One more thing, if you know other effective ways on how to treat cold sores at home, share them with us by dropping your words in the comment box below. Also, if you want to know more about simple yet effective tips for beauty and health, remember to visit our How To Category.