Headaches are a common trouble that many people of all ages face. A headache can cause unbearable pain together with nausea and vomiting. The problem occurs due to a lot of reasons, but the most general cause of a headache is stress or tension. Plus, you can experience a headache due to hormonal changes, migraine, eating some certain foods, sinus problems, restlessness, dehydration and lack of sleep. There are a lot of OTC medicines to eliminate a headache fast. However, you can get immediate pain relief with the help of some easy tips and home remedies. Now, let’s take a look at these ways on how to get rid of headaches in the line of How To on Healthy Guide site.
15 Ways For How To Get Rid Of Headaches Naturally And Fast
1. Water For Headache Elimination
As talked earlier, dehydration is one of the main reasons for headaches, so you can easily get cure from a headache by rehydrating the body. At the initial sign of a headache, simply consume a glass of water and later continue to take small sips all the day. Apart from drinking water, you can also consume sports drinks because sports drinks contain the electrolytes present that can treat headaches caused due to dehydration and tension. You need to avoid drinks like alcohol because they can dehydrate the body.
2. Change The Diet
Changing the diet is also one of the best ways on how to get rid of headaches naturally. What you eat can affect the frequency and severity of headaches, consisting of dairy products meats with nitrates like bacon or hot dogs; fruits such as avocado, banana, citrus; foods packed with monosodium glutamate; as well as foods that are fermented or pickled. So, if you experience a headache, you should avoid those foods. Instead, you should add foods to your daily diet containing omega-3 fatty acids such as fish because they have anti-inflammatory and nerve protecting properties.
Read More: Top 15 Foods To Reduce Bloating
3. How To Get Rid Of Headaches With Hot Water
This is also a good answer to the question about how to get rid of headaches. You can relieve headaches caused due to stress by applying heat on your neck’s back. Heat helps to relax tense muscles, thereby eliminating the throbbing pain. You simply take a hot water bag and apply it to your neck’s back. Alternatively, you can take bearable hot water to fill a tub and put the hands in it for around fifteen minutes. This way will promote blood circulation, thereby giving you instant relief from a headache. You can also fill a bucket with hot water and dip your legs in it for 10 minutes before bedtime. This way helps to treat chronic headaches.
Learn More: Top 10 Natural Homemade Face Packs For Pimples
4. Ice Pack For Headaches
Placing an ice pack on the forehead will reduce the pain, improve circulation and help to shrink the blood vessels. This way works wonders for headaches caused by sinus problems or stress.
- You need to take some crushed ice or ice cubes and wrap them in a thin towel. Then, hold it against the forehead for several minutes. Remember to never directly apply ice on your skin because it can damage it.
- You can also take a cold cloth and apply it on your temples and head for 10 minutes. Repeat this process for some time for best results.
Read More: Top 15 Foods To Reduce Bloating
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Millions of people in the world use apple cider vinegar to relieve or treat almost anything, from acne to hay fever to scurvy. How to get rid of headaches fast and naturally with apple cider vinegar? Follow the method below:
- You must prepare 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 cup of cool water and 3 cups of water. Next, boil the water and pour the boiling water into 1 large bowl. Then, add the apple cider vinegar to the bowl.
- Let the face be near the bowl to inhale the steam. Breathe the steam out and in for ten minutes, or till the water begins to cool down. Finally, pat your face dry.
- You can also drink apple cider vinegar straight up. Before consuming it, you need to dilute it by adding 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of warm water and mixing them well. Add honey to taste if wanted. Drink the solution to alleviate the pain.
6. How To Get Rid Of Headaches With Lemon
The natural way on how to get rid of headaches must include lemon. Lemon is relaxing and refreshing, so it is a very powerful and effective ingredient to treat headaches. Plus, the acid-alkaline balance in our body is maintained by using it. How to get rid of headaches with lemon? Follow the method below:
- Take ½ a lemon and squeeze out to collect its juice. Then, mix the juice with warm water and consume it. This mixture will lower the intensity of headaches. This particular treatment is useful for headaches caused due to gas in the stomach.
- You can also take lemon crusts and pound into a paste. Then, apply it on your forehead to relieve pain immediately.
7. Massage Your Scalp
A gentle massage on the scalp helps to improve the blood circulation and reduce the stress causing a headache. You can follow some steps below:
- Hot oil massage will help to solve the purpose and it will relax the body.
- Whenever you suffer from a headache, you simply massage the head with the help of your fingers.
- You can also massage your shampoo while taking a shower. This will help to clean the scalp and relax the mind as well.
- You can also massage your neck gently because it helps you to alleviate a headache fast.
- Another option is to close your eyes and massage the area around your eyes with your thumbs in the circular motion.
8. Using Peppermint
If you are looking for the best ways on how to get rid of headaches naturally, you don’t skip peppermint. Peppermint can help to treat headaches because it possesses soothing and calming properties. Migraines together with other tension headaches are often caused due to poor blood flow, and the peppermint oil can help to regulate blood flow in the body thanks to its vasoconstricting and vasodilating properties. It effectively relieves headaches by opening up the sinuses.
- Simply, take some peppermint oil to lightly massage your jaw, temples, and your neck’s back for instant pain relief.
- You can add dried peppermint (1 teaspoon) to boiling water (a cup) to make an herbal tea. Cover and leave it to steep for ten minutes. Then, strain and add a little honey to improve its taste. Sip the tea gradually.
9. How To Get Rid Of Headaches With Ginger
Ginger can help to ease headache pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Besides, it helps to reduce swelling in our brain, relax the blood vessels in our head, and activate natural opiates in our brain that help to ease the pain. How to get rid of headaches with ginger? The method is:
- Simply consume ginger tea up to thrice a day to decrease inflammation and alleviate headache pain as well.
10. Eucalyptus Oil For Headaches
This is also an ideal answer to the question about how to get rid of headaches naturally and fast. Eucalyptus oil comes with anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. It gives a soothing effect and aids in relaxing tense muscles causing a headache.
- Simply massage your temples and forehead with eucalyptus oil for a gap of 15 and 20 minutes. You can also use almond or coconut oils for headache alleviation.
11. Using Cinnamon
Cinnamon is also another herb that can eliminate headaches effectively. This simple remedy is beneficial for headaches caused due to exposure to cold air. So, how to get rid of headaches with the help of cinnamon? Follow the instructions below:
- Grind some sticks of cinnamon into a powder and add some water to form a thick paste.
- Then, apply this paste on your temples and forehead and lie down for half an hour. Wash if off using lukewarm water.
12. How To Get Rid Of Headaches With Basil Leaves
Another simple way on how to get rid of headaches is using basil leaves. Basil helps to relax the muscles and is also a natural pain reliever. Besides, it has anti-inflammatory agents that come handy for alleviating headaches.
- Simply take some basil leaves and chew them. You can also add 2-3 basil leaves in essential oil. Then, massage it on your head.
- Alternatively, add 3-4 fresh leaves of basil in the boiling water. Add some honey for sweet flavor if desired. Strain the water and then sip the tea.
13. Using Betel Leaves
Betel leaves come with analgesic and cooling properties, which can alleviate a headache effectively within a few minutes. How to get rid of headaches with betel leaves? Follow the directions below:
- Simply, you can chew 1 or 2 leaves of betel to treat a headache.
- Or you can also make a fine paste by putting 2 to 3 fresh leaves of betel in a grinder. After that, apply the paste on your temples and forehead and allow it on for half an hour. You will get immediate relief from the pain soon.
14. Apples For Headaches
Generally speaking, apples are very beneficial for all headache types. Apples decrease headache pain because they are full of flavonoids, which lower blood pressure. According to some studies, even the green apples’ smell can reduce the migraine symptoms, and can help to shorten a migraine cycle as well.
- Cut one to two apples into slices and sprinkle a little salt. After that, have it on an empty stomach every morning for a week. This way is a very beneficial treatment for even persistent headaches.
16. Magnesium For Headaches
Studies have indicated that consuming magnesium decreases the frequency of the attacks of chronic migraines and headaches. Magnesium is also one of the most necessary nutrients in the body. The lack of magnesium results in fatigue, headaches, as well as the weakness of the tissues of the body. So, to eliminate headaches, you need to add some foods rich in magnesium into your diet. Those foods are leafy greens, beans, nuts, avocados, figs, and bananas. Dark chocolate is also a good source of magnesium, so you can eat this food to reduce a headache.
So, just try a few of these ways and natural remedies to alleviate a headache quickly and effectively if you are getting a headache. However, consult a doctor immediately, if you have regular headaches. If you know any way on how to get rid of headaches naturally, please share with us by commenting in the box below.