Ankle injuries are common injuries that people of all age can experience.Ankle injuries can be caused by poor posture or repetitive overuse when exercising. Besides, other causes of ankle injuries are imbalance in oppositional muscles, or muscular compensations. Also, the elderly can suffer from ankle injuries due to accidents such as falling.
A sprained ankle treatment depends on whether your injury is mild or severe. The goals of the treatment are to reduce swelling and pain, promote the ligament healing, and help your ankle function normally.
- 14 Ways On How To Treat Stiff Neck Pain Fast And Naturally/ Top 26 Best Home Remedies For Leg Pain And Swelling Relief
If you are looking for effective methods on how to treat sprained ankles at home, then you should keep both of your eyes on this useful article. Here we from Healthy Guide will show you some of the best natural treatments for ankle sprains that you can apply with ease at home.
I. What Is A Sprained Ankle?
A “sprain” often shows that your certain body’s part is overused and stressed. Ligaments are bands of tissue, which help to keep bones and joints in place. When an ankle sprain occurs,your ligaments may be pulled beyond their ability. When these ankle ligaments are completely damaged, your ankle will be able to become unstable even after your injury passes. Your ankle may have instability, weakness as well as other injuries in the future.
Some situations in which sprained ankle occur most often are:
- When exercising and moving quickly or moving on hard surface.
- When wearing unsupportive shoes
- Tripping or falling down
- Having muscular compensations
- Having poor posture
- Having old injuries
- Exercising too much
- Aging or health conditions like arthritis
- Having loose ligaments
Common signs and symptoms of sprained ankle include:
- Pain when moving or putting weight on your affected ankle
- Swelling, puffiness and redness around the affected joints
- A black or blue appearance surrounding your injury.
- Tenderness when touched
- A popping sound occurs when your injury takes place.
- Reduced motion in your lower body.
Read on How To Get Rid Of Cramps In Leg And Hands – 15 Ways to discover some of the best natural treatments for cramps in both legs and hands that can apply with ease at home.
When a doctor examine your ankle, lower leg and foot, he will touch the skin around your injury to check for the tenderness and the range of motion in order to determine what positions cause your pain or discomfort. In case your injury is severe, the doctor may recommend that you should take some of the following scans to get the more details about your damage.
- X-ray: A small amount of radiation will pass through the body and then produce images of your bones. It is ideal for ruling out a broken bone.
- CT scan: It will give you more detail about your joint. This test takes X-rays from lots of different angles and then combines them in order to make 3-D images.
- Magnetic resonance imaging: It will use radio waves as well as a magnetic field to give you 3-D images of thesoft internal structures of the ankle.
- Ultrasound: It will use radio waves to give you real-time images, which may help your doctor make a judgment about the condition of a tendonwhen your foot is placed in different positions.
II. How To Treat Sprained Ankle – Some Simple Methods
The good news for you is that there are some natural treatments for sprained ankle you can consider applying to boost up the healing process. Here are a few simple yet effective home remedies for ankle sprain that you can try out if you want to treat mild sprained ankle.
1. Take A Rest
This should be the first way on how to treat sprained ankle after a week that we want to mention in this article. Rest is very important for your healing process and it is also a basic treatment for sprained ankle. According to a study , you should try to rest your affected area for 48- 72 hours after you have injury. Basically, for optimal healing of minor sprains, a treatment program can take you about 2 weeks and for more severe injuries, it can take up to 12 weeks.Your required rest time may depend on your ability to heal and your sprained ankle symptoms. After your injury is initially healed, you should start moving your ankle again in order to reduce stiffness.
When you are taking a rest, avoid using your ankle and put weight on your sprained ankle. If necessary, you can use crutches to help keep your balance and distribute your weight when walking. Also, you can try using an elastic ankle brace to add stability and reduce inflammation and swelling while your ligaments are healing.
2. How To Treat Sprained Ankle – Massage
It is not surprising to know that massaging is very effective in curing the pain caused by sprained ankle. It can help relax your sprained ankles and boost up the healing process. Moreover, massage also helps to increase the blood circulation. To get the best results, massage your affected ankle area in the clockwise direction before changing the direction. Reapply this remedy every hour or until you have a hot feeling in your sprained ankle area.
3. Correct Your Posture
If you want to know how to treat sprained ankle at home, do not skip the fact that you should correct your posture as soon as possible. When your legs are weakened, problems with your posture can extend up to your hips and lower back. So, correcting your posture is the key to sprained ankle treatment. For the best results, you should work with a postural trainer or physical therapist. They can help you control compensations and simultaneously reduce risk for injury.
4. Try Supplements
Your body needs nutrients to help reduce inflammation, heal damaged tissues, and simultaneously increase growth factors. The following supplements are recommended as natural sprained ankle treatments:
- Bromelain: It is an enzyme, which you can find in pineapple and it can help with the process of healing thanks to its anti-inflammatory effect.
- Collagen: Ligaments and tendons are made of collagen, so taking in collagen can help with the recovery.
- Omega-3s: Healthy fats found in fish oil can help with wound healing and inflammation reduction.
- MSM: It contains anti-inflammatory properties and sulfur, which are good for tendon health.
- Green superfood powder: It can help with the rebuilding of tissues and ligament
If you want to know some of the best natural treatments for osteoporosis pain without causing any side effects, read on How to Treat Osteoporosis Pain Naturally – Top 33 Ways
5. Follow A Collagen- Rich Diet
To keep your joints, muscles and ligaments strong and healthy, your body needs some essential vitamins and minerals. There are a few anti-inflammatory foods you should add to your daily diet plan to support the healing process of damaged tissues and reduce swelling in your sprained ankle.
- -rich foods:We all know that collagen is required to keep all of the connective tissues strong and boost up the recovery. And bone broth is a great option for you. Apart from containing collagen, bone broth is also rich in amino acids and many essential minerals.
- Clean lean protein: The body needs enough protein to rebuild stressed tissues. Therefore, you should aim to consume about 3-5 ounces of organic lean protein per meal. Some great options for you are grass-fed beef and wild-caught fish.
- Vitamin C- rich foods: Vitamin C boosts the collagen rebuilding and the healing process. Therefore, you should try to increase your vitamin C intake by consuming more fresh fruits and vegetables such as strawberries, lemons, oranges, bell peppers, broccoli, etc.
- Foods rich in magnesium and potassium: These foods can help boost up the healing process and simultaneously reduce pains and swelling. You can consider consuming bananas and coconut water.
- Green leafy veggies:You should consume more vegetables that contain antioxidants, and vitamin K, which are required for the healing process. Some options for you are kale, spinach, broccoli, etc.
- Zinc- rich foods: Zinc helps to rebuild stressed tissues and improve the immune system. You can add beef, spinach and pumpkin seeds to your diet to increase the intake of zinc.
- Antioxidant-rich foods: When free radicals form, they can cause unwanted damages in your body. To prevent this damage, you should consume more antioxidant- rich foods such as berries, sea vegetables, fresh herbs, green teas, and other super-foods.
List of Top 14 Best Foods For Bones Growth And Strength will show you some of the best healthy foods for bone strength and growth, so check it out and then try to add these foods to your diet for good.
To boost the healing process, you should elevate your ankle above your heart’s level. You can lie down and use a pillow to keep your ankle elevated for 2- 3 hours daily until your swelling and bruising can be reduced. Actually, this is known as one of the best ways on how to treat sprained ankle at home that you should not pass.
After an ankle sprain, your muscles are often tight. Therefore, stretching is very important for helping you get your normal motion back. However, before doing any stretches, remember to consult your doctor to ensure that your ankle will be healed enough to function properly. Some simple stretching exercises for you are:
- At first, sit on the floor and extend your leg out in front of you.
- Cover the ball of your foot with a towel and then pull it toward your body. At the same time, you should keep your leg straight.
- Then, hold the stretch for about 15-30 seconds. If you feel too painful, you can start by holding the stretch for just a few seconds and gradually increase the time.
- Repeat this exercise 2- 4 times per day.
- At first, stand with your affected foot behind the other foot and your hands on the wall.
- Place your heel on the floor and then slowly bend the knee till you feel a stretch.
- Try to hold the stretch, slowly breathing slowly for about 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise 2- 4 times per day.
8. Strengthening Exercises
When your ankle can move without pain, you can start performing some exercises to strengthen your ligaments. The number of sets may depend on the severity of your ankle sprain, so consult your doctor before doing any exercise. Some strengthening exercises you can try out:
- Rotate your sprained ankle in small circles. Start with clockwise direction and then do another set with counter-clockwise direction.
- Sit straight in a chair and place your affected foot on the floor. After that, gently shift the knee from side to side for 2- 3 minutes.
- Trace the alphabet in the air by using your toes.
Do you want to know other great ways on how to treat sprained ankle at home? Continue to keep both of your eyes on the next part of this article and then try to apply one or more of these methods as soon as possible.
III. How To Treat Sprained Ankle – Home Remedies:
There are some natural home remedies that you can consider applying at the comfort of your own home. Actually, all of these home remedies can help you reduce the discomforts caused by ankle sprains and simultaneously boost up your healing process. Therefore, you should try to apply one or more of these remedies as soon as possible.
1. Olive Oil
Using olive oil is an effective way on how to treat sprained ankle after a week that you should try out! The phenolic compound found in olive oil has been found to help reduce inflammation caused due to a sprained ankle. Besides, olive oil also has healing properties that can help you boost up the recovery.
- Firstly, heat 3- 4 tbsp. of olive oil and then allow it to cool down
- Next, apply the warm oil onto your sprained ankle.
- Gently massage this area for several minutes to relax your muscles and reduce the pain.
- Repeat this remedy 3- 4 times per day for a few days.
To know some of the best uses of extra virgin olive oil to help you get rid of acne problems, read on 19 Ways On How To Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Acne Skin
2. How To Treat Sprained Ankle – Castor Oil
Castor oil is another great way on how to treat sprained ankle after a week thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- At first, dip a clean cotton pad into a bowl of castor oil.
- Then, place this pad onto your sprained ankle and secure it with several plastic rubber bands
- Next, place a hot water bottle over the pack and leave it on for half an hour.
- Keep your affected area raised for a couple of minutes before removing the pack
- Finally, gently massage your affected area with the rest of castor oil.
- Repeat this remedy for 2- 3 times per day for 2 days.
3. Cold Compress
In the first 1-2 days after your injury, you should try placing ice wrapped in a cloth or a frozen bag of vegetables on your affected ankle to reduce swelling. Leave it on for about 15-30 minutes and repeat this a few times per day. If you have circulation issues or diabetes, consult your doctor before applying this treatment. Besides, you should keep the heat away from your affected foot and avoid applying ice directly to your affected skin.
When your affected ankle becomes white, you should stop using ice right away because it is a sign of cold injury. Besides, using cold compresses can cause some problems for those with diabetes. So, you should consult your doctors before applying this method.
Actually, this method is convenient to use and effective in reducing pain and swelling caused by sprained ankle; therefore, you should give it a try if you want to treat your ankle sprain at the comfort of your own home.
4. Epsom Salt
After a few days, you can use Epsom salt to treat your sprained ankle. Doctors recommend that you should apply only cold compress in a few days after an injury. This is because the application of heat could cause additional inflammation during the initial periods of healing. Meanwhile, Epsom salt can help relieve sore muscles and rebuild connective tissues.
- Firstly, add some Epsom salt to your warm bathwater.
- Then, stir them well until the salt dissolves in the water.
- Now, soak your sprained ankle into the water for half an hour.
- Repeat this home remedy twice a day for 3- 4 days.
According to a research about health benefits of ginger , ginger contains lots of properties that are very good for your overall health. Apart from containing antioxidants, this spice is also rich in gingerols that are found to help reduce the pain caused by osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. You can make a ginger compress to treat sprained ankle at home. However, do it only after 2- 3 days after your injury occurred because the warm compress is not good if you do it right after having a sprain.
Method 1: Fresh ginger root and water
- Firstly, slice a 3-inch piece of fresh ginger root.
- Then, place them into the pot packed with 7-8 cups of water
- Boil it up for 6-7 minutes and then let it cool down
- After that, soak aclean washcloth into the warm ginger water.
- Next, wrap it onyour sprained ankle
Method 2: Dry ginger powder and water
- Firstly, add enough water to 3 tbsp. of ginger powder to create a smooth paste.
- Then, apply this ginger paste to your sprained ankle.
- Next, use the bandage to keep the paste on place and let it sit on for 6- 7 hours.
- Finally, wash it off with clean water.
- Repeat it again if necessary. Ideally, you should do it before going to bed.
6. Try Essential Oils
There are a few essential oils that can be used as natural treatments for sprained ankle. If you want to reduce swelling, pain and inflammation as well as increase circulation to your affected ankle, you can consider applying cypress essential oil to your sprained ankle. If you want to reduce inflammation and bruising, you can also consider mixing various essential oils.
- Mix 2 drops each of peppermint oil and frankincense oil with 1/2 tsp. of coconut oil.
- Then, you apply this oil mixture to your sprained area.
- After that, apply a warm compress over your affected area for about 2 minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy 3- 5 times daily until you notice the improvement.
- Take 1- 3 drops each of Frankincense oil, clove bud oil, wintergreen oil, ginger oil and peppermint oil.
- Mix these essential oils with 1-2 tbsp. of any carrier oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, or jojoba oil.
- Then, use this oil mixture to gently massage your sprained ankle for several minutes.
- Repeat this home remedy 1- 3 times per day.
7. Olive Oil And Egg Yolk
This sounds strange when it comes to learning how to treat sprained ankle at home, but it actually does work. To use this mixture for treating the symptoms of sprained ankle, you just need to take the following steps:
- Firstly, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to one egg yolk.
- Mix them well and then apply it onto your sprained ankle
- Next, use a cotton pad to cover the affected area for 2 days.
- Repeat this process for a few days.
8. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysumessential oil contains anti-hematomatic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, this essential oil can help you prevent the secondary damage caused due to free radicals. Now, you just need to follow the instructions below if you want to get rid of ankle sprain symptoms:
- Firstly, apply the helichrysum oil directly onto your sprained ankle
- Repeat this process once or twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can also mix this essential oil with hazelnut oil orrosehip seed oil and then massage your affected area with this oil mixture
9. How To Treat Sprained Ankle – Onion
Onion can be used as a great way on how to treat sprained ankle at home because it contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Besides, according to a study , onion can also be effective in reducing the swelling, pain and inflammation.
- Firstly, chop a large onion into a few small pieces.
- Then, place these onion pieces in a muslin cloth
- Next, place this cloth on your affected area for 2 hours.
- Repeat this remedy if necessary to reduce the sprained ankle symptoms.
10. Onion And Salt
Actually, the combination of onion and salt is worth mentioning in this list of great ways on how to treat sprained ankle at home thanks to their beneficial properties. Now, if you want to get rid of sprained ankle, you can consider taking the following steps:
- Firstly, place an onion in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Then, cut it into some small pieces before mixingthem with some salt.
- Next, apply this mixture onto your sprained ankle.
- Finally, use an elastic bandage to wrap it. Remember to apply a new compress every 7 hours.
- Repeat this home remedy for 1-2 days depending on the rate of your recovery.
11. Rosemary Leaves And Grain Alcohol
Rosemary herb contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can help you treat sprained ankle at home. A tincture made from rosemary leaves can be applied onto your sprained ankle. Actually, this is a great way on how to treat sprained ankle at home that you should give it a try.
- Firstly, chop rosemary leaves and then place them into a jar
- Next, top it withenough grain alcohol.
- Now, use a lid to cover the jar and then place it in a dark place for about 4- 6 weeks.
- After that, strain the herb with the help of the cheesecloth.Continue to store the jar in th dark place
- When using, apply this tincture onto your affected area.
12. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil contains antiseptic, analgesic, antibacterial, fungicidal and astringent properties. Therefore, it can help you reduce the pain in your muscles and joints as well as regenerate connective tissues and ligaments. However, you must dilute it with some carrier oil like olive oil before applying it onto your affected areas.
- Firstly, mix lemongrass oil with olive oil in a 1:4 ratio
- Then, apply this oil mixture to your affected area and gently massage for a couple of minutes
- Repeat this simple remedy for 3- 4 times per day.
13. Garlic Oil And Almond Oil
This is another great way on how to treat sprained ankle that you should give it a try! Garlic contains anti-inflammatory properties, so it can help you reduce the inflammation and pain. Besides, thanks to its healing properties, garlic can help boost up the healing process.
- At first, mix 1 tsp. each of garlic oil and almond oil.
- Then, gently massage your sprained ankle with this oil mixture
- Repeat this process 2- 3 times daily for the best results.
14. Garlic Juice And Coconut Oil
Another great way on how to treat sprained ankle after a week is to use the combination of garlic juice and coconut oil, which is highly recommended for bone problems. To use this mixture for reducing pain, swelling and inflammation related to ankle sprains, you just need to take the following steps:
- At first, mix 1 tbsp. of garlic juice with 2 tbsp. of warm coconut oil.
- Then, gently massage your affected area with this mixture.
- Leave it on for half an hour before washing it off with lukewarm water
- Reapply this home remedy 3- 4 times per day for several days.
Cabbage contains anti-inflammatory properties, making it one of the best ways on how to treat sprained ankle after a week. This compress is often used to reduce the swelling in thebroken bones and sprains. Addition to this, cabbage is also rich in phytonutrients and vitamins, which can help boost up the healing process.
- Firstly, remove the outer leaves from the cabbage and then release the juice from these cabbage leaves with the rolling pin
- Then, wrap these leaves in foil before warming them up in an oven.
- Now, place these warm cabbage leaves over your sprained ankle and use a gauze bandage to keep it in place
- Next, cover it with a plastic wrap to keep it warm
- Leave it on for 30 minutes before removing it.
- Follow this treatment twice daily for about 2- 3 days.
16. White Willow Bark And Grain Alcohol
White willow bark is known as a natural pain- relieving herb that can help to reduce the inflammation and pain. Therefore, you can consider taking white willow bark tea or tincture to reduce the pain caused by ankle sprain.
- At first, place 1/5 part of white willow bark into a quart jar.
- Then, fill up the jar with grain alcohol.
- Shake them well and then place it in a dark place for 2- 3 months
- After that, strain it with the help of a cheesecloth
- Now, pour the contents into a dark bottleand place it in a dark place
- When using, take 30- 60 drops in a glass,
- Next, dilute it with clean water before consuming it
- Drink it for 3-4 times per day
- Note: White willow bark can cause thin blood. So, if you are taking drugs for blood thinners, avoid usingthis herb. Also, do not let your children contact with this herb.
Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory property, making it one of the best ways on how to treat sprained ankle for a week. To use turmeric for reducing pain and boosting up the recovery, you can try taking the following steps:
- At first, add turmeric powder to a glass of lukewarm water. Add some lime juice for extra benefits.
- Then, apply this mixture onto your affected ankle and let it sit on for about 10 hours
- Repeat this home remedy every day until you notice the improvement
18. Arnica Oil
The answer on how to treat sprained ankle naturally is no longer difficult to tell. Arnica has been found to help you get rid of sprained ankle by improving your muscles and boosting up the recovery.
- Apply some arnica oil onto your sprained ankle and then cover it by using a bandage
- Leave it on for about 5 hours before removing the bandage
- Repeat the procedure until your pain and swelling disappears.
- Note: Some people can experience some skin problems after applying arnica. So, to be safe, you should make a patch test for skin.
19. How To Treat Sprained Ankle – Aloe Vera
Many people do not know that aloe vera is one of the best ways on how to treat sprained ankle. It can help reduce the pain, swelling and boost up the healing process. Actually, this remedy has been used by the large number of sports players who often have injuries. To help you get rid of your ankle sprains, you just need to take the aloe vera gel and then apply it on your affected areas. Leave it on until the gel becomes dry. You can also use the aloe vera gel along with some ice cubes. Simply, soak a towel into some aloe vera gel, place some ice cubes in the towel and then use this towel onto your sprained ankle. When the gel is dry, soak it again in the gel and reapply it for 30-60 minutes. Just note that when aloe gel is too thin, you can add the small amount of glycerin to the gel for a thicker texture.
Turmeric is a natural pain reliever thanks to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Besides, the antispasmodic properties found in turmeric can help you relax your stressed joints, muscles, and tissues and therefore helping to reduce the pain and swelling.
- Firstly, get 1-2 tsp. of turmeric power and mix it with enough water to make a smooth paste.
- Then, warm up this paste a little before applying it onto your affected area
- Now, cover the turmeric poultice with a cloth and leave it on for 1-2 hours
- Finally, wash off the paste with warm water.
- Note: You can apply this paste at night before going to bed and leave it on there overnight for better results.
21. Turmeric Powder And Limestone Powder
In regard to learning how to treat sprained ankle after a week, you can consider applying this home remedy right away. Actually, this remedy is very easy to apply and you just need to follow the instructions below:
- Firstly, mix 1 tbsp. each of turmeric powder, limestone powder and water to form a thick paste.
- Then, warm up the paste for several minutes before applying it onto your sprained ankle at night before going to bed
- Next, wrap the paste with a bandage and allow it to sit on for overnight
- The next morning, remove the bandage and reapply this remedy for 2-3 days
- For more severe pain, you can add 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric to a cup of lukewarm milk. Mix them well before drinking it twice a day for about 7 days
22. Turmeric Powder And Lemon Juice
One of the best treatments for how to treat sprained ankle that has been recommended by many ankle sprain sufferers is to use the mixture of turmeric powder and lemon juice.
- Firstly, mix 2 tsp. of powdered turmeric, 1 tbsp. of lemon juice, and a little warm water to from a thick paste.
- Then, apply this paste onto your affected area and wrap it with the help of a bandage
- Now, leave it on for about 9-10 hours and repeat the process every 10 hours.
- Continue reapplying this treatment for one week to get the best results.
23. Sweet Marjoram Oil
Sweet marjoram oil contains analgesic, antifungal, antiviral, antispasmodic, and antiseptic and antibacterial properties, so it can help to reduce pain and swelling caused by sprained ankle.
- At first, add a few drops of sweet marjoram oil to a basin packed with cold water.
- Then, soak a clean towel into the cold water and wring it out to remove the excess water
- Finally, use this towel onto your sprained ankle.
- Reapply this remedy if needed
24. Arnica, Peppermint Oil, Coconut Oil, And Lavender Oil
Arnica flowers can be used for healing the injuries in the joints and muscles. Besides, they are also rich in anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce the inflammation, swelling, and pain. Moreover, arnica also helps to increase the blood circulation and prevent bruises in your injured area.
- Firstly, crush 2 cups of arnica flowers and place it into the double boiler
- Then, pour 2 cups of coconut oil into the boiler so that it can cover the herb completely
- Allow it to infuse on the low heat for 12- 24 hours and stir it well occasionally.
- Next, let the mixture cool down.
- When the coconut oil is still in the form of liquid, place a cheesecloth over a mason jar and then pour this mixture over it.
- After that, pour the infused oil in the double boiler again and heat it up on low or medium heat
- Now, add ½ cup of beeswax and then stir them well until it is dissolved.
- Remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool down before mixing it with ¼ tsp. each of peppermint oil and lavender oil
- Finally, store the mixture in a container and use it onto your sprained ankle if needed
25. White Fir Essential Oil
White fir essential oil contains many powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it can be widely- used for stressed joints and muscles, especially for treating the pains and swelling. To explain how to treat sprained ankle after a week with white fir essential oil, you can take the following steps:
- At first, mix the equal amounts of white fir essential oil and any vegetable oil
- Then, place a few drops of this mixture onto your sprained ankle
- Gently massage it for a couple of minutes
- Repeat this home remedy for 2- 4 times a day.
IV. How To Treat Sprained Ankle With Healthy Foods
Apart from natural treatments for sprained ankle as we mentioned above, you should also add some of the following healthy foods to your daily diet in order to boost your healing process.
Eating more fruits is the next way on how to treat sprained ankle at home that we want to mention in this article. Apart from being delicious, fruits contain many essential nutrients, which are good for the development of cells and tissues. Besides, eating fruits can help you relieve the pain as well as swelling caused due to sprained ankle and simultaneously boost up the recovery. Some typical fruits that you consume more are:
- Strawberry: They contain high content of vitamin C, rutin and folic acid, which are good for the health of tissues and joints
- Blueberries: They can help to increase the production of collagen and fight off tissue damage.
- Cherries: They are rich in phytochemicals, which can help to reduce inflammation.
- Apricots: They have been shown to help reduce the risk of arthritis, keep bones strong and simultaneously reduce pain.
- Dragon fruit: It contains nutrients such as vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin C, iron, phosphorus and calcium. All of them are good for bone health.
- Banana: It is rich in vitamin B6, vitamin C, folate and potassium, which help to improve immune system.
Another great way on how to treat sprained ankle after a week in this list is to consume vegetables. We all know that calcium is very necessary for bone growth and osteoporosis prevention. Apart from being found in milk and dairy products, you can also find calcium in vegetables. Moreover, according to a study , vitamin K2 found in dark green veggies also aids with the metabolism of calcium as well as bone formation. Therefore, in order to boost up the recovery, the simple way for you is to add vegetables to your daily diet plan. Some typical vegetables that you should consume more to boost up the treatment process of sprained ankle are:
- Bean sprouts: They contain high contents of vitamin C, minerals, proteins, amino acids, phyto-estrogens and isoflavones. So, they can be used to help strengthen the joints and bones, reduce the risk of osteoporosis. However, there may be poison in raw bean sprouts, so you should be careful when cleaning them. Also, it is recommended that you should not eat more than 550g of bean sprouts daily.
- Spinach: It contains vitamin A, vitamin K, iron, calcium, and magnesium, so it is very good for your bone health. Just a serving of fresh spinach is double your requirement of vitamin K per day. However, if you are suffering from kidney disease, you should eat spinach in moderation.
- Cabbage: It is high in vitamin K, which helps to increase bone density and simultaneously prevent bone fracture. To change your taste, consider substituting cabbage with spinach, broccoli, kale as well as other dark green leafy veggies.
- Tomatoes: They are rich in vitamin K, calcium and essential nutrients, which help to provide more collagen, prevent degeneration and protect the joints. Moreover, tomato seeds can take place of the aspirin thanks to their analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Potatoes: The vitamin C found in potatoes is very high and it can help to produce more collagen. Besides, potatoes are also rich in magnesium, which can help with the absorption of calcium.
This is another way on how to treat sprained ankle at home that you should not pass. As we know that proteins are good for the body to repair and maintain muscles. So, you should try to add protein-rich foods to your daily diet:
- Beef: It is a great source of protein and iron, which are very important for bone formation.
- Salmon: The body needs vitamin D to regenerate the bone density. And salmon is also a great source of natural vitamin D apart from skin exposure to sunlight.
- Pork loin: About 90g of cooked pork loin provides about 139 calories, 1.3g of saturated fat and 24g of protein.
Besides, to prevent sprained ankle and boost up the recovery, you should perform the following preventive measures:
- When exercising, remember to wear appropriate shoes
- If running or walking fast, opt for the soft landing.
- Avoid foods that can worsen your inflammation such as alcohol, salt, sugar, fried foods, hydrogenated oils, refined grains , caffeine, etc.
- Warm up before performing any physical activity.
If your ankle is very painful and swollen when walking on, go to see a doctor right away. This can help to prevent sprained ankle symptoms from worsening. Also, it is very important to cure ankle sprains. Ignoring the symptoms can weaken your ankle, cause future injuries and even some other muscular compensations.
Actually, this article suggests some of the best methods to help you reduce the pain and swelling caused by ankle sprains without causing any harmful side effects. Hope that we can find out the suitable remedies for your condition after reading our list. If you know other simple ways on how to treat sprained ankle after a week apart from these as we mentioned above, remember to share them with other readers by leaving your comments in the comment box below. Also, if you want to know further simple but effective health and beauty tips, remember to visit our How To page regularly.