Shingles is a viral infection causing a painful rash. This viral infection occurs due to the varicella zoster virus, which also causes chickenpox. There is no treatment for shingles, but you can take antiviral medication to reduce the symptoms as well as the duration of the virus. Apart from antiviral medication, there are other effective treatments for shingles. Some natural remedies can help to reduce pain and discomfort.
- 20 Best Ways On How To Get Rid Of Sunburn Blisters On Skin/ 21 Home Remedies For Psoriasis On Face, Hands, Legs & Scalp
In this article, I want to show you some of the home remedies for shingles pain. So, if you are suffering from the symptoms of this infection and want to know how to get rid of these discomforts, read on this article right now.
I. What Is Shingles?
If you already had chickenpox when you were a child, the shingles virus could lie in your system and then it could reactivate later in life, causing a shingles rash. Actually, the rash could occur on any of your body’s parts, but generally it just affectsthe small sections. The first symptom of shingles is often pain. And, several days after the onset of pain, the rash and fluid-filled blisters could occur. According to a study about diagnosis and treatment of shingles , some patients with shingles also experience a burning, numbness, fever, headaches, fatigue and sensitivity to light.
Shingles duration is often 3- 5 weeks. Most people will only have shingles one time, but many people can experience shingles on multiple occasions.
People who are at higher risk for getting shingles include:
- People with a lower immune system
- People who are older than 50 years old
- People with illnesses
- People who are under excessive stress
- People who have major trauma
Some common causes of shingles include:
- Weak immune system
- Mental stress
- Improper diet
- Certain medications
- Less sleep
List of 14 Ways On How To Take Care Of Sensitive Skin For Men And Women will show you some of the best ways that can help you take care of sensitive skin naturally, so check it out!
II. How To Get Rid Of Shingles Naturally At Home
There are somenatural remedies for shingles that can help you reduce pain and soothe your affected skin areas. Also, these natural treatments will stimulate the healing process.
1. Healing Baths
Keep in mind that daily cleansing of the blisters can help to prevent the infection from spreading. You should try taking a cool shower or bath to soothe your affected skin. The coolness from the water can relievethe pain caused by shingles blisters and simultaneously calm down itchiness. Also, you can take a healing bath to treat the pain. Simply, pour 1- 2 cups of cornstarch or colloidal oatmeal into your warm bathwater. Then soak yourself in this solution for about 15- 20 minutes. Remember that you should not use hot water because it can worsen your shingles. Finally, completely dry your body and then wash off your towel to avoid spreading this infection.
Read on 15 Home Remedies For Itchy Skin Relief On Face And Body to discover some of the natural ways that can help you relieve itchy skin on facial and body skin.
2. Cold Water
This may be one of the best tips on how to get rid of shingles pain that you should include in your skincare routine, especially if you are suffering from shingles blisters. Cold water could help reduce the pain, irritation and itching caused by blisters.
- Soak a towel in some cold water, and take out the excess water
- Place the towel over your affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Remove it and repeat the process until your pain reduces.
- Also, take a cool bath for a couple of minutes before you pat it dry completely.
- Note: Avoid using ice packs or too cold water. Also, remember to wash your used towels to prevent the virus from spreading.
3. Coconut Oil
This is another great way on how to get rid of shingles at home naturally that I want to mention in this article and want you to consider using pure coconut oil that has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties if you want to treat your shingles pain.
- Warm up a small amount of coconut oil.
- Apply the warm coconut oil over your blisters and cover them with gauze.
- Change it every few hours and reapply this remedy until you get good results.
- Also, add 2-3 tbsp. of coconut oil to your daily cooking to boost your healing process.
If you want to know some of the best ways to use natural oils in order to improve your skin, read on Top 34 Tips On How To Improve Skin Naturally With Oils
4. Supplements For Treating Shingles
When it comes to ways on how to get rid of shingles pain, you should consider taking supplements for shingles treatments. To reduce the symptoms of shingles and boost the healing process, you should consider taking the following supplements:
- Vitamin C supplement- 1,000mg 3-4x daily: It helps to improve immune system and increase white blood cells.
- Vitamin B12 supplement- 1000-5000 mcg daily: It helps to boost the recovery and reduce shingles pain.
- Echinacea supplement- 500 mg 3x daily: It helps to fight off viruses and infections.
- Oregano oil supplement- 500mg 2x daily: It offers a powerful antiviral effect.
- Zinc supplement- 50 mg daily: It helps to improve immune function.
5. Reduce Stress
Reducing stress is actually a great treatment for shingles. Some lifestyle changes can help you prevent and treat the symptoms of shingles because stress reduction is a great way to improve immune system and overall health.
To know how to reduce stress that you can apply with ease at the comfort of your own home, read on Top 48 Best Home Remedies For Stress Relief And Removal
6. Olive Oil
You skin will become rough when these shingles blisters outbreak. And, vitamin E is one of the most important vitamins that help keep your skin healthy. You can consider rubbing some olive oil on your affected skin areas to reduce these blisters’ size and boost the healing process.
- Soak a cotton swab in some olive oil and then cover your shingles blisters with this.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Repeat this home remedy for a few days until your skin condition gets better.
Read More: List Of Natural Oils For Skin Care – Top 30 Great Oils To Apply
7. Baking Soda Or Corn Starch Paste
You can consider creating a paste from baking soda or cornstarch and water in order to ease itching due to a shingles rash effectively and naturally. You just need to pour 2 parts of baking soda or cornstarch into a cup of water. Then, add some water to the paste until you get your desired consistency. Finally, apply this paste to your rash before rinsing it off after about 15 minutes. Repeat this treatment a couple of times a day.
Actually, these pastes can be used to treat the shingles pain at home without causing any unwanted side effect. So, you consider using any of these pastes if you want to treat the symptoms of shingles at home.
8. Foods To Consume For Shingles Treatment
There are some healthy foods that you should include in your daily diet plan to boost the immune system, hence helping to treat shingles pain. They include:
- B-vitamins- rich foods: It is very important to include B-vitamins-rich foods in your daily diet. These foods include grass-fed beef, eggs, cultured dairy, wild-caught fish and organic chicken.
- Raw garlic and onions: Both of them contain allicin, which can help to improve immune function.
- Water: Hydration is the key to removing the virus from the system. So, try to drink at least 8 cups of water throughout the day.
- Green leafy vegetables: They are high in calcium and beta-carotene, which can help to improve immune function.
- Vitamin C- rich foods: Adding yellow and orange fruits and vegetables to your daily diet can help increase your intake of vitamin C. This will help to improve your immune system and boost the healing process.
- Anti-inflammatory foods: Consuming more of the garlic, turmeric, ginger, basil and spices can help you stimulate the recovery.
- Lysine-rich foods: You should consume salmon, tuna, trout and mackerel if you want to reduce the symptoms of shingles.
Learn More: 10 Foods To Increase Metabolism For Men And Women
9. Foods To Avoid For Shingles Treatment
There are some foods that you should avoid consuming when you are treating shingles. Avoiding these foods can help to boost the healing process.
- Sugar: It can decrease white blood cells that help to treat infection.
- Caffeine: It can make you dehydrated.
- Carbonated beverages: They can promote a more acidic system, thereby restricting the healing process.
- Fried foods: They also promote an acidic environment.
- Foods with arginine: Foods such as nuts and seeds, chocolate, soy foods, wheat germ, coconut, whole-wheat, gelatin and white flour should be avoided.
- Foods with low vitamins and minerals
- Foods with saturated fat
According to a study , turmeric is known as world’s most healthiest foods thanks to its powerful properties. Actually, turmeric canhelp heal wounds, reduce inflammation, eliminate depression, and boost immune system; therefore, it can reduce the symptoms of shingles.
- Add 1 tsp. of roasted turmeric roots powder to 250 ml of lukewarm milk.
- Mix it well and then drink it before you go to sleep.
- Add 2 tbsp. of turmeric powder to a cup of water.
- Mix it well and then bring it to a boil for about 15 minutes.
- When almost all of the water is evaporated, leaving only a thick paste, remove it from the heat.
- Let it cool down naturally and add about 10 drops of rosemary water to the paste.
- After that, spread this paste over a cotton ball and then place it on your affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 1-2 hours before washing it off with cold water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day until your skin condition is improved.
Another way on how to get rid of shingles at home naturally that I want to mention in this article is to use oatmeal. Actually, oatmeal contains soothing and anti-irritating properties, so it can help to relieve the pain, itchiness and irritation accompanied with shingles.
- Add 2 cups of the oatmeal powder to your bathwater.
- Soak your affected skin in this water for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2- 3 times per day.
- Add 1 tbsp. of oatmeal powder to a proper amount of water.
- Then, rub this paste over your shingles blisters and allow it to dry naturally
- Finally, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment several times per day for at least 1-2 weeks.
12. Aloe Vera
According to a study about aloe vera for health and beauty , aloe vera has cooling and soothing effects, so it can be used to treat shingles naturally. Actually, using aloe vera can help to relieve your affected skin areas, decrease itching and pain associated with shingles, as well as speed up the healing process.
- Apply the aloe vera gel to your affected skin areas
- Gently massage it in a circular motion and leave it on for 30 minutes
- Then, rinse it off with cold water before taking a cold bath.
- Follow this method 2-3 times per day until you get your desired results.
There are other great ways on how to get rid of shingles at home naturally without using medications and drugs that you can make use right at the comfort of your own place introduced in the entire article today. So, you should keep reading this article and then try to apply one or more of these tips for good.
When you are looking for great ways on how to get rid of shingles pain, you should try using licorice at home. Licorice has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, so it can help to treat the symptoms of shingles.
- Mix 1 tsp. of licorice powder with a proper amount of water until you get a good paste.
- Apply this paste over your shingles blisters and allow it to dry out naturally.
- Then, wash it off with clean water.
- Repeat this treatment 2- 3 times per day until you get an improvement.
- Alternatively, make the licorice tea, and then apply the cool tea over your blisters with a cotton ball. Repeat this remedy 3-4 times per day.
14. Lemon Balm
Another way on how to get rid of shingles at home naturally without requiring the use of any medical intervention like drug, pill…is to use lemon balm. Actually, this herb has natural antiviral properties, so it can help you relieve the discomfort and pain along with shingles blisters.
- Steep 2-4 tsp. of the lemon balm in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes.
- When the lemon balm tea cools down, soak a cotton ball in this tea.
- Then, rub this cotton ball to your affected skin areas and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy at least 4 times daily until you get a complete relief.
15. Sea Salt
Sea salt contains antiseptic properties, so it can be used to treat your shingles. It can help to dry out your blisters, thereby boosting the healing process.
- Add 1 tbsp. of sea salt to ½ cup of the tepid water and then mix it well
- Then, soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply it over your blisters.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times per day for at least one week.
- Alternatively, add ½ cup of sea salt to your bathwater.
- Then, soak yourself in this water for half an hour on a daily basis to get your desired results.
Actually, this is another great way on how to get rid of shingles at home naturally that you should not look down, yet try to apply as soon as for good.
This is known as one of the best ways on how to get rid of shingles pain thanks to its antiviral properties. So, if you want to use garlic to reduce the symptoms of shingles, you can consider applying any of the following methods:
- Make a paste from 5 cloves of garlic and then apply the paste directly over your blisters.
- Leave it on for about 5 minutes before washing it off with clean water.
- Repeat this remedy several times per day for at least one week.
- Add 3- 4 raw garlic cloves to your daily cooking to reap its maximum benefits.
- Or, take two 1000mg garlic capsules twice a day for 1 week for your desired results.
17. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another great way on how to get rid of shingles pain is to use apple cider vinegar because it can help relieve itchiness and dry out the sores. Apple cider vinegar has natural antiviral and disinfectant properties that can help stimulate the healing process quickly. Now, you can apply any of the following steps if you want to use apple cider vinegar to reduce the symptoms of shingles.
- Mix equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Then, dip a cotton ball into the solution and place it over your shingles blisters.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes or wait until it dries out naturally.
- Repeat this remedy several times per day.
- Add 1 tsp. each of honey and apple cider vinegar to a cup of lukewarm water
- Then, slowly consume the solution 3 times per day for about 1-2 weeks.
This is another great way on how to get rid of shingles fast and naturally at home that you should not look down yet try to make use, especially if you want to relieve shingles pain at the comfort of your own home. Honey can be helpful for treating many skin infections, including shingles thanks to its healing properties. Honey can help to relieve irritation and pain and clear up the blisters naturally.
- Apply some honey on a bandage and then place it on your shingles blisters.
- Replace it with fresh honey every several hours.
- Apply this remedy until your skin condition gets better.
- Alternatively, consume 1 tbsp. of raw honey daily to improve the immune system
19. Rosemary And Manuka Honey
According to a research about amazing benefits of rosemary , using rosemary can help to stimulate the healing process. It can reduce inflammation, ease pain, increase the immune system, and prevent the body from getting viral infections, making this mixture one of the best ways on how to get rid of shingles pain.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of Manuka honey with 10 drops of rosemary water.
- Then, soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply this over your affected skin areas.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and repeat this remedy 3 times a day.
20. Aspirin And Petroleum Jelly
This formula can help kill off shingles virus and boost the healing process, making it a great way on how to get rid of shingles at home and try to make use of it as soon as possible right at the comfort of your own home.
- Crush two aspirin tablets and then mix it with 1 tbsp. of petroleum jelly.
- Then, apply this mixture over your shingles blisters.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
21. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another great way on how to get rid of shingles pain thanks to its anti-bacterial and antiviral properties. To use tea tree oil for shingles treatment, you just need to take the following steps:
- Mix 1 tsp. of castor oil with 2 tbsp. of tea tree oil and mix it well.
- Soak a cotton ball into this solution and then apply it over your shingles blisters.
- Leave it on for over half an hour before washing it off with cold water.
- Also, consider adding some rosemary water to this solution for the better results
- Apply this treatment 2-3 times per day until you get a relief from shingles.
Do you want to know other effective ways on how to get rid of shingles pain at home? Continue to read this article and then try to apply any of these home remedies as soon as possible, if you want to relieve pain and itchiness caused by shingles and also boost the healing process from the natural ingredients.
22. Ravensara Essential Oil
It is a rare essential oil that offers many health benefits. It can help reduce itching and inflammation caused by shingles, and also boost the immune system; therefore, it can help to treat the symptoms of shingles at home.
- Apply the Ravensara oil over your affected skin areas with the help of a cotton ball
- Leave it on over half an hour to boost the healing process and reduce shingles pain.
- Note: Pregnant women should not use this remedy to avoid its side effects on their unborn babies.
23. Mountain Laurel
Mountain laurel flower and leaf are used to treat many skin conditions, including shingles. This treatment can help boost the healing process. Now, you just need to take the following steps to relieve the pain caused by shingles.
- Throw 9 leaves or 3 flowers of mountain laurel in mortar and then mix 20 drops of castor oil in it. Mix it well until you get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your affected skin areas.
- Leave it on for over 2 hours before washing it off with rosemary water.
24. Bayberry Ointment
When it comes to great ways on how to get rid of shingles at home, you should consider using bayberry ointment for good. The bayberry can be used as a treatment for skin conditions thanks to its tonic, astringent and stimulant properties. It can stimulate the wound healing and also treat skin disorders.
- Soak a cotton ball into the extract of bayberry bark
- Then, apply it over your shingles blisters and leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with cold water before patting it dry.
- Mix 30 drops of bayberry bark extract in 1 tsp. of roasted turmeric powder.
- Apply this paste on your shingles blisters and allow it to dry out naturally.
- Then, wash it off with cold water.
25. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil can help to reduce pain caused by shingles blisters. With topical application, this essential oil can ease painful sensations within few minutes. Actually, this is known as one of the best ways on how to get rid of shingles pain that lots of shingles sufferers have been making use to relieve their pain at home.
26. Other Essential Oils
There are lots of essential oils that can be used to relieve the pain and inflammation caused by shingles. Apart from essential oils I mentioned above, some other essential oils for shingles treatment include:
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Black cumin seed oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
You can mix 2 drops of any essential oil with 1/4 tsp. of coconut oil. Then, apply it on your affected skin areas. However, remember to perform a patch test on your skin to ensure that you have no negative reaction.
27. Soothing Lotions And Creams
This is the last but very important way on how to get rid of shingles at home that I want to mention in this article and want you and my other readers to consider applying for good. Scratching a shingles blister can cause prolong blisters and scarring. If itching and pain does not improve, you should consider using soothing lotions and creams in order to increase your comfort level. Avoid perfumed lotions and creams because they can cause further irritation.
You just need to apply topical ointments that contain capsaicin  to 3- 4 times per day. They have anti-inflammatory properties to help relieve pain. The pain may increase after applying the lotion and cream, yet it will slowly disappear. Additionally, apply calamine lotion after showers and baths to relieve your irritated skin and naturally dry out blisters.
Apart from great ways on how to get rid of shingles pain as I mentioned above, you should follow a few precautionary measures below:
- Keep your skin dry and clean
- Avoid picking or scratching at the shingles blisters
- Avoid sharing any cloths, towels or flannels with others.
- Avoid physical contacts with others to prevent spreading.
- Wash your hands regularly, especially before and after meals.
- Wash your clothes and other personal items with disinfectant products.
- Have enough sleep
Although shingles is not life-threatening, shingles pain can last for weeks or months, causing many discomforts for patients. After reading this interesting article, we hope that you and my other readers of Healthy Guide can find out the best solutions for shingles pain. Actually, all of the home remedies for shingles as I mentioned above have been reported to relieve the symptoms of shingles without causing any unwanted side effect. Therefore, you can feel free to apply one or more of these remedies at home. One more thing, if you know other great ways on how to get rid of shingles pain at home, you can leave them in the comment box below.
Leave a Reply