Gout is known as a type of arthritis affecting some different body’s parts such as the ears as well as small joints on the ankles, hands, wrists, or knees. The exact cause of gout is not known, but the high uric acid content in the body may be one of the common reasons. Gout is linked to some other health problems, such as diabetes, hypertension, and uric acid kidney stones, so having proper medical treatment is very important. Besides, some home remedies can provide an instant relief and promote the healing process. Keep reading to learn the best home remedies for gout in foot, shoulder, wrist, leg, arm and knee with Healthy Guide.
- 36 Tips How To Treat Sprained Ankle In Child, Toddlers, & Adults Fast/ Top 26 Best Home Remedies For Leg Pain And Swelling Relief
If you are suffering the symptoms of gout and want to relieve the pain and inflammation by applying some natural treatments, this article may be helpful. In this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best home remedies for gout in foot, shoulder, wrist, leg, arm and knee. Therefore, you should spend time reading this article and then try to apply any of these home remedies for good.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Gout
Gout is painful but it can be easily managed and prevented from developing by using some home remedies. Firstly, you should be aware of a few factors contributing to the development of gout. They include:
- Genetics: A family history of gout has higher risks of developing this painful disease
- Age and gender: Older men are at higher risk of getting gout
- Having unhealthy diet: Consuming purine-rich foods can increase risks of gout.
- Weight: Overweight individuals have more chances to develop gout.
- Exposure to lead
- Alcohol consumption: Overconsumption of alcohol can affect the body’s mechanism to flush out uric acid
- Some health problems such as Kelley-Seegmiller syndrome, hypothyroidism, etc,
- Some certain medications such as niacin, diuretics, cyclosporine, etc.
Read on 23 Tips How To Maintain A Healthy Weight Without Exercise & Harsh Dieting to discover some of the most effective tips that can help maintain a healthy weight without exercise and harsh dieting.
Besides, it is also important to know about the common symptoms of gout:
- Increased content of uric acid in the body’s fluids
- Having uric acid in the joint’s fluid
- Having uric acid deposits in bone joints
- Painful joints
- Tenderness and swelling of the joints
II. Home Remedies For Gout That You Should Try
The following home remedies for how to relieve the symptoms of gout and give you some comfort. They include:
1. Lemon Juice
This should be the first one among home remedies for gout in foot, leg and knee that we want to mention in this article. To get gout pain relief, you need to alkalize the body and simultaneously neutralize the high uric acid content in blood stream. And, the combination of baking soda and fresh lemon juice can be helpful for relieving the gout symptoms.
- Mix the juice taken from one lemon with ½ tsp. of baking soda.
- Leave it on for several seconds till the fizzing stops
- Then, mix this mixture in a glass of water and drink it right away.
- Add the juice of ½ lemon to a cup of water
- Drink this solution three times per day.
- Note: Along with drinking lemon water, you should also consume other vitamin C-rich fruits in order to strengthen the body tissues.
To know some of the health benefits of lemon water, read on Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water – 19 Reasons To Drink It!
2. Home Remedies For Gout In Wrist, Leg, Shoulder, Arm, Knee, & Foot – Epsom Salt
Using Epsom salt is another great one among home remedies for gout in knee, wrist, legs, shoulder, and arm. The high content of magnesium found in Epsom salt can help lower high blood pressure. You just need to soak your affected body’s parts in lukewarm water mixed some Epsom salt to relieve pain and relax the aching muscles.
- Add about 2 cups of Epsom salt to your warm bathwater.
- Soak your affected body’s parts in it until the water cools down.
- Repeat this remedy once a week.
- Note: You can do this 2-3 times per week in case you get severe gout
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in healthy fats that have anti-inflammatory effect on the inflamed and swollen joints. Besides, the polyphenols found in olive oil are also good for this beneficial effect. Also, olive oil helps to remove the toxins from the body thanks to its antioxidants. Simply, you just need to include olive oil in your regular diet to reap its benefits.
List of 19 Ways To Use Olive Oil For Acne Skin & Scars Treatment On Face will show you some of the simple ways to use olive oil for acne skin and scars, so check it out!
Eating at least one apple daily is a healthy habit, especially when you are suffering the gout symptoms. Ideally, you should eat one apple after each meal. This is because the malic acid found in apples can help neutralize the content of uric acid in the body, hence relieving gout inflammation and pain. Apart from eating apples, you can drink apple juice for the same effects.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
If you want to know home remedies for gout in shoulder and arm that you can make at the comfort of your own home, consider making use of apple cider vinegar. Apart from treating acid stomach and headaches, apple cider vinegar can also be used to treat arthritis and gout. The acid content of apple cider vinegar can help relieve gout pain. Also, you can add honey for boosting the anti-inflammatory response of the body.
- Mix 1 tsp. of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in one cup of water.
- Consume it 2-3 times per day.
- Note: If this remedy works, you can increase the amount of apple cider vinegar to up to2 tbsp.
If you want to know some of the best ways to use apple cider vinegar for itchy scalp and dandruff, read on 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss
According to a study about using cherries to treat gout , sweet or sour cherries can also be used to treat the gout symptoms thanks to their antioxidant properties. Besides, cherries are also rich in anthocyanins, which can help reduce pain and inflammation as well as prevent gout from developing. Consuming 15- 20 cherries daily is highly recommended. Another option for gout patients is to drink a cup of black cherry juice on a daily basis. For the better results, add some minced garlic cloves to it.
7. Castor Oil Packs
Castor oil can be used as one of the best home remedies for gout in arm and shoulder. This remedy can help relieve the swelling and pain caused by gout.
- Firstly, pour some castor oil into a tub.
- Soak a towel or a cloth in the castor oil.
- Use the cloth or towel to cover your painful joints
- Ensure it with a bandage and leave it on overnight
8. Home Remedies For Gout- Ginger Root
The anti-inflammatory agents of ginger root can be effective in easing the gout symptoms. There are a few simple ways to treat gout with the help of ginger root. They include:
- Mix equal proportions of turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, and powdered ginger root. Consume 1 tsp. of this mixture along with a cup of warm water. Repeat it twice daily.
- Add ½ tsp. of ginger root to a cup of hot water and blend it well. Consume this solution 1-2 times daily.
- Add ginger root to your daily cooking, or consume a raw piece of ginger root on a daily basis.
- Mix ginger root with some water to create a paste. Then, apply it on your affected body’s parts. Let it sit on for 30 minutes. Repeat this once daily.
9. Baking Soda
Another great one among home remedies for gout in knee and leg is to make use of baking soda. According to a research about gout , an increase of the uric acid content in the body may be a cause of gout. And, using baking soda can be effective in reducing the amount of uric acid, giving you the pain relief.
- Mix ½ tsp. of baking soda in a cup of water.
- Consume this solution 4 times per day within 2 weeks.
- Note: For gout patients above 60 years, do not use this remedy more than 3 times daily. Also, if you have hypertension, ignore this remedy.
10. Activated Charcoal
If you are looking for home remedies for gout in wrist, knee and arm, then you should not skip this ingredient. Activated charcoal has the ability to absorb uric acid; therefore, it can be used to treat the gout symptoms. There are many ways to use activated charcoal for treating gout. They include:
- Mix ½ cup of powdered charcoal in some water to create a paste. Then, place the paste in a tub and then add warm water. Soak yourself for more than 30 minutes. Repeat it twice a week.
- Make a charcoal paste and then apply it on your affected body’s parts. Leave it on for about 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Take activated charcoal capsules for relieving pain and inflammation. However, remember to consult your doctor first.
11. Home Remedies For Gout- Bananas
The high potassium content of bananas can help turn uric acid crystals into the liquid that can be removed from the body through urination. Besides, bananas are also rich in vitamin C, so they can help manage pain and swelling. Simply, you just need to consume 1-2 bananas daily. Alternatively, add a ripe banana to ½ cup of yogurt and then consume it.
12. Cold Water
Using cold water can help reduce pain and swelling caused by gout. Just keep in mind that you should not use ice directly on your affected area when you have gout because this can damage the skin and even make this condition worse. Instead, you should immerse your affected joint in cold water for about 10- 15 minutes. Repeat this home remedy a few times a day. Alternatively, you can place an ice wrapped in a towel on your affected area for about 15 minutes. Do this remedy twice per day.
This is known as a natural ingredient that you should use when it comes to learning home remedies for gout in arm and wrist. Nettles contain anti-inflammatory properties, making them a great solution for the gout symptoms.
- Place 5- 6 nettles leaves in a teapot
- Then, add some hot water and let it steep for about 10 minutes
- Let it cool down and you can add a few drops of raw honey for taste.
- Drink about 2 cups of this tea on a daily basis.
- Place a nettle tea pack in some hot water
- Drink it on a daily basis.
One of the best home remedies for gout in knee and leg that has been used by many gout sufferers is quinoa. Quinoa contains many powerful antioxidants that help maintain healthy tissues and joints; therefore, you can use quinoa as a natural treatment for gout. Simply, boil it and then consume just like rice, or consume quinoa bread instead of whole wheat bread.
15. Home Remedies For Gout In Leg, Shoulder, Knee, Wrist, And Foot – Pineapple
Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain that contains anti-inflammatory properties, which are beneficial for the inflamed joint in gout. Besides, this enzyme is also effective in breaking the uric acid deposits. You can eat pineapple by itself or combine it with other healthy fruits for gout. For the best results, consume 2-4 servings of pineapple daily.
There are some other home remedies for gout in leg, shoulder, wrist, food, and arm this article. So, keep reading this informative article and then try applying any of these natural remedies at home for good.
Kombucha is known as a fermented tea that contains fermented products for good immune system. This drink has also shown to relieve joint pain. You just need to drink 1-2 cups of kombucha tea a day. Just remember that if you have any discomfort after drinking kombucha tea, you have to stop drinking it immediately.
Kale is worth mentioning in this list of great home remedies for gout in knee, leg and foot due to its multiple benefits for health. Kale has high content of vitamin C, which helps reduce the levels of uric acid in the body’s fluids, thus relieving the symptoms of gout.
When it comes to learning home remedies for gout in arm, shoulder and wrist, papaya is a really great treatment for the inflammation and pain caused by gout. The enzyme called papain found in papaya can help relieve the swelling and inflammation at the joints. Besides, it helps eliminate the uric acid by increasing the alkalinity in the body. Simply, remove its seeds, cut it into some small pieces and then eat it every day.
19. Celery Seeds
Another one among effective home remedies for gout in foot, leg and knee is celery seeds, which is highly recommended for those with gout. Celery seeds help in eliminating uric acid from the body. You can use celery seed in the form of extract capsules. Take a 500mg celery seed extract capsule with water. Take it twice a day.
In regard to learning home remedies for gout in shoulder, foot, leg and knee, you should consider making use of yogurt. Yogurt as well as other dairy products can be used to lower the levels of uric acid in the body. Simply, you just need to eat a cup of plain yogurt along with your meals. Have 2-3 servings of yogurt daily.
21. Fish Oil
This is another one among home remedies for gout in arm, shoulder and wrist that you should know and then try making use for good. According to a study about fish oil for gout , fish oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which helps reduce the inflammation and pain caused by gout. Take fish oil capsules every day after consulting your doctor advice.
22. Vegetable Juice
When it comes to learning about the best and most effective home remedies for gout in leg, wrist, knee, arm, and foot, you should consider drinking vegetable juice. Some kinds of vegetables are very rich in vitamins and minerals, which are very healthy for joints and tissues.
- Place some cucumbers and beet in a blender to extract about 100ml of the juice
- Then, place carrots in the blender to have about 300 ml of carrot juice.
- Blend them together and drink it every day.
23. Home Remedies For Gout- Lime
This is another one among home remedies for gout in wrist, arm and shoulder that you should not look down, but consider making use for good. Limes are rich in citric acids, which help in reducing the uric acid levels in the gout.
- Squeeze ½ lime to get the juice.
- Then, add some water to the juice.
- Drink the lime juice twice per day.
24. French Bean Juice
Consuming French bean juice is another one among home remedies for gout in arm and shoulder since it can help reduce the uric acid levels. Simply, drink the French bean juice twice per day.
Garlic can be used to prevent and treat some health problems. The anti-inflammatory properties of garlic can be effective in relieving the pain and swelling. You can eat a pod of raw garlic daily or add it to your daily dishes.
26. Fenugreek Seeds
This is another one among home remedies for gout in shoulder, leg, arm, leg, and foot that you should not look down, yet try consuming for good. Fenugreek seeds can help relieve the pain and inflammation in gout. Now, follow the steps below if you want to treat the gout symptoms:
- Put 1 tsp. of the fenugreek seed in a bowl.
- Add some water to it and let it stay overnight.
- Consume the seeds and the liquid every morning.
27. Vitamin C
Taking vitamin C is also a great natural treatment for gout symptoms. You can easily find this vitamin in many kinds of citrus fruits, such as lemons, oranges, kiwi, etc.
- Eat the vitamin C- rich fruits every day.
- Take 500-1000mg of vitamin C supplement twice a day.
Bromelain is known as a healthy enzyme extracted from the pineapple cores and it is good for digestion system. It can be used to reduce the levels of uric acid, hence relieving the swelling and pain caused by gout.
- Wash a pineapple carefully.
- Peel it and then cut into some small slices.
- Place these slices of pineapple in a blender to extract the juice
- Drink the pineapple juice every day.
All kinds of berries contain antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and vitamin C, all of which help reduce the pain and swelling caused by gout. You can add berries to your daily diet by consuming some raw berries or drinking the berry juice every day. Actually, this is known as one of the best home remedies for gout in shoulder, foot, leg, arm, and knee that you should know and then
30. Carom Seeds And Ginger
The combination of carom seeds and ginger can help you sweat and lower the levels of uric acid in the body. We all know that ginger contains wonderful power to protect us from the pain and swelling.
- Mix a small piece of ginger with ½ tsp. of carom seeds.
- Then, place them in a pot before adding some water.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and then strain the liquid
- Drink this liquid twice a day.
31. Home Remedies For Gout In Shoulder, Foot, Arm, Knee, And Leg – Turmeric
Like ginger, turmeric can also be used as one of the best and most effective home remedies for gout in leg, arm, knee, shoulder, and foot that you should try out!
- Add some turmeric powder to a cup of coconut milk.
- Drink this mixture on a daily basis.
- Add some turmeric powder to a cup of water
- Drink it every day.
Coriander contains powerful antioxidants that help reduce the level of uric acid.
- Wash some coriander and then place them in a cup.
- Add some water to the cup and then drink this mixture
Hydrotherapy is a great way to reduce the swelling and pain in gout, making it one of the best home remedies for gout in foot, in arm, shoulder, leg, and knee that you should try out!
- Have a basin of cool water and another of lukewarm water.
- Soak your affected area in the basin of lukewarm water
- Let it sit on for about a minute.
- Then, soak your affected area in the basin of cool water.
- Let it sit on for about a minute.
- Next, change to the basin of lukewarm water.
- Do the repetition for 6- 7 times.
III. How To Treat Gout Through Diet And Lifestyle Changes
Apart from applying the most effective home remedies for gout in wrist, leg, shoulder, arm, and foot, you should make some diet and lifestyle changes to boost the healing process and prevent the gout symptoms from worsening.
1. Control The Diet
To prevent and treat the gout symptoms, you should exclude the following foods that are rich in purine from your daily diet plan:
- Meat such as pork, beef, lamb, rabbit, bacon, venison, etc.
- Commercial gravy
- Seafood such as herring, mackerel, scallops, anchovies, etc.
Besides, you should reduce the intake of the following foods:
- Fish and seafood
- Wheat germ, wheat bran and oatmeal
- Dried peas, beans and legumes
- A few vegetables like cauliflower, spinach, and asparagus
2. Control Your Weight
According to a research , being overweight is one of the common triggering factors for gout. So, if you want to reduce the risks of gout attack, it is very important for you to control your weight. Regular exercise is a great solution for you to take in order to prevent gout attacks.
3. Eliminate Caffeine And Alcohol
Alcohol can dehydrate the body and this can lead to a gout attack. Therefore, if you are diagnosed with gout, you should stop drinking alcohol. Besides, caffeine is also a triggering factor for gout attacks. So, you should also stay away from products that have high content of caffeine. They include chocolates, coffee, cocoa, tea, etc.
4. Home Remedies For Gout In Knee, Leg, Arm, Shoulder, And Foot – Stay Hydrated
One of the main reasons why the kidneys  cannot excrete uric acid from the body is the dehydration. As a result, you should keep your body hydrated in order to help with the uric acid extraction. Remember to drink at least 2l of water daily to remove the uric acid and other toxins from the body.
5. Take Extra Care Of The Joints
This is the last one among effective home remedies for gout in wrist and knee that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers, especially gout sufferers to apply for good. Getting rest is an effective way of taking care of the joints. Also, you should minimize the time you spend on your joints.
If you are suffering from the symptoms of gout, you can consider applying any of these home remedies to get relief from the inflammation and pain. Just remember that time and determination is important for treating gout. Also, before applying any of these remedies, consult your doctor for the proper dosage.
We hope that some of these home remedies as mentioned above are helpful for your condition. You can easily apply any of these remedies at home to help relieve the pain and swelling caused due to gout. Also, if you know other home remedies for gout in foot, shoulder, wrist, arm leg and knee, feel free to share them with other readers by leaving your comments in the comment box below.