Crohn’s disease is defined as a kind of inflammatory bowel disease. This disease most commonly occurs in the colon and the small intestine. It can affect any area of the gastrointestinal tract, from the mouth to the anus. Also, it can involve some of the GI tract’s parts and skip other parts. The symptoms of Crohn’s disease vary and they can change over time. Sometimes, the disease can cause life-threatening complications.
- Top 15 Best Foods To Reduce Bloating And Gas On Stomach Fast & Naturally/ 38 Home Remedies For Stomach Ache & Bloating In Infants, Babies, & Adults
List Of Simple Yet Effective Ways On How To Treat Crohn’s Disease:
In this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best remedies that can help you get rid of the symptoms of Crohn’s disease. Actually, these home remedies use natural ingredients that you can find available at home, so you should consider applying one or more of these remedies as soon as possible.
I. Symptoms Of Crohn’s Disease
The exact cause of this disease is not known. According to a study , some factors for the development of Crohn’s disease include heredity, excessive smoking, a weak immune system, previous infectious disease, taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines, a poor diet, stress as well as some environmental factors.
The Crohn’s disease symptoms often develop gradually. Some certain symptoms can also worsen over time. In rare cases, the symptoms develop suddenly and dramatically. Here are some early symptoms of Crohn’s disease:
- Persistent diarrhea
- Blood in the stool
- Abdominal cramps
- A low-grade fever
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- A frequent need for bowel movements
When the disease develops, the symptoms can become more severe. These symptoms include:
- A perianal fistula, causing pain as well as drainage near your anus
- Ulcers occurring anywhere
- Inflammation of the skin and joints
List of 48 Tips How To Get Rid Of Mouth Ulcers Pain On Throat, Gums, Tongue, & Lips will show you some of the best ways to treat mouth ulcers pain, so check it out!
II. How To Treat Crohn’s Disease
There is no cure for Crohn’s disease. However, there are some home remedies that can help reduce inflammation and other symptoms without surgery. Before starting any treatment, consulting a doctor is a must.
This is the first one among ways on how to treat Crohn’s disease at home that we want to mention in this article. According to a research , turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which is an anti-inflammatory property that has been found to reduce swelling and inflammation in the digestive tract. Addition to this, turmeric helps reduce any abscess on the small and large intestinal linings.
To treat Crohn’s disease, you can take 400-600mg of turmeric supplements three times daily. If you are using drugs for blood-thinning and diabetes, consult a doctor before taking these turmeric supplements. Also, you should include powered turmeric in your daily cooking.
2. Green Tea
This is another great way on how to treat Crohn’s disease with diet that you should give it a try! Green tea has many benefits for human health, including Crohn’s disease thanks to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties. Addition to this, green tea positively affects the immune system, and also reduces the colon cancer risk.
- Include 1 tsp. of green tea leaves in a cup of boiling water.
- Cover it and steep for about 5 minutes.
- Then, strain it and add some honey for taste.
- Drink the green tea at least 3 times per day.
Read on List Of 29 Best Easy Homemade Drinks Recipes To Lose Weight to discover some of the best homemade drinks recipes for weight loss.
3. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm contains demulcent and anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps heal and protect injured digestive tissues. Besides, this herb also improves bowel movements and boosting the healing process. According to a study , it helps prevent electrolyte imbalance and nutritional deficiencies in those with Crohn’s disease.
- Add 1 tsp. of powdered slippery elm to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Drink it about one hour after you take other drugs.
- Repeat this home remedy 2-3 times a day.
- Mix 1 tsp. each of sugar and slippery elm in about 2 cups of boiling water.
- Consume this solution twice per day.
This is worth mentioning in the list of simple ways on how to treat Crohn’s disease with natural remedies that you should try out! Ginger is also effective in reducing the severity of symptoms of Crohn’s disease thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant substances. It can reduce swelling and inflammation in the intestines and simultaneously help with digestion process. To use ginger for treating Crohn’s disease, you can try either of the following methods:
- Include ½ tsp. of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Then, cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain it and add some honey for taste before drinking.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily.
- Take ginger supplements after you consult your doctor.
To know some of the best home remedies for indigestion and bloating, read on 22 Home Remedies For Indigestion And Bloating In Infants, Toddlers, Adults
Thanks to the mucilage content, marshmallow can soothe the gastrointestinal tract, making it a great treatment for Crohn’s disease. Besides, marshmallow can also heal the inflamed lesions present in the gastrointestinal tract, reduce inflammation and simultaneously remove irritants.
- Add 5g of dried marshmallow root or 2-5g of dried marshmallow leaves to about a cup of boiling water.
- Then, cover and let it steep for about 5-10 minutes
- Strain it before drinking this tea.
- Repeat this home remedy three times per day.
- Note: If you have diabetes, you should avoid using marshmallow.
There are other great ways on how to treat Crohn’s disease with natural remedies that we want to mention in this interesting article. So, keep both of your eyes on the following natural remedies and then consider applying one or more of these remedies for good.
When it comes to learning how to treat Crohn’s disease at home, you should consider making use of carrots. Carrots contain healthy nutrients for those who have Crohn’s disease. Besides, carrots can help improve the immunity and they are also easy to digest. If you want to use carrots as a Crohn’s disease treatment, apply either of the following methods:
- Cook some carrots until they are tender and soft.
- Add a little bit of salt and eat 1/2 cup of carrot puree
- Repeat this home remedy a few times a day.
- Drink fresh carrot juice with a little raw honey and a few drops of lemon juice
- Repeat this home remedy a few times per day.
If you want to know some of the best healthy juice recipes for immunity and detox, read on List Of 25 Best Healthy Juice Recipes For Energy, Immune System, & Detox
7. Cod Liver Oil
According to a research , cod liver oil is also good for those who are experiencing the symptoms of Crohn’s disease. This oil is high in two omega-3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory substances to help reduce swelling and inflammation in the intestinal mucosa. Addition to this, cod liver oil also contains vitamins A and D, which are important for those with Crohn’s disease. Simply, you just need to take 1-2 tsp. of cod liver oil or cod liver oil capsules on a daily basis. Just remember that you should consult a doctor before taking this oil.
It is recommended to use boswellia when it comes to learning how to treat Crohn’s disease at home. This herb contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce inflammation and swelling in the lining of the digestive tract. However, in order to use boswellia for treating Crohn’s disease, more research is still required. You can try taking 1,200mg of boswellia about 3 times daily for up to two months. However, boswellia can interact with other medications and supplements, you should consult a doctor before taking it.
This is another great way on how to treat Crohn’s disease at home that you should try, especially if you have the mild symptoms. Probiotics are necessary for those who suffer from Crohn’s disease. Probiotics are similar to “good” bacteria that survive in the digestive tract, hence improving digestion, absorption as well as processing of foods. You should try taking probiotic supplements containing both the L. bifidus and L. acidophilus organisms in order to promote digestive health. To be safe, you should consult your doctor before taking probiotics.
10. Vitamin D
This is the last but very important one among ways on how to treat Crohn’s disease with diet and natural remedies that we want to mention in this article. Studies found that patients with Crohn’s disease have low vitamin D levels, hence increasing the risk of developing Crohn’s disease. Actually, vitamin D is very important for regulating the immune response and reducing inflammation as well as other symptoms of Crohn’s disease. To increase the levels of vitamin D, you can try some of the following ways:
- Expose the body to early morning sunlight. It is known as the best source of vitamin D, which increases the vitamin D production.
- Consume more vitamin D-rich foods such as egg yolks, beef liver, shrimp, sardines, salmon, and fortified milk.
- Take about 800 IU of vitamin D supplement on a daily basic. However, you should consult a doctor before taking vitamin D supplement.
Additional tips when it comes to learning how to treat Crohn’s disease :
- Keep track of the causes of your disease by having a food diary. So, you can find easier to remove these food items from your diet plan.
- Avoid consuming high-fiber foods, dairy products, spicy foods and deep fried foods.
- Eat 5-6 small meals instead of eating 2-3 large meals throughout the day.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeine- containing beverages
- Drink plenty of water
- Stop smoking to avoid worsening the symptoms
- Do exercises regularly to normalize bowel function
- Reduce stress
- Take B vitamins, iron and zinc supplements. However, consult a doctor before taking any supplement
- Try acupuncture to treat inflammatory bowel diseases.
We hope that you can find some home remedies for Crohn’s disease helpful after reading this article. Actually, these remedies as mentioned above have been reported to help reduce the symptoms of Crohn’s disease without causing unwanted side effect. So, you should apply any of these remedies right away. One more things, if you know other great ways on how to treat Crohn’s disease with diet, share them with other readers by leaving your comments below.
Leave a Reply