Folliculitis is an inflammation occurring on the hair follicles. Besides, you can have folliculitis on other body’s parts that have hair. However, it is most common on the arms, beard area, legs, back, and buttocks. In most cases, folliculitis is easily curable, and often disappears on its own without following any treatment. However, it is better for you to apply some of the home remedies to reduce the symptoms and boost up the healing process.
- 20 Best Ways On How To Get Rid Of Sunburn Blisters On Skin/ 14 Tips On How To Treat Psoriasis In Men And Women
List Of Natural Treatments For Folliculitis On Face And Scalp:
Now, in this article, we want to show you some of the best natural treatments that can help you know how to get rid of folliculitis naturally at home. All of these tips are effective in reducing the symptoms of this infection without causing any side effect; therefore, you can apply one or more of these remedies for good.
- I. Causes And Symptoms Of Folliculitis
- II. Home Remedies For Folliculitis
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2. Tea Tree Oil
- 3. Rubbing Alcohol
- 4. Aloe Vera Gel
- III. How To Reduce The Symptoms Of Folliculitis
- 1. Use Antibiotics
- 2. Avoid Contacting With Any Irritating Substances
- 4. Avoid Shaving The Infected Area
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Folliculitis
Folliculitis can be caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses, and the inflammation from ingrown hairs. And some certain factors can contribute to the condition, including:
- Having a medical issue such as chronic leukemia, diabetes and HIV/AIDS
- Having dermatitis or acne
- Regularly wearing clothes that may trap sweat and heat
- Taking some certain medications
- Soaking in a hot tub that has not been properly treated
- Waxing, shaving, or wearing tight clothes
- The prolonged usage of hair care products
Read on How To Prevent Razor Burn On Skin And Face – 24 Best Tips to discover some of the best ways that can help you prevent razor burn on facial skin and body skin.
Folliculitis looks like red pimples and there is a hair in the center. These pimples may contain pus, and they may burn or itch. When they break open, they could drain blood, pus, or both. Many small pimples may be present on the stomach and in some cases on the arms and legs. Besides, you may have an upset stomach and a mild fever. Generally, this kind of folliculitis could disappear on its own in 7- 10 days. Some common symptoms of folliculitis include:
- Small white-headed pimples or red bumps around hair follicles
- Pus-filled blisters
- Painful and tender skin
- Itchy and burning skin
To know some of the best natural treatments for pimples that you can apply with ease at home, read on Top 53 Best Natural Home Remedies For Pimples Removal
II. Home Remedies For Folliculitis That Work 100%
Folliculitis is the inflammation and infection of hair follicles. It is considered as a skin problem that can occur on any body’s parts as long as they have hair follicles. The home remedies for folliculitis that we will mention below can help you treat this skin infection and boost up the healing process.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is the first way on how to treat folliculitis on scalp that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to apply for good. Actually, apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties, which can help resolve with the cause of the problem. Addition to this, this remedy is also effective in reducing itching and inflammation.
- Add 1- 2 tsp. of raw apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water
- Then, drink this solution once or twice a day
- Mix raw apple cider vinegar with warm water in a ratio 1:2
- Then, apply this solution on your affected skin areas with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off
- Finally, keep the area moisturized by applying some coconut oil
List of 15 Home Remedies For Itchy Skin Relief On Face And Body will show you some of the best natural treatments for itchy skin on facial and body skin, so check it out!
2. Tea Tree Oil
Using tea tree oil is effective in treating many skin infections, including folliculitis. Tea tree oil contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties, so it can help clear up the infection when used regularly. Also, using tea tree oil can help reduce the itchiness and redness.
- Mix 5 drops of tea tree oil with 2- 3 tbsp. of coconut or olive oil.
- Then, massage the oil mixture on your affected areas
- Leave it on for 1- 2 hours before rinsing it off.
- Repeat this home remedy once per day.
- Place 2 drops of tea tree oil onto a wet cotton swab
- Then, place it directly on your affected areas.
- Leave it on for 60 minutes before washing it off with plain water.
- Reapply this remedy twice per day.
Note: If you have never used tea tree oil before, you should do a patch test to know whether or not you are allergic to this essential oil.
3. Rubbing Alcohol
When it comes to ways on how to treat folliculitis on scalp, you should consider using rubbing alcohol. Actually, rubbing alcohol contains disinfectant properties, so it can help clear the infection and simultaneously boost up the healing process. Addition to this, the soothing and cooling properties found in rubbing alcohol can help reduce discomforts.
- Soak a cotton pad in rubbing alcohol 70%
- Then, gently place it on your affected skin areas.
- Allow it to sit on for about 10 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Reapply this remedy twice per day for 3- 4 days.
- Note: You should avoid using rubbing alcohol too much because it can cause dry skin.
If you want to know some of the most effective tips that can help you remove pimple scars from your facial skin, read on How To Remove Pimple Scars From Face Fast – 10 Tips
4. Aloe Vera Gel
According to a study about best remedies for folliculitis , aloe vera gel can be used as a natural treatment for folliculitis. It contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, so it can help deal with this problem and reduce the itching and burning sensations. Addition to this, aloe vera gel also helps keep your skin moisturized, maintain the skin’s pH balance and boost up the healing process.
- Take the gel out from an aloe vera leaf
- Apply the gel on your affected skin areas
- Allow it to sit on for about 60 minutes.
- Reapply this remedy twice per day for a week.
- Take the juice from ½ lemon and mix it with ½ cup of pure aloe vera gel.
- Then, apply this mixture on your affected area.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy once per day for about 7 days.
Read More: Top 10 Natural Homemade Face Packs For Pimples Removal
5. Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver is another natural treatment for folliculitis that you should try out! It can help you fight against fungi and bacteria, hence helping you deal with the problem from its root. Now, you just need to follow the instructions below if you want to get rid of folliculitis naturally:
- Apply 2- 3 drops of colloidal silver on your affected skin areas.
- Use a bandage to cover the area.
- Reapply this remedy twice per day.
- Add 1- 2 tsp. of colloidal silver to a cup of water
- Then, drink this solution twice per day, ideally when you have an empty stomach.
- Keep applying this remedy for a month to kill off all the harmful fungi and bacteria within the body.
6. Coconut Oil
When it comes to natural ways on how to treat folliculitis, virgin coconut oil is known as one of the best solutions available. It often comes in a solid form; therefore, you have to heat it up to get the liquid form. After letting it cool down a bit, you can apply it directly to your affected area and let it set. Reapply this remedy daily to get the best results. This is also one of the best tips on how to treat folliculitis naturally at home that we would like to introduce here and encourage readers of Healthy Guide to read and make use at home as soon as possible!
Learn More: List Of Natural Oils For Skin Care – Top 30 Great Oils To Apply
Turmeric is also a great home remedy for folliculitis. Actually, this herb is a powerful and natural antibiotic that can be used to fight against staph bacteria, which may cause this problem. Also, turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help relieve itching, swelling and pain. To use turmeric to reduce the symptoms of folliculitis, you can consider applying any of the following methods:
- Add 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric to a glass of lukewarm milk
- Drink this solution twice per day
- Mix ½ tsp. of turmeric with enough olive or coconut oil to create a paste.
- Then, apply this paste on your affected area.
- Leave it on for 1- 2 hours before rinsing it off and reapplying.
- Repeat this remedy until the infection is improved.
- Take turmeric supplements after consulting your doctor for the correct use and dosage.
8. Warm Compress
When you are looking for how to treat folliculitis naturally, you can consider applying a warm compress on your affected areas. This remedy can help reduce the pain and irritation. Besides, applying a warm compress can also increase blood circulation to your affected area, hence boosting up the healing process.
- Add 1 tsp. of salt to 2 cups of water and then bring it a boil
- Then, allow the water to cool down.
- Dip a towel in this solution and then take out the excess water
- Finally, place this towel on your affected area for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 3- 5 times per day.
9. Indian Lilac
This is another great way on how to treat folliculitis on face that you should consider making use. Indian lilac contains antibiotic and antibacterial properties, which help kill off the harmful bacteria causing folliculitis. Addition to this, using Indian lilac is also effective in reducing itching, inflammation and pain.
- Grind some neem leaves to create a paste.
- Then, apply this paste onto your affected area.
- Let it sit on for half an hour before washing it off with water.
- Repeat this remedy several times a day.
- Boil some neem leaves in water until the amount of water reduces to 1/3.
- Then, wash your affected area with this water several times daily.
- Mix some neem oil in 1 tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Then, apply this oil mixture on your affected area
- Let it sit on for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Reapply this remedy 2- 3 times a day.
10. African Black Soap
This natural soap has some healing ingredients such as palm oil, coconut oil, vitamin E and shea butter. All of these ingredients can also keep your affected area moisturized. Besides, using African black soap also gives you a relief from pain, itchiness and inflammation. Apart from treating folliculitis, it is also effective in curing psoriasis, acne, dry skin, eczema, and dermatitis. You just need to wash your affected area with an organic African black soap at least twice per day. If your scalp issue is folliculitis, you can consider using this natural soapas a shampoo. Reapply this remedy a few times a week.
Do you want to know other great ways on how to treat folliculitis on scalp? Keep reading the remaining of this article and then consider applying any of these home remedies for good.
11. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is another great way on how to treat folliculitis on face thanks to its antibacterial, fungicide and antiseptic properties. According to a research about amazing oregano oil benefits and uses , oregano oil contains antioxidant, pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great ingredient for boosting up the recovery.
- Mix 8- 10 drops of oregano oil with 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Then, apply this oil mixture on your affected area
- Let it sit on for a few hours before washing it off with warm water and patting it dry.
- Reapply this remedy 3- 4 times per day.
- Add 2- 3 drops of oregano oil to a glass of warm water.
- Then, drink this solution twice per day for 1 week.
- Note: Pregnant women should avoid ingesting oregano oil.
Garlic contains antibacterial properties, so it is a great solution for folliculitis. Additionally, garlic also contains anti-inflammatory properties that work well for this condition. You should include more garlic in your diet so that you can get all of its healing powers. Also, you should eat about 3- 4 garlic cloves every day to fix your problem.
In fact, this is known as one of the best ways on how to treat folliculitis on scalp that you should know and then consider making use for good.
Many anti-folliculitis products have oatmeal, so there is no doubt that this ingredient could work as a great treatment for folliculitis as well. Instead of using a cream with oatmeal extract, you can take an oatmeal bath in order to benefit from its powers. It will be not only relaxing to enjoy, but it will also treat your folliculitis naturally.
14. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is known as a great home remedy for getting rid of folliculitis. You can apply some pure witch hazel oil to your affected skin areas with the help of a cotton pad. Reapply this remedy regularly. Actually, using witch hazel is known as one of the best ways on how to treat folliculitis on face that you should try out!
15. Aluminum Acetate And Warm Water
Aluminum acetate contains astringent and antibacterial properties, so it can be used to treat various minor skin issues. Using aluminum acetate can help kill off the bacteria causing folliculitis, relieve the irritation and swelling in your affected skin areas and simultaneously boost up your healing process.
- Dissolve 1 packet of aluminum acetate in the adequate amount of water.
- Then, dip a clean cloth in this solution before wringing out the excess water.
- Apply this cloth directly to your affected skin area.
- Hold this cloth for several minutes.
- Run the cloth under water, and make it dry before reusing it.
16. Use Essential Oil Mixture
Another great way on how to treat folliculitis naturally is to include the essential oil mixture in your skin care routine. This mixture contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help you treat folliculitis more quickly. This remedy also helps to reduce the damage on your skin areas caused by red pimples or bumps.
- Add some essential oils such as thyme oil, lavender oil and bergamot oil to clean water.
- Then, mix them well before applying this oil mixture to your affected areas.
- Repeat this remedy 3- 4 times daily for 5- 6 days.
This remedy is also an effective way on how to treat folliculitis effectively. The acetic acid found in vinegar can help reduce the swelling and itching and simultaneously get rid of your clogged pores. To use vinegar as a folliculitis treatment, you just need to take the following steps:
- At first, mix warm water with white vinegar in a ratio 2:1.
- Then, soak a clean washcloth in this solution and wring out the excessive liquid.
- Keep the cloth on your affected area for about 5- 10 minutes.
- Reapply this remedy 3 times per day.
18. Salt Water
Using saltwater is also an effective way on how to treat folliculitis on face due to its antibacterial agents. According to a study about salt water baths , salt water can help protect the affected skin area from getting irritation, and also boost up the healing process. Here is the instruction for using salt water to treat the symptoms of folliculitis:
- Dissolve some salt in a cup of lukewarm water
- Then, soak a clean cotton cloth in the solution.
- Gently keep the cloth in your affected skin area.
- Reapply this remedy twice a day until you achieve your desired results.
Goldenseal contains laxative, anticatarrhal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, andoxytocic properties, which are good for treating the symptoms of folliculitis. You only need to mix some goldenseal powder with enough water to create a thick paste. Then, apply this paste on your affected area. Use a clean bandage to cover the area and leave it on overnight. The next morning, take off this paste before rinsing it off with clean water. Keep reading for other tips on how to treat folliculitis on hair and scalp to improve your own cases!
20. Castor Oil
Another great way on how to treat folliculitis on scalp that you should not miss is to use castor oil. Studies found that castor oil can be used to reduce pain, irritation and inflammation. So, you can apply castor oil onto your affected area on a daily basis to achieve your desired results, especially if you have folliculitis on scalp.
Studies found that using cucumber can help you get rid of folliculitis on face. Make a paste of grated cucumber and then apply it on your affected area. Of course, the pain and the pimples will be reduced, leaving a comfortable feeling on the scalp. Repeat this remedy regularly for better results. This is actually among the most useful tips and techniques on how to treat folliculitis on scalp and skin at home naturally without using any type of creams or lotions that we want to introduce in the entire article today and encourage readers to make use right away for good!
III. How To Reduce The Symptoms Of Folliculitis
Apart from applying some of the home remedies for folliculitis, you should consider applying the following tips to boost up the healing process and reduce the inflammation, irritation and pain caused by folliculitis.
1. Use Antibiotics
To prevent folliculitis on scalp, you can try using antibiotic medications to counter bacterial infections. Nonetheless, the staphylococcus bacteria found in folliculitis can be resistant to antibiotics and therefore, you may need stronger medications. These antibiotics may include Fusidic acid gel, Tetracycline, Steroid creams, Erythromycin solution, Isotretinoin, Antihistamines, etc. Different antibiotics may be prescribed depending on the severity of your disease.
2. Avoid Contacting With Any Irritating Substances
Other simple ways on how to treat folliculitis on face must include the fact that you should avoid contacting with irritating substances. For people with folliculitis who are prone to rashes and acne, they should avoid contacting with any irritating substances. Actually, the irritation can cause an infection or slow down the healing process. For example, you should avoid some certain cosmetics such as creams, lotions, rubs, oils, etc.
3. Avoid Shaving The Infected Area
According to a study about shaving , improper shaving practices can result in folliculitis as it may irritate your skin. Also, persistent shaving can irritate your skin and spread this infection. Therefore, you need to avoid shaving and give your infected areas a break. If you have to shave these areas, you have to reduce the irritation on your affected area as much as possible. Instead of using a handheld razor, you can use an electric razor. Also, just use a clean razor when shaving.
4. Wear Loose Clothes
Wearing tight clothes is a common cause of skin irritation and folliculitis, so you should avoid wearing tight clothes. Besides, you should also avoid wearing tight jeans, leggings or any other materials that could irritate your skin. Instead, you should wear loose clothes that can help your skin breathe more easily.
There are some of the other great ways on how to treat folliculitis on scalp in this article. So, you should continue to read this interesting article and then consider applying one or more of these ways as soon as possible to boost up the healing process.
5. Avoid Touching The Infected Area
When you are looking for great ways on how to treat folliculitis on face and scalp, you should try to avoid touching your infected areas. Your hands and fingers have various bacteria, so they will be able to transmit to the other skin areas. You may feel sting and itchy on these infected areas, but you have to resist the urge for picking at these areas. You just touch these areas in case you use a soap, a cream, a lotion or topical medicine.
6. Avoid Hot Tubs Or Swimming Pools
Hot tubs or swimming pools that have not been properly treated with chlorine may result in folliculitis. Some bacteria causing folliculitis can be transmitted through dirty water. As a result, it is important for you to avoid having contact with these dirty water sources.
As you know that hot tubs or swimming pools are some common causes of folliculitis; therefore, avoiding these water sources is a simple way on how to treat folliculitis on scalp.
7. Change Bed Sheets Regularly
It is very important for you to maintain personal hygiene. One of the first things you should do is to change your bed sheets regularly. This is because your bed sheets can absorb your dirt, dust and sweat every night and then your skin often rubs against it’ therefore, it will delay the process of healing. Therefore, changing your bed sheets can help you get rid of this infection more quickly, so do not look down it!
8. Drink Plenty Of Water
Drinking plenty of water is a great way on how to treat folliculitis on scalp that you should not look down, yet try to drink enough water for good. It is recommended that you should drink 8- 10 cups of water on a daily basis. Water can help remove all of the harmful toxins from your body. Drinking enough water helps to improve your immune system, stop the infection growth and also prevent your body from getting other infections. Also, you can consume liquids from other sources such as soups, vegetable juices and fruit juices.
9. Use Over-The-Counter Painkillers
This is the last but very important way on how to treat folliculitis naturally that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers can consider using over-the-counter painkillers in a proper way.
To reduce the inflammation and pain associated with folliculitis, you can consider using some certain over-the-counter medicines. Painkillers such as acetaminophen and aspirin can help you reduce some mild cases of pain caused due to folliculitis. Besides, painkillers with anti-inflammatory properties like ibuprofen are good options for you because these medications will help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with folliculitis. However, most of the painkillers are safe in small dosage, large dosage or prolonged use can result in some serious conditions. As a result, you should follow their directions for safe use.
Besides, there are other things you can do to treat folliculitis and prevent it from spreading. They include:
- Take a shower or bathe daily with a mild soap.
- Avoid sharing washcloths, towels or any of the other personal items. In case you are having folliculitis, you should use a clean towel and washcloth whenever you bathe.
- Avoid using oils on the skin because they can trap bacteria in your skin pores and even cause more serious skin problem.
- Keep combs as well as other hair materials clean after you use them.
If you do not improve your skin problem after applying home remedies above or you experience some conditions such as boils under the skin, scars, dark spots, permanent hair loss, you should make an appointment with your doctor.
After reading this interesting article, we hope that you and my other readers of Healthy Guide can find the best solutions for your skin condition. Actually, all of the home remedies as I mentioned above have been reported to be effective in reducing the symptoms of folliculitis without causing any unwanted side effect. Therefore, you do not need to feel worried when applying any of these remedies at home.
If you know other people around you who are suffering from folliculitis and want to get rid of this infection with natural treatments, you should share this list with them right now and then remember to stimulate them to apply one or more of these remedies as soon as possible. Also, if you know other great ways on how to treat folliculitis on scalp, you should share them with other readers by leaving your comments in the comment below.
Leave a Reply