Ear infections are caused by viruses or bacteria in the middle ear and children have higher risks of developing ear infections than adults. Ear infections can occur in any of the ear’s parts. It is very important to treat ear infections in order to prevent complications, including rupturing or damaging the ear drum. If untreated, ear infections can cause chronic recurrence and even deafness.
- 27 Tips How To Get Rid Of Clogged Ears From Cold, Flying, & Allergies/ How To Get Rid Of Tinnitus In Children And Adults – 48 Tips
List Of Simple Home Remedies For Ear Infections That You Should Try:
For immediate relief, you can apply some home remedies for ear infections pain. There are some simple home remedies that can help you relieve the pain and other ear infection symptoms. Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best home remedies for ear infections in toddlers, babies, and adults that you can apply at the comfort of your own home.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Ear Infections
An ear infection happens when a viral or bacterial infection affects your middle ear. You can experience pain due to fluid buildup and inflammation in the middle ear. Ear infections can be acute or chronic. Some contributing factors for ear infections include:
- Wax buildup
- Food allergies
- Upper respiratory infections
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Environmental allergies
- Fetal alcohol syndrome
- Changes in air pressure
- Internal injuries
Symptoms of ear infections might persist or naturally disappear. These symptoms can occur in one or even both ears. The symptoms of chronic ear infection can be less noticeable than acute ear infections symptoms. Some common signs people who are suffering from ear infections can experience include:
- Pain in the ear
- Difficulty sleeping
- Tugging at the ear
- Headache, high fever
- Poor response to sounds
- Fluid draining from the ear
- Diarrhea and vomiting
Read on 15 Tips How To Prevent Diarrhea For Babies, Toddlers, Pregnant & Adults to discover some of the most effective tips that can help you prevent diarrhea in children and adults.
II. Best Home Remedies For Ear Infections In Adults, Babies, And Toddlers
There are some natural treatments for ear infections that you can apply with ease at home. In this article, we will show you some of these effective home remedies that are effective in relieving the ear infections symptoms without causing any unwanted side effects. So, if you want to know how to deal with the ear infections symptoms, you should keep both of your eyes on this article.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is the first one among the best home remedies for ear infections in adults that we want to reveal in this article. To get rid of the fungus contributing to the ear infection, you can consider making use of apple cider vinegar. And, you can try this recipe if you want to treat the symptoms of ear infections by using apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water or alcohol.
- Then, dip a cotton ball in this solution.
- Place the cotton ball in your affected ear and let it sit on for about 5 minutes.
- Next, remove the cotton ball and remove the liquid from your ear by laying down on the opposite side
- Finally, dry your ear with a hair dryer.
- Note: If you do not have apple cider vinegar available, you can utilize white vinegar instead.
List of 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss will show you some of the simple ways to use apple cider vinegar for scalp problems, so check it out!
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another great one among the best home remedies for ear infections in toddlers, babies, and adults that you should try out! According to a study about tea tree oil for ear infection , the antibacterial properties found in tea tree oil may give you an instant earache relief.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil, 1 tbsp. of colloidal silver, 2 tbsp. of olive oil, and 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar.
- Slightly, warm up the mixture
- Then, lay down on your side and fill your affected ear with the mixture using a dropper
- Leave it on for about 5 minutes before turning your head in order to drain the mixture out of your ear.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times per day for about 2 days.
If you want to know some of the best tips that can help you get rid of warts on face and other body‘s parts with the help of tea tree oil, read on 24 Ways To Use Tea Tree Oil For Warts On Face, Hand, Scalp, Neck & Finger
3. Best Home Remedies For Ear Infections In Babies, Adults, And Toddlers – Olive Oil
Wax in the ear can catch some bacterial or fungal growth, and this can cause a blockage in your Eustachian tubes, hence leading to an ear infection. You can easily deal with this issue by using olive oil.
- Slightly warm up a few drops of olive oil
- Then, place some warm olive oil into your infected ear.
- Remove the wax in your ear with cotton-tipped swabs. Do not put it too far in the ear to avoid damaging the eardrum.
To know some of the simple ways to treat acne skin and scars on face with the help of olive oil, read on 19 Ways To Use Olive Oil For Acne Skin & Scars Treatment On Face
Garlic contains antimicrobial and pain-relieving properties, making it an effective treatment for ear infections. Some simple ways to use garlic for treating ear infections are:
- Simply, consume two 2-3 raw garlic cloves daily in order to speed up the healing process.
- Cook 2 garlic cloves in 2 tbsp. of mustard oil or sesame oil
- Then, strain the solution to get the garlic oil
- When using, place 2-4 drops of this warm oil in your infected ear
- Boil 2- 3 fresh garlic cloves in some water for about 5 minutes
- Then, crush them before adding some salt.
- Place this mixture in a cloth before placing it against your affected ear.
5. Herbal Tea
Another one among the best home remedies for ear infections in adults, babies, and toddlers is the herbal tea. There are many useful herbal teas that can be used to reduce the symptoms of your ear infections. You can drink them, use them in the context of aromatherapy or apply them directly to your skin. Some great herbal teas for ear infections are ginseng, ginger, mint, rosehip, etc. All of these teas possess antiseptic properties that help boost the immune system, and eliminate the harmful bacteria.
Read More: List Of 29 Best Easy Homemade Drinks Recipes To Lose Weight
Using salt is a simple way among the best home remedies for ear infections in babies, toddlers, and adults. The heat generated from this remedy will help drain the fluid from your ear and simultaneously relieve the pain and swelling caused by ear infections.
- Heat up a cup of salt over low heat for several minutes.
- Then, place it on a cloth and seal it with a rubber band
- Lie down and then place this hot cloth on your affected ear for 5- 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process daily as many times as required.
7. Warm Water Bottle
Applying some heat to your infected ear can help relieve ear infections pain and also prevent micro-organism infestation.
- Press a heating pad or warm water bottle against your infected ear.
- Alternatively, soak a clean washcloth in warm water, squeeze the excess water and then put the warm washcloth on your infected ear.
- Note: Do not apply this remedy for long periods of time. Place it on the ear for 5 minutes, remove it for a moment and then reapply the process as required.
8. Mango Leaf Juice
If you want to know home remedies for ear infections in toddlers, adults and babies that you can make at home, consider making use of mango leaf juice.
- Firstly, crush 2- 3 soft mango leaves to take out the juice.
- Warm up the mango leaf juice.
- Put 3- 4 drops of the juice into your infected ear with the help of a dropper.
- Leave it on for a few minutes until you get a pain relief.
- Repeat this remedy 2- 3 times per day.
9. Best Home Remedies For Ear Infections Pain – Basil Leaves
You can consider using holy basil leaves to treat minor ear infections. You can apply either of the following methods to relieve the pain and reduce the infection.
- Crush 4- 5 fresh holy basil leaves to get the basil juice.
- Then, apply this juice on your infected ear, but do not let it get into your ear canal.
- Mix the equal amounts of holy basil oil and coconut oil.
- Then, soak a cotton ball in this oil mixture
- Use this cotton ball to wipe the inside of the ear, behind the ear and around the outer edge.
- Reapply this remedy twice per day.
10. Breast Milk
This is considered as a natural ingredient you should consider using when it comes to learning the best home remedies for ear infections in babies, adults, and toddlers. Breast milk contains natural antibodies, which help boost up the healing process. Addition to this, it also helps relieve swelling and discomfort within 1- 2 days. This remedy does wonders in both children and adults.
- Place some breast milk into your affected ear using a dropper
- Repeat this process every several hours as required.
If you are looking for home remedies for ear infections in adults, babies, and toddlers, then you should not skip this ingredient. Onion is a common ingredient that is used in our cooking. According to a study about onion juice benefits , onion offers many health benefits, including treating an ear infection.
- Chop a small onion, and warm it up for 1- 2 minutes.
- Let it cool down and then extract out the onion juice.
- Then, place 2- 3 drops of the onion juice in your infected ear
- Leave it on for a few minutes before turning your head to drain the oil from your ear.
- Bake an onion for about 30 minutes
- Cut it into halves and place one half in a cotton cloth.
- Then, place this cloth on your infected ear for about 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes
- Repeat the process if needed.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide
You may know the positive effects of hydrogen peroxide on scrapes and cuts, but do you know that it can help deal with ear infections? If the overload of wax is the cause of your earache, hydrogen peroxide can help break down it and relieve the discomfort related to an ear infection.
- Mix the equal amounts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water
- Then, dip a cotton ball in this solution.
- Lay down with your head tilted, release some of the solution by squeezing the cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then turn your head to drain the solution from your ear.
- Repeat this process a few times daily until this ear infection is gone.
- Note: You can have a slight tingling sensation when applying this remedy, but it is normal.
13. Peppermint Oil
Another essential oil that can be used to relieve the pain and inflammation is peppermint oil. According to a research about home remedies for earache , peppermint oil contains powerful anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties, which help treat an ear infection. You can buy directly peppermint oil or crush some peppermint leaves to extract the oil. Here is the instruction to use peppermint oil for ear infections:
- Firstly, draw peppermint oil into a clean ear dropper.
- Then, drop about 3 drops of the peppermint oil into your affected ear
- Leave it on for about 2- 3 minutes.
- Finally, wipe the oil out using a paper towel.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice per day
14. Home Remedies For Ear Infections In Toddlers, Babies, And Adults – Radish
One of the most effective home remedies for ear infections pain that has been used by many people is radish. Radishes can be used to deal with some health problems, including healing an ear infection. To use radishes to treat your ear infections, you can take the following steps:
- Cut some radishes up and then mix them with olive oil.
- Then, heat this mixture until it becomes warm.
- Filter out the radishes, and then pour the radish oil into a clean ear dropper.
- Next, drop 2- 3 drops of radish oil into your affected ear.
- Repeat this remedy 2- 3 times per day until your ear infections go away.
Do you want to discover other home remedies for ear infections in babies, toddlers and adults in this article? If yes, keep both of your eyes on this informative article and then consider applying one or more of these natural remedies at the comfort of your own home.
15. Mullein Flower Oil
Mullein is a plant that has many healing properties in the roots, leaves and flowers. The mullein flowers can be used to make extracts, oil or tea. The mullein flower oil has analgesic properties that help relieve pain. Besides, it also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve inflammation. Therefore, mullein flower oil is considered as a great natural treatment for ear infections.
- Place some mullein flower oil in a bowl.
- Then, soak a cotton ball in the bowl before placing it in your infected ear
- Leave it on for about 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat this process regularly to relieve pain.
- Mix some mullein flower oil with garlic oil together
- Then, place some of this mixture in your affected ear.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Ginger contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, so it is a great ingredient for treating inner ear infection. By reducing swelling and killing off harmful bacteria, it can help heal your earache.
- Crush the ginger and then extract its juice.
- Then, put the ginger juice into a clean ear dropper.
- Now, drop 2-3 drops of ginger juice into your affected ear.
- Repeat this process 2- 3 times per day for consecutive days.
17. Mineral Oil
Mineral oil is often used to help deal with constipation, and do you know that you can use mineral oil to relieve the pain caused by ear infections. It can break apart wax buildup that can be a cause of earaches.
- Draw a few drops of mineral oil into a clean ear dropper.
- Then, drip 2- 3 drops of mineral oil into your infected ear using the ear dropper.
- Repeat this process throughout the day.
18. Eucalyptus Oil
Another one among the most effective home remedies for ear infection in toddlers is eucalyptus oil. Thanks to its antimicrobial properties, it can flush out harmful bacteria and simultaneously clean your inner ear. You can use this oil in either of the following methods:
- Drip eucalyptus oil into your affected ear.
- Use eucalyptus oil in the context of aromatherapy.
19. Sesame Seed Oil
According to a research about sesame oil benefits , sesame seed oil is loaded with antifungal and antibacterial properties, which make it a great solution to eliminate most of the bacteria causing ear infections. You can buy sesame seed oil directly or crush some sesame seeds to make your own sesame seed oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in the sesame seed oil.
- Then, place it over your affected ear.
- Leave it on for 2-3 minutes before removing it.
- Repeat this process regularly until your pain starts to subside.
20. Bishop’s Weed Oil
This oil can be used to reduce the symptoms of ear infections. This is because it contains antimicrobial properties, so it can help fight against harmful bacteria, and simultaneously clean the ear canal.
- Firstly, put Bishop’s weed oil in a clean ear dropper
- Drip 3- 4 drops of the oil into your affected ear.
- Leave it on for about 2 minutes
- Repeat this process throughout the day.
21. Banana Tree Juice
Another juice that you can use to relieve the symptoms of ear infections is banana tree juice. This juice is made from the banana tree barks, and it contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Firstly, pour some of the banana tree juice into a clean ear dropper.
- Drip 3- 4 drops of this juice into your infected ear
- Leave it on for about 1- 2 minutes.
- Repeat this process once or twice a day
22. Best Home Remedies For Ear Infections Pain – Linseed Oil
Linseed oil is worth mentioning in this list of the best home remedies for ear infections in adults, babies, and toddlers thanks to its multiple benefits for health. This oil contains antimicrobial properties that make it great for killing off pesky bacteria. It is recommended that you should combine linseed oil with other ingredients like ginger or garlic. Simply, drip some linseed oil into your affected ear and leave it on for several minutes. Repeat this home remedy consistently to reduce your pain.
23. Neck Exercises
Doing neck exercises is also a very useful treatment to heal your ear infection. There are some different exercises that you can perform at home to reduce the symptoms of ear infections. Some recommended neck exercises for you include neck extensions, neck rotations, and lymphatic drainage massages. By loosening the muscles around the neck and head, you can redirect the fluids in the ear canal , and relieve the pain in the ears.
Apart from using home remedies for ear infections pain, there are some things you should do to prevent ear infections. They include:
- Wear a scarf or other items to cover your ears when going out in windy weather.
- After taking a shower, dry your eyes with the help of a blow dryer.
- Chew gum when you using elevator or being on an airplane.
- Drink plenty of water every day
- Avoid eating foods that are made with processed sugar
- Consume plenty of green vegetables
- Avoid smoking
- Coat your ears with some mineral oil before you go swimming.
Although it is necessary to contact a medical treatment when you suffer from ear infections, there are some natural remedies that can help relieve the inflammation and pain associated with an ear infection. The remedies as we mentioned above can help deal with minor ear infections. If you have no improvement within several days, you should seek medical attention.
We hope that some of 23 best home remedies for ear infections pain as mentioned above can help resolve your ear issues. You can try any of these remedies at home to relieve the inflammation and pain associated to ear infections without needing to worry about unwanted side effects. One more thing, if you know other effective home remedies for ear infections in toddlers, babies and adults, remember to share them with us by leaving your comments below. We will try to reply as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply