Leg pain, coming on after having a walk for a moderate distance, usually rises from narrowing of blood vessels leading to the areas. Pain or discomfort anywhere in the leg could vary from a dull ache to an extreme stabbing sensation. Actually, most leg pain happens because of overuse or injuries. This discomfort usually disappears in a short of time and could be eased with natural home remedies. Leg pain can happen in the foot, knee, ankle, behind the knee, thigh, or any part of the leg. It may happen at night whilst lying down, or while exercising or running, depending on the cause. This article from Healthy Guide will give you basics about leg pain and how to treat this condition effectively by using natural ingredients without causing side effects or costing too much. Just take a look!
I. Home Remedies for Leg Pain – Common Causes Of Leg Pain
Typically, the leg pain is a consequence of tissue inflammation which is caused by disease or injury. Because leg pain has a number of different tissue types and structures, a large amount of conditions as well as injuries can lead to leg pain. Some kinds of leg pain could be traced to issues in your lower spine. Also, leg pain could be caused by varicose veins, blood clots and poor circulation.
Some common causes of leg pain include:
– Achilles tendon rupture
– Broken leg
– Baker’s cyst
– Bone cancer
– Chronic exertional compartment syndrome
– Hamstring injury
– Herniated disk
– Knee bursitis
– Muscle cramps
– Varicose veins
II. Home Remedies For Leg Pain – Signs And Symptoms Of Leg Pain
– Leg cramps: this is a transient episode of pain, often for a few minutes, when the muscle – often the calf at the back of lower legs – gets into spasm, which are out of control. During cramps, there is a tightening sensation, which is much more common at night in the old.
– Pain when climbing stairs or even walking
– Pain happens in the thighs, buttocks, calves, and feet
III. 26 Must –Try Home Remedies For Leg Pain And Swelling
1. Salt Water Dip
This is the simplest choice among home remedies for leg pain. Place your feet in the warm water will help you legs relieve tiredness. This tried-and-tested way gives almost instant results. What you need to do is:
– Take a bucket of hot water, add 1 tablespoon of salt to it
– Soak your legs in that solution for 15 minutes or so
– Repeat this routine whenever you feel tiredness in your legs.
2. Essential Oils
This method is rather similar to the above but instead of using only warm water, you can add your chosen essential oils to promote its effects.
– Add 4-5 drops of eucalyptus oil and 4-5 drops of rosemary oil plus with 2 drops of peppermint oil into a bucket of hot water.
– Soak your feet in that solution for 10 minutes
That way, you leg pain will disappear soon.
3. Cold Compress
After strenuous physical activities, if leg pain happens, you could apply cold compresses. This will decrease the pain and cramps by numbing the impacted areas and take control of inflammation and swelling.
Take these steps:
– Take a few ice cubes to wrap them up in the thin towel
– Apply the pack over your affected areas for 10 minutes, keep your legs elevated
– Reapply this method a few times per day
Warning: Do not apply ice cubes directly over your skin because it might cause frostbite.
Learn more: 19 Best Tips On How To Stop Hand Tremors At Home
Among home remedies for leg pain, this may be the most comfortable. Massage can boost the recovery of muscle damage resulted by leg pain. According to a study published in 2012, researchers showed that only 10 minutes of massage could attenuate the inflammatory signaling after muscle damage.
Furthermore, by massage, you can improve blood circulation and help relieve anxiety and stress.
– Rub warm mustard oil or olive oil on your affected areas
– Use gently but firm strokes to massage your legs for 10 minutes or so
– Reapply this method twice or thrice per day
You could also make use of a certain self-massage device or use a tennis ball to apply pressure to the sore muscles.
Among home remedies for leg pain, turmeric is easy-to-find. This simple ingredient with its antioxidants and anti-inflammation properties can relieve pain naturally. The compound named curcumin in turmeric can inhibit some different molecules which play a basic role in pain and inflammation.
– Make a paste by mixing sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder together. Apply the paste over your affected areas and gently rub it. After 30 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. Follow this method twice per day till your pain disappears.
– Drink a glass of hot turmeric milk 1-2 times per day
– Take turmeric as your dietary supplement, but do not forget to consult the guidance of your doctor.
Warning: In case you are taking blood-thinning medicine, you should consult your doctor before using turmeric as a medicine.
Containing anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can reduce inflammation and pain. Even, it helps improve blood flow and circulation, thereby relieving muscle pain.
Follow these steps:
– Massage the affected areas using ginger oil twice or thrice per day till the pain disappears.
– Or, you can drink ginger tea twice or thrice per day. In order to make this tea, simmer the fresh ginger slices in 1 cup of water for about 10 minutes. If you want to increase its taste, add honey and lemon juice.
– If you choose the supplement form to take, consult your doctor.
Warning: Do not take too much ginger because it may cause blood-thinning.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can take advantage of apple cider vinegar to reduce your leg pain and swelling. This ingredient is very good for gout and arthritis pain thanks to alkalizing properties. This nature can help in dissolving the uric acids crystals within your blood.
Moreover, it also helps eliminate the establishment of toxins within the joints as well as connective tissues. Additionally, it has calcium, potassium, and other essential minerals necessary for easing inflammation and pain.
– Add 1-2 cups of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar to the bathtub added with warm water.
– Soak your legs into the solution for 30 minutes, once daily for several days.
– Alternatively, put 1-2 tablespoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar into 1 glass of the warm water, followed by honey. Drink the mixture twice per day.
The next one in this list of best home remedies for leg pain is lemon. Being a rich source of antioxidants, lemon can ease pain naturally. Using it can help you maintain pH levels of the body, thereby preventing inflammation and pain.
Follow these guidelines to make use of lemon as one of home remedies for leg pain:
– Mix castor oil and lemon juice with the ratio of 1:1. Massage your affected areas with this mixture twice or thrice per day.
– Add the juice of a lemon plus with raw honey to 1 cup of tepid water. Then, drink this solution twice per day.
9. Vitamin D
It is shown that people having low levels of vitamin D tend to have non-specific symptoms like backache, leg pain, body aches and thigh pain. Vitamin D, in essence, helps in regulating two important minerals – phosphorus and calcium, which are necessary for muscle and nerve functioning.
Hence, to fight leg pain, you should expose yourself to early morning sunlight for about 10 minutes per day. This will help your own body produce vitamin D naturally.
10. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has magnesium, which is important electrolyte helping regulate nerve signals within your body. Even, it serves as a natural muscle relaxant and helps in decreasing pain, swelling and inflammation. Follow these instructions:
– Add ½ cup of Epsom salt to the hot bath, stir it thoroughly
– Soak your legs in this solution for 10 – 15 minutes
– Repeat this routine twice or thrice per week
Additionally, add more magnesium-rich foods like pumpkin seeds, soymilk, tofu, bananas, blackstrap molasses, walnuts, green leafy veggies and whole grains to you daily diet. Also, you could take supplements, but under the supervision of your doctor.
11. Tart Cherry Juice
If you think that strenuous physical activities are the cause of your leg pain and swelling, then drink tart cherry juice can help you relieve pain effectively. Thanks to anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, tart cherries can prevent as well as treat soft tissue pain and injury.
The study published in the Medicine & Sports Science Journal in 2012 had shown that tart cherry juice is a safer treatment for muscle pain along with inflammation in compared with OTC pain relievers.
What you need to do is to consume ½ cup of organic, fresh tart cherries or drink 1 cup of the tart cherry juice once per day.
Warning: Do not consume tart cherry juice if it triggers abdominal discomfort or diarrhea.
12. Take More Magnesium
When it comes to home remedies for leg pain, this may be a long-term remedy. Magnesium is something that the human body needs, but we could not make it by ourselves. It can relax all muscles as well as nerve endings in our bodies, thereby relieving pain and stiffness. Even, it is a factor contributing to our heart beat. It is also good for leg pain because it helps the bones to mineralize. People who have a magnesium-rich diet have higher bone density as well as overall stronger bones. To get magnesium, there are some ways you could do:
– Supplements: you can make use of magnesium capsules but they work best if used in conjunction with the improved diet.
– Diet: supplements cannot do everything. That is why they should be combined with a proper diet which is rich in magnesium. Foods high in magnesium include nuts, legumes, and dark leafy greens such as spinach.
– Oil: magnesium oil can be used topically and absorbed via your skin. Rub it over your sore joints in order to relieve pain.
13. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Olive oil is consistent, so it is thought to lubricate your joints as well as leg pain. It actually does. The major compound in extra virgin olive oil named oleocanthal may inhibit those inflammatory enzymes COX-1 and 2, similar to aspirin and Advil does. Many studies showed that just 1 ½ tablespoon of extra virgin oil equals to 200mg of ibuprofen. Nonetheless, not every type of oil is the same. Heat damages oleocanthal, so it is essential to use extra virgin olive oil / cold – pressed. The level of oleocanthal will depend on the ripeness of olives when they were pressed. It is shown that the stronger taste the oils has, the higher level of oleocanthal presents. It could be taken internally in order to take all benefits of this ingredient for leg pain, but olive oil is also rich in calories, so it could be replaced for fats, such as butter or cooking oils.
Steps to take:
– Rub a little bit of 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil onto your affected legs twice per day.
– Then, massage it gently.
If you want to take this oil daily, you should remove other form of fat in your diet because of the high calorie count in this oil.
14. Dandelion Leaves
Being rich in vitamins A and C, dandelion leaves could be useful in repairing those damaged tissue and support the liver clear toxins out of your blood. Many studies, despite limited, have shown anti-inflammatory properties because of the presence of linoleic acid in them. Linoleic, an essential fatty acid necessary for the human body can produce prostaglandin, which regulates the immune responses as well as suppresses pain and inflammation. Due to its involvement with the immune responses, dandelion can be very helpful in treating leg pain. You can take advantage of this ingredient in the form of salad or tea.
Take the following steps:
– Add fresh dandelion leaves and dried dandelion leaves with the ratio of 3:1 in a cup of boiling water. Then, let it steep for a few minutes before straining it up. Drink the tea twice per day. Dandelion is bitter so you could add honey to help sweeten it up a little bit.
– If you want to make salad from dandelion leaves, then toss them with a little amount of olive oil (extra virgin).
15. Blackstrap Molasses
Being high in important minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium, blackstrap molasses is one of great home remedies for leg pain and swelling. Blackstrap molasses can be used in the dietary supplement form to relieve symptoms of leg pan, because of its vital constituents which regulate the muscle and nerve function, and improving bone strength.
– Take a cup of the combination of 1 tablespoon of fresh blackstrap molasses with water. Then, heat it up till it gets warm, not hot. Stir it well before drinking once per day. This could give a laxative effect in some cases.
16. White Willow Tea
Do you know that this the original form of aspirin? Really, before aspirin was developed, white willow bark was used commonly. This ingredient is effective because of the active ingredient named salicin. This compound is converted within your body into salicylic acid, which is similar to acetyl salicylic acid – an active ingredient in aspirin. However, as the naturally happening salicin is converted after getting through our stomach, it has less irritation or side effects. You could take it in the capsule form and also the tea form.
To make the tea made from white willow bark, follow these steps:
– Boil 1 cup of plain water, let it simmer after a few minutes of boiling.
– Add 2 teaspoons of the chipped or powdered white willow bark, let it infuse for 15 minutes or so. Then, remove it from the heat and wait for 30 minutes to let it steep. Drink the tea twice per day, but because it is bitter, so you can add lemon and honey to taste.
When it is hard and painful to move, you may not want to get up or exercise. Despite it sounds unpleasant, exercise is extremely vital for those people having any form of joint pain, stiffness or arthritis. By exercising, you can take control of weight and strengthen the muscles supporting joints. If you are inactive, the synovial fluid within your joints will become consistent thick gel, but when you move and warm up, that liquid starts to be more viscous and could lubricate your joints and naturally keep them operating smoothly. Just imagine if you stay at a place every day, sooner or later, you will be stiff, but if you move around every day, you will become stronger as well as loosen up.
Apply these tips:
– Go for a brisk walk daily. Begin with 15 minutes of brisk walk
– Do joint-targeted exercises, stretches to help your leg move around and avoid pain as well as stiffness.
18. Peppermint And Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus and peppermint have pain-relieving, analgesic properties. They give temporary cooling sensation over your pain and discomfort, thereby soothing your leg pain.
Take the following steps to make use of these oils as home remedies for leg pain:
– Blend peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil together with the ratio of 1:1) (about 5 to 10 drops), mix them with 1-2 tablespoons of a carrier oil. This type of oil is necessary to dilute the essential oil so that it does not irritate your skin. You can choose grapeseed oil, olive oil or something like (not necessarily it has to be oil). Store the mixture in a dark glass bottle and place it in the area that is away from sunlight. Rub into your joint if you feel pain.
19. Juniper Berry Tea
According to a research published in 2009 of the Journal of Ethnopharmacology”, it was found that juniper berries can help with leg pain and arthritis pain because of a component named terpinen-4-ol. This can suppress a kind of white blood cells named monocytes, acting as a part of your immune system. Monocytes respond to signals of inflammation. In those leg pain sufferers, their immune system attack normal, healthy joint tissues for no apparent reason, causing pain, inflammation, and function loss. If taken every day, juniper might be able to decrease the uncomfortable inflammation due to its terpene content. Just prickly juniper along with common juniper varieties was efficient for this problem.
– Boil 1 cup of fresh water and add 1 tablespoon of dried juniper berry in the mug.
– Pour boiling water over berries, allow them to steep for 20 minutes or so before straining.
– Drink 1 cup twice per day (add honey into the mixture to taste).
Warning: Do not consume juniper berry tea if you are getting pregnant.
20. Gin And Golden Raisins
This is an interesting remedy among home remedies for leg pain introduced here. Gins flavor is originated from juniper berries mentioned above that have anti-inflammatory properties. Golden raisins require sulfides upon processing to have characteristic color. Sulfides are often found in chondrotin and glucosamine, which a lot of people claim that they are helpful treatments for leg pain. This remedy had been used since at least 20 years ago. Some people praise it while others reported a limited success with it.
– Prepare 1 cup of gin and ½ cup of the golden raisins. Mix them together so that the gin can cover the raisins. Cover the mixture with a towel and store them in a dark place till gins have evaporated (for a couple of weeks). Consume 9 of raisins every day. It may take a few weeks to see noticeable results.
21. Bosweilla Supplements
Being a flowering plant originated from Asia and Africa, Bosweilla’s extract or gum resin can work as an anti-inflammatory substance and a pain-killer as well. It can work against the inflammation by killing white blood cells which cause swelling and pain. Also, it can help shrink the tissue which has become painful and inflamed.
Generally, it is taken in a tablet supplement form, like a vitamin. Also, it is sold at health stores as well as online.
22. Grape Juice And Pectin
Being a water soluble carbohydrate compound found in cell walls of plants, pectin is extracted from fruit to use as the setting in jellies and jams. It is popular as a treatment for arthritis (and also one of home remedies for leg pain) when mixed with grape juice. Despite more studies need to be carried out, many people said that they noticed great relief from their leg pain when using it. The grape juice, on the other hand, can deal with inflammation.
Add 1 tablespoon of liquid pectin to 1 glass of grape juice. Drink that solution once or twice per day. That way, you can treat leg pain effectively and naturally.
The reason why yoga can help you get rid of leg pain is that it gets you moving, similar to what exercise can do for you. Not like OTC medications which just offer temporary relief for leg pain, yoga offers long-term relief from inflammation and pain in your legs as well as other body pats. In addition, it also helps you stay healthy and fit. Try some yoga postures and you can reduce the symptoms of leg pains.
Among yoga poses, there are four noticeable ones which can bring positive effects to your leg pain quickly. These are easy-to-practice postures which not only help you deal with leg muscle pain but also make your bones and spines stronger.
– Sit down with legs crossed.
– Place the hands on your thighs
– Make sure that your head and back remain straight and erect
– Hold this posture for a certain amount of time, breathe in a relaxed way.
This pose will facilitate your blood circulation, thereby diminishing leg pain steadily.
Shoulder stand posture:
This pose relieves leg cramps and soothes muscles of your body.
– Lie on your back, lift the legs together
– Lift your legs tilt the lower body weight is shifted onto your shoulders, head and neck.
Keep this position for some time and revert to the normal sleeping position slowly
This pose will boost blood supply to your heart while easing leg pain.
People at all ages could perform this pose easily. It is rather simple.
– Lie on the floor with your arms and legs spread apart normally
– Disengage your mind from all thoughts whilst holding this pose
This pose will help you relax all of the muscles of the body effectively.
This posture works on your back, helping release tension in your leg muscles to a great level.
– Lie down on the stomach. Make sure that your elbows rested under your shoulders
Put a proper pressure on your palms which are stretched forwards, and on the upper foot part.
– Raise your head upwards, keep breathing
– Keep this position for a few seconds and return to the starting position.
Try low-impact swimming for sciatica leg pain or knee pain
As the human body is more buoyant in water, so swimming can relieve your leg pain significantly. Water provides resistance for your muscles to work against. This activity is beneficial for the human body at almost all levels. Also, those water-based activities could be good for leg pain, like water aerobics. This is one of the most relaxing home remedies for leg pain you should try.
25. Stay Hydrated
It is said that staying hydrated is the key to avoiding leg pain and leg cramps. When you stay dehydrated, or when you are out of balance, you might experience muscle cramping. This is a common issue and you could solve it by drinking more water, including beverages containing electrolytes. Warrant that you drink at least 8 glasses (8-ounce each) of water each day.
26. Avoid Foods That Worsen Leg Pain
Leg pain could be worsened because of inflammation in joints. Thus, foods increasing inflammation should be avoided, which are:
– Sugars and refined carbohydrates
– Fried / processed foods
– Salt as well as other preservatives
– Saturated fats
– Corn oil
Instead of eating these foods, you should add fresh fruits and veggies to your daily diet. Make sure that you choose dark green along with orange veggies like spinach, kale, broccoli, squash and sweet potatoes.
Also, whole grains are important, so replace white rice with the brown one. Choose popcorn, oatmeal and whole wheat pasta. Other foods like calcium-rich foods such as non-fat or low-fat milk and yogurt can provide extra nutrients that the human body needs. Finally, do not forget proteins from lean sources like beans, chicken and seafood.
Home Remedies For Leg Pain – Additional Tips
– Apply the gel that contains 0.0125 capsaicin onto your affected areas to lessen pain
– Consume 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard mixed in 1 glass of water 2 times per day for several days. It will improve muscle functioning.
– Drink 2-3 cups of the green tea every day
– Keep your cholesterol and blood pressure under control
– Avoid drinking alcohol, or drink in moderation
– Avoid smoking and even secondhand smoke
– If you suffer from diabetes, do something to manage your blood sugar levels.
– Manage stress to lessen your symptoms
Take time to stretch both before and after doing exercise in order to prevent leg pain
– Do stretching exercise for about 10 minutes every day.
There, you have learnt top 26 useful home remedies for leg pain introduced in the How To page of our website. These are all easy-to-follow and effective home treatments. If you have contributing ideas about this topic, feel free to leave your words below this post of “Top 26 Best Home Remedies for Leg Pain”, we will feedback as soon as possible.