Alopecia affects many people in the world. Apart from being a part of aging, there are many other medical reasons for excessive hair loss. Generally, alopecia initially appears as bald spots on the hair scalp. It is often related to thyroid disorders since the hormonal balance is important for shutting off hair follicles. As this hair condition can become worse, it is necessary to treat it as soon as possible.
- 23 Ways On How To Stop Hair Loss Naturally In Men And Women/ Top 30 Natural Hair Loss Treatments For Men And Women
List Of Best Ways On How To Treat Alopecia Naturally At Home People Can Apply
In this article, I will show you some of the best ways on how to treat alopecia in men and in women naturally at home that every one of you can make use of them easily at your own home without making any mistake or having any unwanted side effect. All of these natural treatments are safe and easy to apply at the comfort of your own home without causing any side effect. So, if you are worried about the effects of alopecia and want to get rid of this hair problem with the help of natural ingredients, you should keep both of your eyes on this interesting article right now.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Alopecia
Alopecia is a hair condition in which hair often fall out in a few round patches. There are some different types of alopecia. Genetics and some specific environmental factors can be the causes behind this hair condition.
Some common symptoms of alopecia include:
- Tingling in the bald patches
- Uneven hair loss over a short time
- Hair near the bald patches could be fallen out easily.
Alopecia is considered as an autoimmune disease. When the hair follicles are attacked by immune system, they will reduce their size and then stop generating new hair. And this will lead to hair loss. Although the exact cause of this hair condition is unknown, experts found that some factors can put people at high risk of alopecia. These factors include:
- The family history of autoimmune diseases, including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, type-1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, etc.
- Low immune system
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Unhealthy foods
- Hormonal imbalance
- Deficiency of nutrients
- Harsh hair care products
List of 15 Best Home Remedies For Hair Fall Treatment And Prevention will show you some of the best tips that can help you prevent and reduce hair fall, so check it out!
II. Top 28 Simple Home Remedies For Alopecia
Generally, there are about 100,000 hair strands on your scalp and it is normal to lose about 50- 100 hair strands a day. However, when you lose more than that, you should take some action immediately to prevent it from becoming baldness or bald spots.
1. Chinese Hibiscus
This is the first one on how to treat alopecia in men and women at home naturally and easily that I want to mention in this article, and want all of my readers with alopecia should consider applying for good.
Chinese hibiscus has vitamin C, riboflavin, and phosphorous, which are essential nutrients for healthy and smooth hair. Besides, the hibiscus flowers also help to eliminate toxins, increase blood circulation, thereby stimulating hair growth.
- Add 10 Chinese hibiscus flowers to 2 cups of pure coconut oil.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and when the hibiscus flowers are charred, strain it and then take the oil
- Then, apply this oil on your scalp and hair before going to bed every night and wash it off the next morning.
- Crush several hibiscus flowers and then mix it with coconut oil or sesame oil to create a paste.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and hair and leave it on for several hours.
- Finally, rinse it off with clean water.
- Repeat this remedy 2- 3 times weekly for about a month.
Read on Top 17 Health And Nutritional Benefits Of Hibiscus Tea to discover some of the best benefits of hibiscus tea for health.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has antioxidants that can give your hair a natural sheen. Also, coconut oil contains antimicrobial properties that support to fight scalp infections. To use coconut use as a treatment for alopecia, take the following steps:
- Slightly warm 1- 2 tbsp. of coconut oil
- Gently apply the coconut oil to your scalp andhair roots.
- Massage it in circular motions and then either leave it on for half an hour or overnight
- Then, shampoo your hair as usual.
- Repeat this remedy every alternate day until you see your desired results.
- Note: Remember to wash the hair within a day of using the coconut oil. If not, your hair can become greasy and attract dirt and dust as well.
3. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is rich in healthy fats and vitamin E that help in moisturizing your hair and keeping it strong. Besides, the coconut milk is high in potassium, which is another essential mineral for hair growth. Therefore, using coconut milk on your hair can help reduce hair loss. Massaging your scalp with coconut milk on a regular basis can offer a protective effect against hair loss. Directions:
- Prepare coconut milk by grinding the grated coconut and taking out its milk
- Apply a cup of coconut milk to your scalp with a hair dye brush.
- Then, use a towel to cover your head and let it sit on for 20 minutes
- Next, remove the towel before washing your hair using cold water
- Finally, shampoo your hair as normal
- Follow this method once a week.
4. Olive Oil, Honey And Cinnamon
The mixture of olive oil, honey and cinnamon can help to form a hair pack for treating alopecia. You just need to mix olive oil, honey and cinnamon and then apply this hair pack to your hair. Apply this remedy once a week for the best results. Actually, this hair pack can moisturize your, and stimulate the scalp and hair growth.
To know some of the best natural treatments that men and women with baldness should apply at home, read on 53 Natural Home Remedies For Baldness In Males And Females
When it comes to great ways on how to treat alopecia in men and women naturally at home, you should consider using Fenugreek. Actually, Fenugreek seeds can help to stimulate hair growth and rebuild hair follicles. Also, these seeds make your hair shiny, long and strong. To use fenugreek to treat the effects of alopecia, you can apply any of the following methods:
- Soak 2 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds in water and let it sit on overnight.
- Crush these seeds to get a paste the next morning.
- Blend this mixture with some water to add the consistency.
- Then, add 4 tbsp. of yogurt and an egg white to the paste
- Apply this paste on your scalp and hair and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with clean water.
If you want to know some of the best home remedies that can help to stimulate the hair growth, read on Top 20 Natural Home Remedies For Hair Growth And Strength
- Fry some fenugreek seeds in coconut oil.
- Cool and then strain it.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair
- Repeat this remedy once or twice monthly.
- Soak 2 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds in water overnight
- Grind the seeds and then make a paste the next morning.
- Then, apply this paste to your hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Let it sit on for about 40 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
Read on Top 21 Best Nutrients For Hair Growth And Development to discover some of the best nutrients that you should get more to stimulate the hair growth.
6. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac contains powerful antibacterial properties that can help you treat dandruff, keep your scalp healthy and stimulate hair growth. Also, Indian lilac increases blood flow to the skin, hence nourishing your hair roots. Now, you just need to take the following steps if you want to use Indian lilac as a treatment for alopecia.
- Boil 10- 12 dry Indian lilac leaves in water until the water level reduces to half its quantity.
- Leave it on until the mixture cools down.
- Then, rinse off your hair with this mixture after you shampoo as normal.
- Repeat this remedy once per week.
- Note: Using Indian lilac for hair can cause eye burning. So, you should ensure that the Indian lilac water does not get into the eyes when washing off your hair with this water.
When you are looking for great ways on how to treat alopecia in women and men at home naturally, you should not skip potatoes. Actually, potatoes contain vitamin C, potassium and iron. All of these nutrients are important for hair health. A study has also found that a lack of potassium could result in alopecia. As a result, you should consider adding more of the potassium-rich foods to your diet for good.
- Wash a potato thoroughly and then peel its skin.
- Then, cut the potato into some small pieces before placing them in a blender.
- Add some water to the puree in case it is too thick
- Strain this puree into a small bowl with a muslin cloth to get the potato juice.
- After that, add 1 tsp. each of water and honey and then mix them well.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp, and let it sit on for half an hour.
- Finally, rinse it off using your mild shampoo
- Repeat this remedy once a week.
8. Onion Juice
Onion contains antibacterial properties that can help to kill off the bacteria causing scalp infections. Moreover, onion juice also has a high content of sulfur; therefore, it can increase blood circulation to your hair follicles, treat infected follicles and also stimulate the hair growth.
- Grate the onion and then take out its juice.
- Then, soak a cotton ball into the onion juice and apply it onto your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for half an hour before rinsing it off with cold water.
- Finally, shampoo your hair as usual.
- Squeeze an onion to take out its juice.
- Add 1- 2 tsp. of honey to the onion juice. To reduce the smell, consider mixing some rose water with onions.
- Then, apply this mixture on your hair and let it sit on for 40- 50 minutes before washing it off.
- Alternatively, crush a few garlic cloves and then boil them in some coconut oil for several minutes.
- When this mixture is still warm, use this mixture to massage your scalp.
- Repeat this remedy once a week.
- Note: Be careful when using onion juice on your hair because it can cause discomfort and a burning sensation. In case this juice gets into the eyes, you need to wash them with cold water.
9. Lemon Juice
This is another great way on how to treat alopecia in men and women at home naturally that I want to mention in this article and want all of my male readers to apply for good. According to a study about best homemade natural astringents , lemons contain powerful astringent properties that can help tighten the pores, hence reduce hair fall. Moreover, lemons also have alpha-hydroxy acids that help to treat dandruff and remove dead cells. Plus, lemons are high in vitamin C, which is a vital nutrient to your healthy hair.
- Cut 2-3 lemons to get a cup of lemon juice.
- Strain the lemon juice with a muslin cloth and then mix it with a cup of warm water
- After washing the hair, gently pour the mixture over your hair and scalp
- Massage it and leave it on for 5 minutes
- Finally, rinse it off using cool water.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice a week.
- Note: Despite being safe, remember that lemons contain acids. Therefore, close your eyes when pouring the lemon juice over your hair. Also, do not use this remedy too frequently because it can cause hair dryness.
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is another natural treatment for alopecia. Actually, aloe vera can help to promote a healthy scalp, keep your hair healthy and also prevent alopecia. Aloe vera with its natural properties can help to prevent both seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff, making it a great remedy for alopecia where this hair condition is present.
- Wash off your hair and then rub some aloe vera gel into your hair.
- Massage your scalp in circular motions and leave it on for 15 minutes
- Then, rinse it off with cold water
- Repeat this process 3 times a week, ideally after taking a head bath in the morning.
11. Stinging Nettle
Another one among natural remedies for alopecia is stinging nettle. It can work by preventing testosterone from being converted to the DHT, which can result in hair loss. Just remember that you should avoid using stinging nettle if you are a pregnant or nursing woman or you are taking medications for blood pressure.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
Organic apple cider vinegar can help to promote hair growth and treat dandruff and fungal infections, making it one of the best ways on how to treat alopecia in men and in women naturally at home. You should dilute1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar in about 4 cups of water. Then, pour this mixture over your hair after you shampoo as normal. Just note that you do not use this remedy daily.
13. Amla Oil
One of the best ways on how to treat alopecia in both men and women at home naturally without requiring the intervention of any medication is amla oil. This oil is applied to the scalp to nourish the hair and strengthen the hair follicles thanks to its essential fatty acids. You can use this oil instead of your conditioner. Just apply it on your hair then leave it on for about 30 minutes. For the better result, cover your hair using a shower cap. Finally, you wash it off with lukewarm water.
According to a study about the miracle of wheatgrass , wheatgrass is a great source of nutrients that can help promote an overall health. Wheatgrass is useful when consumed its juice right away. However, consult your doctor before consuming it, especially if you are nursing, pregnant, or have a weakened immune system. However, as it is consumed raw, wheatgrass can be contaminated by bacteria.
There are other effective ways on how to treat alopecia in men and women in this article. So, if you want to stimulate hair growth, and keep your eyes healthy and strong, you should keep reading this interesting article right now.
Another one of the natural remedies for alopecia is horsetail, which is rich in silica. Although there is no scientific evidence for its ability to stop hair loss and stimulate the hair regrowth, horsetail will be surely beneficial to the hair.
16. Green Tea
Green tea has become a great way on how to treat alopecia in men and women naturally at home that people can make use with ease. A study has found that green tea prevented hair loss and stimulated hair growth in mice due to its high levels of polyphenols. Besides, there are lots of other health benefits of green tea, so you should give this remedy a try if you want to treat alopecia.
17. Gingko Biloba
The secret behind gingko biloba’s effect as an alopecia treatment is that it can help increase blood circulation to the brain, and provide the hair follicles with more nutrients, thereby stimulating hair growth. Actually, this is another great way on how to treat alopecia in men and women at home naturally that you should not look down, yet consider applying for good.
18. Reishi Mushroom
According to a study about herbal remedies for hair loss , the Reishi mushroom is considered as a useful tool to battle with alopecia. It has been found to stimulate the healthy scalp that may involve in healthy hair growth. However, you should avoid taking Reishi mushroom if you are using anticoagulant medications or are suffering from problems with blood pressure.
19. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt can work as a natural hair conditioner. It consists of vitamin B5 and proteins that are good for hair. Besides, honey has antibacterial properties that can help to protect your hair from damage. Plus, it contains probiotics, which can stimulate the hair growth. Now, if you want to reduce hair fall, and stimulate hair growth with the help of Greek yogurt, you should follow the instructions below:
- Mix 2 tbsp. of Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. of honey with the lemon juice from a lemon.
- Then, mix all of the ingredients to get a paste
- Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp with a hair dye brush
- Leave it on for half an hour before rinsing it off with cold water.
- Apply this remedy once a week. If you get dry hair, you should apply this remedy twice a week.
20. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil is also a great essential oil that can help you treat alopecia naturally. It can stimulate hair growth without causing any side effect. Simply, mix some rosemary oil with any carrier oil and then massage this oil blend onto the scalp. Otherwise, you can boil and strain some rosemary leaves in water. Then, wash off your hair with the rosemary water.
In fact, this is known as a great way on how to treat alopecia in men and in women at home naturally that you should know and then consider adding rosemary oil in your haircare routine to treat the effects of alopecia.
21. Lavender Oil
This calming essential oil can be used to reduce anxiety and stress, and improve your overall health. Besides, this oil is a great home remedy for alopecia by strengthening the hair follicles and stimulating hair growth. To use lavender oil in order to treat the effects of alopecia, you just need to follow the instructions below.
- Mix some lavender oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil or almond oil
- Then, apply this oil blend to your hair.
- Alternatively, mix the lavender oil with cedarwood, thyme and rosemary oil with any carrier oil such as jojoba and grapeseed oil.
22. Mustard Oil
Using some mustard oil can keep your alopecia at bay. This oil can help you boost hair growth, increase the hair volume and also reduce hair loss. Simply, boil some mustard oil. Crush some henna leaves and then mix it with the mustard oil. Next, allow it to cool down, strain it, and then apply this oil blend on your scalp.
23. Almond Oil
Another effective way on how to treat alopecia in women and men at home naturally that you should try out is almond oil. Actually, this oil can be included in your hair care because it can help increase hair growth. Actually, using almond oil frequently can help reduce split ends and dandruff. Also, it helps to stop hair fall. Simply, apply some almond oil to your hair. Let it sit on overnight, and wash it off with warm water the next morning.
24. Licorice Root
Licorice root can also help to rejuvenate your scalp, treat dandruff, and prevent infections causing hair loss. Studies have shown that the licorice root can stimulate hair growth, especially in women. You just need to add milk and saffron to the licorice root powder. Then, apply this mixture to your scalp and hair and leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with lukewarm water.
Raw honey can be used as a home remedy for alopecia. It helps to reduce infections related to hair loss. If used over a long period of time, honey can keep your alopecia at bay. You just need to use raw honey or mix honey with equal amounts of curd, onion juice or lemon juice and then apply it on your scalp. Finally, wash it off after leaving it on for about 15 minutes.
26. Curry Leaves
Other effective ways on how to treat alopecia in women and men that you should make use must include curry leaves. This is because these leaves contain many essential nutrients that can help prevent hair loss, and stimulate the hair follicle regrowth. Therefore, it can be a natural treatment for alopecia.
- Place 5–6 curry leaves in a pan, and then add some coconut oil to the pan.
- Then, place this mixture in a vessel filled with water and bring it to a boil.
- Let the gel cool and then apply it twice a week.
- Leave it on for overnight, and rinse it off the next morning.
Another one among the great ways on how to treat alopecia in men and in women you should know and make use right from today after reading this entire article is flaxseeds. Actually, flaxseeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, so they can help to prevent further hair loss and also stimulate hair growth. Now, you should take the following steps if you want to use flaxseeds to treat the effects of alopecia.
- Consume 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds with some water every morning.
- Also, add some flaxseeds to your soups, salads, smoothies, and other delicious dishes.
- Alternatively, apply some flaxseed oil onto your hair.
Beetroot juice contains protein, carbohydrates, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamins B and C, all of which are good for healthy hair growth. You just need to include beetroot juice in your diet. Alternatively, you can grind some boiled beetroot leaves along with henna. Then, you apply this paste on your hair and scalp. Let it sit on for 15- 20 minutes before washing it off with clean water. Repeat this remedy several times a week.
III. How To Treat Alopecia Through Diet And Lifestyle Changes
As the hair loss can be permanent or just temporary, it is necessary to go for treatment. Here are some simple ways on how to treat alopecia in women and in men naturally at home that you can experiment with ease.
1. Have A Vitamin C- Rich Diet
One of the best ways to reduce the alopecia effects is to follow a vitamin C-rich diet. Actually, vitamin C can be found in citrus fruits as well as green leafy veggies. These foods also help stimulate the hair growth and reverse the hair condition. Therefore, you should try to add vitamin C-rich foods to your diet plan for good.
2. Prevent Stress
Stress is one of the common causes of hair falling. To deal with this, you should try to avoid stress- causing situations. Also, you should relax your hair and scalp by massaging the scalp while brushing the hair. Some stress relievers you can try out include yoga, meditation, spending time being outdoors, etc. If needed, you should relax and then reduce the intensity of your working.
3. Cover Hair With A Wet Towel
This may be the simplest home remedy for alopecia that I want to mention in this article. You just need to dip a clean towel in hot water and then take out its excess moisture. Cover your head with this towel for about 10 minutes. Repeat this simple way once a week. And, you can add some almond oil to your hot bathwater in order to soak your towel for the better results.
Probiotics can help to treat many autoimmune conditions, including alopecia. Probiotic supplements should be taken to improve your immune system. Also, you should add probiotic foods to your daily diet, such as kefir, cultured vegetables, apple cider vinegar and yogurt.
According to a research , ginseng is a herbal medicine that can help to reduce inflammation and increase immune function. A study found that red ginseng can work as an effective treatment for alopecia. There are many kinds of ginseng available, including the forms of powder and tablet.
Do you want to know other effective ways on how to treat alopecia in women and men naturally at home? Keep reading this entire article and then try to apply one or more of these natural treatments as soon as possible, if you want to get rid of the effects of alopecia.
Zinc may be used as a natural treatment for alopecia. It can help to improve your immune system. Besides, zinc is a vital mineral for healthy hair follicles. Researchers suggest that taking zinc supplements can have a therapeutic effect, especially for patients who are deficient in zinc. Also, it is very important for you to consume zinc-rich foods such as pumpkin seeds, lamb, grass-fed beef, chickpeas, yogurt, cashews and spinach.
7. Eat Anti-Inflammatory Foods
One of the most effective ways to treat an autoimmune disease is to eat anti-inflammatory foods that will help to reduce inflammation and stimulate the recovery. Some anti-inflammatory foods for you are beets, broccoli, nuts, blueberries, seeds, turmeric, ginger, wild-caught salmon, coconut oil and bone broth. They may be helpful to those with alopecia who have nutrient deficiencies.
Protein is very important for hair health, so it is very important for you to ensure that you consume enough protein for your healthy hair growth. Some great sources of protein are meat, dairy products, seeds, beans, fish, nuts and eggs. Actually, getting enough protein is a great way on how to treat alopecia that you should not look down, but try to add these protein-rich foods to your daily diet for good.
9. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids are good for maintaining a healthy scalp and promoting healthy hair growth. You can get enough omega-3s from eggs, seeds, and nuts. A great source of omega 3s is walnuts, which are good for hair health by adding a handful of walnuts to your desserts and breakfast cereals. Another great source of omega 3s is oily fish such as sardines, tuna and salmon. Also, the canned varieties are also good for healthy hair.
Low levels of iron can cause hair loss, so you should check your iron levels in case you are losing your hair. You can either take iron supplements or pay attention to your intake of iron. Some great sources of iron  include meat, blackstrap molasses, oatmeal, spinach, soybeans and lentils. Your body can absorb iron more in case you increase your intake of vitamin C, so you should try consuming fruits along with your meals.
When it comes to simple ways on how to treat alopecia in woman and in men naturally at home through diet, you should not skip biotin, yet try to either take biotin supplements or consume biotin-rich foods for good. Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin, which can help you make your hair healthy. It can be found in egg yolk, liver, yeast, cheese, avocado and raspberries. Besides, you can consider taking biotin supplements if you want to treat the effects of alopecia.
12. Avoid Using Hair Styling Tools
Using poor styling techniques can cause hair loss; for example, the use of harsh chemicals and too much heat. Exposing the hair to high temperatures is able to destroy the proteins and also damage the protective cuticles on your hair. When this occurs, the moisture balance will be disrupted, making it easy to fall off. Ideally, you should reduce the use of hot styling tools to not more than twice per week. Also, use a heat protection spray before using hot styling tools to protect your hair.
13. Avoid Washing Your Hair Too Much
This is the last but very important way on how to treat alopecia in men and women at home naturally without using medication and drugs that I want to mention in this article and want all of my readers to apply for good. In fact, washing your hair too much can remove the essential oils from your hair and scalp needs, leaving your hair dry and easy to breakout. The best idea for you is to wash the hair every two days. Also, you should use a sulfate-free shampoo in order to prevent hair dryness.
The natural treatments for alopecia as I mentioned above are safe for both oral and topical use. However, if you have any unwanted side effect, stop applying these treatments and then ask your nutritionist for guidance. After reading this interesting article and applying one or more of these remedies, we hope that you and my other readers of Healthy Guide can find the best solutions to treat the effects of alopecia. Also, if you know anybody around you who are suffering from hair loss due to alopecia, feel free to share this list with them as soon as possible. One more thing, if you know other natural treatments for alopecia, remember to share them with other readers by leaving your comments below.