Varicose veins are known as a common health problem with abnormally enlarged veins close to the surface of the skin. They often occur in the thighs and calves when the veins develop poorly functioning valves or weakened walls. This health condition can cause fatigue, pain, restlessness, and feelings of tingling, burning or heaviness in the legs. Medical treatments for varicose veins may be very costly. And, you can try some natural treatments to reduce the severity of varicose veins and simultaneously reduce the discomfort associated with this condition.
- 21 Home Remedies For Psoriasis On Face, Hands, Legs & Scalp/ 15 Tips How To Get Rid Of Cramps In Legs, Hands, Feet, & Stomach Fast
List Of Home Remedies For Varicose Veins In Legs, Feet And On Face
If you are suffering from the pain and inflammation caused by varicose veins, you do not need to feel worried because these symptoms can be relieved by applying some simple home remedies. Now, Healthy Guide will show you some simple yet effective home remedies for varicose veins pain that you can apply with ease at home.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Varicose Veins
Some common causes of varicose veins include:
- Age: As you age, your veins may lose their elasticity, making them stretch more easily. Then, the valves in the veins can become weak, making blood that should move toward the heart flow backward. Blood is in your veins, making them enlarge and becoming varicose.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy can increase the blood volume in the body, but decrease the blood flow from the legs to the pelvis. These circulatory changes can cause enlarged veins in the legs. Besides, hormonal changes during pregnancy are also a reason for the appearance of varicose veins.
- Heredity: Family history can increase the risk of getting varicose veins.
- Obesity: Being overweight may put added pressure on the veins.
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time: Holding the same position for a long time can inhibit your blood flow,
- Other triggering factors such as use of birth control pills, hormonal changes, constipation, etc.
List of 10 Best And Simple Pregnancy Yoga Poses For Pregnant Women will show you some of the best pregnancy yoga poses that are suited for pregnant women, so check it out!
Varicose veins may not lead to any pain. Some common signs and symptoms of varicose veins that you can experience include:
- Veins that are dark blue or purple
- Veins that appear bulging and twisted
- An achy feeling in the legs
- Burning, swelling and muscle cramping in the lower legs
- Severe pain after standing or sitting for a long time
- Bleeding from varicose veins
II. Home Remedies For Varicose Veins Pain
The pain and swelling caused by varicose veins can be managed with home remedies, exercises and diet changes. Now, we will reveal some easy home remedies that can help you know how to reduce the symptoms of varicose veins and prevent this condition from worsening.
1. Lose Weight
Being overweight can put stress on your body’s parts and make you less active. Individuals who are overweight find difficult to pump blood from the legs back to the heart. Moreover, being overweight also means that there is more blood in the blood vessels, which creates more strain and stress on these blood vessels. Therefore, if you want to reduce the symptoms of varicose veins, you need to keep your weight in check.
Read on 23 Tips How To Maintain A Healthy Weight Without Exercise & Harsh Dieting to discover some of the best tips that can help you maintain a healthy weight without needing to follow a harsh diet and exercise.
2. Home Remedies For Varicose Veins On Face – Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is known as a natural treatment for varicose veins. This is because this ingredient is rich in vitamin C and bioflavonoids, so it can help increase blood flow and reduce the pain of swollen veins. To use cayenne pepper for treating varicose veins, follow the instructions below:
- Add 1 tsp. of powdered cayenne pepper to a cup of boiling water
- Then, mix it well.
- Drink it 3 times daily for 1-2 months.
To know some of the best ways to reduce leg pain and swelling naturally and effectively, read on Top 26 Best Home Remedies For Leg Pain And Swelling Relief
3. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is an effective herb for enhancing blood vessels, hence reducing the symptoms of varicose veins. Aside from containing astringent properties, this herb is also rich in gallic acid and a few essential oils, which help reduce the pain and swelling.
- Soak a clean washcloth in some witch hazel
- Then, place it on your affected area.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times daily for about 1-2 months.
- Fill a tub with some warm water
- Then, add 10-20 drops of distilled witch hazel to the tub.
- Soak your legs in it for more than 15 minutes.
- Finally, wash your legs with some clean water and then pat them dry.
- Repeat this remedy once daily for about 1-2 months.
If you want to know some of the best ways to treat spider veins on face and other body’s parts, read on 45 Tips How To Get Rid Of Spider Veins On Face, Nose, Chest, Legs & Ankles
This is another great one among home remedies for varicose veins on face that we want to mention in this article. According to a research , using garlic is a natural treatment for inflammation and other symptoms of varicose veins. It helps remove harmful toxins from the blood vessels and simultaneously improve blood circulation. Now, if you want to use garlic as a varicose veins treatment, you just need to take the following steps:
- Slice up 5-6 garlic cloves and then place them in a clean jar.
- Then, take out the juice from 3 oranges and pour it into the jar.
- Also, add 2 tbsp. of virgin olive oil to it.
- Let it sit on for about 12 hours.
- Now, shake the jar and place some drops of this solution on your fingers.
- Use it to massage your inflamed veins in circular motions for about 15 minutes.
- Use a cotton cloth to wrap your affected area and leave it on overnight.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a few months.
- At the same time, add fresh garlic to your diet plan.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is known as a great home remedy for varicose veins. It can cleanse your body and simultaneously improve blood circulation. When your blood flows naturally, the swelling and heaviness of varicose veins will be reduced. To use apple cider vinegar for treating varicose veins, you can apply either of the following methods:
- Apply some raw apple cider vinegar on your varicose veins
- Gently massage it for a few minutes.
- Repeat this remedy daily before going to bed and after waking up in the morning, for a few months.
- Add 2 tsp. of undiluted apple cider vinegar to a cup of water
- Mix it well before drinking it
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for more than one month.
Read More: 30 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp, Hair Loss
6. Olive Oil
If you do not know natural home remedies for varicose veins in feet, you should try making use of olive oil. Increasing blood flow and circulation is very important for treating varicose veins. Actually, using some olive oil to massage your affected area can help increase blood circulation, hence reducing inflammation and pain associated with varicose veins.
- Mix equal amounts of vitamin E oil and olive oil
- Then, slightly warm this oil mixture.
- Massage your varicose veins with this warm oil mixture for a few minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for 1-2 months.
- Mix 4 drops of cypress oil in about 2 tsp. of warm olive oil
- Then, massage your affected area with this oil mixture.
See More: 19 Ways To Use Olive Oil For Acne Skin & Scars Treatment On Face
7. Horse Chestnut Seeds
The horse chestnut seeds have been used to treat the symptoms of varicose veins. This is because they have anti-swelling and anti-inflammatory properties, which help effectively increase venous tone, hence reducing the appearance of varicose veins. Especially, the extract of horse chestnut seeds contains a substance called aescin, which helps improve the strength of veins and simultaneously prevent the production of enzymes damaging capillary walls. Therefore, horse chestnut extract is one of the most effective home remedies for varicose veins in feet that you should try out!
- Apply horse chestnut seed gel onto your affected area
- Repeat this remedy twice daily to reduce pain and swelling.
- Take 300mg of horse chestnut supplements twice daily.
- Note: Do not consume raw horse chestnut because it is rich in a toxic substance called esculin. Also, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid this remedy.
8. Butcher’s Broom
Butcher’s broom is effective in reducing the pain and discomfort associated with varicose veins. This is because this herb contains a compound called ruscogenins, which help reduce inflammation thanks to its anti-inflammatory effects.
You can consider using butcher’s broom supplements that contain vitamins B, C, chromium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium, manganese, zinc and silicon. All of these nutrients can help reduce inflammation in the veins and simultaneously increase blood flow to the legs. Take about 100mg of butcher’s broom supplements 3 times daily. Just keep in mind that people with benign prostate hyperplasia and high blood pressure should avoid taking this herb.
9. Home Remedies For Varicose Veins On Face – Parsley
When it comes to learning home remedies for varicose veins pain, you should try using parsley. Parsley is packed with vitamin C, which stimulates the collagen production and helps with cell repair. Also, it contains rutin, which has been found to enhance the capillaries, hence reducing varicose veins symptoms.
- Add some chopped fresh parsley to a cup of water
- Then, bring it to a boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool to lukewarm.
- Now, strain the solution and add 1 drop each of marigold and rose essential oils.
- Place this solution in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Next, apply this solution to your affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a few months.
- Alternatively, consume raw parsley as often as possible.
According to a research , the marigold flower is rich in vitamin C and flavonoids, which help stimulate the collagen production and help with cell repair. Also, it helps increase blood circulation, hence reducing the symptoms of varicose veins.
- Add a cup of marigold flowers to about 4 cups of water
- Bring it to a boil for about 5 minutes.
- Then, dip a cotton cloth in this solution before placing it on your affected area.
- Leave it on there until it cools down completely.
- Repeat this remedy a few times daily for a few months.
- Alternatively, consume some fresh marigold petals.
There are other home remedies for varicose veins in feet and legs in this article. Therefore, you should keep both of your eyes on this interesting article and then try applying any of these natural remedies, especially if you want to get rid of this condition with natural ingredients.
11. Grapevine Leaves
Grapevine leaves are rich in flavonoids, which have been found to keep the veins healthy. These leaves also contain anti-inflammatory, astringent, and antioxidant properties, which are effective in treating varicose veins.
- Add a cup of grapevine leaves to about 4 cups of water
- Bring it to a boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Let it steep for a few minutes until it cools down.
- Then, pour this solution into a bucket before soaking your affected area in the solution for about 5 minutes.
- Place your affected area in another bucket packed with cold water for about 10 seconds.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times, ending with a cold water soak.
- Next, massage your affected area with castor oil in an upward direction.
- Finally, keep your legs elevated for a few minutes.
12. Gentle Massage
Gentle massage is an effective way to increase blood circulation, hence treating the symptoms of varicose veins. Simply, gently massage the legs in upward strokes with coconut oil or olive oil. You can add some peppermint or wintergreen oil for soothing effects. Just remember that you do not use pressure directly on your affected veins. Actually, this is another great one among home remedies for varicose veins in legs that you should try out!
13. Mud Packs
Applying a mudpack to your affected legs can help reduce the symptoms of varicose veins. Fuller’s earth is a great option for mudpacks. Simply, mix the clay with some water and then apply it to your affected area before going to bed. The next morning, wash it off with warm water and pat it dry. When the clay dries out, it will have a tightening effect and promote blood flow. Besides, the clay also has a detoxifying effect, remove impurities from the blood vessels.
Actually, this is another great way among natural home remedies for varicose veins pain that you should not forget, yet try to make use for good.
14. Grape Seed Extract
According to a study , the grape seed extract contains antioxidant substances such as linoleic acids, flavonoids and vitamin E. These powerful antioxidants help prevent harmful free radical from damaging the walls of your blood vessels. Addition to this, they also stimulate the production of collagen, which helps keep the connective tissues elastic and simultaneously improve the walls of your blood vessels. You can use grape seed powder or grape seed extracts. You can also use grape seed oil orally or topically to reduce inflammation and pain and simultaneously strengthen the veins.
15. Home Remedies For Varicose Veins On Face – Gotu Kola
This herb has been used as one of the most effective home remedies for varicose veins in feet for years. The dried herb powder or herb extract is taken orally to cure venous insufficiency. It helps reduce leakage from veins and simultaneously relieve inflammation as well as water retention. Besides, the compound called triterpenoids found in this herb can improve the blood vessels and simultaneously improve blood circulation. Topical application aids to heal ulcers, wounds and dermatitis by stimulating blood flow to your affected area.
16. Chamomile Oil
This is worth mentioning in the list of home remedies for varicose veins on face that you should try making use. Chamomile oil is soothing and it can help relieve the discomfort and heaviness caused by varicose veins, especially when you have to stand for some time. Mix some chamomile oil with coconut oil and then massage your legs with this oil mixture before bed.
17. Helichrysum Oil
This oil is a great natural treatment for varicose veins thanks to its anticoagulant and anesthetic properties. This oil can help prevent the formation of enlarged veins. Simply, apply 2-3 drops of Helichrysum oil in order to relieve pain and swelling and simultaneously increase the blood flow through the veins.
18. Pine Bark Extract
Pine bark extract has been found to be good for varicose veins, making it one of the best home remedies for varicose veins in feet. It contains many essential compounds that have beneficial effects, including reducing varicose veins and inflammation. Take pine bark extract orally has been found to enhance the walls of your blood vessels and keep them elastic. By lowering blood pressure and increasing blood circulation, this extract can help reduce many varicose veins symptoms like leg cramps and pain.
Applying pressure on the legs with particular compression stockings may be a great remedy for varicose veins. The gentle yet consistent pressure can compress the veins, hence helping the valves function more properly to prevent the backflow. When applied at the first stages of this condition, compression stockings can help prevent this condition from worsening or even reverse it. There are some different types of compression garments; therefore, you should ask your healthcare provider to find out what is the best option for your condition.
20. Home Remedies For Varicose Veins In Feet – Increase Activity
Sedentary lifestyles are not good for varicose veins. If you have varicose veins, sitting and standing for long periods of time should be avoided. To increase blood circulation, according to a study , walking is a great activity. If you have a desk job, you should take frequent breaks in order to stretch the legs. Place the legs on a chair at a proper height and move the ankles in circular motions to help with blood circulation. In case you have to stand for long periods of time, you should keep moving.
21. Have A Proper Diet
This is the last but very important one among home remedies for varicose veins in feet that we want to reveal in this article and want all of my readers who have varicose veins to apply for good.
Deficiency of B vitamins  and alcohol consumption can elevate homocysteine levels, which can damage the wall of the blood vessels, hence increasing the risk of getting varicose veins. You can get these essential vitamins through foods such as tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey, shrimp, sweet potatoes, avocados, bananas, sunflower seeds, broccoli, lima beans, lentils and egg.
Addition to this, you also need to include anti-inflammatory foods in your diet plan to relieve pain and swelling. Some great food options for you are leafy vegetables, oily fish, beets, nuts, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, turmeric, onion, whole grains, berries and cherries.
With these home remedies as mentioned above, you can relieve the swelling, pain and discomfort caused by varicose veins, and simultaneously reduces their appearance. Addition to this, you should regularly exercise such as walking, bicycling, or swimming in order to increase blood circulation and flow in the legs.
After reading this interesting article, we hope that you can find out what are best-suited solutions for your condition. Actually, all of these natural treatments above can be applied at home without causing any unwanted side effect, so you can feel secure when applying any of them at the comfort of your own home. Besides, if you know other effective home remedies for varicose veins pain, remember to share them with us by dropping your words below.
Leave a Reply