A tooth infection is often caused by bacteria that get into the tooth through a dental cavity or crack and then spread to the root tip. If untreated, the tooth infection can spread to the bone supporting the tooth, hence causing some life-threatening complications. If you notice signs of a tooth infection, see a dentist as soon as possible. Also, in order to fight the tooth infection and reduce the severity of symptoms, try some of the following natural home remedies.
- 34 Best Ways To Remove White Spots From Teeth Fast & Naturally/ 34 Tips How To Treat Swollen Gums Around Tooth And Cheek With Pus
List Of Home Remedies For Tooth Infection
In this article, Healthy Guide will show you some simple home remedies for tooth infection that you can consider applying at the comfort of your own home. So, if you are worried about this oral problem and want to get rid of it using natural ingredients, you can try any of the following remedies.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of A Tooth Infection
There are many triggering factors of a toot infection. They include:
- Poor dental hygiene: If you do not clean the teeth properly, the foods as well as dental plaque will form an ideal environment for the bacteria causing tooth infections to grow.
- Dental trauma: If a tooth is broken, the tooth enamel will be vulnerable, and bacteria can attack the pulp cavity, hence causing tooth decay and spreading the infection to the tooth’s root.
- Tooth decay: People with tooth decay have higher risk of developing tooth infection.
- Improper diet: People who consume too much sugar can have higher risks of developing decay tooth and tooth infection.
- Poor immunity: People with diabetes or those who are performing radiation cancer treatment or those with other medical problems have higher risks of developing tooth infection.
If you want to treat the tooth infection fast and naturally, you should not skip the following signs and symptoms of tooth infection. Some common symptoms of a tooth infection are:
- A throbbing and sharp toothache
- Pain when chewing food
- Sensitivity to cold or hot food items
- Bad breath
- Red and sore gums
- Change in taste senses
- White pus around the root
- Swelling in the cheek and face
- Difficulty in opening the mouth and swallowing foods.
If you notice any of the symptoms listed above, you should see a dentist as soon as possible. These symptoms can show that you are having a tooth infection. And if untreated, the infection can enter the jawbone, and other body’s parts.
List of 35 Tips How To Stop A Toothache From A Broken Tooth Naturally will show you some of the best tips that can help you stop a toothache from a broken tooth fast, so check it it out!
II. Home Remedies For Tooth Infection And Swelling
There are many home remedies for tooth infection and swelling out there. And now, we will show you some of the natural treatments for tooth infection pain that you can consider applying at home.
1. Oil Pulling
This should be the first one among natural home remedies for tooth infection pain that we would like to mention in this article. Oil pulling can be effective in treating a tooth infection or painful gums. This trick helps eliminate the bacteria in your mouth, draw toxins from your mouth and improve oral health.
- Place 1 tbsp. of virgin coconut oil in the mouth.
- Swish it inside your mouth for more than 15 minutes without swallowing it.
- Leave it on 15 minutes before spitting it out
- Finally, rinse your mouth with some warm water.
- Repeat this process twice per day for about a month.
- Note: Avoid using this remedy when you have an empty stomach.
Read on 38 Tips How To Get Rid Of A Toothache Pain Naturally At Home to discover some of the natural home remedies for a toothache pain that you can apply at home.
2. Black Tea Bag
Using a black tea bag is another great way on how to cure tooth infection. This is because black tea has a compound called tannins, which help relieve pain and inflammation. Besides, it is also rich in powerful antioxidants, which help fight infection and improve oral health.
- Dip a black tea bag in some warm water for several minutes.
- Then, remove the tea bag from the water and squeeze it out.
- Place the black tea bag on your affected tooth
- Let it sit on for at least several hours or overnight
- The next morning, rinse the mouth using warm water mixed with salt.
- Repeat this remedy once daily for a few weeks.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be used to treat a tooth infection and it is considered as one of the best home remedies for tooth infection pain that you should try out! This is because this kind of vinegar contains disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help relieve pain and inflammation in the affected area.
- Add 1 tsp. of raw apple cider vinegar to a cup of water
- Drink this solution twice daily.
- Swish 1 tbsp. of raw apple cider vinegar in the mouth for several minutes.
- Then, spit it out and ensure that you do not swallow it.
- Finally, rinse the mouth with some warm water.
- Repeat this remedy a few times daily.
To know some simple uses of apple cider vinegar for dandruff as well as itchy scalp, read on 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss
4. Best Home Remedies For Tooth Infection – Honey
It sounds strange when it comes to learning home remedies for tooth infection and swelling, but honey actually does work. According to a study, honey can help prevent the plaque bacteria growth and simultaneously reduce the production of acids, making it a great food against tooth decay and infection.
- Dissolve 2 tbsp. of raw honey and powdered cinnamon in a cup of warm water
- Mix it well until all of the ingredients are dissolved.
- Use this mixture to gargle your mouth.
- Finally, rinse off the mouth with warm water
- Repeat this process every morning after waking up.
If you want to know some natural ways to improve the health of your skin and hair using raw honey, read on 31 Best Natural Ways To Use Honey To Improve Skin, Hair, And Nails
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains anti-inflammatory properties. And, when it combines with clove oil with analgesic effect, you will have a great solution for treating the tooth infection. So, if you are looking for natural home remedies for tooth infection, you should not forget this remedy.
- Mix 1 tsp. of olive oil with 2 tsp. of clove oil
- Stir it well until you get a homogenous mixture.
- Then, soak a cotton ball into this paste
- Place the cotton ball onto your affected tooth and leave it on for about 5 minutes
- Repeat this process 3-4 times daily whenever the toothache happens.
According to a study , clove is a great solution for many dental issues, including a tooth infection. It contains analgesic, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which help reduce toothache, soreness and inflammation in the gums.
- Soak a cotton ball in some clove oil
- Place it on your infected area for several minutes.
- Place a whole clove between the painful tooth and the cheek.
- Chew it to release its juice.
- Let it sit on in your mouth for more than 30 minutes.
- Finally, rinse the mouth with warm water.
7. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is packed with antioxidant and antibacterial properties, which are required for treating a tooth infection. Also, this oil improves the immune system to fight tooth infections and simultaneously stimulates the healing process. For the best result, you repeat either of the following methods 3-4 times daily.
- Apply some oregano oil directly on your affected tooth
- Leave it on for more than 15 minutes.
- Mix 3- 5 drops of oregano oil in about ¼ cup of lukewarm water to make a natural mouthwash.
- Swish it in your mouth for 10 minutes before spitting it out completely.
Garlic contains antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great solution for a tooth infection. It helps reduce pain and simultaneously prevent the infection from spreading. You can repeat any of the following remedies 3- 4 times daily for several weeks.
- Place a fresh clove of garlic in the mouth and crush it using your teeth.
- Chew it until your pain goes away.
- Then, spit out the garlic clove and rinse the mouth using warm water.
- Add some clove oil to your warm water to eliminate the residual odor.
- Rub some garlic oil on your affected tooth.
- Mix ½ tsp. of powdered garlic with about a pinch of salt
- Then, apply this mixture directly on your affected tooth.
- Let it sit on for about 10 minutes
- Finally, rinse the mouth with mouthwash.
The compound called allicin in garlic can damage your digestive tract. So, you should eat garlic in moderation, and if you notice any irritation, stop using immediately.
9. Home Remedies For Tooth Infection – Salt Water
When it comes to learning home remedies for tooth infection and swelling, you should consider making use of salt water. Salt contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties, which help relieve inflammation and pain and prevent the bacteria growth in the mouth.
- Add 1 tsp. of salt to a glass of warm water.
- Then, mix it well until the salt completely dissolves.
- Rinse off the mouth with this salt water solution.
- Repeat this remedy 2- 3 times daily to reduce the infection.
When it comes to reducing the pain caused by a tooth infection, peppermint works wonders. This is because it contains antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which help relieve inflammation and prevent the infection from spreading.
- Apply some peppermint oil on your affected area
- Leave it on for a few minutes.
- Alternatively, apply some fresh peppermint juice on your affected tooth.
- Repeat either of these processes a few times daily.
11. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide contains antibacterial and disinfectant properties, which help kill off the bacteria causing a tooth infection. Besides, hydrogen peroxide can help relieve pain and inflammation. For oral health, using 3% hydrogen peroxide solution is recommended. To use hydrogen peroxide for curing tooth infection, you can apply either of the following methods:
- Mix 2 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tbsp. of lukewarm water.
- Then, rinse the mouth with this solution
- Finally, spit it out completely.
- Repeat this process 3 times per week.
- Mix 1 tsp. of baking soda with about ½ tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to form a paste.
- Then, apply this paste on your affected area
- Leave it on for a few minutes
- Finally, rinse the mouth thoroughly using some warm water.
- Repeat this remedy a couple of times per week.
Do you want to discover other effective home remedies for tooth infection? If your answer is “yes”, keep reading this interesting article and then try applying some of the following natural remedies at the comfort of your own home.
We all know that turmeric is packed with antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, so it can be used to reduce inflammation and pain caused by a tooth infection and also improve oral health. For the best results, reapply any of the following remedies several times daily.
- Mix 1 tsp. of powdered turmeric with some water to create a paste.
- After you brush the teeth as usual, rub this paste directly on your affected area.
- Let it sit on for about 15- 20 minutes
- Finally, rinse off the mouth with some warm water.
- Mix ¼ tsp. of powdered turmeric with 1 tsp. of mustard oil or olive oil.
- Then, rub this mixture on your affected area.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes
- Finally, rinse off the mouth with warm water.
- Mix 1 tsp. of salt with ½ tsp. of powdered turmeric in a cup of warm water.
- Use this solution to rinse the mouth.
Ginger can be used to reduce many potentially harmful ingredients in daily cooking. According to a research about health benefits of ginger juice , ginger contains antibacterial properties, so it can help heal infections, redness, small wounds and swelling that are associated with the toothache.
- Wash a fresh ginger without peeling off its skin
- Then, chop it into some small slices
- Place these ginger slices on your affected tooth
- Bite it to take our the ginger juice
- Next, shake the juice around your tooth using your tongue
- Continue chewing these ginger pieces until they soften and smooth
- After that, swallow or split it out.
- Repeat this process daily before going to bed within 7-10 days.
- Place some ginger pieces in a cup
- Then, pour some boiling water into the cup to make ginger tea
- Let it steep for more than 20 minutes.
- Drink this tea and clean the affected area in your mouth before you swallow it
- Repeat this process several days for the best results.
14. Chrysanthemum Juice
Chrysanthemum is well known as an herb that offers many benefits for human health. The dried and fresh chrysanthemums have been used to make tea for years. The active compound in chrysanthemum oil is bisabolol, which contains anti-irritant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Clean about 5 daisy petals and pound them into a container
- Squeeze its juice to drink
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a week within a month.
15. Home Remedies For Tooth Infection – Papaya
Papaya is rich in vitamins A and C, so it can help improve the immune system. Besides, the anti-inflammatory properties of papaya make it a great solution for reducing inflammation and boosting the healing process. Young papaya leaves have been found to help reduce tooth infection and inhibit the bacteria growth.
- Cut a small and green papaya to get the resin
- Then, wrap some toothpicks in cotton wool
- Dip the cotton ball in the resin and place it in your affected tooth
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes before spitting it out.
- Finally, rinse off the mouth with clean water
- Repeat this remedy several times daily.
- Note: Pregnant woman should avoid this remedy because swallowing the resin by chance can make the uterus constrain, hence causing premature birth.
Actually, using papaya is known as one of the best home remedies for tooth infection and swelling that you should not look down, but try to make use for good.
16. Cold Compress
If you do not know home remedies for tooth infection pain, you can consider applying cold compress. Placing an ice pack on the mouth can help relieve the symptoms of tooth infection.
- Use a clean towel to wrap an ice pack
- Place this ice pack outside your mouth for 10 minutes.
- When you feel that it is too cold, remove this ice pack.
According to a research , salt contains antiseptic properties, so it can be used to cure tooth infection at home. Besides, gargling with salt water can help keep your teeth clean and healthy and simultaneously remove bacteria from the tooth surface.
- Mix some salt with warm water
- Then, gargle your mouth with this solution for about 2 minutes
- Finally, spit it out.
- Crush a piece of ginger to create a paste
- Then, add some salt to the paste
- Place this paste into a clean cloth and take out the fresh juice.
- Apply this juice all over your infected tooth and let it sit on for 10 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a week.
18. Piper Lolot
This is one among best home remedies for tooth infection and swelling that you should try out! Piper lolot is a regular spice and it can be used to cure tooth infection. This vegetable contains antibacterial properties, making it a great solution for inflammation and other symptoms of tooth infection.
- Wash 5 piper lolot leaves and extract them to get the juice
- Pour the juice into a bowl and then add 1 tbsp. of salt.
- Mix it well and use it to gargle your mouth for 4-5 minutes
- Repeat this remedy a few times a day
- Add some salt while grinding 5 piper lolot leaves
- Extract the paste until you get 1 tbsp. of piper lolot juice
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice before applying it on your infected tooth.
- Repeat this process 3- 4 times daily.
19. Home Remedies For Tooth Infection – Keep Oral Hygiene
This is worth mentioning in the list of natural home remedies for tooth infection that has been recommended by dentists. According to a study , brushing and rinsing teeth at least twice a day to remove the plaque from your tooth surface. Addition to this, you should use dental floss after each meal in order to clean the plaque causing decay.
20. Change Eating Habits
This is the last one among home remedies for tooth infection and swelling that we would like to mention in this interesting article. For good oral health, you should try to consume foods that contain fiber, calcium, and vitamin C. Also remember to limit sugar and sweets before going to bed as well as keep away from soft foods with stickiness because these foods can create an ideal environment for bacteria to grow.
Other tips when it comes to learning home remedies for tooth infection:
- Use a mouthwash containing antimicrobial properties to rinse your mouth in order to prevent infection .
- Avoid smoking and chewing too much gum.
- Change your toothbrush every 3- 4 months.
- Visit a dentist for regular checkups.
After reading this article, we hope that you can find some effective natural treatments that can help you cure your tooth infection. Actually, all home remedies as mentioned above are effective in reducing the pain, swelling and inflammation associated with tooth infection without causing unwanted side effects. In case you know other home remedies for tooth infection pain, feel free to share them with other readers by dropping your words below.