A runny nose is very common and it occurs when there is too much mucus in both of the sinus and nasal passages. Some common causes of a runny nose are allergic reactions, a sinus infection, a common cold and a sudden change in weather. If a runny nose is not treated properly, it can cause other severe health issues such as earaches, coughing, headaches, etc. Nowadays, there is a variety of medicines for a runny nose, but they can cause unwanted side effects. Therefore, you should consider applying some simple home remedies to get an instant relief and reduce the severity of your symptoms without causing any side effects.
- 21 Herbs That Kill Viruses And Clear Mucus From Your Lungs Most Experts And Doctors Recommend/ How To Get Rid Of Clogged Ears Naturally At Home – 27 Tips
List Of Simple Ways On How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose In Adults And Baby
Now, in this article, Healthy Guide will show you some of the best methods that can help you get rid of a runny nose. However, before that, you should be aware of some common signs and symptoms of a runny nose.
I. Symptoms Of A Runny Nose
It is very easy to notice the symptoms of a runny nose. When you have a runny nose, your mucus membrane starts producing excess mucus, making your nasal cavity is packed with mucus. In some cases, you can experience facial pain and headache. Besides, a post-nasal drip can make you cough or have sore throat. Plus, you can experience some other symptoms, including:
- Nasal discharge
- Stuffy nose
- Nasal discharge
- Watery eyes
Read on How To Treat Nasal Polyps In Children And Adults – Top 31 Tips to discover some of the best techniques that can help you treat nasal polyp in both children and adults.
II. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose- Some Simple Tricks
If you are suffering from a runny nose and want to know how to get rid of this annoying condition without needing to take any medication, you should keep both of your eyes on the following tricks and then try to apply some of them as soon as possible.
1. Determine The Cause
This should be the first way on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus that we want to mention in this article and want all of my readers who are suffering from a runny nose to determine the reasons for your condition before starting any treatment. If you know exactly why you have runny nose, you will be able to find the most effective treatment. Some common causes of runny noses and their treatments include:
- Cold/ sickness: Use steam and decongestants. Go to see your doctor if you notice that your symptoms become worse or last longer than 2 days.
- Clogging: Blow the nose and try to clear away the irritant.
- Allergies: Take an antihistamine.
- Stress: Have enough sleep and use stress relief techniques
List of Top 48 Best Home Remedies For Stress Relief And Removal will show you some of the best natural treatments that can give you a relief from stress, so check it out!
2. Change Your Diet
When it comes to great ways on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus, you should try to follow a balanced diet. Actually, eating a healthy diet plan can help your body fight off infection causing mucus formation and simultaneously break up phlegm as well as congestion. Therefore, you should avoid the some specific foods such as fish, shellfish, eggs, poultry and meat, dairy products, chocolate, salt, white pasta, white bread, white rice, pastries and cakes. Meanwhile, you can feel free to eat some certain foods such as hot soups, lentils, soybeans, fresh fruits, vegetables, pasta, wholegrain rice, whole grains, etc.
To know some of the best foods that both men and women should consume more in order to increase metabolism, read on 10 Foods To Increase Metabolism For Men And Women
3. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose Fast – Massage
You can gently massage your nose, earlobes and the area between your eyes in order to reduce sinus pressure, thereby helping cure your runny nose. You just need to apply light pressure to each of your nostril, slowly closing and opening them. This pressure point can help ease sinus congestion. After that, rub the area between your eyes and your earlobes in order to complete the technique. For better results, you can use a warm washcloth.
4. Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Staying hydrated is very important when resolving a runny nose, especially when you have symptoms of nasal congestion. It helps loosen the mucus in your sinuses. However, you should avoid beverages such as coffee and alcohol beverages because they can dehydrate your body. Actually, this trick is a great way on how to get rid of runny nose in baby that you should not skip out, yet try to give your babies plenty of fluids.
If you want to know some of the simplest recipes that can help you make healthy juice at home, read on List Of 25 Best Healthy Juice Recipes To Make At Home
5. Try Some Yoga Poses
It sounds strange to know that some certain yoga poses can help open your airways and drain the excess mucus. In this article, we will show you two simple yoga poses you can try out if you are looking for how to get rid of runny nose and mucus.
- Bow Pose: Yu lie on the stomach while bending the knees so that your feet towards the ceiling. Then, you reach your back and grab your ankles with your hands in order to lift your shoulders off the ground. Hold this yoga position for about 30 seconds.
- Bridge Pose: You lie on the back while bending the knees and planting the bottoms of your feet on the ground. Then, push your pelvis up while placing your shoulders on the floor so that your knees will stay directly over both of your feet. Hold this yoga position for up to a minute.
6. Blow Your Nose
This is a great way on how to get rid of runny nose in baby that you should not pass. A runny nose occurs when you have excess mucus and fluid in the nose. Therefore, the best way to help you get rid of a runny nose is to remove all of the excess fluid from the nose. According to a study about natural remedies for a runny nose , you remember to gently blow your nose in order to avoid causing skin irritation. Also, remember that you should not blow too often to avoid causing skin redness and burning. After blowing the nose, remember to wash your hands thoroughly in order to prevent bacteria from spreading.
7. Try Supplements And Medications
If you are looking for great ways on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus, you can consider using some supplements and medications. Nowadays, there are many over-the-counter pills, creams and sprays that can be used to help reduce the symptoms of your runny nose, including:
- Nasal sprays, especially those with olopatadine
- Topical decongestants and vapor rubs
- Zinc and magnesium supplements
8. Eat Chicken Soup
Although it may be so amazing when it comes to learning how to get rid of runny nose in baby, it actually does work. Eating hot chicken soup can help your babies loosen mucus in the throat, and the steam will be able to open up their sinuses.
9. Eat Spicy Foods
If you are unsure about how to get rid of runny nose and mucus, then you can consider eating spicy foods because they can help to loosen your mucus, making it easy to clear away. You will also be able to get rid of irritants and trapped germs when you cause your nose to run. The compound called capsaicin found in spices can irritate the mucus membranes, making them inflamed and causing your nose to run, thereby removing mucus and trapped irritants from the body. Some great options for you are cayenne pepper, wasabi, ghost pepper, habanero, ginger and horseradish, etc.
10. Use A Humidifier
Looking for 100% certain way on how to get rid of runny nose in baby? Then, you do not skip using humidity. Breathing dry, harsh air can dry out your airways, making your body produce more mucus. Therefore, you should use a humidifier in your bedroom. However, keep in mind that you have to keep it clean. This is because a humidifier can be an ideal environment for bacteria and mold to grow. You can clean the humidifier regularly with tea tree oil solution or white vinegar.
11. Adjust Your Pillows
Sleeping with an elevated head may be effective in relieving the symptoms of a runny nose. By sleeping this way, you will be able to prevent the annoying and painful cough. Some people may find uncomfortable to sleep with two pillows. A good trick for you is to place an additional pillow between the box springs and the mattress to form a more gradual slope.
Do you want to know other effective tips on how to get rid of runny nose in baby? Keep reading this interesting article and then try to apply one or more of these tips for good.
12. Limit Exposure To Irritants
Other great ways on how to get rid of runny nose in baby must include limiting exposure to irritants. According to a research about runny nose causes , runny nose can be caused due to the exposure to irritants; therefore, it is very important to know about your triggers and then try to avoid them. For many people, irritants include, strong chemical fumes, smog, pet dander, dust, molds or sudden temperature changes.
13. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose Fast – Use A Tissue
This trick is another great way on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus that you should consider applying for good. The tissue will help you absorb some fluid and mucus coming out of the nose
- At first, rip a tissue in half and roll each into a tiny ball
- Then, gently place it inside your nostril.
- Repeat this process on the other side with the other ball
- Relax and breathe as normal
Besides, you remember to apply the following tips if you want to get rid of runny nose and to open up your airways quickly:
- Stay warm while doing any of these procedures
- Stay away from the low temperature
- Have plenty of sleep
- Reduce stress from your daily life
III. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose- Home Remedies
There are some home remedies for runny nose that you can try without needing to worry about unwanted side effects. These methods will only give you a quick relief and improve your immune system.
1. Warm Compresses
To help get rid of runny nose and mucus, you can consider applying warm compresses. Simply, soak a small towel in some warm water. Then, place this warm towel over your eyes, nose and cheeks. Leave it on for about 3 minutes. Repeat this process 2- 6 times a day until all of the mucus has cleared away.
2. Licorice Root
Another herb for runny nose andmucus, licorice root tea has been found to reduce congestion by loosening mucus in airways so that you can expel it from your body. Besides, this herb also helps to fight the viruses causing the overproduction of mucus. For flu and colds, you can combine licorice root with other herbs such as ginger or cayenne.
3. Use Essential Oils
Using essential oils is worth mentioning in this list of great ways on how to get rid of runny nose thanks to their beneficial properties. According to a research about the uses of essential oils for sinus congestion , essential oils contain powerful germ-killing properties, which help to clear away your sinuses. When you have a stuffy nose, you can consider using essential oils to deal with your condition. The simplest method for you is to add a few drops of your oils to a diffuser. Also, you can add a few drops of your oil to your hot bathwater.
4. Salt Water
Salt water is a great way that can help you reduce the irritation accompanied with a runny nose. Also, salt water helps thin and loose the mucus, making it easier to clear away.
- Add ½ tsp. of table salt to a bowl with 2 cups of warm water.
- Then, keep your head tilted back and then put several drops of this solution into each of your nostril with the help of a dropper
- Gently inhale to let this solution go further into the nasal passages.
- After that, blow the nose in order to remove the solution and excess mucus
- Do this procedure several times at a sitting if required
- Repeat this remedy a few times daily until your condition is improved.
5. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose Fast – Turmeric
Turmeric can be used to treat some health issues, including a runny nose. It contains antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, making it effective in treating a cold and a runny nose.
- Soak ½ tsp. of ground turmeric in some linseed oil.
- Heat up the solution until it starts smoking.
- Then, slowly inhale the smoke through each nostril.
- Repeat this remedy twice per day.
- Take ½ tsp. of powered turmeric with some water twice a day in order to help loosen the mucus.
- Mix 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric in a glass of lukewarm milk
- Then, drink this solution before you go to bed.
- Also, you can add some black pepper to this solution to intensify the effect.
Garlic has powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties, making ita wonderful treatment for a runny nose. To use garlic for treating runny nose, you can apply any of the following methods:
- Chew a small garlic piece 3- 4 times per day in order to warm up the body and cure a runny nose
- Boil 3- 4 chopped garlic cloves in a cup of water for a few minutes. Then, strain it, add some sugar for taste and then drink the solution twice a day.
- Take garlic supplements regularly in order to reduce the severity of a runny nose.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Another great way on how to get rid of runny nose is using cayenne pepper. Actually, cayenne pepper works as an antihistamine that can help you cure a runny nose and clear up nasal congestion. It helps to increases nasal discharge, flush out the toxins causing your runny nose. Addition to this, it also aids to increase blood circulation and warm up your body. Therefore, if you are suffering from a runny nose, you can consider adding more cayenne pepper to your daily diet.
For babies who are over one year old, you can let them use the herb chamomile to relieve the symptoms of a runny nose. This is because this herb can help improve the immune system, and reduce sneezing thanks to its antihistamine properties.
- Add 1 tsp. of dried chamomile flowers to a bowl with 2 cups of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes before adding honey for better taste
- Give this chamomile tea to your children twice per day.
Actually, this is another great way that you should consider applying when it comes to learning how to get rid of runny nose in baby.
Honey contains powerfulantiviral and antibacterial properties, which can help reduce the frequency of a runny nose. To use honey for treating the symptoms of a runny nose, you can apply any of the following methods:
- Add 2 tsp. of honey to a cup if warm water. Then, drink this solution twice a day.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of honey, a pinch of powdered cinnamon with½ tbsp. of lemon juice. Then, consume this mixture twice per day.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of honey with 3- 4 drops of lemon juice in a cup of warm water. Then drink this warm solution twice per day.
- Note: Avoid heating up honey because it can make honey lose its effects.
10. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose Fast – Steam
When you have a runny nose, clearing the mucus by steaming can help you get faster treatment. Simply, place your face over a hot water bowl and have a towel over your head in order to trap the steam. Thenbreathe in the steam for 7- 10 minutes. For better effect, you can add a few drops of menthol oil or eucalyptus oil to the water. Then, blow the nose afterward in order to clear the excess mucus. Repeat this process 3-4 times a day. You can also take a hot bath for the same effects.
11. Sponge Bath
Another natural way on how to get rid of runny nose in baby is using sponge bath, which is highly recommended for problems related to sinuses. If your children have a runny nose, you can give them a sponge bath to help relax your children, which is required for faster recovery.
- For babies younger than one year-old, just give them a sponge bath 2- 3 times per day. Simply, soak a washcloth in clean water, squeeze out the excess water and then use it to sponge your children’s feet, armpits, hands and groin.
- For older children, you can give your children a sponge bath once or twice per day.
- Note: You should not use too cold water because it can make their condition worse.
Ginger contains antioxidants, anti-toxic, antiviral and antifungal properties, making it one of the best ways on how to get rid of runny nose in baby.
- Chew some small slices of raw ginger a few times a day. You can sprinkle them with some salt.
- Place 1 tsp. of powdered ginger in 2 cups of boiling water and then inhale the steam
- Place some slices of ginger root in a cup of boiling water to make a tea. Add some honey for taste and then drink it 3- 4 times a day.
- Take ginger in the form of lozenges in order to prevent a runny nose.
13. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves contain antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that can help treat a runny nose and warm up your body.
- Chew 3- 4 basil leaves twice a day, before you have breakfast and beforeyou go to bed at night.
- Mix 10 basil leaves with 5 cloves in a cup of water. Then, bring it to a boil for 10 minutes. Allow it to cool, add sugar for taste and then drink it. Reapply this remedy twice a day.
- Mix 2- 3 basil leaves with the small amount of jaggery. Consume ittwice a day.
14. Mustard Oil
According to a study about home remedies of a runny nose , the antiviral, antibiotic and antihistamine properties found in mustard oil will give you a quick relief from your runny nose. Now, in order to use mustard oil for treating the symptoms of runny nose, you can any of the following methods:
- Heat up some mustard oil until it becomes slightly warm. Then, put 1- 2 drops of the mustard oil in each nostril with the help of a dropper. Do this 2- 3 times per day.
- Add 2- 3 tbsp. of mustard oil and 1 tbsp. of caraway seeds to a bowl of hot water. Then, inhale the steam in order to warm up your respiratory system. Repeat this treatment twice per day.
- Note: Mustard oil is edible, so you can also add it to your cooking.
15. Black Elderberry
This herbal remedy can be used to sootheswollen mucus membranes, ease nasal congestion, and simultaneously fight off infections causing bronchitis and sinusitis. A study has found that this herb contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce the severity of flu symptoms, especially if you take it within 24-48 hours after these symptoms occur. You can take black elderberry in the form of liquid or capsule.
16. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is known as a decongestant and it can provide a quick relief from a runny nose. Therefore, if you are looking for an effective way on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus, you can try using this oil at home.
- Place some eucalyptus oil on a clean handkerchief and then breathe in it throughout the day.
- Add 7 drops of eucalyptus oil as well as 4 drops each of peppermint oil and lavender oil to a large bowl of hot water. Then, place your face over the bowl to inhale the steam. Reapply this remedy 2- 3 times per day.
This herb is also a great solution for a runny nose. Simply, have some powdered thyme and then inhale it in order to give you an instant relief. Actually, this home remedy is easy to apply and it is also effective in opening up your airways. Therefore, you should not look down it, but try to make use of this herb for good.
18. How To Get Rid Of Runny Nose Fast – Horseradish
Mucolytic properties found in horseradish can help you drain off your nose and sinuses. Addition to this, it also contains antimicrobial properties, which can help prevent the infection and provide an instant relief. Now, if you want to use horseradish for treating the symptoms of a runny nose, you can apply either of the following methods:
- Place ½- 1 tsp. of grated horseradish into your mouth.
- Leave it on for several seconds until it is flavorless
- Then, swallow it in order to clear all the mucus from your nose.
- Repeat it regularly to treat your runny nose.
- Mix 1/8 cup of grated horseradish and 1/4 cup of chopped onions in a cup of water.
- Let it simmer it for about 5 minutes before straining it.
- Drink this warm horseradish tea 2- 3 times per day.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar offers you many different health benefits, including relieving sinus problems. So, if you are suffering from a runny nose and want to treat it by using natural ingredients, you can consider using apple cider vinegar. Actually, this is the last but very important one among effective home remedies on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus that we want to mention in this article.
- Add a tbsp. of vinegar to a glass of water, and then drink this solution.
- You can mix apple cider vinegar with fruit juice for better taste
- Note: Never drink apple cider vinegar without diluting it. This is because it is very acidic and it can damage the stomach lining and the tooth enamel .
Normally, you can resolve your runny nose in a few days after applying one or more of these natural treatments. Nonetheless, if you suffer from a cough, feveror body aches, go to see your doctor as soon as possible.
After reading this article, we hope that all of my readers can find some of the best treatments for your condition. Actually, all of the methods as we mentioned above can be effective in clearing away all of the mucus in your nose and opening up your airways naturally without medications. Therefore, you can feel free to apply any of these remedies at the comfort of your own home whenever you have a runny nose. One more thing, if you know other effective ways on how to get rid of runny nose and mucus, you can share with other readers by leaving them in the comment box below. Thank for your sharing!