Bacterial vaginosis is known as a common form of vaginal infection. This mild infection happens when the balance between the bad and good bacteria gets disturbed. Some common symptoms of bacterial vaginosis include itching, excessive vaginal discharge, in some cases, with a fishy odor and pain during urination. This infection is not serious and is often cured on its own. However, you can apply some simple home remedies to get rid of this annoying problem more quickly.
- 22 Home Remedies for Prostatitis Treatment And Control/ 9 Ways On How To Have An Orgasm For Men And Women
List Of 23 Natural Ways On How To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis
In this article, we will show you some of the signs and symptoms of bacterial vaginosis. And then, we will reveal some home remedies that can help you get rid of this infection naturally at home. So, if you are concerning about sexual health and looking for simple ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis naturally, you should keep both of your eyes on this article right now.
I. Signs And Symptoms Of Bacterial Vaginosis
Bacterial vaginosis is known as an abnormal vaginal condition. It is characterized by the discharge from the vagina. Most of the women suffering from bacterial vaginosis have no symptom. However, bacterial vaginosis can cause some common symptoms:
- Excessive vaginal discharge, especially after sexual activity
- A “fishy” odor in the vaginal area
This infection is more common in those who are sexually active. Women suffering from bacterial vaginosis have higher risks of sexually transmitted diseases.
Read on Treatments For Gonorrhea In Men And Women – 17 Remedies to discover some of the best natural treatments for gonorrhea in both men and women.
II. How To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis – Home Remedies
There are some home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that you can consider applying at home. All of these remedies have been reported to be effective in reducing the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis without causing any side effect. They include:
This is the first way on how to treat bacterial vaginosis naturally that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to apply for good. According to a study about foods for improving vaginal health , yogurt has beneficial bacteria called lactobacillus, which help battle with bad bacteria and support healthy vaginal pH balance. To use yogurt for treating bacterial vaginosis, you just need to apply one of the following methods:
- Soak a cotton pad in a yogurt container and then apply it on your affected area.
- Allow it to sit on for 30 minutes before washing it off with fresh warm water.
- Reapply this remedy 3 times a day until all of the symptoms go away.
- Dip a tampon in some yogurt and then put it in your affected area.
- Leave it on for 1-2 hours.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day until the symptoms completely go way.
- Consume 2 cups of plain yogurt on a daily basis to help restore the normal pH balance in the vaginal area and also minimize the bad bacteria growth.
2. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, so it can be used to kill off the germs causing bacterial vaginosis. Also, oregano oil can help prevent is infection from reoccurring effectively. Just note that if you want to treat bacterial vaginosis with oregano oil, you have to use the oil without alcohol.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of olive oil with 3 drops of oregano oil.
- Then, apply this mixture on your affected area and allow it to sit on for about 2 hours.
- Reapply this remedy once daily until your condition is improved.
- Add 3 drops of oregano oil to a cup of warm water and mix it well.
- Drink this solution twice daily.
- Continue this remedy for 1-2 months until you notice the improvement.
List of 19 Ways On How To Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Acne Skin will show you some of the simplest uses of extra virgin olive oil for acne-prone skin, so check it out!
3. Coconut Oil
When it comes to ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis and improve women’s health, you can consider using coconut oil. Coconut oil contains antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties, so it can help kill off the germs causing bacterial vaginosis and simultaneously prevent it from recurring in the future. Now, if you want to make use of coconut oil for treating the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, you can try any of the following methods.
- Apply some organic coconut oil in your vaginal area
- Repeat this remedy 3 times a day until your condition is improved.
- Dip a tampon in coconut oil and then put it in your affected area.
- Allow it to sit on for a few hours, remove the tampon and then rinse off the area with warm water.
- Reapply this remedy once a day for several days.
- Try to use organic coconut oil in your cooking in order to improve your immune system and boost up the process of healing.
To know some of the best home remedies for itchy skin on facial and body skin, read on 15 Home Remedies For Itchy Skin Relief On Face And Body
4. Tea Tree Oil
When you are looking for simple ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis at home, you can give tea tree oil a try. Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which help kill off the germs causing bacterial vaginosis. Besides, tea tree oil will also help deal with the awful smell caused by bacterial vaginosis.
- Add some tea tree oil to a bowl of lukewarm water and mix it well.
- Then, use the solution to wash off your affected area.
- Reapply this remedy once per day for 3- 4 weeks.
- Mix 3 cups of white vinegar and 3 drops of tea tree oil in your warm bathwater.
- Soak yourself in it for about 30 minutes.
- Reapply this remedy every other day for 1-2 months until your condition is improved.
If you want to know some of the best tips that can help you use natural oils to improve your skin naturally, read on Top 34 Tips On How To Improve Skin Naturally With Oils
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another great way on how to treat bacterial vaginosis naturally is to use apple cider vinegar. According to a research about uses of apple cider vinegar for yeast infection , apple cider vinegar contains acidic nature, which helps increase the acidity in the vaginal area. When the acidity increases, bad bacteria will find difficult to survive, hence creating a better environment for good bacteria.
- Add 1- 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your warm bathwater.
- Soak it in the bath water for 20 minutes.
- Then, pat dry the vagina with a clean cloth.
- Reapply this once daily until the symptoms completely go away.
6. Indian Lilac
Another great way on how to treat bacterial vaginosis at home is to use Indian lilac. Actually, Indian lilac leaves contain antifungal and antibacterial properties, which can help reduce inflammation and itching as well as help kill off the germs causing bacterial vaginosis.
- Heat some Indian lilac leaves in a pan without needing to add water.
- Then, let the leaves cool down and then grind them until you get a fine powder.
- Mix 2 tsp. of the powder with some water to create a paste.
- After that, apply the paste in your affected area and allow it to sit on for 60 minutes.
- Finally, rinse it off with warm water.
- Reapply this remedy twice daily until your condition is improved.
Garlic is known as a natural antibiotic and it can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis. Also, garlic contains antifungal properties, which help fight with bad bacteria and it is also good for sexual health Therefore, if you are looking for natural ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis, you can consider giving it a try!
- Crush 3- 4 garlic cloves and then put the mashed garlic in your vagina.
- Allow it to sit on for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Reapply this remedy once daily for a few months.
- Wrap a garlic clove in gauze and then insert it into the vagina.
- Allow it to sit on about 30 minutes. You should not leave it on more than that because it can cause soreness.
- Reapply this treatment once per day for several days.
- Consume raw or cooked garlic on a daily basis. If you do not like the taste of garlic, you can take garlic capsules after you consult your doctor.
Other great ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis naturally that you should know must include milk. Milk has lactobacilli bacteria, which can make it a great natural treatment for bacterial vaginosis. Addition to this, milk also helps improve your immune system.
- Soak a tampon in some chilled milk and then put it in your vaginal area.
- Leave it on for 1-2 hours before removing it.
- Reapply this treatment once per day for a few days until the symptoms go away.
- Add 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric to a glass of lukewarm milk.
- Then, drink this mixture once per day to improve your condition.
There are other great ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis in this article. So, you should keep your eyes on the remaining of this article and then try to apply one or more of these home remedies for good.
Fenugreek can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis. This is because it can help restore the normal pH level in your vaginal area, improve the immune system and simultaneously boost up the process of healing. To use milk as a bacterial vaginosis treatment, you can apply any of the following methods:
- Soak 2 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and stay it overnight.
- The next morning, consume this water when you have an empty stomach.
- Repeat this remedy daily for 1-2 months until you notice the improvement.
- Mix 1 tsp. of powdered fenugreek in a cup of yogurt.
- Consume it twice per day for a couple of days until the symptoms completely go away.
- Steep 1 tsp. of fenugreek seeds in a glass of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Strain it, add some honey to the tea and then drink it2- 3 times daily.
10. Tea Bags
The tannins found in tea contain astringent and antibiotic properties, which help relieve the burning sensation and also reduce irritation and swelling. So, if you want to make use of tea bags to treat the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, you can follow the instructions below:
- Dip a tea bag in a cup of warm water for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Place it in the fridge for several minutes.
- Then, apply the tea bag on your vaginal area.
- Reapply this remedy 3- 4 times daily for several weeks to improve your condition.
11. Cold Compress
According to a study about home remedies for vaginitis , cold compresses help reduce itching, pain and inflammation caused due to bacterial vaginosis by numbing the vaginal area. This home remedy can give you an immediate relief. Now, take the following steps if you want to apply cold compress for treating bacterial vaginosis. This is actually one among the most useful tips on how to treat bacterial vaginosis at home naturally that people should never skip!
- Take a few ice cubes and then cover them with a clean cloth.
- Put this cloth in your vaginal area for a minute.
- Then, take a 60-second break before putting it back in the affected area.
- Repeat this cycle several times.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is just a natural disinfecting substance, so it can help get rid of the bad bacteria and other inflammatory substances causing bacterial vaginosis.
- Mix the equal amounts of water and hydrogen peroxide 3%
- Keep the solution in your vaginal area for about 3 minutes and then drain it out.
- Repeat this remedy every day for the best results
- Mix the equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide 3% and water
- Apply this mixture to your tampon
- Then, put it in your vagina and leave it on for not more than half an hour.
- Repeat this remedy daily until the symptoms go away.
- Notes: Avoid overusing hydrogen peroxide as it can lead to irritation and dryness of your vagina. Besides, the active ingredients found in hydrogen peroxide can also cause redness, stinging and irritation. Also, this ingredient is safe for both pregnant and breastfeeding women.
13. Boric Acid
Boric acid can help you get rid of harmful bacteria causing bacterial vaginosis. A boric capsule can be used to treat recurring bacterial vaginosis. Nonetheless, this home remedy is not recommended for pregnant women because it can be toxic if taken internally.
- Take a gelatin capsule packed with 600mg of boric acid powder.
- Insert it into your vaginal area before going to bed and remove it the next morning.
- Keep using this remedy a few times a week even when you notice the improvement in order to prevent the infection from reoccurring.
14. Calendula Tea
This is another great way on how to treat bacterial vaginosis at home that you should know and then consider applying for good. This remedy is really helpful if you want to get rid of the symptoms of this infection with the help of natural ingredients. You can use calendula leaves to reduce the symptoms of bacterial vaignosis thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Actually, calendula tea is good for relieving the irritation and inflammation caused by this infection.
- Boil up some calendula leaves with water to have a cup of calendula tea.
- Dip a clean cloth in the tea and take out the excess liquid
- Gently apply the cloth over your vagina to relieve irritation and redness associated with bacterial vaginosis.
- Repeat this remedy twice per day
Goldenseal is a natural herb that can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis. The dried root of this herb can help in fighting harmful bacteria thanks to its antibacterial properties. Simply, you just need to mix 1-2 tbsp. of the dried goldenseal root in some water and then use this water to clean your vaginal area twice a day.
However, before using goldenseal to treat bacterial vaginosis, you need to consult your doctor for the dosage. In some cases, goldenseal powder can irritate your vaginal skin. Also, pregnant or breastfeeding women, and those with heart or liver conditions should avoid using this plant.
16. Black Walnut
Black walnut contains antibacterial properties, making it a great home remedy for bacterial vaginosis. Simply, apply a tincture of black walnut or take black walnut supplements daily to reduce the discomfort associated with this infection. In fact, this is known as one of the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that you should not look down, yet try to apply as soon as possible.
Do you want to know other great ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis at home? Keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply one or more of these home remedies as soon as possible, especially if you want to get rid of this infection with the help of natural ingredients.
17. Aloe Vera
This is an effective home remedy for bacterial vaginosis that you should try out. Actually, aloe vera gel contains therapeutic and soothing properties, so it can help relieve itching and inflammation in your vagina. Now, in order to get rid of the bacterial vaginosis symptoms, you just need to follow the instructions below.
- Wash a fresh aloe vera leaf with some plain water
- Then, take the gel out of the aloe vera leaf
- Apply the gel over your affected vaginal area
- Repeat this remedy daily for 1-2 weeks until you notice the improvement.
Bacterial vaginosis could be caused by low immune system and Echinacea herb can help strengthen your immunity and fight off infections thanks to its immunity-boosting properties. Addition to this, this herb also helps reduce the pain and itching sensation more quickly. Also, it is effective in reducing the risks of bacterial vaginosis in the future.
- Orally take 2 ml of echinacea tincture
- Reapply it 3-4 times per day for 2- 3 days
- If you do not notice any improvement within 2 days, you need to increase the dosage.
III. How To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis – Diet And Good Habits
To boost up the healing process, apart from applying some of the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis, you also need to apply some of the diet and hygiene tips. They include:
1. Keep The Vagina Clean and Dry
Practicing good hygiene is very important when you want to treat bacterial vaginosis. Here are some simple tips to help you keep your vaginal area clean and dry throughout the day:
- Wash your genital area with soap on a daily basis
- Avoid using scented products on your vaginal area. Actually, the use of these scented products can change the pH level in the vaginal area, hence producing a foul-smelling odor.
- After washing or showering, gently dry it off
- Wash hands before touching your vagina, especially if you insert any object like tampons or menstrual cups into your vagina.
- After going to the bathroom, wipe from front to back. Never use any objects used in the anus to insert into the vagina.
- After having sexual intercourse, wash the vaginal area
- Always use condoms to ensure that you have safe sex
- Wear breathable cotton underwear
- Wash your underwear daily and avoid wearing wet underwear
- Wash your towels and other items used for your vagina regularly.
2. Try Using Probiotic
According to a study  probiotics can create a good environment for beneficial bacteria to thrive. These bacteria can help fight harmful bacteria causing bacterial vaginosis. Some natural probiotics can help keep the vagina healthy include fermented foods, yogurt and some cottage cheeses. Besides, a probiotic supplement may also be helpful. Women who experience pain caused by bacterial vaginosis can try using cool probiotic tampons.
3. Vitamin D
A study found that the deficiency of vitamin D is associated with bacterial vaginosis, especially in expectant women. Therefore, it is extremely important for pregnant women to prevent this infection by getting enough vitamin D from foods or supplements. You can consult your doctor to know whether or not you should take supplements of vitamin D.
4. Consume Foods That Contain Folic Acid
To prevent and treat bacterial vaginosis, you should consume more foods that contain folate. These foods can help reduce the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis. Some food options for you are dark leafy greens, avocado, broccoli, spinach and asparagus. In fact, this is one among great ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis naturally that you should know and then try to add more folate- rich foods to your daily diet plan for good.
5. Consume Fruit Juices
This is the last but very important way on how to treat bacterial vaginosis that we want to mention in this article and want all of my female readers to apply for good, especially those who are diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. You can drink the juices from cranberry, blueberry, oranges, grapefruits, and lemons to protect your body from infections, including bacterial vaginosis. All of these fruits have a high content of antioxidants .
Some other recommended tips for treating bacterial vaginosis:
- Avoid making love with multiple partners. Having sexual intercourse with a new partner means increasing the exposure to new bacteria
- Avoid douching. Women who douche regularly may have more health problems than those who do not. Although the link between douching and bacterial vaginosis is unsure, women should refrain from douching
- Take probiotic supplements regularly
- Avoid overuse of antibiotics
- Give up smoking and alcohol.
With these remedies as I mentioned above, you can treat the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis and simultaneously prevent it from recurring. Nonetheless, after two weeks of application, if you see no improvement, consult your doctor for a proper medication.
After reading this article, we hope that you and my other readers of Healthy Guide can find helpful information for your condition. After that, you should consider applying some of the home remedies as I mentioned above to reduce the symptoms of your infection as soon as possible. Also, if you know other women around you who are suffering from this infection, remember to share this list with them and then stimulate them to apply these home remedies as soon as possible. Finally, if you know other great ways on how to treat bacterial vaginosis at home, please to share them with other female readers by leaving your comments below.