A migraine is defined by a throbbing pain and it tends to worsen with movement. Symptoms of migraines are various and patients often experience some sensory warning signs like flashes of light, blind spots, increased sensitivity to sound and light, vomiting, nausea and tingling in the legs and arms. Although there is no cure for migraines, patients with this kind of headache can try a few home remedies to reduce their frequency and relieve the migraine symptoms.
- 15 Tips How To Use Essential Oils For Headaches With 15 Great Oils/ 15 Tips How To Get Rid Of Headaches Naturally And Fast In Men & Women
List Of Home Remedies For Headaches
There are many natural home remedies for headaches that Healthy Guide wants to mention in this interesting article. Actually, all of these remedies use natural ingredients that you can find available in your kitchen. Also, these remedies are safe without causing any side effect, so you can feel secure when applying any of them at home.
I. Common Causes Of Migraines
Migraines are one of the most common health conditions worldwide. A few potential causes of a migraine include:
- Physical and mental stress
- Overconsumption of alcohol
- Exposure to bright lights, strong smells or loud noises
- Irregular sleep
- Low blood sugar
- Poor posture
Read on Top 48 Best Home Remedies For Stress Relief And Removal to discover some of the best natural remedies that can help you relieve stress and anxiety.
II. Home Remedies For Migraines That You Should Try
If you are suffering from the symptoms of migraines, you should consider applying any of the following home remedies. Now, in order to know how to beat migraine attacks and reduce the frequency of migraines, keep both of your eyes on this interesting article.
1. Ice Pack
This is the first one among natural home remedies for migraines and vomiting, nausea that we would like to reveal in this article. Using an ice pack can help reduce tension and migraine headaches because it has a numbing effect. Simply, wrap some ice cubes in a towel before placing it on your forehead, temples, and the back of your neck. Leave it on for about 10- 15 minutes. Repeat this remedy as needed. Also, you can try alternating cold and hot compresses for 15 minutes.
List of 40 Best Home Remedies For Headaches Or Migraines In Toddlers & Adults will show you some of the best natural treatments for migraines and headaches, so check it out!
2. Home Remedies For Migraines – Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is known as a great natural remedy for migraines as it can enhance circulation and simultaneously increase blood flow. Addition to this, cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin that acts as a natural painkiller.
- Mix ½- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper in about a cup of lukewarm water.
- Add some raw honey and fresh lemon juice for flavour.
- Drink this solution as needed.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help in reducing migraines. Besides, this kind of vinegar also helps with detoxification, regulates high blood pressure, controls blood sugar, relieves bone pain, relieves constipation and promotes weight loss.
- Add 1 tbsp. of undiluted apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of raw honey in this solution
- Drink this on a daily basis to treat migraines.
If you want to know some of the simplest ways to treat dandruff and itchy scalp with the help of apple cider vinegar, read on 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss
According to a study , chamomile contains antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, all of which help in relieving migraines. Besides, the regular consumption of chamomile tea can help prevent migraine attacks. To use chamomile as a migraine treatment, you can apply either of the following methods:
- Add 2-3 tsp. of dried chamomile flowers to about a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep it for a few minutes.
- Optionally, add some raw honey and lemon juice for taste.
- Strain and drink the chamomile tea 3-4 times daily.
- Add equal amounts of horehound, meadowsweet and chamomile to a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for more than 5 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink the tea.
- Repeat this remedy as needed.
5. Lavender Oil
This soothing essential oil can be used to relieve stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia, hence treating headaches caused by stress and anxiety. Lavender oil contains linalyl acetate and linalool, both of which are easily absorbed and relieve painful headaches. Plus, this essential oil is safe for both young children and pregnant women thanks to its mild nature. You can use lavender oil in many different ways, including inhalation, diffusion, and topical usage. You can massage 1-2 drops of lavender oil on your neck and temples. For a better result, add some drops of lavender essential oil to a bowl of boiling water. Then, deeply inhale the steam for 15 minutes.
To know some of the best benefits of lavender oil for health and beauty, read on 34 Best Lavender Oil Benefits For Acne, Face, Skin, Scalp, Hair, & Health
Feverfew is another one among home remedies for migraines that you should try out. According to a research , this herb has a powerful compound called parthenolide, which has been found to reduce spasms in muscle tissues and simultaneously prevent inflammation and pain.
- Add 1 tsp. each of dried feverfew and peppermint leaves to a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for about half an hour.
- Then, strain and drink this herbal tea several times throughout the day.
- Repeat this remedy as needed.
- Consume 2-3 fresh feverfew leaves or take 50-100mg of dried leaf capsules daily. Just remember to consult a doctor before taking the supplement.
7. Home Remedies For Migraines – Lemon
If you are looking for home remedies for migraines and vomiting, you should not skip this remedy. Lemon contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great home remedy for migraines.
- Pound the lemon crusts and then mix them with water to create a paste.
- Then, apply this paste on your forehead
- Let it sit on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cut a fresh lemon in half before rubbing it on your temples and forehead.
- Add some drops of fresh lemon juice to your regular herbal tea and then drink it.
Read More: Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water – 19 Reasons To Drink It!
When you experience the symptoms of a migraine attack, you should eat a green apple right away to help reduce its. This is because the smell of an apple has been found to reduce the severity of migraine, especially for people who find its smell pleasing. Actually, consuming apples is known as one of the best home remedies for migraines and nausea that you should give it a try!
When it comes to learning home remedies for migraines and vomiting, you should consider making use of peppermint. The anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and calming properties found in peppermint can help relieve the pain and inflammation associated with migraines.
- Drink peppermint tea mixed with honey.
- Repeat this tea as needed.
- Massage your temples with some peppermint oil or a mixture of peppermint and lavender oils.
- Let it sit on for about 20- 30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy several times daily until you get relief.
Ginger has been found to treat common migraines. It can block chemicals called prostaglandins, which promote muscle contractions and regulate inflammation in the brain.
- Crush some ginger pieces and place them in a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for half an hour.
- Strain it and then sip while it is hot.
- Drink it a couple of times throughout the day
- Try to drink the ginger tea at the onset of your migraine.
- Chew on a small piece of ginger root.
Do you want to discover other effective home remedies for migraines and vomiting? Continue to read this interesting article and then try to apply one or more of these natural remedies at the comfort of your home whenever you feel that a migraine attacks you.
Drinking a cup of coffee can help you get rid of the symptoms of migraine headache. This is because it contains a compound called caffeine, which can restrict blood vessels and simultaneously block certain receptors causing the migraine. For the better results, you can add some fresh lemon juice to your coffee. Just take not that in some cases, caffeine may cause migraines and drinking coffee too much can make your headache worse.
12. Lemon Citrus Oil
Thanks to its refreshing scent, lemon citrus oil works wonders in treating terrible headaches, colds, stress, depression, sore throats, fatigue and loss of energy. Simply, you just need to diffuse some lemon citrus essential oil in a diffuser machine for the entire night to relieve congestion and headaches.
13. Home Remedies For Migraines – Eucalyptus Oil
Another great essential oil to deal with a migraine is eucalyptus oil. This essential oil contains anti-inflammatory and pain- reducing properties, making it a great migraine remedy. Now, if you want to use eucalyptus oil for treating migraines, you just need to take the following steps:
- Add 5-6 drops of eucalyptus oil to a big bowl of hot water
- Use a towel to cover your neck, head and shoulders and lean over the bowl.
- Deeply inhale the steam for more than 5 minutes to relieve congestion.
- Repeat this remedy if the pain resurfaces.
14. Rosemary Oil
If you do not know natural home remedies for migraines and nausea, you can consider making use of rosemary oil. Containing anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties enables rosemary oil to become a great cure for migraines.
- Place 2-3 drops of rosemary oil in the palms
- Then, cup them over your mouth and nose.
- Deeply breathe in and out for about 30 seconds.
15. Flaxseed Oil
This essential oil is good for treating migraines because it is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Simply, mix 1-2 drops of flaxseed oil in 1 tsp. of coconut oil or jojoba oil. Then, massage your temples with this oil mixture for quick relief. Leave it on for about 20 minutes before washing it off.
16. Basil-Honey Tea
This is another one among best home remedies for migraines and nausea, vomiting that you should try at the comfort of your home. Migraines can be cured effectively by using basil. This herb can help soothe your nerves and help you fight a stubborn headache.
- Place a few basil leaves in a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain and add 1 tsp. of raw honey and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this warm herbal tea daily.
17. Rosemary Tea With Sage Or Thyme
Drinking a cup of rosemary tea can be a great option for curing migraines. This is because rosemary contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain. Sage contains antioxidant and antibiotic properties while thyme contains antifungal, antiviral, and antibiotic properties.
- Add a handful each of rosemary leaves and sage or thyme leaves to a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Then, strain the decoction and add some raw honey for taste.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this herbal tea daily for good results.
18. Green Tea
The caffeine found in green tea helps improve blood circulation in the brain, hence relieving a headache. Also, it also improves the nervous systems and simultaneously removes harmful free radicals from your body.
- Place some green tea leaves or a green tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Then, strain the tea and drink while it is still hot.
- Add some raw honey and fresh lemon juice for taste.
- Drink 3-4 cups of green tea daily for the best results.
19. Home Remedies For Migraines – Fish Oil
According to a study , fish oil contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties, so the regular consumption of fish oil can help reduce the frequency and severity of migraines. You just need to take a fish oil tablet daily for a few weeks for long term relief from headaches. Just keep in mind that pregnant women, breastfeeding women and kids should only take supplements of fish oil after consulting a doctor.
Salicin found in almonds works as a natural pain killer. Besides, almonds are also rich in magnesium, which is the mineral that migraine patients are often deficient. Simply, grab a handful of roasted or raw almonds whenever you get a migraine for quick relief. This remedy works wonders if you consume almonds right after a headache attacks.
Rock salt is extremely high in minerals and electrolytes, making it a great option for reducing the severity of the migraine. Also, it improves the immune system and simultaneously increases the energy levels. To use salt for treating migraines, you just need to follow the instructions below:
- Firstly, squeeze the juice from a lemon and pour it into a glass of water.
- Add 1 tsp. of rock salt to the glass and mix well.
- Drink this water.
Having a cup of fat-free yogurt is a great way to deal with migraines. This superfood is high in probiotics and calcium, which are needed for the functioning of the brain. Just ensure that you do not add extra sugar to your yogurt.
23. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are high in magnesium and vitamin E, which are required for regulating the estrogen levels in your body. Besides, these seeds also give better blood circulation to the brain, reducing the risks of any muscle tension. Simply, sprinkle some sesame seeds on your salads and soups.
Actually, consuming sesame seeds is known as one of the best home remedies for migraines headaches that you should not look down, but consider including these seeds in your daily diet plan for good.
Working as a natural treatment for horrible headaches, bananas are packed with many essential nutrients like magnesium and potassium. You may know that magnesium can relieve the tensed muscles while potassium can balance out electrolyte in the body, hence relieving your migraines.
Diets high in healthy fats have been found to cure chronic headaches. And we all know that salmon is one of the greatest sources of omega-3s that can relieve the inflammation and pain associated with migraines. Besides, salmon also contains anti-inflammatory and nerve-protecting properties, which are required for reducing the frequency of migraines.
26. Beef Liver
This is worth mentioning in this list of great home remedies for migraines and vomiting that has been recommended by many migraines sufferers. Consuming beef liver is another great home remedy for headaches because it is rich in vitamin B3, and as you know that deficiency of vitamin B3 is one of the common causes of migraines. Moreover, beef liver also has high contents of vitamins A, B6, B12, K, E and folate. Therefore, including beef liver in your diet can be effective in reducing chronic migraines.
27. Home Remedies For Migraines – Spinach
When it comes to learning best home remedies for migraines and nausea, vomiting, you should not skip this superfood. According to a study about foods for migraines sufferers , this leafy green has been found to reduce the blood pressure levels in your body thanks to its high content of vitamin B2. You can make spinach salads to get a quick relief from migraines.
This may sound strange when it comes to learning home remedies for migraines headaches, but it actually does work. Consuming pineapple can help you treat the symptoms of migraine quickly. This is because it is rich in bromelain that has anti-inflammatory effects. You can use pineapple in the form of a salad, juice or a smoothie. Just remember to check for allergies before you want to consume pineapples.
The pain relieving effects of clove makes it a great option for the treatment of migraines. You can try applying any of the following methods to treat a migraine quickly and effectively.
- Crush 2-3 cloves and place them in a clean handkerchief.
- Smell the scent of these crushed cloves when a migraine attacks you.
- Mix 2 drops of clove oil in 1 tbsp. of coconut oil or jojoba oil.
- Massage your forehead and temple gently with this oil mixture.
- Mix 1 tsp. of sea salt, 2 tsp. of coconut oil and 2 drops of clove oil
- Then, apply this oil mixture onto your forehead.
30. Warm Milk
Consuming warm milk with cloves or cinnamon is a great way to beat headache. Besides, drinking milk also helps improve sleep, which is required for curing a throbbing headache. However, if you are lactose intolerant, you should avoid this remedy.
31. Henna Leaves
The cooling properties of henna leaves make it a great option for treating migraines. Besides, henna leaves also contain antimicrobial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic properties, all of which help battle with headaches. Simply, crush some henna leaves and mix it with 1 tbsp. of vinegar to make a paste. Then, apply this blend on your forehead.
In regard to learning natural home remedies for migraines, you should consider making use of mullein. This herb has been used for years to treat spasms and migraines thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. You can use the leaves and flowers of this herb in the form of capsules or tinctures to get a relief from migraines.
Buckwheat is rich in antioxidants, making it work well against many types of headaches, including migraines. These powerful antioxidants can help protect your body from the damage caused due to a flavonoid called rutin, which is a cause of migraines. Besides, buckwheat also contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, so it is recommended to use buckwheat regularly to treat the symptoms of migraines.
There are some other great home remedies for migraines headaches in this article. So, you should spend time reading the rest of this article and then try to apply any of these remedies for good.
34. Basil Oil
Basil oil helps relieve your tensed muscles when used topically. You just need to mix 1-2 drops of basil oil in 1 tsp. of coconut oil or jojoba oil. Then, apply this oil mixture on your temples and forehead using a cotton ball or your fingers. Let it sit on for several hours to get the best results. Repeat this remedy once again after a few hours if your pain resurfaces.
35. Home Remedies For Migraines – Betel Leaves
Betel leaves contain analgesic, pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, if you want to treat the symptoms of migraines using natural ingredients, you should consider making use of betel leaves. Simply, grind 4-5 betel leaves with some water. Then, add some camphor oil to the mixture. Next, apply this extract to your forehead and temples and let it sit on for about 10-15 minutes.
This is the last but very important one among best home remedies for migraines that we want to reveal in this article today. Massaging your head can help relieve migraine headaches and stimulate certain serotonin receptors, hence reducing the frequency of migraines. You just need to gently massage your head in a circular motion. Pay attention to some pressure points like the middle of the forehead and the corners of the eyes. Repeat this remedy as needed.
Apart from the remedies as mentioned above, you can try muscle relaxation exercises, meditation  and yoga. Besides, you should try to have enough sleep, have a diet rich in protein and low in carbohydrates, drink plenty of fluids and avoid foods that contribute to your migraine attacks.
Actually, all of the home remedies as mentioned above are very effective in reducing migraines and preventing migraine attacks without causing any unwanted side effects, so you can apply any of these home remedies at the comfort of your own home. If you know other home remedies for migraines headaches, feel free to share them with us by leaving your comments below.
Leave a Reply